Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

juan the owl posted:

Pretty sure you're waaaay over-simplifying Citizen Kane too, but that's neither here nor there.

In what way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Just to throw in on the Lovecraft discussion, I mostly stick with Michel Houellebecq's interpretation of his use of character. Strictly speaking, the narrators in Lovecraft's fiction aren't characters so much as they are pure viewpoints, cameras to guide the reader down into the heart of the story, which usually takes the form of a conceptual breakthrough with reveals the world as an overwhelming hostile and alien realm. There are ways you could do that in a movie, but given how much of Lovecraft's power comes from his prose (it's not what is traditionally considered "good", but I doubt you could get the effects he wanted without using it), I'm not surprised he's been so hard to adapt.

However, I am surprised that Ramsey Campbell's work has generally gone unadapted. I think he's one of the best people working in horror literature today, yet he doesn't seem to have much presence outside the genre and medium.

juan the owl
Oct 26, 2007

THERE'S A MONSTER AT THE END OF THIS POST!!

Well, it's true that we never really "know" Kane; we only see him filtered through the perspectives of others. And while we learn things about him through the movie itself that no characters know themselves (like what "Rosebud" means), this is complicated by our awareness that we're just another witness, and that our knowledge of him is subjective and incomplete even though we know so much about the events of his life. So yeah, Kane is "unknowable."

This is a pretty complicated approach to a character, complicated enough that it's the subject of the movie! To say that it's equivalent to a Lovecraft narrator having few character traits or no backstory just doesn't make much sense to me and seems like a pretty shallow reduction of both Lovecraft and Welles' goals.

Marshal Radisic posted:

Just to throw in on the Lovecraft discussion, I mostly stick with Michel Houellebecq's interpretation of his use of character. Strictly speaking, the narrators in Lovecraft's fiction aren't characters so much as they are pure viewpoints, cameras to guide the reader down into the heart of the story, which usually takes the form of a conceptual breakthrough with reveals the world as an overwhelming hostile and alien realm.

Yeah, this is how I look at the majority Lovecraft's stories. They're involving and scary* because YOU are the narrator.

* Depending on your taste, I guess!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

juan the owl posted:

Well, it's true that we never really "know" Kane; we only see him filtered through the perspectives of others. And while we learn things about him through the movie itself that no characters know themselves (like what "Rosebud" means), this is complicated by our awareness that we're just another witness, and that our knowledge of him is subjective and incomplete even though we know so much about the events of his life. So yeah, Kane is "unknowable."

This is a pretty complicated approach to a character, complicated enough that it's the subject of the movie! To say that it's equivalent to a Lovecraft narrator having few character traits or no backstory just doesn't make much sense to me and seems like a pretty shallow reduction of both Lovecraft and Welles' goals.

The reduction of Kane to those particular narrative elements carries the context that you're familiar with Kane, though. It's not drawing an equivalency, it's highlighting the fact that Lovecraft's bare, adjective-soaked prose isn't so outlandish that it cannot be adapted competently.

Monkeyman1138
Sep 4, 2004

schwenz posted:

I'm not sure what it is about Maniac, but I'm deeply afraid to watch it. I know we always kick-around the idea of "mean" horror movies here, and there's something about the concept of Elijah Wood attacking and scalping women that just sets off all the wrong bells in my head. I haven't even watched any of the trailers.

If you are worried about the film itself being misogynistic, do not be. While it is about a misogynistic serial killer, the film itself is not. At no point do I feel is the film is intending to glorify the killings (impressively executed as the gore effects are), and Elijah Wood's character is in fact a slightly pathetic individual (albeit far more sympathetic than the killer in the original). In any case, it's hard to believe the same director gave us the bland hodgepodge that was P2.

juan the owl
Oct 26, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The reduction of Kane to those particular narrative elements carries the context that you're familiar with Kane, though. It's not drawing an equivalency, it's highlighting the fact that Lovecraft's bare, adjective-soaked prose isn't so outlandish that it cannot be adapted competently.

Putting it like that it makes a bit more sense to me, although I still think bringing up Citizen Kane at all is a bit bizarre. That said, doing a Lovecraft story CK-style with a reporter interviewing various folks who knew a scientist whose experiments went "too far" and who each give a part of what adds up to a creepy story would be a pretty cool idea. In fact I'm pretty sure there's a 19th century short story almost exactly like this about a ghost on a country road, but I can't quite remember it...

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

weekly font posted:

Tall Man was definitely not the movie I thought it was going to be. It was much, much better.

Can someone fill me in on why this is the case?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Twin Cinema posted:

Honestly if you don't go into it pretty blind it would detract from it quite a bit. I honestly had no idea what would happen at some parts, and was never upset by what did go down.

Really it reminded me of a really good episode of X-Files/Millenium.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

juan the owl posted:

I think a flaw in your reasoning here is that you seem to think that making a movie like A Woman Under the Influence is "not particularly difficult."
The reason Del Toro's At the Mountains of Madness isn't getting made is because the budget was US$150M, and the studio was worried about spending that much on an R rated film. That's more than twice the budget of the typical Hollywood film these days, and it's about fifteen times what, say, Killer Joe (2011) cost to make. My point is that if Hollywood really wanted to, it could make a lot more films like Killer Joe, and it isn't doing that not because the talent to do so isn't there, it's because it prefers to make films like Prometheus (2012) (at US$130M) or The Avengers (at US$220M) because that's where the audiences are.

juan the owl posted:

That's my point. Lovecraft's narrators are ciphers, but that doesn't mean you can't build a character drama around them, and I offer Citizen Kane as an example of character drama in which the central character is a cipher. And this isn't some wild analogy that you can kinda see if you squint at it; the fact that Kane is unknowable is the central narrative conceit. And it isn't just some obscure New Wave film or something, it's a film as firmly embedded in the film canon as any film is---Citizen Kane is pretty much the Citizen Kane of film.

I also think it's not entirely coincidental that Welles and Toland were obviously and profoundly influenced by the work of the German Expressionists, and the German Expressionists produced some of the most compelling films about psychological terror and dread ever made. But maybe that's a different argument.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Twin Cinema posted:

Yeah just go for it. The movie is not gory or violent in any way really. If you go in expecting a Slenderman kind of thing, well, you'll either be really disappointed or end up really enjoying it depending on how you feel about that meme, and not in the way you're guessing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SubG posted:

That's my point. Lovecraft's narrators are ciphers, but that doesn't mean you can't build a character drama around them, and I offer Citizen Kane as an example of character drama in which the central character is a cipher. And this isn't some wild analogy that you can kinda see if you squint at it; the fact that Kane is unknowable is the central narrative conceit. And it isn't just some obscure New Wave film or something, it's a film as firmly embedded in the film canon as any film is---Citizen Kane is pretty much the Citizen Kane of film.

I also think it's not entirely coincidental that Welles and Toland were obviously and profoundly influenced by the work of the German Expressionists, and the German Expressionists produced some of the most compelling films about psychological terror and dread ever made. But maybe that's a different argument.

I still think you're overstating how much of a cipher Charles Foster Kane is compared to a Lovecraft protagonist. Some closer comparisons to me would be the leads of movies like Vampyr (which, as I already mentioned, evokes the Lovecraftian protagonist the most), Barry Lyndon, Scanners, or Drive.

We've gone somewhat astray of the topic though so we'll probably just have to agree to disagree.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

priznat posted:

Honestly if you don't go into it pretty blind it would detract from it quite a bit. I honestly had no idea what would happen at some parts, and was never upset by what did go down.

Really it reminded me of a really good episode of X-Files/Millenium.

I'd say this is a fairly good way to look at it. I had been avoiding it, but gave it a shot after the comments here.

EDIT: Is Millennium as good as I remember it? I rewatched some X-Files and that most certainly didn't not stand the test of time.

Fake EDIT to my EDIT: What are some Nazi Occult flixs other than Blood Creek and Devi's Rock? Preferably not just Nazi zombies.

Dukket fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 20, 2013

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I still think you're overstating how much of a cipher Charles Foster Kane is compared to a Lovecraft protagonist. Some closer comparisons to me would be the leads of movies like Vampyr (which, as I already mentioned, evokes the Lovecraftian protagonist the most), Barry Lyndon, Scanners, or Drive.

We've gone somewhat astray of the topic though so we'll probably just have to agree to disagree.

Drive I think is different because it's actively interested in the lead's blankness, as is Scanners to a degree. Lovecraft never seemed to be exploring how his characters failed to resemble humans, he just didn't seem to mind (or notice?). I'm mulling over SubG's contention that this is supposed to serve as a vessel for inserting the audience, but I'm having trouble with because I'm not sure if I disagree just because it didn't work for me.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
I love when something as strange as comparing Citizen Kane to Lovecraft becomes a multi-page discussion.

Dukket posted:

Fake EDIT to my EDIT: What are some Nazi Occult flixs other than Blood Creek and Devi's Rock? Preferably not just Nazi zombies.

The Keep
Hanussen (sort of. Nazi psychic)
Invincible (not really, but...you know, Herzog)

and the Puppet Master movies, I guess.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Drive I think is different because it's actively interested in the lead's blankness, as is Scanners to a degree. Lovecraft never seemed to be exploring how his characters failed to resemble humans, he just didn't seem to mind (or notice?). I'm mulling over SubG's contention that this is supposed to serve as a vessel for inserting the audience, but I'm having trouble with because I'm not sure if I disagree just because it didn't work for me.

I think maybe Lovecraft's intention was for his protagonists to be audience-surrogates, but it doesn't really work reading them now since they all behave like total weirdos, not to mention all the racism. I would say this highlights the creepiness of his stories though, as not even the protagonist provides the reader a safe haven to escape from all this weirdness.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

schwenz posted:

The Keep

I've heard F. Paul Wilson say this movie is absolute garbage, but I'm reading the book now and it's fantastic. Is it still worth checking out or just a waste of time?

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Boinks posted:

I've heard F. Paul Wilson say this movie is absolute garbage, but I'm reading the book now and it's fantastic. Is it still worth checking out or just a waste of time?

If you're reading the book check it out afterward.
It's main problem is it can be difficult to follow at times, but you won't have that problem.

It's not a great movie, but it has some great moments.

Apparently Michael Mann's original cut was 3 1/2 hours long. I'd like to see that.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Boinks posted:

It's not garbage at all. It falls apart in the climax, but there's incredible atmosphere and imagery.

juan the owl
Oct 26, 2007

The first 30-45 minutes of The Keep are cool as hell, but after that I started to lose interest, and by the time I got to what I remember as being a laughably cliche love scene I had mentally checked out. The tone is so constantly heightened that it's about half a beer away from being laughable the whole way through (which doesn't mean it's not enjoyable).

Plus the Tangerine Dream soundtrack is one of their best, just the right combination of mood and cheese.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I still think you're overstating how much of a cipher Charles Foster Kane is compared to a Lovecraft protagonist.

I agree, but thinking more about SubG's post I realized that there is definitely a Lovecrafty cipher character in Citizen Kane: the reporter. When you consider it that way, Citizen Kane is extremely similar (in form, anyway) to something like The Call of Cthulhu, where you have a characterless narrator/audience stand-in investigating different accounts of strange events.

I still think this whole Citizen Cthulhu idea is a bit of a stretch, but it's not 100% off the mark.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

juan the owl posted:

I agree, but thinking more about SubG's post I realized that there is definitely a Lovecrafty cipher character in Citizen Kane: the reporter. When you consider it that way, Citizen Kane is extremely similar (in form, anyway) to something like The Call of Cthulhu, where you have a characterless narrator/audience stand-in investigating different accounts of strange events.

I still think this whole Citizen Cthulhu idea is a bit of a stretch, but it's not 100% off the mark.

Huh, now I'm starting to pick up what you're puttin down. Interesting.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

juan the owl posted:

...there is definitely a Lovecrafty cipher character in Citizen Kane: the reporter. When you consider it that way, Citizen Kane is extremely similar (in form, anyway) to something like The Call of Cthulhu, where you have a characterless narrator/audience stand-in investigating different accounts of strange events.

The Strange Case of Charles Foster Kane.

Man, I would watch/read the gently caress out of that. Definitely Lovecraftian.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

It's getting very hard to resist diving into all the Evil Dead spoilers that are surfacing.

Must. Go. In. Clean.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

juan the owl posted:

The first 30-45 minutes of The Keep are cool as hell, but after that I started to lose interest, and by the time I got to what I remember as being a laughably cliche love scene I had mentally checked out. The tone is so constantly heightened that it's about half a beer away from being laughable the whole way through (which doesn't mean it's not enjoyable).

Plus the Tangerine Dream soundtrack is one of their best, just the right combination of mood and cheese.

The reporter in Kane is way more Charles Marlow/Nick Carraway than Lovecraft journalist/professor protag, but maybe that's an interesting comparison to consider.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

schwenz posted:

It's getting very hard to resist diving into all the Evil Dead spoilers that are surfacing.

Must. Go. In. Clean.

I've got tickets to see a free advanced screening of it on Thursday night and I've read no spoilers. I only know that IGN gave it a 9/10.

I've also only ever seen the first one once, never seen the second one and I've only seen bits and pieces of Army of Darkness. I'm not a true horror fan, am I? :ohdear:

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I've got tickets to see a free advanced screening of it on Thursday night

I give great handjobs.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

I've got tickets to see a free advanced screening of it on Thursday night and I've read no spoilers. I only know that IGN gave it a 9/10.

I've also only ever seen the first one once, never seen the second one and I've only seen bits and pieces of Army of Darkness. I'm not a true horror fan, am I? :ohdear:

I feel like Sam Raimi has a style so unique that its almost its own sub-genre of horror. So yea, youre missing out on a whole genre of (4)great movies! But seriously, Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness are two of the best "horror" movies ever, its a shame you only watched the weakest of the three, although I'm sure that is a whole other debate.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like Sam Raimi has a style so unique that its almost its own sub-genre of horror. So yea, youre missing out on a whole genre of (4)great movies! But seriously, Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness are two of the best "horror" movies ever, its a shame you only watched the weakest of the three, although I'm sure that is a whole other debate.

Don't watch Evil Dead 2 before seeing the remake though.
You may be the last person alive that can view ED2 from that unique perspective.

I'm dying to see which you prefer seeing them in that order.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've seen all the Spider-Man movies, Drag Me To Hell and Oz The Great And Powerful, so I feel like I'm familiar with his style and really dig it. But yeah, I'll have to watch 2 and Army of Darkness. I probably won't have time tonight so I'll have to do that after I see the remake. That's gonna be a weird chronology.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I've seen For Love of the Game so I feel like I've seen Evil Dead 2.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I've seen all the Spider-Man movies, Drag Me To Hell and Oz The Great And Powerful, so I feel like I'm familiar with his style and really dig it. But yeah, I'll have to watch 2 and Army of Darkness. I probably won't have time tonight so I'll have to do that after I see the remake. That's gonna be a weird chronology.

DMtH and Spider-Man 3 are the closest touchstones for Evil Dead 2 and Army, but they're even more openly comedic and campy. Also watch Darkman sometime, it owns.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
It appears the keep is on YouTube entirely. I'm gonna check it out later as it sounds ridiculous enough to enjoy.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

schwenz posted:

Don't watch Evil Dead 2 before seeing the remake though.
You may be the last person alive that can view ED2 from that unique perspective.

I'm dying to see which you prefer seeing them in that order.

Actually now there's a fresh crop of 16-24 year olds who have no idea Evil Dead is a remake, and don't know who Bruce Cambell is.

Like, the vast majority of them.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Twee as gently caress posted:

Actually now there's a fresh crop of 16-24 year olds who have no idea Evil Dead is a remake, and don't know who Bruce Cambell is.

Like, the vast majority of them.

Bruce Campbell replied to a tweet of mine once.

Not that any of my friends would know who he is :negative:

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Coffee And Pie posted:

Bruce Campbell replied to a tweet of mine once.

Not that any of my friends would know who he is :negative:

You might be the bad friend there for not introducing them to the wonders of the Chin, here :colbert:

If you don't have it, you need it. If you have it, you need more of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af1OxkFOK18

Maybe they just needed to be serenaded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg6bZSM48vU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Man anyone in this thread who hasn't seen Evil Dead II needs to get the hell out and go to their nearest video dispensary like yesterday.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
Ah I forgot about The Keep. I assumed there would be more than those three - seems ripe for stories.

Thanks

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Dukket posted:

Ah I forgot about The Keep. I assumed there would be more than those three - seems ripe for stories.

Thanks

Is the movie only supposed to be 45 minutes? I didn't notice at first but it cuts off pretty abruptly on youtube. Seems like a tough movie to get ahold of as well since reportedly the director disowned it and its re-release.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

No, it's normal movie length, and hour and a half or so. I think I've heard there was another much longer cut, but I have no idea if that was ever available.

Also I think it's on Amazon streaming.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Are there any other horror sequels that completely outshine the original movie to the extent Evil Dead 2 does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

Are there any other horror sequels that completely outshine the original movie to the extent Evil Dead 2 does?

Friday the 13th part II, definitely. Dawn of the Dead, arguably.