Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The guy who runs Saturday Night Curtain Jerkers' website finally updated after a 3-month lag. Catch up with me through the archive, as I've forgotten most of what has happened! I remember 'Ways Kevin Steen can be a heel in Canada' and 'Christian with a Chris-Chan gimmick' as classic bits we've done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!
I checked out the podcast for the first time, good stuff. I just want to say The Goog sounds like Henry Winkler and that's awesome.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
National Treasure update: I just listened to the Karl Stern tribute to Paul Bearer. He took an old interview he did with him around 2005, replayed it, and then failed to cut the rest of that show, which was an update on Austin walking out after being told to job to Coachman, and then a collection of "this day in history" bits.

I loving love Karl Stern.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rodney the Piper posted:

National Treasure update: I just listened to the Karl Stern tribute to Paul Bearer. He took an old interview he did with him around 2005, replayed it, and then failed to cut the rest of that show, which was an update on Austin walking out after being told to job to Coachman, and then a collection of "this day in history" bits.

I loving love Karl Stern.

I made sure to listen to that whole thing as well. My favorite Karl "National Treasure 3" Stern Moment of the Year (or MOTYC) was when he explained why there is that click in his shows. You see, it happens whenever he stops the recording for a moment, so it is completely unavoidable.

I sat there with a smile on my face as I imagined how this man is able to edit together different segments, add in bumper music and upload it to the internet but isn't able to edit out a click. It was magical.

Equally magical: Dave's revelation that TNA forgot to get visas for some of the foreign wrestlers they wanted to use on their taped PPVs.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
And it's because he records it on his front porch or something so has to stop it everytime a car goes past. It's really the greatest.

Latest Observer was like an hour and a half! :staredog:

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Steve Austin's blog posted:

Well, sonofabitch…It has been awhile since I wrote a blog, that’s for sure. So then I’ll jump right into the story…

Bout a year ago I thought about doing a podcast. And well, a year goes by and I haven’t done a GD thing…And my manager calls me up and says “Hey man, do you have any interest in doing a podcast?” I said “You drat right I do”. So the wheels were put in motion to get this show started.

To keep it simple I figgered I’d call it the Steve Austin Show. Pretty fuckin original and straight to the point.
Ok…So we got a name for the show. How long is it? And how often do you record the show? The show will start out at 30 minutes, give or take a few. And a new show will air once a week.

Well, what’s the show about, Einstein? Good question. The show will basically consist of me talking about current issues or events going on in the world and offering my expert opinion and commentary on said issues and events. I’ll have guests on the show from time to time in the studio or on the phone. I’ll interview folks from different walks of life that I find interesting. Hell, at any given time it could turn into a 30 minute bullshit session about life, hunting, pro wrestling, MMA, physical fitness, movies, beer…Anything. I will also send out a heads up via Twitter (@steveaustinBSR) when I will ask you guys for subject matter to talk about on the show. You can ask questions and I’ll provide some answers. I will also from time to time provide a phone number for you to call and we will talk on the show.

I am looking forward to starting the show this week. As with anything in life, it will be a work in progress. I don’t want to layout any specific format for the show right now and say “This is what the show is”. The pieces will fall into place and we’ll ride along and see what happens. That’s the way my brain works, anyway.

I will be providing updates on Twitter. The Steve Austin Show is around the corner. Stay tuned.
This could be good...

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Could be fun. I mean, Austin is always entertaining.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
At first I thought it was going to be Austin cutting promos about current world events, but then he went on to say it would probably just be talking about hunting and wrestling and stuff.

I still want to hear him cut a promo on the new pope or something.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

MassRayPer posted:

I made sure to listen to that whole thing as well. My favorite Karl "National Treasure 3" Stern Moment of the Year (or MOTYC) was when he explained why there is that click in his shows. You see, it happens whenever he stops the recording for a moment, so it is completely unavoidable.

I sat there with a smile on my face as I imagined how this man is able to edit together different segments, add in bumper music and upload it to the internet but isn't able to edit out a click. It was magical.

Equally magical: Dave's revelation that TNA forgot to get visas for some of the foreign wrestlers they wanted to use on their taped PPVs.

That was also amazing.

The content of his show is pretty good, and he's got a good personality for radio and all that. He just has hilarious quarks that make listening to his shows even more worthwhile.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

triplexpac posted:

At first I thought it was going to be Austin cutting promos about current world events, but then he went on to say it would probably just be talking about hunting and wrestling and stuff.

A while back a metalcore band got in hot water because they came out as anti-gay, and Austin cut a promo on them on his Facebook. It was amazing.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

triplexpac posted:

I'd be fine with him picking the worst person/company/entity of the week and spend the last 2-3 minutes of each show cutting a promo on why they suck.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

El Gallinero Gros posted:

A while back a metalcore band got in hot water because they came out as anti-gay, and Austin cut a promo on them on his Facebook. It was amazing.
That's comforting. I was worried I'd wind up listening to Austin drop limbaughisms.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LordPants posted:

And it's because he records it on his front porch or something so has to stop it everytime a car goes past. It's really the greatest.

Latest Observer was like an hour and a half! :staredog:

And of course there is backstory for why he records on the porch and not in his studio with his more professional equipment.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

sorry to shatter the dream but I think that was a fake Steve Austin account.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Perigryn posted:

This could be good...

Yes, but will he be able to get esteemed guests like The Shaman of Cum

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

LividLiquid posted:

That's comforting. I was worried I'd wind up listening to Austin drop limbaughisms.

I wouldn't mind hearing Austin troll AM radio hatemongers by calling in and giving them the "What?" treatment.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Cardboard Box posted:

sorry to shatter the dream but I think that was a fake Steve Austin account.

If so, it was a VERY good impression. gently caress, that was glorious. There are very few things in this world more satisfying than watching bigots be put in their place.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 19, 2013

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Please don't sue us Mike Quackenbush.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

what did we do now?

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

KungFu Grip posted:

what did we do now?

Well, umm...here:

It's episode TEN of the TEN COUNT! I say twelve at the beginning because I'm dumb and can't count. Our topics:

1. "USA" chants against Alberto Del Rio
2. Triple H's career on the line at WrestleMania
3. Booker T's going into the Hall of Fame...now?
4. FEUD OF THE WEEK: Randy Orton vs. Mark Henry
5. WRESTLER OF THE WEEK: Mike Quackenbush
6. What guys would benefit from having a "hook" in their theme song?
7. Make Tank Abbott a superstar in WCW circa 2000
8. What are your favorite/least favorite WrestleMania moments/angles?
9. What's your favorite B-show PPV?
10. What two guys would you like to see thrown into a tag team?

If we didn't get to your question, don't worry; we'll (probably) get to it on a future episode. Keep them coming!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I love how Bryan and Dave have basically the inverse opinion of PSP on Raw in almost every way.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

WCW actually booked the first couple months of Tank Abbott almost exactly like MRP suggested. He came out and KO'd jobbers for a few weeks, feuded with a martial artist they were pushing at the time (Jerry Flynn) before annihilating him on PPV, then feuded with a midcarder (Meng). Management couldn't control him and he was a wild man constantly brutalizing opponents after the bell. He kept calling out an injured Goldberg and even started stealing his entrance.

Then he lost to Scott Steiner a bunch and was jobbed out to Goldberg as soon as he came back and became Three Count's biggest fan

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

sportsgenius86 posted:

I love how Bryan and Dave have basically the inverse opinion of PSP on Raw in almost every way.

Do they? What they were saying pretty much lined up with what I thought as I was watching Raw, except I actually enjoy Fandango.

It sounds like Dave kinda does too, he just doesn't want to fight with Bryan over it haha.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Do they? What they were saying pretty much lined up with what I thought as I was watching Raw, except I actually enjoy Fandango.

It sounds like Dave kinda does too, he just doesn't want to fight with Bryan over it haha.

It seemed to me that most people thought the Pancake Patterson thing was pretty funny as opposed to being one of the worst things ever. And they seemed to love the end of Raw more than most here.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
For the Ten Count crew, what are your favourite and least favourite entrance themes?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRayPer posted:

Usually don't listen to you guys' podcast since Dave and Bryan basically eat up the time I want to spend listening to wrestling podcasts, but I'll give this one a shot for the Quack segment.

triplexpac posted:

They also really disliked the Punk segment. I can understand thinking it was in poor taste, but I don't get Dave's ojection that it's not "real life" and too cartoony for a major WM match when it's the loving Undertaker.

Pretty much in agreement with them on most everything else from the perspective of someone who made the questionable decision to see it live.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
Big Show ran down there faster than 90 percent of the guys!

No.

50 percent of the guys!

No.

30 percent of the guys!

No.

Faster than Khali!

Ok.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
Bryan Alvarez math: "TNA has like 9 front office people. Actually, after they cut the 2 press people they might be down to 6!"

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Big Dave on Booker T posted:

Nobody voted for him.

Aww. :smith:

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Aaaannndd of course people are giving Bryan poo poo for missing the Fandango silhouette pyro thing.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'm surprised Chyna and Quackenbush wasn't mentioned as Team Tiny Penis

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Headline of the new Observer back issue: "Misawa nips Michaels for Wrestler of the Year"

:stare:

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

He unintentionally lead the issue with a racist Tom Swifty.

Dave's terrible writing is magical.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I had seriously never heard the word nip used that way before. I've heard a lot of racial slurs too.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

an actual dictionary definition for nip is "to snatch away" but I think it's one of those old-timey meanings that have basically fallen out of English syntax

meaning it's exactly the kind of word Dave Meltzer would use

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I took me a while to figure out why it would be offensive. That's pretty bad in retrospect, but pretty obvious he didn't mean anything by it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Nippon means "Japan" doesn't it? Isn't there TV-Nippon?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

LordPants posted:

Nippon means "Japan" doesn't it? Isn't there TV-Nippon?

Nippon does mean "Japan", but "nip" is definitely a malicious racial slur.

I mean, it's clearly just Meltz loving up, but it's a pretty big gently caress-up.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

yes, and "nip" is a racist term for Japanese people derived from it.

EDIT: beaten but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Some of you guys must not have seen much old WW II movies/propgaganda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuMs5Trf9DU

• Locked thread