Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

At least a dozen that I saw are potentially fatal. Surprised on some that the rider popped right up though. Adrenaline is a hell of a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That's been posted a few times, goon invision is in there somewhere too. I only remember a few that I thought were fatalities for sure though. There was one where a dude goes right into the back of a truck with hard pipes on it and the body sticks to the truck and doesn't drop down before the car passes...that dude ded.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Saw at least one obvious gory dismemberment about a quarter of the way through. Head-on with no gear. Lots of donging around, I'd say more than half of the accidents were easy to avoid by the bikers not assuming that cars were going to turn left when they're on the wrong side of the road.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Finished the entire video.

Front wheel washouts scare me. Everything else I can see a cause and effect but washouts just seem like poo poo. Is there a cause or preventative measure for taking a turn and in the next second not being on your rear end?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

If you're looking into the turn like you should, it's kind of difficult to gauge a drop in motion due to perspective shift. They usually happen so quick that you don't have time to react.

Luckily lowsides are the easy ones. Good crush-resistant boots should keep you (reasonably) safe.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Had a moment today that was kind of scary. I was on my way to work on a 2 lane road. There was a line of maybe 5 cars in each lane. I was just behind the door panel of a big white Dodge Ram and I thought, "I'll bet he can't see me!" I was watching him pretty closely and like clockwork on comes the blinker and over comes the dodge. I just tapped the breaks a bit and dropped behind him before giving him a horn blast. He did the little "Oops! I'm sorry I almost killed you." wave.

If you think a vehicle might merge into you, it will!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That's a good reminder to avoid hanging around in blind spots.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Almost got hit yesterday!
Me: Riding around 30, down a small hill and on a wet road.
Him: A truck driving slowly in the opposite lane. I was keeping a bit more attention on him as he approached; he seemed to be either lost or inattentive.
Out of nowhere, he turned left in front of me, only to realize I was coming right at him, and he stopped in my lane.
I have a tendency to hit the brakes too hard and skid the rear wheel (downhill and wet roads obviously make it worse), so I try to keep an eye out for an escape path rather than try and stop. Luckily for me, there was no one behind him, and I was able to swerve around him. Actually passed pretty close to him. Scary poo poo.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Everyone should have a helmet cam Russia-style to send videos and plate numbers to law enforcement to punish people for (life-threatening) stupidity.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
The last two pages of this thread have me gun shy to get on my bike. :smith:

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Nothing to worry about. You're not in Russia and you don't blab like an idiot when you're riding because you wanna be cool to your youtube public.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Stugazi posted:

Finished the entire video.

Front wheel washouts scare me. Everything else I can see a cause and effect but washouts just seem like poo poo. Is there a cause or preventative measure for taking a turn and in the next second not being on your rear end?

Boring advice: don't ride faster than you can see and react.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

Boring advice: don't ride faster than you can see and react.

After hearing the story of a guy splattering into the back of a truck after going way too fast over a crest, I always ride by those exact words.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Stugazi posted:

The last two pages of this thread have me gun shy to get on my bike. :smith:

Just remember, the sun doesn't take no prisoners.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Had a pretty intense pucker just now - filtering up the outside of a line of traffic waiting to turn right, the lights change at just the wrong time, with me 3 or 4 cars back. I was just about to gun it to shoot to the front of the queue and cut across when I noticed that the entire junction was covered in gravel (there's a cement plant right next to the junction and they're *always* dumping poo poo over it) so backed off and kept saying to myself "no front brake, no front brake, no front brake" as I looked for a gap between the cars - bastard next to me guns it to stop me getting in front of him, so I go into the junction with literally no escape route and no grip at all.

As I turned in the back and front let go at the same time, I somehow managed to get opposite lock and power on and ended up drifting six or so feet before the back hooked up and fired me down the street I was turning into, through the rapidly closing gap between the car in front and the kerb, then round the front of him and away wondering exactly how I was still alive.

Remember kids, slowing down and backing off is always an option and maybe should be the first one you think of, it's not like you'll not be able to get past that traffic at the next set of lights.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I had my first close one in a while today. I was flying up a back road at 110, popping a wheelie and flipping off any cops that happened to be in a southerly direction while N.W.A. blasted in my headphones. Suddenly a left turn came outta fuckin' nowhere! There was no way I was gonna make it but I thought "gently caress that turn, can't tell me what to do" and nailed the front brakes to pull the biggest stoppie known to man. It wasn't gonna be enough so I sat the rear wheel down then locked 'er up as I clutched in and slammed it down three gears. I thought I might have to lay 'er down but I dumped the clutch, spun up the rear at full opposite lock and drifted that poo poo thru the turn. I turned that drift right back into a wheelie and I was outta there. There was a farmer standing there with his jaw dropped but I just brushed that poo poo off and got back up to triple digits directly.

All in all a valuable lesson learned: FTP.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

nsaP posted:

I had my first close one in a while today. I was flying up a back road at 110, popping a wheelie and flipping off any cops that happened to be in a southerly direction while N.W.A. blasted in my headphones. Suddenly a left turn came outta fuckin' nowhere! There was no way I was gonna make it but I thought "gently caress that turn, can't tell me what to do" and nailed the front brakes to pull the biggest stoppie known to man. It wasn't gonna be enough so I sat the rear wheel down then locked 'er up as I clutched in and slammed it down three gears. I thought I might have to lay 'er down but I dumped the clutch, spun up the rear at full opposite lock and drifted that poo poo thru the turn. I turned that drift right back into a wheelie and I was outta there. There was a farmer standing there with his jaw dropped but I just brushed that poo poo off and got back up to triple digits directly.

All in all a valuable lesson learned: FTP.

:clint:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You didn't even screw the farmer's daughter on your way around the curve? Pansy.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Whoops, I forgot to come back and post what really happened.

I did have my first butt pucker moment in a while and I only got out of it cause I was lucky as hell.

Situation: I had just finished a section of road I know blindfolded and went onto a new section of that road for the first time. Like a moron I was still riding like I knew the road despite it being unfamiliar. I also ignored a warning that it was a tight turn ahead. My helmet was bugging me so I was using my left hand to adjust it when I saw a left turn arrow coming up.

There had been a few of these earlier but they were all on easy turns, so I didn't pay this one the heed I needed to. I was still messing with my helmet here.

About here I start to realize that the turn is tighter than I thought and I grab the bars and hit the brakes, but in my mind this is going to be iffy cause I was too quick and off the right line. I was braking hard and just trying to time when to let off and tip in when my view changed.

And a glorious run off road appeared. As soon as I saw empty road to the side I just let off the brakes and went straight. Very lucky too, I'm still not sure I would have been able to make the turn. The google images are hard to tell but the road goes off camber a lot after the apex of the turn, and the pavement was crap. You can see by the guard rail in the pics that someone else had trouble there too, it wasn't that screwed up when I went by.

I had my attention off the road, I ignored warnings and I was riding in the wrong mindset for my knowledge of the road. It was a perfect storm of stupidity and I got 100% bailed out by that street.

Thank you Straight Shoot Road http://goo.gl/maps/MkP2e

nsaP fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 24, 2013

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Went out yesterday on the all back together max for some first of the year dong riding. Opened the throttle from a stop over a high speed limit road and was met with a serious wobble. Not quite a full on tank slapper but close enough to need a change of underwear.

I babied the bike back home and set upon finding out what had just happened, and quickly found my front tire was almost 20(!) psi low with a total of 15 psi. I thought it was handling worse than normal, but wrote it off to me being a bit rusty. Do not skip the tire pressure check of your Spring warm-up routine.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Halo: TCLOCKS. Tires, Chain, Levers, Oil, Change of pants, kickstand, sausage. I can never remember that acronym.

Nsap: that scenario is good enough to be one of those flash lessons in the MSF where you get a split second to evaluate the road, hazards and outs. Glad you had the out.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
This has been a rough couple of weeks but I'm still shiny side up.

Rolling down I15 in San Diego I look over my shoulder, signal and start my lane change when a Hayabusa comes out of nowhere and weaves around me at ~90mph. He almost took me and him out in one very stupid move. He must have been directly behind me, over my other shoulder or moving really fast because I never saw him during my lane check. I was most definitely not donging it up as I was more concerned about making my exit and morning traffic was too thick.

I involuntarily said out loud "WHAT THE gently caress DUDE" as he zipped around me in my mid lane change.

I get looking out for cars but other bikers shouldn't be a major concern. I think we were 3 feet apart as he passed me and he just rolled on without a glance or hand signal.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Stugazi posted:

This has been a rough couple of weeks but I'm still shiny side up.

Rolling down I15 in San Diego I look over my shoulder, signal and start my lane change when a Hayabusa comes out of nowhere and weaves around me at ~90mph. He almost took me and him out in one very stupid move. He must have been directly behind me, over my other shoulder or moving really fast because I never saw him during my lane check. I was most definitely not donging it up as I was more concerned about making my exit and morning traffic was too thick.

I involuntarily said out loud "WHAT THE gently caress DUDE" as he zipped around me in my mid lane change.

I get looking out for cars but other bikers shouldn't be a major concern. I think we were 3 feet apart as he passed me and he just rolled on without a glance or hand signal.

Heh, you wish you could be as fast as me and my 'Busa~~*

deliverator
Aug 8, 2000
you know i'm your Hiro
Wrestling my bikes around to get them pointed in the same direction, I got sun in my eyes, which caused me to drop my goddamn bike, which then knocked over my other bike!

It would have been comical if it happened to someone else.

gently caress

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Sounds like you need to learn the kickstand swivel maneuver.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I don't trust my kickstand on my 500 pound bike enough to do the swivel maneuver. :tinfoil:

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Harley tries to catch up to sport bike (I think). Harley enters corner waaaay too fast, makes a fair effort at leaning the bike into the corner, but leans his body in the other direction. Inevitably floorboards drag. Harley rider panics, stands the bike bolt upright, and proceeds to lock the rear tire under panic breaking mid corner. He somehow saves it but is now sitting, both feet on the ground, in the oncoming traffic lane, in the middle of a blind corner. Pickup truck comes around corner and barley manages to avoid hitting the parked Harley. By swerving into my loving lane. Luckily I had already slowed down once I saw things start to go south with the Harley and was able to duck to the inside of the corner to avoid the truck.

Things he learned:
-Don't try to keep up with someone riding faster than you're comfortable with.
-Lean WITH the bike, not against it.
-Your front bake is a great way to stop your motorcycle.
-If you stomp on your rear brake it WILL lock up.
-Don't stop in the road in the middle of a corner.

Things I re-learned:
-If the guy ahead of you starts having issues, back off or they're likely to become your issues as well.
-Always leave yourself room for error, be it your error or someone else.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

KodiakRS posted:

Things he learned:
-Don't try to keep up with someone riding faster than you're comfortable with.
-Lean WITH the bike, not against it.
-Your front bake is a great way to stop your motorcycle.
-If you stomp on your rear brake it WILL lock up.
-Don't stop in the road in the middle of a corner.

Are you sure he actually learned anything from this? Someone who counter leans under hard cornering doesn't strike me as the type that'll know what he did wrong.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Had my first stupid idiot newbie riding mistake today, didn't slow down enough before a turn and ran wide:

Thankfully, that side road is usually empty and there wasn't a car waiting at the stop sign. I got really lucky and, well, once bitten twice shy. The good thing is, when I realised my mistake, I didn't panic and grab a handful of brake or anything. I straightened out and did a proper emergency stop in front of the parked car. I knew I'd probably be kinda shaky so I cut the trip short and went back home. The ride back was still crappy, though. Didn't realize I stopped in second and stalled while taking off, rode like a grandma, etc. Next time if I make a mistake I'll give myself a longer time to cool off. That was a really stupid mistake to make, though.

M42 fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 8, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nuh uh, if I remember correctly you dumped the bike at a stoplight a couple of days after buying it. This is your second stupid idiot newbie riding mistake. :eng101:

But yep, I did the exact same thing a couple of times when I started riding. Nearly killed myself on one particular road where the WAS a car in the opposite lane, which I posted about back in the thread somewhere. Remember, especially as a newbie, in average riding you are usually nowhere near the traction limit of your tires and the thing to do when you've come in a little hot is just push harder. (The best thing to do of course is not to come in too hot, but it happens sometimes).

Glad you're okay. Get back on the saddle soon and push through the nerves -- that's the only way to get your confidence back.

e: here's where I lost it. I was coming in from the right, took the sweeping turn to the north, and went wide as the road doubles back. The turn is blind, downhill and decreases in radius -- check out the street view. I've ridden it a few times since and it still scares me, even knowing exactly what is about to happen. http://goo.gl/maps/kWHeU

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 8, 2013

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Actually the other one was me rolling/coasting like an idiot to turn around on a narrow street and keeling over, so not technically a riding mistake.

(:ssh: I forgot about that one, so you're right. It's my second mistake.)

^^^ Haha, I know that turn! I live like a mile west, if you panned over to the left you'd come across the corner I made the mistake on.

M42 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 8, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
You're target fixating. Force yourself to look where you want to go. The bike will go there like magic.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Good work on not going down, but as the others have said, you probably head heaps of grip left and would have been better off looking where you wanted to go and pushing the bike into the corner more. Look and commit! Next time you might not get so lucky and there will be a car at the stop sign.

Pretty much unless you're scraping hard parts your bike has more room to lean, keep that in mind.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I chicken out on leaning hard because I'm riding on the original lovely stock tires from 2003, and they're beginning to show signs of dry rot in the bottom of the tread. I bought new ones last night and I should have them on by the end of the month, and then I'll be all up in that leaning business :c00lbert:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You should probably have them on sooner than that, if you're going to ride in the next few weeks...10 year old tires with a bunch of miles on them are definitely Not A Safe Thing.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Snowdens Secret posted:

You're target fixating. Force yourself to look where you want to go. The bike will go there like magic.

I don't even understand how this works, and when I took the BRC I thought it was crazy talk, but it's true. The bike just goes wherever you're looking.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Strife posted:

I don't even understand how this works, and when I took the BRC I thought it was crazy talk, but it's true. The bike just goes wherever you're looking.

Your subconscious influences your muscle response and coordination more than you think it does. This is true for cars, and even more so for bikes simply due to their rapid ability to shift direction. Your conscious brain can't act faster than your reptile brain.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

You should probably have them on sooner than that, if you're going to ride in the next few weeks...10 year old tires with a bunch of miles on them are definitely Not A Safe Thing.

Seconding this, if you're on lovely old tires I'd really avoid pushing lean angles, they're probably more like lumps of rock now. What's with the huge gap between ordering them and fitting?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

My parents are visiting for a while and they are petrified by the motorcycle thing, so I'm not going to ride it while they're around. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

M42 posted:

My parents are visiting for a while and they are petrified by the motorcycle thing, so I'm not going to ride it while they're around. :v:

The best thing to do is to wheelie around everywhere until that's the "new normal", then just riding on two wheels will seem like a reasonable compromise.

(I've got the same problem. My parents don't know about my three most recent bikes, nor the fact that I'm getting my brother into the hobby.)

• Locked thread