Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Gay Polymers posted:

I want so badly to make a solid, competetive Thyra list. I think she's secret OP. But I can't nail her list down.

Give this a shot, I played it at a couple steamrollers back in the day and it did well.

System: Warmachine
Faction: Protectorate of Menoth
Casters: 1/1
Thyra, Flame of Sorrow (*6pts)
* Revenger (6pts)
* Blood of Martyrs (9pts)
* Reckoner (8pts)
Choir of Menoth (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
Daughters of the Flame (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
Daughters of the Flame (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
Exemplar Errants (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Exemplar Errant Officer & Standard Bearer (2pts)
Exemplar Errant Seneschal (2pts)
Nicia, Tear of Vengeance (3pts)
Reclaimer (2pts)
Vassal of Menoth (2pts)
Vassal of Menoth (2pts)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Mayhem Cup lists are up over at http://endgamegaming.net/

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

So I've gotten a couple practice games in with my new Trolls, but I'm not entirely sure where to expand them to beyond 'a Mauler would be kickass.'

Any suggestions? My local store has a following that's currently running tournies in the 25-35 point range and I'd like to grow into those somewhere down the line.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
Fennblades, Long Riders, Grim Angus all of these are good fun. If you're playing Trolls you will need to eventually buy a Fell Caller and a Krielstone, because these are the awesome buffing pieces that will forever define the limitations of our faction.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Calico Noose posted:

Fennblades, Long Riders, Grim Angus all of these are good fun. If you're playing Trolls you will need to eventually buy a Fell Caller and a Krielstone, because these are the awesome buffing pieces that will forever define the limitations of our faction.

Trolls need a beast buffing unit to feel more whole. A unit of shamans that provide Choir like bonuses or even make them solos like Vassals/Willbreakers. Troll beasts just aren't quite there. Throw a unit like that in and they would be stupid awesome.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
So I'm throwing down my first 75 point game tonight. I've also never played with Xerxis, but I was challenged for the league running at my FLGS and couldn't resist! Here is just about every non-caster Skorne model I own.

System: Hordes
Faction: Skorne
Tyrant Xerxis (*5pts)
* Basilisk Drake (4pts)
* Basilisk Krea (4pts)
* Cyclops Savage (5pts)
* Cyclops Shaman (5pts)
* Bronzeback Titan (10pts)
* Titan Cannoneer (9pts)
Cataphract Arcuarii (Leader and 3 Grunts) (6pts)
Cataphract Cetrati (Leader and 3 Grunts) (8pts)
Paingiver Beast Handlers (Leader and 5 Grunts) (3pts)
Praetorian Karax (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
Tyrant Commander & Standard Bearer (3pts)
Venators Reivers (Leader and 9 Grunts) (9pts)
Agonizer (2pts)
Tyrant Rhadiem (5pts)

Is this at all manageable with Xerxis? I feel 6 may be to many beasts and I should just play pMorgul and forego the league point for a new caster. Alternatively, I could go pMakeda and throw Molik Karn in somewhere. Any thoughts/comment/suggestions are appreciated!

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Duderclese posted:

So I'm throwing down my first 75 point game tonight. I've also never played with Xerxis, but I was challenged for the league running at my FLGS and couldn't resist! Here is just about every non-caster Skorne model I own.

System: Hordes
Faction: Skorne
Tyrant Xerxis (*5pts)
* Basilisk Drake (4pts)
* Basilisk Krea (4pts)
* Cyclops Savage (5pts)
* Cyclops Shaman (5pts)
* Bronzeback Titan (10pts)
* Titan Cannoneer (9pts)
Cataphract Arcuarii (Leader and 3 Grunts) (6pts)
Cataphract Cetrati (Leader and 3 Grunts) (8pts)
Paingiver Beast Handlers (Leader and 5 Grunts) (3pts)
Praetorian Karax (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
Tyrant Commander & Standard Bearer (3pts)
Venators Reivers (Leader and 9 Grunts) (9pts)
Agonizer (2pts)
Tyrant Rhadiem (5pts)

Is this at all manageable with Xerxis? I feel 6 may be to many beasts and I should just play pMorgul and forego the league point for a new caster. Alternatively, I could go pMakeda and throw Molik Karn in somewhere. Any thoughts/comment/suggestions are appreciated!

Since a lot of those beasts are support, the Beast Handlers will take of Fury management for you.

Suggestions: I'd swap the Savage for the Raider, since you've got three beasts with ranged attacks that benefit from Far Strike. I'd also drop the Karax, they're not doing anything that the Cetrati isn't already doing (better), and use the points to bump the two Cataphracts to max units. You can fill in the last point with a Swamp Gobbers Bellows Crew, so you can make that unit of Cetrati DEF18/ARM24 against shooting with Defender's Ward and Paralytic Aura.

Adam Kensai
Feb 13, 2005
Have you heard the Go News?
I bit the bullet and grabbed the Khador starter box, and was wondering if there was a place to look at the models unpainted? I'm having trouble imagining the scheme I have in my head, and kind of want to take an image into photoshop to dick around with it.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Adam Kensai posted:

I bit the bullet and grabbed the Khador starter box, and was wondering if there was a place to look at the models unpainted? I'm having trouble imagining the scheme I have in my head, and kind of want to take an image into photoshop to dick around with it.

There was actually a great tutorial for doing something just like that hosted by PP.

Essentially you take a painted model and grey scale it. Then it apparently looks just like a primed model ready to be painted.

Adam Kensai
Feb 13, 2005

Excelsiortothemax posted:

There was actually a great tutorial for doing something just like that hosted by PP.

Essentially you take a painted model and grey scale it. Then it apparently looks just like a primed model ready to be painted.

I'm... a web designer and I didn't think of that. Goddamnit.

There goes my work day as I color little plastic robots, thanks!

Edit: I'm coming to terms with the fact that I'm more excited about painting my robot men then I am about playing the game.

Adam Kensai fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 19, 2013

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Adam Kensai posted:

I'm... a web designer and I didn't think of that. Goddamnit.

There goes my work day as I color little plastic robots, thanks!

Edit: I'm coming to terms with the fact that I'm more excited about painting my robot men then I am about playing the game.

Happy to help :D

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Adam Kensai posted:

Don't worry, this is how I have felt about basically very wargame ever. And I've been playing them for a sickening amount of time. Painting my little dudes is really the best part of the hobby for some of us, and there is nothing wrong with that.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Ashcans posted:

Don't worry, this is how I have felt about basically every wargame ever.

This also applies to me. I love painting my mans. I just don't have the time to get games in, and painting is much more flexible.

In June, I painted about 150 points of Legion for a 50 point hardcore tournament, and I have only played it in 5 games. I also have about 120 points of painted Trolls that I painted last year and I have only played like 10 times.

Painting > Playing

It also has to do with a small local scene, where I don't enjoy playing against some of the opponents.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Adam Kensai posted:

The more awesome painted robots, the better.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

dexefiend posted:

This also applies to me. I love painting my mans. I just don't have the time to get games in, and painting is much more flexible.

In June, I painted about 150 points of Legion for a 50 point hardcore tournament, and I have only played it in 5 games. I also have about 120 points of painted Trolls that I painted last year and I have only played like 10 times.

Painting > Playing

It also has to do with a small local scene, where I don't enjoy playing against some of the opponents.

Move. St. Louis is preferred.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Example:

This has never been fielded, and I have never played my Menoth force.

Adam Kensai
Feb 13, 2005

dexefiend posted:

Example:

-awesome thing-

Holy poo poo, that looks awesome.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Feeple posted:

Move. St. Louis is preferred.

Feeple! Are you going to go to Adepticon? Also, does St. Louis have many events? It is only a 2.5 hour drive.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

dexefiend posted:

Example:

What the gently caress compelled you to speedpaint a $100+ model? :psypop:

And speaking of too much disposable income, here is how some guy converted a Stormwall (? - the Cygnar colossal) to be fully articulated and LED-lighted. And he's done like 7 of them... 5 for his own collection :suicide:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 19, 2013

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Pierzak posted:

What the gently caress compelled you to speedpaint a $100+ model? :psypop:

What do you mean? That thing is gorgeous.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

PaintVagrant posted:

Raiders w ua, banes, or mechthrall swarm. I'd proxy your slayer as nightmare because nightmare is sick.

Raiders + UA ordered, will proxy the poo poo out of the Nightmare. :hellyeah:

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Speaking of painted Warmachine I just finished these.

Also, the unit attachment has a mask I sculpted for him.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Is there a good resource out there for designing maps? I can build terrain just fine, but I need maps because I'm a terrible map designer. I think.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqA6nbk2zos

Dat Stormwall :stare:

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

dexefiend posted:

Feeple! Are you going to go to Adepticon? Also, does St. Louis have many events? It is only a 2.5 hour drive.

Can't afford Adepticon. :(

We have at least monthly events. https://www.gamemidwest.com is the best place for a calendar.

All goons welcome!

LewdMonocle
Mar 8, 2007
I think I expanded too quickly. After every game I'm switching out casters, jacks, or units. So I had a little help making a list I hope to stick with for a few months until I have memorized my little dudes stats/abilities. What do yous guys think?

High Exemplar Kreoss (*5pts)
* Redeemer (6pts)
* Reckoner (8pts)
* Templar (8pts)
The Wrack (3 wracks) (1pts)
Vassal Mechanik (1pts)
Vassal of Menoth (2pts)

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
I finished my Khador battle box today, probably going to get some Widowmakers next to bring it up to 15
Sorscha

Juggernaut

Destroyer

Have to finish the bases and seal them but I am pretty happy with them so far.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

LewdMonocle posted:

I think I expanded too quickly. After every game I'm switching out casters, jacks, or units. So I had a little help making a list I hope to stick with for a few months until I have memorized my little dudes stats/abilities. What do yous guys think?

High Exemplar Kreoss (*5pts)
* Redeemer (6pts)
* Reckoner (8pts)
* Templar (8pts)
The Wrack (3 wracks) (1pts)
Vassal Mechanik (1pts)
Vassal of Menoth (2pts)

This is a good list. Play the poo poo out of it. People who haven't played against Templar may tell you to trade it for a Vanquisher or something. Don't do it; Templar is a beauty and she'll treat you right.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

First reaction: "Oh, glowing eyes. Seen it, but it's well done."
Second reaction: "Functional smokestacks? Now that's neat."
Third-seventh: "What the heck, there's more?"

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Sulecrist posted:

This is a good list. Play the poo poo out of it. People who haven't played against Templar may tell you to trade it for a Vanquisher or something. Don't do it; Templar is a beauty and she'll treat you right.

drat straight. The Templar is a good substitute for when taking the Avatar isn't an option. Beat Back surprises people.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Sulecrist posted:

I agree with this post. The big thing that stands out about this list to me however is you have three focus-hungry jacks, which is fine with the vassal and wracks, but try to spend time thinking out how much focus each jack will actually need instead of just assigning out as much as possible. I say this because pKreoss, while totally awesome, is 14/15 and has a CTRL range feat so camping a couple focus really increases his ability to survive

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

It's actually almost identical to a lot of pKreoss lists, but the changes would be Wracks + Mechanik for a second Vassal and Templar for a Vanquisher for real cookie cutter. The Templar is a beat stick from hell though, slap Defenders Ward on that thing and some forces just cannot deal with it. Love my Templar but he doesn't see that much play, so cool to see more of them about.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

This Templar talk reminds me of when I got to live the dream with a Xerxis Bronzeback. I tore though the Templar first, beat back into the Avatar and killed him, and then beat back into a Crusader and tore off it's mace with my last fury. :v:

Ironically when I owned Menoth I sold'em before my painted Templar ever hit the table, after the Avatar, Reckoners etc there was never any points to spare for one.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

I like the Templar alot in lists that can speed him up, like efeora or kreoss3. Hits like a truck and is a very good character saver for the Avatar.

Played a game against reznik a few weeks back with my ecaine list. Thanks to perdition and beat back caine took 11 damage the first turn due to a beatbacking templar :negative:

Templars are loving awesome.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

He's the first pick in a Reznik list for me as Iron Aggression is fun on him, plus Reznik has the movement tricks to make up for his SPD4, he's pretty ace with Harbie too as she can load up the fury on one. I want to try double Templars with Harbie, probably tiered though because Reckoners are so good for the same points.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Flipswitch posted:

He's the first pick in a Reznik list for me as Iron Aggression is fun on him, plus Reznik has the movement tricks to make up for his SPD4, he's pretty ace with Harbie too as she can load up the fury on one. I want to try double Templars with Harbie, probably tiered though because Reckoners are so good for the same points.
Harby Theme Force is pretty fun when you spam Crusaders with a few Reckoners, all the while martyring Paladins blocking charge lanes.

Good times.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

Flipswitch posted:

A great starting point for a Harby tier is the Avatar and 2 Templars. 3 large bases of ARM 21 :fuckoff:

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

So I have been playing Warhammer just shy of a decade and the store I go to wants to get people into Warmahordes. I bought the Cryx starter set years ago and played it once as well as picking it up again and trying a game last week. I like the system and models, but I am pretty clueless as to how to begin.

Reading through the OP, I play tabletop games to paint models and play casually, I don't care for competitive gaming. I like the models and style of Cryx, but reading over the pros/cons, not sure if they fit my play style though. Reading through all the factions, I like the idea of TrollBloods as they are just stupid brutes that want to get in combat and are tough units.

So if your just starting off fresh, is it a good idea to buy the entire rule book with all the factions in it, or can I get good suggestions and info from just forums? I have the little fold on core rules that came with the starter set, but is the book worth getting ( don't even know the price ).

Edit >> Captain Gunnbjorn and Dire Troll Blitzer have me completely sold on Troll Bloods.

Slandible fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 20, 2013

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Khorne Flakes posted:

So if your just starting off fresh, is it a good idea to buy the entire rule book with all the factions in it, or can I get good suggestions and info from just forums? I have the little fold on core rules that came with the starter set, but is the book worth getting ( don't even know the price ).

The Privateer Press forums tend to be a bit awful at times, so you're probably better off avoiding them. While it isn't a great resource by any means, Battle-College gives you a brief overview over all units in the game and has some sections on how to possibly combine them. It's wrong about a lot of things and sometimes it gives bad advice, as wikis go, but as long as you check back with some experienced players about some stuff, it's a decent and free resource that you can use to acquaint yourself with a faction you're interested in, lacking other information. It also has some pages that clear up unit types or pages on some of the more complicated stuff like Power Attacks where they spell out stuff in a way that's not too terribly hard to understand for new players. Browsing it helped me getting into the game at least and some of the advice I got here helped me not purchase terrible stuff that doesn't synergize at all. Just take everything with a grain of salt.

The core rulebook for Hordes is pretty decent. The largest part of it isn't actually rules, but an introductions to every Hordes faction, a lot of background material and some pages with units from the different factions in a layout similar to their specific faction books. It's all in full colour and the art can be pretty sweet, so if that's your thing it's not a terrible deal, even if you only care about a specific faction. There's also the smaller rulebook (that just contains the rules and none of the chaff) that comes with the 2player starter box, but as it isn't sold separately those can be hard to come by.

Zwiebel fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Khorne Flakes posted:

So I have been playing Warhammer just shy of a decade and the store I go to wants to get people into Warmahordes. I bought the Cryx starter set years ago and played it once as well as picking it up again and trying a game last week. I like the system and models, but I am pretty clueless as to how to begin.

Reading through the OP, I play tabletop games to paint models and play casually, I don't care for competitive gaming. I like the models and style of Cryx, but reading over the pros/cons, not sure if they fit my play style though. Reading through all the factions, I like the idea of TrollBloods as they are just stupid brutes that want to get in combat and are tough units.

Edit >> Captain Gunnbjorn and Dire Troll Blitzer have me completely sold on Troll Bloods.

Having a rulebook is very important in this game--way more important than the Forces of Trollbloods book or deck will be. There are also rules for a few Trollbloods guys in the back, which will help you proxy. Buy the thing and read it on the toilet and look everything up and get it all dog-eared.

As far as Trollbloods themselves goes, they're great. As a new player, you are going to hear things about "competitiveness" and "top-tier" and "trash" and stuff. Tune that all out. Trash in this game is not like trash in Warhammer and top-tier in this game is not like top-tier in Warhammer. When people talk about how competitive something is (assuming they know what they're talking about at all), they're generally talking about how well something works in a (you don't need to know what this next part means) two-or-three-list tournament format, where you need to anticipate and respond to every single thing that every single faction can throw at you, and handle a dozen crazy scenarios at the same time. Even in that context, Trolls are a good faction and by the time you're remotely capable of playing the game well, the meta will be so different that the info you're being given now about what's trash and what's super good will probably be hopelessly distorted. When you're playing with friends, and even beyond, your grasp of the fundamentals and your familiarity with your pieces are infinitely more important than the power rankings of individual pieces in a vacuum. Synergy matters in this game, but you don't understand it yet, so don't worry about what's supposedly broken and what's supposedly garbage. Tune out the haters and don't take advice from the Privateer Press forums or battlecollege. The best place to start out is with good players, either in your own community or online. If you're going to the latter, try to figure out a bit of context--some players are very good but say ridiculous things, and lots more people say that they're really good and aren't at all. We have some excellent players in this thread; you should at least listen to peoples' explanations for their opinions.

Anyway. Specific Trollbloods stuff: the plastic Trollbloods box is a good deal if you want to own pMadrak (he can run a big stupid brick pretty well!) and not a great deal if you don't. I'd recommend you get it, though. If you're good with magnets, pick up a Dire Troll box and magnetize/pin the arms so that you can swap them out. Then play a loving pile of games. Start small. Ask questions. Look things up. Have fun.

EDIT: Other early Trollbloods purchases: Fennblades or Kriel Warriors; Champion Hero; Fell Caller Hero; Krielstone Bearer unit; Janissa; Earthborn Dire Troll. That's all pretty flexible stuff that goes into many/most lists.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 20, 2013

• Locked thread