Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Dead Man Posting posted:

wrong 100x wrong and should he the first thing you disable in left 4 dead

disable left 4 dead

disable all games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Dead Man Posting posted:

wrong 100x wrong and should he the first thing you disable in left 4 dead

fake film grain is some uncanny valley poo poo and it bugs the hell out of me

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
except in the Instagram style photo filters, those I don't mind for some reason

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

ahmeni posted:

film grain owns

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

ahmeni posted:

film grain owns

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

pagancow posted:

basically 2013 is bad because youtube has deemed that 4.5mbps AVC level 4.1 is enough for 1920x1080 (it's not by pagancow standards)

you'll love the fact that itunes 1080p purchases are the same, except i think level 4.0. ironically i think their free 1080p movie trailers are higher bitrate

the fact of the matter is that most people give approximately zero fucks about picture quality and are far more likely to bitch about their download taking "forever" and/or not being able to upload a 1080p movie on their 16 gig ipad, than they are about the picture being slightly blurry/blocky.

edit: even better, itunes started multi-languages in the same file on their store. The Hobbit is 6.5 gigs for 2 hours and 50 minutes at 1080p, with which I'm assuming is 384kbps dd 5.1 english, and probably 128kbps stereo for french and spanish. by my math that's 4.5 megabits leftover for the video, but there are extras in this file too so it might be even less.

univbee fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 19, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ahmeni posted:

fake film grain is some uncanny valley poo poo and it bugs the hell out of me

thats like 90% of the "film grain" you'll see in anything modern tho

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

lmao at adding film grain in post

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
BSGs film grain and style in the first season (super high contrast grainy) used to annoy me enough that I didn't watch the show before I could watch it on Blu-Ray and see something that wasn't just macroblocks where the grain should have been.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

lmao at adding film grain in post

it gets done with every Hollywood release so i guess lol at every hollywood film

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

How do DCTs work?

http://faculty.gvsu.edu/aboufade/web/wavelets/student_work/EF/how-works.html

I didn't take math in school so i'm all herp derp about this.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
all projection film print deliveries will stop in the us Q4 2013 and stop globally Q4 2015.

if a theater refuses to switch over from film still, they're stuck either only showing older movies or paying something like $25,000 extra per copy to have special printing runs done.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
really nice digital projectors in theaters are definitely better than film but ~however

in my city theres like four theaters but for some reason half of the individual theater screens are great and half suck. some have larger screens and maybe lower res projectors because i can literally tell there's pixels there but then again i have like 20/15 eyesight and am sperg traied to look for that poo poo so w/e. oh also that weird dlp wavery effect on grey and white. but the theaters with smaller screens have better picture quality. and like im talking probably 2/3rds of imax big compared to like a quarter of imax big

theres not even a standard for screen size is there

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

pagancow posted:

How do DCTs work?

http://faculty.gvsu.edu/aboufade/web/wavelets/student_work/EF/how-works.html

I didn't take math in school so i'm all herp derp about this.

i once programmed a dct-idct-based image scaling program. it did dct on the whole picture at once and was slow as hell.

also the result was poo poo.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

slogsdon posted:

lol if you didnt buy a movie theatre with bitcoins and use it to watch classic cartoons and drink soda. just lol

that reminds me of the dude in iowa who wanted to buy a defunct movie theater and show movies from rental dvds thru an epson business projector

idk if thats what you're referencing but thats what it made me think of

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Install Gentoo posted:

all projection film print deliveries will stop in the us Q4 2013 and stop globally Q4 2015.

i knew this day was coming but this still makes me a little sad

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

pagancow posted:

it gets done with every Hollywood release so i guess lol at every hollywood film

i know, its just dumb and one of those ~MY ART~ choices

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

nigga crab pollock posted:

nooope.

its just "we're building this multiplex and want to have 1000 seats in the main rooms and then 700 in the smaller ones, make the screen fit the wall"

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

that reminds me of the dude in iowa who wanted to buy a defunct movie theater and show movies from rental dvds thru an epson business projector

idk if thats what you're referencing but thats what it made me think of

it is

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

more often than not the screen is landscape fortunately

I watched the directors cut of titanic on a portrait screen in a cinema and half the time you couldn't see most of what was going on. it was a poor decision

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i have a bunch of undeveloped film rolls from 2006 where can i get that poo poo taken care of

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
okay pagancow or rly anyone else can you explain how codecs and containers and hardware decoding and poo poo works because even though i was pretty sure i understand i keep saying wrong things so idk

also if its just a container then why is it such a pain in the rear end slash impossible to get something from h.264/aac video in an mkv to the same in mp4 because for some reason nothing plays mkv's?? even though it supports the mp4 with h.264 and aac audio?? gently caress??? gently caress

feel free to go :spergin: w/ a wall of text because im legit confused now i guess

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

graph posted:

i have a bunch of undeveloped film rolls from 2006 where can i get that poo poo taken care of

cvs

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

okay pagancow or rly anyone else can you explain how codecs and containers and hardware decoding and poo poo works because even though i was pretty sure i understand i keep saying wrong things so idk

also if its just a container then why is it such a pain in the rear end slash impossible to get something from h.264/aac video in an mkv to the same in mp4 because for some reason nothing plays mkv's?? even though it supports the mp4 with h.264 and aac audio?? gently caress??? gently caress

feel free to go :spergin: w/ a wall of text because im legit confused now i guess

There are many tools out there to take streams out of one container, and tools to take streams and put them into another container.

where it breaks down is when hardware manufacturers don't want to support multiple containers due to scope control of their product, licencing issues, and general worldwide patent problems they could run into.

this is why a huge rear end consortium group that says "license from us and you wont get sued" is a safer bet than "use our open sores thing, and poo poo on you if you get sued"

basically mkv is for pirates, so that you can watch movies on your desktop os.

nobody in professional realm is putting anything in an MKV

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

there are tools for that like mkvtomp4, i actually tried writing my own script to do it and if your mkv is compliant these commands should work, but its rarely this simple

code:
mkvextract tracks "me and yo momma.mkv"  1:"video.264"  2:"audio.aac"
MP4Box -new -delay 1=1 -add "video.264" -add "audo.aac" "me and yo momma.mp4"

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

yeah it doesn't help that ~ThE ScEnE~ thinks that everybody has DTS-HD 7.1 decoding equipment at home + the ability to monitor anything resembling surround sound on your desktop OS most likely running on a laptop...

BUT YOU GOT ALL THE DTS BITS!!!!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

i think they moved that equipment out last year

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

graph posted:

i think they moved that equipment out last year

idk my local one still has the developing lab thing

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Most of the stuff I would trust would be outside houses that take your 35MM negatives and give you some 2K or 4K scan back

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Professional+Film+scanning+Service

get TIFFs and get something better than 8bpc so you can do edits after the fact.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
remember seattle filmworks

in the 1990s they'd take your rolls of film of mail you back floppy disks that had the pictures on them as jpegs

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Install Gentoo posted:

in the 1990s they'd take your rolls of film of mail you back floppy disks that had the pictures on them as jpegs

there were a couple like that, it was :eyepop:

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
just skip the middle man entirely and buy a sony mavica

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

we have a couple of those in the office, the old floppy drive version, and they arent even fun to use ironically.

one of them will shoot 8 seconds of audio-less 160x160 video to an entire floppy though

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

pagancow posted:

Most of the stuff I would trust would be outside houses that take your 35MM negatives and give you some 2K or 4K scan back

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Professional+Film+scanning+Service

get TIFFs and get something better than 8bpc so you can do edits after the fact.

Install Gentoo posted:

reading these posts in succession confused the gently caress out of me and for a second i imagined a service that took actual film reels and sent you every frame of the movie on an individual floppy disc. 24 floppies per second.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

univbee posted:

24 floppies per second.

pls don't post the name of my signature sex moves

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

i think you meant 23.976 floppies per second :rms:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

pagancow posted:

i think you meant 23.976 floppies per second :rms:

So 23 PC-formatted disks and one Mac-formatted disk. :iceburn:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

univbee posted:

reading these posts in succession confused the gently caress out of me and for a second i imagined a service that took actual film reels and sent you every frame of the movie on an individual floppy disc. 24 floppies per second.

seattle filmworks did also offer a service to take in movie film and like 8 mm home video film and send it back digitally, but i believe they used either cds or those weird magneto-optical disks for it

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

did they give it back as DV?

well that would have been reasonable for 1996

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pagancow posted:

did they give it back as DV?

well that would have been reasonable for 1996

it was the mid 90s and meant for consumers so i doubt it was dv. probably cinepak or indeo or something like that

• Locked thread