Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
My Panasonic ST30 (bought 2 years ago) just started to make a loud buzzing sound that fluctuates in intensity based on brightness of the picture. I'm out of warranty, and it hasn't done this until yesterday.

First, any idea what's wrong?

Second, how screwed am I?

Third, any idea how much it will cost to get fixed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I want a bigger, 1080 television, and I'm probably gonna buy it this Summer. I was looking through Best Buy's website, and there seem to be quite a few that fit my size (46") and budget (around $500), but most of them seem to be Insignia (an in-house brand, I believe) and Westinghouse. Are these two brands I should avoid at all costs, or is there a go-to television I'm not looking at that fits what I want?

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Fremry posted:

My Panasonic ST30 (bought 2 years ago) just started to make a loud buzzing sound that fluctuates in intensity based on brightness of the picture. I'm out of warranty, and it hasn't done this until yesterday.

I had the same issue on my 55ST30 and oddly enough it was some screws on the power board that had some loose. I was under warranty and all they did was replace the screws with locking ones. So if you feel adventuresome I would just unscrew the back and tighten up the screws.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

god this blows posted:

I had the same issue on my 55ST30 and oddly enough it was some screws on the power board that had some loose. I was under warranty and all they did was replace the screws with locking ones. So if you feel adventuresome I would just unscrew the back and tighten up the screws.

Thanks. It went away by itself today, but if it comes back, I'll try that.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Fremry posted:

As the other poster mentioned, I had the same problem and it was a few loose screws. It would go away temporarily and reappear later. I just removed the back and tightened everything. Panasonic can refer you to a local repair shop if you're out of warranty and not comfortable doing it yourself, they would probably charge $50. There is always some natural plasma buzzing on bright scenes but it shouldn't be audible above TV volume.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

The Gunslinger posted:

. There is always some natural plasma buzzing on bright scenes but it shouldn't be audible above TV volume.

Good to hear. I've got a slight buzz on my new st50 and googling about it was giving me mixed results. Some would say it's rare for them not to buzz others would say it should be silent. I can't hear it unless everything in the room is muted so it certainly doesn't bother me much.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Does anyone have a suggestion on a swinging mounting arm for a 55" LG LED? My folks just bought one that they want to have on a swinging arm in their sunroom, and I'm just concerned that the arm itself might not bear the weight.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Whenever I think of alternative mounts for screens, I think of Ergotron. This unit will support up to 70 pounds of TV - but it's $400 from the maker. Here's the cheapest price I could find for it on Google Shopping: http://www.electrociti.com/_e/Mounting_Kits/sproduct/1023084243/Ergotron_Mounting_Arm_for_Flat_Panel_Display.htm

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

When in doubt: monoprice. I've got nothing bad to say about the 3+ mounts I've bought from them over the years.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I got a LG 47cs570 from Amazon, LCD. After about two weeks, I've had an issue where the TV will not turn on. If I leave it unplugged for a few hours, I can turn it on, but switching the input from component (which my cable box is running) to HDMI (360, PS3) will cuase it to shut back off and not be able to be turned back on.

Does anyone have any ideas one what could be done aside from "send it back to Amazon"?

Edit: And it just turned on by itself for about 2 minutes, then shut back off.

Capsaicin fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 10, 2013

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Capsaicin posted:

I got a LG 47cs570 from Amazon, LCD. After about two weeks, I've had an issue where the TV will not turn on. If I leave it unplugged for a few hours, I can turn it on, but switching the input from component (which my cable box is running) to HDMI (360, PS3) will cuase it to shut back off and not be able to be turned back on.

Does anyone have any ideas one what could be done aside from "send it back to Amazon"?

Edit: And it just turned on by itself for about 2 minutes, then shut back off.

Does it have an HDMI control feature, if so, is it turned off?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

toplitzin posted:

Does it have an HDMI control feature, if so, is it turned off?

Not that I know of. I was playing Xbox the other night, it shut off, and then it stayed off until I was able to leave it unplugged for a few hours.

Edit: Looks like disabling "Simplink" stopped it. Leaving my Xbox on while I go to work to see if this shuts it down again.

Capsaicin fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 10, 2013

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Capsaicin posted:

Not that I know of. I was playing Xbox the other night, it shut off, and then it stayed off until I was able to leave it unplugged for a few hours.

Edit: Looks like disabling "Simplink" stopped it. Leaving my Xbox on while I go to work to see if this shuts it down again.

Simplink = HDMI control. ;)
IE: the HDMI devices all talk to each other about their power states and turn each other on and off.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy

Timett posted:

Good to hear. I've got a slight buzz on my new st50 and googling about it was giving me mixed results. Some would say it's rare for them not to buzz others would say it should be silent. I can't hear it unless everything in the room is muted so it certainly doesn't bother me much.

Mine has a fairly noticeable buzz when the screen is pure white, and when I don't have any sound playing. Usually this is just when configuring something on the htpc.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Capsaicin posted:

The XBox will automatically shut itself off after 1 or 6 hours of inactivity. I think "off after 6 hours" might be on by default but I could be mistaken. Just something simple to check if the TV is off when you get back.

BeefSupreme
Sep 14, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Alright, my parents are looking at a new TV, because their old one is slowly dying. It's an old Sony monstrosity, and I've been trying to get them to replace it for a while now. Trying NOT to engage in schadenfreude.

Looking at 50" or so, probably around $1000. Will almost entirely be used for TV/Sports, and the occasional DVD. They're concerned about glare from ambient lighting; is LCD still the way to go?

I've been looking around on Amazon; here are the fruits of my results. Any thoughts on these sets? It's hard for me to know what's worth a price difference and what isn't.

Samsung UN55EH6000 - $897 ($799 at 50")
Samsung UN50ES6500 - $1099
Samsung UN55ES6100 - $1099 ($999 at 50")

LG 47LM6200 - $899 ($1199 at 55")
LG 47G2 - $849 ($1193 at 55")
LG 47LM6700 - $929 ($1130 at 55")

Panasonic VIERA TC-P50ST50 - $949

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no
Also looking for a new TV. I'm primarly looking at the following, after considering a few factors:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0078LN0RE

This is going to be hooked up to my Onkyo receiver and surround sound system, so the built-in audio processing in some of the higher models isn't important. Likewise, I don't need the camera found in the 8000 series sets, and will be using my Harmony One with the set.

All told, I'm aiming to keep the price under $2000. Is this probably my best option?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

toplitzin posted:

Simplink = HDMI control. ;)
IE: the HDMI devices all talk to each other about their power states and turn each other on and off.

It's bone back to turning on and off and on and off, even when hooked up via component and Simplink is off. I just set up the return to Amazon and will likely be looking around at purchasing a new TV from Walmart or somewhere. Looking at a 47"ish LED, and I'd like to not spend a ton.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Capsaicin posted:

It's bone back to turning on and off and on and off, even when hooked up via component and Simplink is off. I just set up the return to Amazon and will likely be looking around at purchasing a new TV from Walmart or somewhere. Looking at a 47"ish LED, and I'd like to not spend a ton.

I got a Panny 47" IPS LED, (look a few posts up) from amazon warehouse deals for $475. I am VERY HAPPY with it. there is a *small* dent on the back of the unit and the stand had no screws ( a quick trip to Ace fixed that for $3 until my monoprice wallmount arrived).

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

toplitzin posted:

I got a Panny 47" IPS LED, (look a few posts up) from amazon warehouse deals for $475. I am VERY HAPPY with it. there is a *small* dent on the back of the unit and the stand had no screws ( a quick trip to Ace fixed that for $3 until my monoprice wallmount arrived).

Yeah, Warehouse Deals is where I got this one. It looks FANTASTIC, but it's just shutting off every time I try to turn it on.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
http://hdguru.com/panasonic-2013-plasma-hdtv-prices-and-features-revealed/10144/#more-10144

Some info on Panasonic's new Plasma lineup, release dates and pricing.

scanlonman
Feb 7, 2008

by R. Guyovich
What 1080p 32" - 39" would you guys recommend for a TV that's going to be mounted to a wall in a building? It's going to be hooked up via HDMI from a computer, however it will be shut down at night so I'm not too worried about burn in.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

toplitzin posted:

I ended up getting this. It's the 50" Vizio E-series Smart LED. I was gonna get the 47" LED, but the Walmart that I went to said they had them "in stock" but they just couldn't find them. After trying to get one ordered and sent in from the warehouse or another store, they ended up giving me the 50" for the 47" price.

So yeah, I think I ended up okay.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

scanlonman posted:

What 1080p 32" - 39" would you guys recommend for a TV that's going to be mounted to a wall in a building? It's going to be hooked up via HDMI from a computer, however it will be shut down at night so I'm not too worried about burn in.

The only technology that is prone to burn in (and it really isn't anymore) is plasma, and they don't come smaller than 42". You're going to have to go with an LCD. Vizio tends to be the best price for picture in LCD.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Barry posted:

http://hdguru.com/panasonic-2013-plasma-hdtv-prices-and-features-revealed/10144/#more-10144

Some info on Panasonic's new Plasma lineup, release dates and pricing.

Based on that pricing I maybe should have waited for the ST60 but on the other hand the ST50 is confirmed awesome, has a lot written about it already and I could get it NOW.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Samsung has one "flagship" and then some lower specc'd models coming out this year versus the usual full range. They drop around the same time as panasonic, so I'm playing the waiting game to see what they have that competes with the ST60.

I've waited forever to upgrade, so at this point a gt or zt model at 2-3x the price seems silly when I'll want to replace it with a 4k set in a few years (2-3 years?).

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Yeah, the ST60 looks like the sweet spot, specifically the 60". The Panasonic EPP program has them for $1444 + tax, which is pretty tough to beat.

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

IF YOU ARE READING THIS IN AN NBA THREAD, LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT TO SEE MY EXPLETIVE RIDDEN, NONSENSICAL POST OF UTTER BULLSHIT
Looking for a 60-incher plasma without any Smart TV feature needed. Replacing our 5-year old Panasonic plasma GT50. Any recommendation? Would like to keep it at $1,000 max. Primary uses: cable TV, HTPC, some PS3 gaming.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Barry posted:

Yeah, the ST60 looks like the sweet spot, specifically the 60". The Panasonic EPP program has them for $1444 + tax, which is pretty tough to beat.

Thanks for the heads up, I have access to that discount through my employer.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
No problem. I had my eye on the 60VT60 at first but the $1100 extra is a pretty tough sell.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I read through the thread and didn't quite see my particular situation addressed, so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. My apologies in advance if this isn't the right place to ask.

I have kept an old CRT TV for years to play older video game systems on since when I attempt to connect them to a newer TV there's either a huge amount of lag or they don't have the correct connections I need. I'm hoping to pick up a flat-panel TV that doesn't have the lag issue because that would be a lot easier than lugging around my 50 lb CRT.

I'm hoping to keep this relatively cheap and this would be a secondary TV that would be for my home office so it doesn't need to be huge. I'm thinking 27" or so, but probably no bigger than 32" at the max. Ideally wouldn't cost more than $250-300. Obviously doesn't need to be a smart TV or have all the latest bells and whistles. The biggest issue is the lag.

Does anyone have experience with a TV that would fit what I'm looking for?

(For reference, the video game systems I'm hoping to use are NES/SNES/N64/PS1/PS2. Essentially I'd need something that plays well with all of these but especially the first two on that list)

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

IllegallySober posted:

I read through the thread and didn't quite see my particular situation addressed, so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. My apologies in advance if this isn't the right place to ask.

I have kept an old CRT TV for years to play older video game systems on since when I attempt to connect them to a newer TV there's either a huge amount of lag or they don't have the correct connections I need. I'm hoping to pick up a flat-panel TV that doesn't have the lag issue because that would be a lot easier than lugging around my 50 lb CRT.

I'm hoping to keep this relatively cheap and this would be a secondary TV that would be for my home office so it doesn't need to be huge. I'm thinking 27" or so, but probably no bigger than 32" at the max. Ideally wouldn't cost more than $250-300. Obviously doesn't need to be a smart TV or have all the latest bells and whistles. The biggest issue is the lag.

Does anyone have experience with a TV that would fit what I'm looking for?

(For reference, the video game systems I'm hoping to use are NES/SNES/N64/PS1/PS2. Essentially I'd need something that plays well with all of these but especially the first two on that list)

If you haven't already, you might wanna crosspost this in the Retro thread in Games, as they're bound to have first hand experience with your question.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Soul Glo posted:

If you haven't already, you might wanna crosspost this in the Retro thread in Games, as they're bound to have first hand experience with your question.

Good call, I'll cross-post there as well and see if they have any answers too. Thanks. :)

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Demented Guy posted:

Looking for a 60-incher plasma without any Smart TV feature needed. Replacing our 5-year old Panasonic plasma GT50. Any recommendation? Would like to keep it at $1,000 max. Primary uses: cable TV, HTPC, some PS3 gaming.

Panasonic is either the only people still making plasma TVs or the only one worth a second look. General consensus is that their ST line is the sweet spot, or the UT if you're looking to save a buck and don't care about glare (the ST line has some anti-glare shenanigans going on).

Smart features, much like 3D, are becoming standard. Manufacturers are throwing them into everything except their budget models. If it makes you feel better, the smart features can blow - I love my Vizio's picture quality, but boy howdy is everything about the connectivity terrible.

franchise1
Jun 5, 2006

Demented Guy posted:

Wasn't the GT50 last years model? I'm not sure on US pricing but what Boxman says is spot on.

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

IF YOU ARE READING THIS IN AN NBA THREAD, LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT TO SEE MY EXPLETIVE RIDDEN, NONSENSICAL POST OF UTTER BULLSHIT
Thanks guys. I'm deciding between the U50 (which they say sucks because of glare) and the ST50 which is more expensive. How bad is the glare on the U50? The TV will be placed in front of a window with blinds that can darken the room (but we like to open it sometimes)

And I might have confused my model numbers. It's a Panasonic GT. Maybe not GT50 since we bought it 4-5 years ago

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Demented Guy posted:

Thanks guys. I'm deciding between the U50 (which they say sucks because of glare) and the ST50 which is more expensive. How bad is the glare on the U50? The TV will be placed in front of a window with blinds that can darken the room (but we like to open it sometimes)

And I might have confused my model numbers. It's a Panasonic GT. Maybe not GT50 since we bought it 4-5 years ago

I have the U50 in a very bright living room, and it's noticeable but doesn't bother me. If you're anal about your picture quality I probably wouldn't recommend it, but everything comes through sharp if a little washed out in color.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Anyone have any personal experiences with the Sony Ex645? ( https://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666479228 )

I'm moving into a house next week and would like to upgrade from my 32" 720p TV. Mainly going to be using it to watch sports, movies and play PS3 occasionally. It looks like Sony is coming out with a new line soon (I have no interest in 3D) so I can get this one for $800 with my employee discount. I also get a discount on Panasonic and Sharp if they have any comparable sets. Mainly looking for the 50"-55" range.

Also random question but what's the best way to go about streaming music from either my android phone or tablet through my TV/speaker set? Does a wifi enabled set imply that I'll easily be able to do it directly or will I need something like apple TV?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Anyone have any opinion on the VIZIO E420-A0? It basically hits everything that I want in a TV (>40", Optical Out, >2 HDMI Ports, price). I'd mainly be using it for Netflix, Baseball/Football, and playing PS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Soul Glo posted:

I want a bigger, 1080 television, and I'm probably gonna buy it this Summer. I was looking through Best Buy's website, and there seem to be quite a few that fit my size (46") and budget (around $500), but most of them seem to be Insignia (an in-house brand, I believe) and Westinghouse. Are these two brands I should avoid at all costs, or is there a go-to television I'm not looking at that fits what I want?

I'm wondering this too, they have an Insignia 55" on sale this weekend for 599. I've been on the fence about upgrading my 40", but at that price Ill jump. The only thing I could find was a positive review on Cnet.