Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

Crotch Bat posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLwH4HO-OUo

Stuttering John vs Cabbie fight with the weigh-in and press conference. I wasn't big into the show back then as my only exposure was via the E! show(since I was in high school and also lived in VA) so I never really was aware of how big this all got but looking back this was nuts and amazingly enough for the show also incredibly well done as far as production values. The pre-fight stuff is great with a million Wack Packers there and even Beetle-Don King talking to the real Don King.

"Hey Artie, are you gonna be wasted in Atlantic City, like in Vegas?"

"HELL YEAH! It's Atlantic City! ...You gonna let us get drunk on the air?"

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Where the gently caress do Richard and Sal find these people on the street?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Godinster posted:

Where the gently caress do Richard and Sal find these people on the street?

I think for a great deal of them, they pester insane homeless people.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AxeManiac posted:

I think for a great deal of them, they pester insane homeless people.

Stuttering John used to offer homeless guys ridiculous amounts (like two dollars) for interviews. I wanted to punch his lights out.

Pilot Jim
Aug 23, 2007
Listening to Howard's "pitch" for his version of the tonight show was some of the funniest radio I've heard from him in a while. I was actually laughing pretty hard about the whole loving Johnny's skull thing.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Speaking of pitches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mps69TKTTXs

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

One of the all time best Artie moments on today... he laughs himself silly over Charlie's Angels.

EDIT:

I... am... NOT... A Whore.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 20, 2013

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Squashy Nipples posted:

One of the all time best Artie moments on today... he laughs himself silly over Charlie's Angels.

EDIT:

I... am... NOT... A Whore.

The best part of that is the horrible songs they playing? LMFAO apparently before they got known.

MasonReese
Oct 8, 2004

This is gross misconduct!
I think the gay actor who was sitting in the studio Monday may have outed Billy Joel. Any other clue as to who he was talking about?

MasonReese
Oct 8, 2004

This is gross misconduct!

MasonReese posted:

I think the gay actor who was sitting in the studio Monday may have outed Billy Joel. Any other clue as to who he was talking about?

Ah. Barry Manilow.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Ok I have to ask is Mike Boschetti doing a character, or is he a legit slow adult?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

MasonReese posted:

I thought he was talking about Paul Schaefer. But Manilow makes sense.

Performula
Apr 7, 2009

mrfreeze posted:

Ok I have to ask is Mike Boschetti doing a character, or is he a legit slow adult?

Well he sure looks like a slow adult, that's for sure...
I'm curious too.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

mrfreeze posted:

I would guess a little from Column A, and a little from Column B.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Has Dipalo come out and said anything about his firing yet?

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

I thought he was talking about Paul Schaefer. But Manilow makes sense.

Paul wrote "Its raining men". How many clues does a guy have to leave.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

mrfreeze posted:

He is a writer and known in the industry, I think he might be a character actor. I'm sure he plays up to it, but I think he is aware enough to know what is going on and knows to lean on it when he has too, but I do think he is a bit goofy, but what good entertainer isn't?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

How has the show been lately? I saw Artie at the Borgata last month and then he was off for like a week or two and I fell off listening cause all the guest hosts during that peroid sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

beep by grandpa posted:

How has the show been lately? I saw Artie at the Borgata last month and then he was off for like a week or two and I fell off listening cause all the guest hosts during that peroid sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked.

Artie sleeps a lot, talks to weird sports people and listens to crappy bands play music.

He does skits and stuff and his stories are all good, but I hardly tune in because of all the above dragging down the show.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Here's Ronnie just terrorizing Lieberman. It's awesome and I love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3o_td8GeHI

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

GenoCanSing posted:

Paul wrote "Its raining men". How many clues does a guy have to leave.

ugh. I just re-listened to that and the guy gave the initials BM and at one point something was edited but I heard that guy say something like "Andy" which is a song or a lyric in a song that Barry Manilow sang.

Have at least most of the facts before making some poo poo-tard post.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
I thought Robin asked if the initials were BM and he laughed and said no? Or do you think he was laughing because it was a yes..

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
They were trying really hard not to "out" anybody even going as far to use the dump button, I'm sure that Howard was saying no to cover for Robin's correct guess.

I couldn't imagine who else it could be.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
They seem pretty good about that stuff, outting people is so stupid. If they want people to know they will tell people, singing or dancing or telling jokes doesn't give us access to people's private lives. We don't need to gossip.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

AxeManiac posted:

They seem pretty good about that stuff, outting people is so stupid. If they want people to know they will tell people, singing or dancing or telling jokes doesn't give us access to people's private lives. We don't need to gossip.

Howard's always been pretty cool about respecting this sort of thing. I think he's come a long way from his "Sarno can cure the gay" in his book too.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Speaking of gay times on the show
http://youtu.be/9hgl2OUo15Y?t=2m54s

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Manifest posted:

Howard's always been pretty cool about respecting this sort of thing. I think he's come a long way from his "Sarno can cure the gay" in his book too.

I thought it was the opposite of being cool about it and he just didn't want people to sue him.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

beep by grandpa posted:

I thought it was the opposite of being cool about it and he just didn't want people to sue him.

Well, after he, and pretty much the whole world got out of that phase, he was cool about it. It seemed back in the 90's to be a REALLY easy target to harass and make fun of gay people and outing was a popular thing. But global attitudes change and people got over it, just like here on the forums, terms like "human being" used to be used in nearly everything, even on the confirmation screen when you would post.

Everyone grows up, or you stay in the morning zoo crew :shrug:

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

I emailed Fred a couple years ago to suggest this song for ETM calls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChQZ0zm4gls

Wonder why they never used it. So good...

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/wild/spoiled-rotten-pets/videos/rainbow-bridge/

*tosses pen* "This is ridiculous."

:confused:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

It's dumb but dear god look at that picture of her in there where she's not showing any teeth. Gorgeous woman, just needs to not let the pearly whites out.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah she's very attractive. I think she looks better now than she did when she was younger. Her skin - even with makeup - is ridiculously good for a 40+ year old woman. Than again she hasn't had much stress in her life...

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

I finally got caught up with the show. Man Howard's Tonight Show "plans" were one of the funniest things he's done in a long time. It's one of those great payoffs we get from him and why I still listen.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

an adult beverage posted:

I finally got caught up with the show. Man Howard's Tonight Show "plans" were one of the funniest things he's done in a long time. It's one of those great payoffs we get from him and why I still listen.

I want to know what he was getting at when he said something along the lines of "Remember what I said on that phone call 8 years ago Jay!"

I kind of want Howard to host the Tonight Show just because it would be so wonderful for him to destroy Jay.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Did Howard have as much vitriol towards Jay before the Stuttering John deal?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

I wish there is an afterlife, just not for my dog, because it obviously would have a terrible time existing without me. Also I'm living forever. I'm a womanchild.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Grillo is going to be as homeless as an actual gorilla.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Yeah, he always accused Jay of stealing his bits, and was fiercely loyal to CBS and Letterman.
This was a weird appearance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ePPOvArDw0

Manifest fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 25, 2013

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

The Leno hate really stems from a appearance years ago where Howard brought some Lesbians on the Tonight Show and Jay freaked out and walked off the stage. Then they edited the show to make Howard look really bad and Jay like the weasel he is refused to take any responsibility for it or apologize. I believe it was the same appearance that the "orange juice boff" story comes from. He refused to go on the show after that and him stealing bits and John really added fuel to the fire.

Jay was once a big friend of the show and appeared many times in the 80s and even the early 90s. You know before he became the most boring comic ever. Howard used to enjoy going on the show a lot. You can blame Jay entirely for ruining that relationship like every other in his life. I don't think the man has any show biz relationship left. He is either a joke or has burned his bridge irreparably.

I am actually interested in seeing what is going to happen to him after NBC pushes him out the door, since it is definitely going to happen this time. From what I hear no one is looking to grab him, ABC has firmly gotten behind Kimmel, CBS has Letterman for another 2 years in which they are going to have to figure out post Letterman, Fox wants no part of Late Night now as when they floated the Conan idea whom would have fir their demo much better was met with near rioting from affiliates due to a huge loss in revenue from the loss of syndicated stock on at that hour (Simpsons, Family Guy, HIMYM, BBT, etc). I don't see another cable channel wanting to jump in that ring since between the Fake News Hour on Comedy Central and Conan that is playing for scraps at best. Add in Jay's demo you are looking at a decreasing audience who likely doesn't have cable and a high production cost and payroll.

You might see someone float him doing a afternoon talk show ala Ellen or Rosie but as we saw with him at 9:00 PM he doesn't work well outside of the late night time slot. Actually there are some fascinating research into why the female talk shows do well in the afternoons I read awhile back. Basically it comes down to during the afternoons people want fluff they don't have to concentrate on. If you ever watch them it is almost always visual humor and very basic talk because anything that requires more concentration or comprehension is not as well received.

Likely Jay is going to become Carson and disappear. I'd love to see the old Jay from the 80s reappear and do stand up but it will likely never happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Thanks for the great write-up. I'm curious about Leno's future too, since the whole late night drama is fascinating to so many people for some reason. I was too young to remember any of the Carson days, but the reverence for that precious 11:35PM network slot seems so bizarre especially in this day when cable shows are frequently beating networks.