Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Shifty Pony posted:

I think that the "small limes 5 for $1" were mislabeled at the store.

I got in excess of 1/4 cup from one.

What you have there is a catte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Since when does Calvo give you feeling orders?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Since someone decided we needed to be like "evangelicals lite" as far as marriage preparation. I want chanting and cassocked priests, not fuzzy kum ba yah garbage.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The Midniter posted:

You yourself went through one (in which case congrats!) or you attended one? What made it "something"? Strippers? Hookers? Strippers who hook on the side?

Not me. A friend knocked up a pastor's daughter and well, yeah. I think I was the only dude outside of the bride's father there wearing sleeves. Also the only dude not wearing a hat.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bertrand Hustle posted:

And it might not be lime juice you got from it. :eek:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

a bunch of get in touch with your feelings nonsense the diocese makes us go though.
Show me on this cigar where the bad priest touched you.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

a bunch of get in touch with your feelings nonsense the diocese makes us go though.

You know, back home we have a saying that goes, "Don't try to teach your daddy how to gently caress." In other words what I'm trying to say is that middle-aged virgins might not be the best people always to decide what a marrying couple's supposed to do.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The one priest who's there, I know him - we've worked together on other things before, he's a phenomenal guy. If he were running the show, it'd be cool. But unfortunately, he's just doing backup for this boomer couple who are in charge of the whole thing.

Oh well. It's lent, so there's some sort of patience lesson in all of this I'm sure.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bertrand Hustle posted:

That explains so much! I didn't juice that one because I thought it had gone moldy and furry.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Since someone decided we needed to be like "evangelicals lite" as far as marriage preparation. I want chanting and cassocked priests, not fuzzy kum ba yah garbage.

How about chanting, homebrewed mead and rabbit stew? And planting a big ol community garden? (this rabbit stew smells amazing)

In all seriousness, when did the church suddenly decide everyone had to go through that counseling stuff before they get married or they don't want to recognize the marriage or some such thing (correct me on that if I'm wrong please, I get mixed answers about that part)? My folks got married by a catholic priest in the 70's and they never did any of that, which has me wondering if like, it was just that priest or if they suddenly got super conservative about it or what.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

How about chanting, homebrewed mead and rabbit stew? And planting a big ol community garden? (this rabbit stew smells amazing)

Did you marry a jarl?

Mechanical mandible
Aug 4, 2007

Lyssavirus posted:

YAY DINO'S BOOK CAME YAY IT'S FANTASTIC AND PRETTY YAY.
Yeah, this. The recipes look awesome after a quick flipping through, while the few basic meals I've made have turned out great. It's especially helpful since nearly all vegetarian/vegan meals I saw before were either tofu or vegeburgers :barf:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Wifi at the 72nd street 1 is awesome.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Casu Marzu posted:

Not me. A friend knocked up a pastor's daughter and well, yeah. I think I was the only dude outside of the bride's father there wearing sleeves. Also the only dude not wearing a hat.

Ahaha, apart from the pastor's daughter, this sounds just like my step brother's wedding. People were wearing fuckin' jorts and the bridesmaids were all in hot pink dresses with clear plastic shoes. Rednecks know no borders.

(they got divorced less than a year later)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Casu Marzu posted:

I was at a wedding a bit like this over the summer. My friend's neighbors had it in thier back yard. The families insisted on having their dogs in the wedding (the dogs were wearing football uniforms) and wouldn't stop barking. They left the rings in a car, and the best man went to get them. He only brought back one so he had to run off to get the other too. Later the bride got way too drunk and fell asleep in the house with the gas stove on and unlit. Two dudes I know went in to check on her and found her in there, one of them told her the firemen were there to save her so she immediately flashed them. They also attempted to roast a whole pig but they got too drunk for that too and ended up just burning the outside while the inside was still raw.

Probably the only wedding I'll ever go to where I could drink malt liquor during the ceremonies. I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt from the night before and was still better dressed than half the people there.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Our wedding is going to be classy, but not fancy. Formal mass and all that with chanting and incense, but I'm hoping that the reception ends up with lots of gogol bordello influence, including the vodka and pickled herring.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But will you have enough supplies to last three days, Wiggles? Love that song :3:

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
For those of you who are lurking and still learning (like me) or who learned to cook from "Good Eats" episodes, Alton Brown will be starting up a podcast about cooking soon.

Other than the odd name he chose (The Browncast), it should be worth a shot. Most podcasts are free, and I'd imagine Alton's would be too. You can find podcasts directly in iTunes, or in the case of this podcast you will be able to find it online here.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Looking forward to the Brown iTunes

:rimshot:

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 18, 2013

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
mmmmmmmm

I think over the years of cooking corned beef, my favorite part about the dish has become the horseradish sauce/salty beef combo

poo poo is so good

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.
I totally missed the cutoff for making corned beef this year. On the plus side, I got my own place a couple of weeks ago and gained a huge stretch of counter space! Little Walk Away and I made challah bread together today and I got to teach her about measuring cups and spoons, as well as yeast farts. :3:

I think that our next project will be pancetta. Those have to be hung up for a while, correct?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
dino : I'm really sorry if I've asked you this before, my short term memory is horrible. do you have any opinions/experience re: india during monsoon season? me and my girl were gonna go around August 1 for a pre-wedding honeymoon/general vacation, probably to like goa and around rajasthan - but we are sort of getting cold feet re: monsoon time. I don't think either of us mind rain that much, and places being cheaper is a nice touch, but we also both are dreadfully in love with the idea (and food) of india, and wouldn't want to spend like 5k on our very first trip if we could just wait until a non-monsoon time and have a massively better experience. :I decisions decisions.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Maybe this is the wrong place to ask this but I ran into something that confused me tonight. I cooked some Pacific Dover Sole (which I understand is really just some kind of flounder) today and it was basically goo, even after being cooked. In fact, it seemed to get more soft as it cooked. I seared it in the pan for way longer than was necessary and I was expecting it to start firming up but it never did. Did I just eat some disturbing infected fish or is that just how this kind of fish behaves and I am an idiot for not expecting that?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Glottis posted:

it was basically goo, even after being cooked. In fact, it seemed to get more soft as it cooked. I seared it in the pan for way longer than was necessary and I was expecting it to start firming up but it never did.

When you overcook beef, it turns into a chew toy for dogs. When you overcook poultry, it dries out and is awful. When you overcook fish, it turns into whitish slime. You cooked that fish for way too long. It's loving disgusting and I bet you won't do it again.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

When you overcook beef, it turns into a chew toy for dogs. When you overcook poultry, it dries out and is awful. When you overcook fish, it turns into whitish slime.
Interestingly, this also works as a top to bottom description of pr0k's Mom.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

mindphlux posted:

dino : I'm really sorry if I've asked you this before, my short term memory is horrible. do you have any opinions/experience re: india during monsoon season? me and my girl were gonna go around August 1 for a pre-wedding honeymoon/general vacation, probably to like goa and around rajasthan - but we are sort of getting cold feet re: monsoon time. I don't think either of us mind rain that much, and places being cheaper is a nice touch, but we also both are dreadfully in love with the idea (and food) of india, and wouldn't want to spend like 5k on our very first trip if we could just wait until a non-monsoon time and have a massively better experience. :I decisions decisions.

I've been in India around those months for sure. Unfortunately for the question, the furthest north I've ever been while still being old enough to remember was in Bangalore, which is still fairly far south. Those two places you mentioned are in the far north, whose seasons I have no experience with.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Bertrand Hustle posted:

When you overcook beef, it turns into a chew toy for dogs. When you overcook poultry, it dries out and is awful. When you overcook fish, it turns into whitish slime. You cooked that fish for way too long. It's loving disgusting and I bet you won't do it again.

I feel like when I've overcooked fish in the past it's gotten tough and dry, though. Yes it was disgusting.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Glottis posted:

I feel like when I've overcooked fish in the past it's gotten tough and dry, though. Yes it was disgusting.

I don't know, I overcooked salmon once and it turned into grey paste, so I looked up how to not overcook fish.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Its 2pm on my day off what do I make? Im definitely going to store(s) and farmers market so I can get whatever. Only restriction is not trying to do a long term project or id be corning a beef

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

new whiskey bar and restaurant just opened here. They have a dress code:

best dress code. ever.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

A proper establishment.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Iiii... don't get it?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Sjurygg posted:

Iiii... don't get it?

Google image search:

Affliction clothing

then

Tapout shirt

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Oh I thought it meant if you aren't sick (no affliction) you can't stop drinking (no tap out). But that's more of a code of conduct than a dress code.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Eeyo posted:

Oh I thought it meant if you aren't sick (no affliction) you can't stop drinking (no tap out). But that's more of a code of conduct than a dress code.

No, I live in the Inland Empire, bro capital of the world. :gonk:

I'm surprised they left out Ed Hardy and NOTW, too.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Eeyo posted:

I did too, which I think only makes it better. Can't go wrong with that sign at a bar, no matter what.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Do you ever have that one spot you go to and it feels like home away from home? I've hit up a lot of coffeeshops, but none of them feel right to me except my coffeeshop in Green Bay. I miss that place when I'm not there.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
I had a place like that in Paris...

A small cafe/bar off montmatre - they knew my name, they started carrying in extra beer when I arrived in the evening, they knew my taste in music, and we had good long talks about politics, immigration and life in general.

This was achieved over a week of deeply concentrated drinking together with friends where this bar was the omphalos for our peregrinage into the bottle, while smoking too strong french cigarettes, speaking to heavily perfumed women and strengthening our belief in humanity.

A year later I still got random postcards from a random girl, of whom I recollect little to nothing.

It was a halcyon time.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

GrAviTy84 posted:

new whiskey bar and restaurant just opened here. They have a dress code:

best dress code. ever.
I would go to this bar exclusively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Casu Marzu posted:

Do you ever have that one spot you go to and it feels like home away from home? I've hit up a lot of coffeeshops, but none of them feel right to me except my coffeeshop in Green Bay. I miss that place when I'm not there.

Man, I know exactly what you're talking about. At least I moved back to my old college town and have my old haunts, but I definitely miss that place. I even offer to cover shifts when I go visit my in laws up there, haha.