Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bandit64
Oct 22, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Reply that it's false, there's some hits about it on google but this seems a pretty good one :

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-idea-that-recent-mass-shooters-are-mostly-registered-democrats-is-a-myth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

Sir Rolo posted:

The week in LL101:

Race?

I thought he was muslim? How could he be pope?

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011

U.S. Barryl posted:

This was posted on my news feed. What do I do with it?

They were also all men and white. So ban all white men from buying guns.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

LoveMeDead posted:

They were also all men and white. So ban all white men from buying guns.

The VT shooter was a Korean national.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Point out that mental illness crosses party lines and that is all the more reason why we should have sensible gun control reform?

Coelacanthian
Dec 23, 2008
Posted "One down, thirty-two to go!" In response to Maryland striking down capital punishment. Got this loving wretched argument out of it...

Red is a failed police academy guy who I don't think I need to be friends with any more. It drives me into a seething rage every time his argument degrades to, "You just don't know what it's like in the real world" like I live on loving Jupiter in my Palace of Objectivity.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

U.S. Barryl posted:

Ask for supporting documentation/citations? It's a letter to the editor, in the Custer County Chronicle, fer chrissakes.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now

Zwabu posted:

Ask for supporting documentation/citations? It's a letter to the editor, in the Custer County Chronicle, fer chrissakes.

I've seen it going around Facebook since January, so the person probably plagiarized it, and mailed it to the newspaper as their own.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

I thought he was muslim? How could he be pope?

He is not a US citizen, yet he became president. :smug:

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Coelacanthian posted:

Posted "One down, thirty-two to go!" In response to Maryland striking down capital punishment. Got this loving wretched argument out of it...

Red is a failed police academy guy who I don't think I need to be friends with any more. It drives me into a seething rage every time his argument degrades to, "You just don't know what it's like in the real world" like I live on loving Jupiter in my Palace of Objectivity.

Your friend is a god drat sociopath and I'd watch my back at any public event where he's present.

Like, seriously, it takes a special kind of person to be like "innocent people died on my tax dollars. OH WELL LET GOD SORT 'EM OUT".

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Why did he fail to become a cop? Did his attitude have anything to do with it? I hope it did. If you know this to be the case, I suggest throwing that in his face.

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

Bob Moog sex tape posted:

I thought I would chalk it up to my friend being a dumb racist, and I would leave it at that, but a week later and one of his dumb racist friends came out of the woodwork.

And both of the articles in question:
http://takimag.com/article/tackling_asian_privilege_gavin_mcinnes
http://takimag.com/article/tackling_white_privilege_gavin_mcinnes

Of course, the guy that posted the last response that is a white guy who gets to enjoy the privileged of not acknowledging his privilege. The thing I hate about Facebook squabbles is that many times it involves expressing a whole different worldview which is impossible to convey in a Facebook post.

To deny that privilege exists and chalking it up to some sort of racial or cultural superiority takes a lot of willful ignorance. Also shame on me for thinking that the first article was a sly re-framing and not a race supremacist circle-jerk.

White privilege doesn't exist because some Asian people happen to be successful? What?

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Sir Rolo posted:

White privilege doesn't exist because some Asian people happen to be successful? What?

I mean, it's true that measuring privilege solely by material achievement would indicate that there's strong Asian privilege in the USA. Since this is absurd, you can either conclude that privilege is not solely a function of material achievement, or PRIVILEGE DON'T REAL :smug:.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Coelacanthian posted:

His last sentence - that the death penalty is good because life in prison is dehumanizing - is shockingly close to the dissent in the case where SCOTUS ruled the death penalty totally badass. The dissenting judge (I don't recall who it was, sorry) felt that the death penalty wasn't harsh enough, and that life in prison was like a science fiction movie where they live on a prison planet and have to fight all the time.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Boxman posted:

His last sentence - that the death penalty is good because life in prison is dehumanizing - is shockingly close to the dissent in the case where SCOTUS ruled the death penalty totally badass. The dissenting judge (I don't recall who it was, sorry) felt that the death penalty wasn't harsh enough, and that life in prison was like a science fiction movie where they live on a prison planet and have to fight all the time.

It's worth mentioning that was an Onion piece.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Boxman posted:

http://www.theonion.com/video/supreme-court-rules-death-penalty-is-totally-badas,14244/

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
I do agree that concealed carry should be legal, but only if it's a totally slick MP5 submachine gun hidden in a trench-coat or something. Otherwise, no dice.

Coelacanthian
Dec 23, 2008

VideoTapir posted:

Why did he fail to become a cop? Did his attitude have anything to do with it? I hope it did. If you know this to be the case, I suggest throwing that in his face.

It's actually been really hard keeping myself from not just going for the jugular. The guy lost probably 150 pounds over the past few years and really made a lot of progress towards bettering himself, but I heard several times through the grapevine that he got flushed out of training for various reasons. One might have been related to his physical condition, though I have a hard time believing that since he's way in shape now and is hyper involved with Brazilian Ju Jitsu (the mentality of which is notoriously tough-guy / philosopher-warrior, which appeals to some people in the worst way). The more "discussions" I have with him the more I think he's juuuuuuust a taaaaaad sociopathic. I think he's in some sort of ongoing process to get into law enforcement, but really he has the moral compass of a 10th century warlord. And he would be SUPER stoked to have someone say that to him.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Coelacanthian posted:

The more "discussions" I have with him the more I think he's juuuuuuust a taaaaaad sociopathic. I think he's in some sort of ongoing process to get into law enforcement, but really he has the moral compass of a 10th century warlord. And he would be SUPER stoked to have someone say that to him.

Sounds like perfect US Police Force material to me.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Radical Griff posted:

I do agree that concealed carry should be legal, but only if it's a totally slick MP5 submachine gun hidden in a trench-coat or something. Otherwise, no dice.

With a running soundtrack by Propellerheads.

I think this may actually how a lot of these urban cowboys picture themselves, potentially spreading justice one lead salad at a time.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Bob Moog sex tape posted:

I thought I would chalk it up to my friend being a dumb racist, and I would leave it at that, but a week later and one of his dumb racist friends came out of the woodwork.

And both of the articles in question:
http://takimag.com/article/tackling_asian_privilege_gavin_mcinnes
http://takimag.com/article/tackling_white_privilege_gavin_mcinnes

Of course, the guy that posted the last response that is a white guy who gets to enjoy the privileged of not acknowledging his privilege. The thing I hate about Facebook squabbles is that many times it involves expressing a whole different worldview which is impossible to convey in a Facebook post.

To deny that privilege exists and chalking it up to some sort of racial or cultural superiority takes a lot of willful ignorance. Also shame on me for thinking that the first article was a sly re-framing and not a race supremacist circle-jerk.
Privilege is up there with feminism in terms of being something where people utterly refuse to actually debate the actual thing instead of a straw man they made up. Privilege is complicated and non-binary, and having it doesn't mean you're a bad person and doesn't mean that your achievements are meaningless. And yeah, generally speaking Asians don't get poo poo on quite as hard as black people, but that doesn't mean the poo poo that happens to Asian people is okay.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Walter posted:

I think this may actually how a lot of these urban cowboys picture themselves, potentially spreading justice one lead salad at a time.

I find this is pretty common with Conservatives and Libertarians alike.

The not-so-subtle implication of all the "concealed carry" rhetoric is that, deep down, they believe they're going to be the "lone hero" who guns down the shooter/robber/person of color.

Same thing with "parasites" on welfare. They assume they're one of the "great men" Ayn Rand wrote about as they read Free Republic and act smug.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Radical Griff posted:

The not-so-subtle implication of all the "concealed carry" rhetoric is that, deep down, they believe they're going to be the "lone hero" who guns down the shooter/robber/person of color.

Or maybe they believe they'll have the tool to defend themselves or their families at the appropriate time. Everyone isn't a stereotype.

By playing into this stereotype game and directing your comments broadly, as opposed to confining them to those that forward some of this crazy poo poo, you are just as culpable as the one that spout 'herf derf welfare queens in Cadillacs!' that you lampoon.

In short, you became the very monster that you fought.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

LeJackal posted:

In short, you became the very monster that you fought.

This probably shouldn't have made me laugh as hard as it did, but there you go.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

U.S. Barryl posted:

I found http://www.examiner.com/article/the-idea-that-recent-mass-shooters-are-mostly-registered-democrats-is-a-myth but honestly I wish I could find more. That whole c/p job is either an unsubstantiated lie or straight up deceit. I mean, half of those states don't even half partisan registration so how can you even be a registered democratic?

Edit: at the top of the goddamn page. Ffff, sorry

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Is it a coincidence that so much stuff about white privilege and "blacks are the real racists!" has been popping up on Facebook over the past few weeks? It seems like I've seen at least four or five articles, videos, and posts about people expressing how hard it is to be white, or how blacks should get over slavery or some other nonsense. Today this article popped up onto my feed, but I'm starting to see a trend. Anyone else?

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2013/03/abigail-fisher-university-texas/63247/

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
CPAC (the Conservative Political Action Conference) is this week. It's causing a civil war among conservatives as some fight to drag it towards the center, and others fight to drag it to the right. So they're publicly and on air arguing with themselves over whether racism even exists, and it's spilling into op-eds and forums and blogs.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

XyloJW posted:

CPAC (the Conservative Political Action Conference) is this week. It's causing a civil war among conservatives as some fight to drag it towards the center, and others fight to drag it to the right. So they're publicly and on air arguing with themselves over whether racism even exists, and it's spilling into op-eds and forums and blogs.

Yea, they're really tearing themselves apart. They've really turned the crazy up to eleven.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Got some racist screed from my grandma today, who somehow got it into her head that an e-mail that has never been mine is mine and uses that one to send birthday wishes, but ensures I get all her racist forwards at my own email.

quote:

Oh CANADA…….we wish to shop from thee ………..!

Subject: This is TRULY worth reading and considering.....

thought this might be motivating for you.

A physics teacher in high school once told the students:
That while one grasshopper on the railroad tracks wouldn't
Slow a train very much, a billion of them would.
With that thought in mind, read the following, obviously Written by a patriotic Canadian:

Shopping in Lowe's the other day for some reason and just for the fun of it I was looking at the garden hose attachments. They were all made in China . The next day I was in Home Hardware and just for the fun of it I checked the hose attachments there. They were made in Canada !

Start looking...

In our current economic situation, every little thing we buy or do affects someone else - even their job.

A quote from a consumer: "My grandson likes Hershey's candy. I noticed, though, that it is marked made in Mexico now, instead of Smiths Falls , Ontario . I do not buy it any more".

My favorite toothpaste, Colgate, is made in Mexico now. I have switched to Crest.

You have to read the labels on everything.

This past weekend I was at Wal-Mart. I needed 60W light bulbs. I was in the light bulb aisle, and right next to the GE brand I normally buy was an off-brand labelled, "Everyday Value". I picked up both types of bulbs and compared the stats - they were the same except for the price. The GE bulbs were more money than the Everyday Value brand but the thing that surprised me the most was the fact that GE was made in MEXICO and the Everyday Value brand was made in - get ready for this - Canada at a company in Ontario .

Their Equate Products are also made in Canada, and are very good.

Just to add my own experience on buying Made in Canada , I was looking for canned mushrooms that were made in Canada and could never find any, so I would buy fresh. But recently I found Ravine mushrooms - made in Canada with a little red maple leaf on the can. A little more money but when I opened the can I looked at mushrooms that look like real mushrooms, not a mushroom that looks like it was cleaned in bleach.

Another product I no longer buy is Del Monte or Dole canned fruit. Del Monte is packaged in Taiwan and Dole is now a product of China .

Why should we pay for their fruit when our growers are left with fruit rotting on the trees. E.D. Smith is still made in Canada... buy theirs, at least you will know what is in it and have some quality control.

By the way, all pickles with the Presidents Choice label and the No Name yellow label [Superstore] are made in India . Think about it, water from the Ganges is used... yes THAT Ganges , the one that the people use as a toilet.
So throw out the myth that you cannot find products you use every day that are made right here.

My challenge to you is to start reading the labels when you shop for everyday things and see what you can find that is made In Canada. The job you save may be your own or your neighbour's'! (Your children & grandchildren, also.)

If you accept this challenge, pass it on to others in your address book so we can all start buying Canadian, one light bulb at a time! Stop buying from overseas companies!

(We should have awakened two decades ago.)

Let's get with the program. Help our fellow Canadians keep their jobs and create more jobs here in Canada .

If President Obama insists on a 'Made in America ' Policy, which is commendable of him, to support American workers, we should do likewise.

BUY C A N A DI A N! Read the labels. Support Canadian jobs.

Pilkington
Nov 5, 2005

You see, the other raptors and I have constructed a crude suspension bridge to Venezuela

Dirty Job posted:

Is it a coincidence that so much stuff about white privilege and "blacks are the real racists!" has been popping up on Facebook over the past few weeks? It seems like I've seen at least four or five articles, videos, and posts about people expressing how hard it is to be white, or how blacks should get over slavery or some other nonsense. Today this article popped up onto my feed, but I'm starting to see a trend. Anyone else?

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2013/03/abigail-fisher-university-texas/63247/

Good to know that she's repping my city of Sugar Land. Which by the way, is very rich and white.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

neongrey posted:

Got some racist screed from my grandma today, who somehow got it into her head that an e-mail that has never been mine is mine and uses that one to send birthday wishes, but ensures I get all her racist forwards at my own email.

I suppose if you could get one billion grasshoppers to all form into a solid, uniform cube and stand perfectly still they would slow down a train quite a bit, since they would collectively weigh something like six thousand metric tons, but wouldn't most of them just fly away? :goonsay:

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

andrew smash posted:

It's actually true? Obviously the secret service would be concerned and vigilant regarding poisoning attempts but I figured they just had ironclad chain of custody over his food.
Great article about procedure when the First Family goes to a restaurant:

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2011-03-15/lifestyle/35261330_1_restaurant-manager-potus-flotus/2

quote:

In the kitchen, there’s close scrutiny but no official tasting.

“There was one Secret Service agent in a black suit assigned to me, like my shadow,” says Scott Drewno, executive chef at the Source. “He watched everything I cooked for them. He was also a chef, so he knew his way around a kitchen.” The chef/agent expressed culinary interest in the food but declined offers to eat anything, Drewno says.

Edit: I would love to be the Secret Service Culinary Agent.

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 20, 2013

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Haha. I bet that's awkward when Obama goes to a fast food place or a diner on a campaign stop.

Also, I didn't realize the Secret Service had a chef/agent. I'm picturing a really stern guy in dark sunglasses, a black suit, earpiece, and a poofy white hat.

Or maybe he wears a black double-button coat and apron.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The Macaroni posted:

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2011-03-15/lifestyle/35261330_1_restaurant-manager-potus-flotus/2

Is it weird that I really want to know how Obama uses the bathroom? Do they have send someone in to scout first? Id have a major panic attack if a secret service guy knocked on the cubicle door to hurry me up.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

XyloJW posted:

Haha. I bet that's awkward when Obama goes to a fast food place or a diner on a campaign stop.

Also, I didn't realize the Secret Service had a chef/agent. I'm picturing a really stern guy in dark sunglasses, a black suit, earpiece, and a poofy white hat.

Can his handgun have a butcher's knife at the end?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Mitchicon posted:

Can his handgun have a butcher's knife at the end?

No, he's a pastry chef in my imagination, so it's a rolling pin that he keeps in a shoulder holster.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

XyloJW posted:

There was some article about a guy at some state fair that ended up becoming a 2012 campaign stop. Pretty much the secret service comes in a day/couple of hours prior, asks if you're up, and then will choreograph the next few hours. It sounds like they try to be as simple and painless as possible but I remember talk of a few bomb dogs that have to scour the whole premise for a bit.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Macaroni posted:

You and me both :allears:

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Propaganda Hour posted:

There was some article about a guy at some state fair that ended up becoming a 2012 campaign stop. Pretty much the secret service comes in a day/couple of hours prior, asks if you're up, and then will choreograph the next few hours. It sounds like they try to be as simple and painless as possible but I remember talk of a few bomb dogs that have to scour the whole premise for a bit.

Learning about Secret Service techniques blows my mind, because it's so incredibly effective, but simple and logical at the same time.

I like writing and politics because you get to talk lots and bullshit it so hard. It's the opposite of the Feds. I have serious respect for anyone who can do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

XyloJW posted:

No, he's a pastry chef in my imagination, so it's a rolling pin that he keeps in a shoulder holster.

Or a sous chef named Randy Randerson.

How the secret service guys keep from going full :tinfoil: from all the crap they have to deal with is beyond me.