Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
Has anyone tried the HDTP full release beta? I heard the full version was recently released, but haven't gotten the chance to try it yet. I don't know if it supports the awesome biomod but it seems pretty cool that its finally out in a playable form. I didn't see it mentioned in the last few pages to see if it was brought up.

MrJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is it weird that, after getting a tricked out 10mm/rifle/Dragon's Tooth I still find myself taking down people with a Baton whenever possible? I don't even use the prod that much because it doesn't knock guys out in one shot like a well-placed Baton hit does. I like the minimal force approach, we're cops after all.

VV They were all dead except for the office workers and I didn't want to look like too big of a dick, walking back over their fried bodies.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 20, 2013

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!

C-Euro posted:

Are you really going to go back through the front door of Versalife after torching half a dozen guards (and the secretary) with a WP grenade?

Scared of a little challenge?

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

MrJacobs posted:

Has anyone tried the HDTP full release beta? I heard the full version was recently released, but haven't gotten the chance to try it yet. I don't know if it supports the awesome biomod but it seems pretty cool that its finally out in a playable form. I didn't see it mentioned in the last few pages to see if it was brought up.

I played the full HDTP with shifter and it worked just fine. Didn't test biomod because biomod is not fun, but I suspect it should work equally well.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I just bought this game on steam (GOTY edition) and I cant for the life of me figure out how to install that fixer in the OP. But it looks pretty good anyway with the settings upped. Did Steam integrate better graphics and such already?

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

The Dregs posted:

I just bought this game on steam (GOTY edition) and I cant for the life of me figure out how to install that fixer in the OP. But it looks pretty good anyway with the settings upped. Did Steam integrate better graphics and such already?

All you need is New Vision. Launcher, renderer, and textures wrapped in an installer. Run it and go.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Oh, that works great!

gently caress this game is confusing. That goddamned machine gun sitting over the door on the first mission keeps killing me. The prod stunner thing is fun though.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
That's not the only way in. :ssh:

Alternatively: GEP!

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
Yeah, I think it's pretty well agreed upon that while Liberty Island is a good level, it's kind of a lovely starting mission. It asks a lot of you and gives you very few tools or hints. That said, here's a hint: take the GEP gun.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
For a better experience, I'd go ahead and install biomod on your first playthrough. This will remove some of the trap augs/skills and make it less likely you'll waste skill points and upgrade cannisters.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Or if you want kinda the basic game with improvements to streamline the experience, try shifter. It does not gently caress around so much with augs/skills but it will make the game way nicer to play. Biomod is better, but if you want to experience the 'base game' first, try shifter.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm just replaying for like the 5th time, holy heck New Vision is amazing.

Going for my "no kills" playthrough :smug:

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 23, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

The Dregs posted:

Oh, that works great!

gently caress this game is confusing. That goddamned machine gun sitting over the door on the first mission keeps killing me. The prod stunner thing is fun though.

You're too bad with guns at the beginning to play it like a FPS, so treat the first mission like a stealth mission. Try to take out as many guys as you can with the prod/tranq darts/a baton. The baton in particular is great for the whole game, sneak up behind guys and hit them in the small of their back and it's almost always a one-hit knockout.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Has there been any news about the High Definition Pack? I already have New Vision and I wanted to make the character models a little nicer to match.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Liberty Island is an amazing mission... once you're acclimated to the game.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Alabaster White posted:

Has there been any news about the High Definition Pack? I already have New Vision and I wanted to make the character models a little nicer to match.

its released as a public beta, and apparently everything works... kinda. Some glitches (it is a beta) and you can't use the fancy MJ12 soldier textures because if they sit down the game crashes. Apparently the other models function well enough though. and apparently the only mods compatible are New Vision and something called give me deus ex mode. So no shifter or Biomod.

MrJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 26, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Finally beat this for the first time the other day, totally rad even if your power progression was really back-loaded. A question about the end sequence though (tagged but probably doesn't need to be)- When trying to access Aquinas Station A3, will Page always blow up the generators in there? After getting fried/nearly fried twice trying to enter that room I just said gently caress it and hacked the Aquinas control room panel with some Multitools. It was so satisfying watching that prick say "Hey, don't take Helios, I wanted it :smith:". gently caress you Bob Page.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

Voice acting in mods always makes me shudder. The original game had loads of terrible "friends/family of the developers" actors especially in Hong Kong but goddamn.

"No thanks. I had a ham sandwich in the chopper." It's just... goddamn. Mad Ingram, the nano-augmented ham sandwich eating agent. I thought soy food, soda and candy bars were the only foods in this universe anyway.

I remember seeing a few Freespace mods that had sort of decent acting. But from what I recall it usually involved contacting voice-over groups that would do volunteer non-commercial work (for experience I guess) or family members with acting experience and obviously took forever to get all the lines recorded in between whatever more important work the actors had going on. And if the writing sucks to begin with (or simply wasn't written with voice-over in mind) it's just going to sound even worse when it's voiced. If your only option is to get your mod team/mod team's roommates to read lines into a $10 PC mic it's definitely better off just leaving everything unvoiced.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

fleshweasel posted:

Voice acting in mods always makes me shudder. The original game had loads of terrible "friends/family of the developers" actors especially in Hong Kong but goddamn.

"No thanks. I had a ham sandwich in the chopper." It's just... goddamn. Mad Ingram, the nano-augmented ham sandwich eating agent. I thought soy food, soda and candy bars were the only foods in this universe anyway.

Nameless mod had some alright voice acting. I don't know much about this sort of thing, but I'm fairly certain the biggest problem is probably an enviroment conductive to voice acting is harder to get as a modder. The accoustics, especially are a problem.

Little Blue Couch posted:

Yeah, I think it's pretty well agreed upon that while Liberty Island is a good level, it's kind of a lovely starting mission. It asks a lot of you and gives you very few tools or hints. That said, here's a hint: take the GEP gun.

Anyone have that picture of two starter pokemon and the GEP gun, still? :allears:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I was getting around to playing Invisible War, since I've decided to at least play all the games I own on Steam and... I've heard so much about it but it still couldn't prepare me about how baffling the whole design is. It is like they decided to take a step back in every single thing that there was in Deus Ex 1. Universal ammo, universal multitools, removing the computer interface and the option of putting in codes manually, the whole bloody interface, the lack of any sympathetic characters at the start and... Well, I've only played half an hour, but goddamn.

It is like the platonic ideal of "dumbing down for a mass audience and completely missing the point" made manifest. I don't know if I'll manage to play this.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

ZearothK posted:

I was getting around to playing Invisible War, since I've decided to at least play all the games I own on Steam and... I've heard so much about it but it still couldn't prepare me about how baffling the whole design is. It is like they decided to take a step back in every single thing that there was in Deus Ex 1. Universal ammo, universal multitools, removing the computer interface and the option of putting in codes manually, the whole bloody interface, the lack of any sympathetic characters at the start and... Well, I've only played half an hour, but goddamn.

It is like the platonic ideal of "dumbing down for a mass audience and completely missing the point" made manifest. I don't know if I'll manage to play this.

You don't have to. It doesn't really get better, either, so if I were you, I'd just go replay DX1 instead or something.
Not that IW is a bad game, it's mediocre at worst, but it definitely doesn't hold a candle to the first.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Was bored last night and decided to try out Unrealistic Mode (in Shifter/Biomod). A stray bullet from the first NSF agent I saw caused the second NSF agent I saw to blow up :stare: Are there explosive 10mm rounds in the game or was it scripted to treat the bullet like a rocket (or other type of ammo) when it contacts someone?

VV What do you mean by rare? Are they in hard-to-find locations or do they spawn randomly at some low rate?

Unrealistic makes all NPC bullets explosive, though it doesn't really make much of a difference. Just a small bit of splash damage, when you'll already be dying fairly quickly if you're hit anyway. There are 10mm explosive rounds that you can use, which are available on any difficulty, and they're a lot stronger. Another thing you should watch out for is pissing off cleaning bots or animals, especially if there are any corpses nearby. Not only can they start with weapons, though that's rare, they can pick up weapons and use them.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah, having finally beaten the game I realized that explosive 10mm ammo actually exists. And thank God too, they were perfect for taking out those little spider robots.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The problem with voice acting in a Deus Ex mod is how completely necessary it is. I tried that 2027 mod but the first time I had to stand there and read my codec call I couldn't believe what a difference it made. If you aren't walking around listening to people talk to you over your radio you don't feel like you're playing Deus Ex. Nameless Mod know this and nails it perfectly.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Deus Ex: Sonic Augmentation
( http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/Sonic-Augmentation )

Adam Badke posted:

What do you remember about the sound track from the original Deus Ex?

Primarily composed by Alexander Brandon (with the support of Dan Gardopée and Michiel van den Bos), this iconic audio ensemble was influenced by the styles of techno, jazz and classical - its gritty ambient tunes and driving beats gaining wide critical acclaim after the release of Deus Ex in 2000. As many of you will remember, the game capitalized on a dynamic music system to match the tunes to the player's actions, shifting from slow to fast-paced as the situation required. A remastered version featuring added instruments and audio production was also shipped with early copies of the GOTY edition.

So, why the refresher course now, 13 years later?

Good question!

It’s with incredible excitement we’d like to announce the release of “Deus Ex: Sonic Augmentation”. In collaboration with OC Remix, the world’s #1 online video game music remix organization, original composer Alexander Brandon and the OC Remix team have completely remixed and reimagined the slammin’ sounds of the original Deus Ex soundtrack to bring them to you like you’ve never heard before.

8 original, cybernetically enhanced arrangements take the old and make it new again, augmenting the sounds of Deus Ex and reinventing them for a modern era.

And the kicker? The entire album is completely FREE! Stream the tracks right from the comfort of your browser, or download the MP3s directly to your hard drive – it’s your choice – all from the official Deus Ex Facebook page.

Track 1 “The Search for Ambrosia” by Zircon & Jillian Aversa is available now. Two tracks will be unlocked every week until the entire album has been released in full. Head over to the OC Remix tab on our Facebook page to check them out!

What do you think of Track 1? Leave us a comment below and let us know! Also, don’t forget to share the tracks with your friends!
I don't think the download link is active yet, but you can listen to the track.
edit: They've added a download link now.

Tecman fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 19, 2013

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Tecman posted:

Deus Ex: Sonic Augmentation
( http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/Sonic-Augmentation )

I don't think the download link is active yet, but you can listen to the track.

You can, and it's terrible. :arghfist::iamafag:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I expected no less from OverClocked ReMix.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

ZearothK posted:

I just beat Invisible War and all I keep asking myself is "why?" It really isn't even worth beating because it's so dumbed down and the plot is basically a crappy rehash of the first game.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Invisible War has a couple of good ideas -- obligatory mention of the Omar and NG Resonance, but I think Dr Nasif character and the Coffee Wars subplots are fundamentally strong ideas with botched executions. I really like the way that Invisible War tries to explore the way that Deus Ex's conspiracies operate on more mundane levels than was focussed on in the first game, though I find the game in general is borderline lovely.

Future Cairo's pretty exotic though. I'd love to be able to revisit it in a Human Revolution sequel.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The problem with voice acting in a Deus Ex mod is how completely necessary it is. I tried that 2027 mod but the first time I had to stand there and read my codec call I couldn't believe what a difference it made. If you aren't walking around listening to people talk to you over your radio you don't feel like you're playing Deus Ex. Nameless Mod know this and nails it perfectly.
Yeah, I think this is one of the things that puts TNM over the other Deus Ex mods even if the plot is too ridiculous to care about. It does make a world of difference - I think if the game itself didn't have voice acting the absence of it wouldn't be so jarring but it's such an important part of the atmosphere that when it's gone you really notice it. There was just something about approaching a big building and having your tech guy (wherether that's Alex, Tong or Savage) giving you the lowdown of the place without having a dramatic swooping cutscene. It made you appreciate it more.

mid83
Oct 15, 2012
Are there any good LP's for this? I've always wanted to see what this game is about but I'm started and quit about 4 times over the past five years. I figure at worst I can watch an LP when I have some free time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's the curse of Deus Ex for me too. I've owned it for years and I've kept trying to get into it, and I can just barely eke out the second level past the introduction and then I just lose interest. Someday I'll beat you, Deus Ex, I swear! :smith:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Haven't watched it personally, but there's a Deus Ex LP on the archive: http://lparchive.org/Deus-Ex/

I thought GetWellGamers had completed his Deus Ex screenshot playthrough, but I guess not? Or did it not get archived?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Semiru posted:

Haven't watched it personally, but there's a Deus Ex LP on the archive: http://lparchive.org/Deus-Ex/

I thought GetWellGamers had completed his Deus Ex screenshot playthrough, but I guess not? Or did it not get archived?

I think half of the pictures ended up going down with Waffleimages.

mid83
Oct 15, 2012
So I watched about 20 minutes and said screw it, I'm playing this. I installed the GOTY edition along with several mods and I just got through the first mission for the first time ever.

By the way, some of these mods are INCREDIBLE. It practically puts an HD polish on the game while maintaining the same look. It always amazes me what the modding community is able to do on PC. In case anybody is interested, here are the mods I installed.

Deus Ex Enhanced Version
Shifter
Kentie's DX10 renderer for Deus Ex
New Vision
HDTP

Here is the link for Deus Ex Enhanced Version. The rest of the mods are linked directly on that page

http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-enhanced

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Camaro83 posted:

So I watched about 20 minutes and said screw it, I'm playing this. I installed the GOTY edition along with several mods and I just got through the first mission for the first time ever.

By the way, some of these mods are INCREDIBLE. It practically puts an HD polish on the game while maintaining the same look. It always amazes me what the modding community is able to do on PC. In case anybody is interested, here are the mods I installed.

Deus Ex Enhanced Version
Shifter
Kentie's DX10 renderer for Deus Ex
New Vision
HDTP

Here is the link for Deus Ex Enhanced Version. The rest of the mods are linked directly on that page

http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-enhanced

One of us. One of us! Soon you will be replaying this every few years for the rest of your life.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm actually going to do a Deus Ex + HR playthrough now, for 2013! Thanks thread!

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I installed Deus Ex, installed the latest patch, and then installed Deus Ex Fixer because the OP said I should and now the game won't start and I get an error message that says:

DeusEx.exe - System Error posted:

The program can't start because MSVCP110.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Upmarket Mango posted:

I installed Deus Ex, installed the latest patch, and then installed Deus Ex Fixer because the OP said I should and now the game won't start and I get an error message that says:

Does anyone know how I can fix this?
Steam version? If so, did you run it once before installing this stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

fuckpot posted:

Steam version? If so, did you run it once before installing this stuff?

No, I have the retail version, and yes, I ran the game after patching it before installing the fixer mod and it worked just fine.