Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...

Jamesman posted:

I find it amusing they cast a wrestler as Drax, since these threads usually devolve into arguments about fan-casting wrestlers in such roles and how dumb people are for even thinking such things.

To be fair, casting Batista as Drax is significantly less stupid than casting Triple H as Thor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Baron von Eevl posted:

I bet if they made a character named The Mandarin actually Chinese and had him be a supervillain, China would actually blacklist all of Marvel/Disney's movies for the year.

That would involve the Herculean task of actually casting a Chinese actor.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GlassEye-Boy posted:

They could just hire Jim Sturgess again. :v:

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Or Nicholas Cage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZad00qYMbQ

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Jackie Chan, with a climax fight involving him and non-suited RDJ engaging in crazy prop stunts and physical comedy.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Electromax posted:

Jackie Chan, with a climax fight involving him and non-suited RDJ engaging in crazy prop stunts and physical comedy.

I get what you mean, but I'd totally watch this. The mental image of Jackie Chan and RDJ just playing off each other and being silly/themselves is making me smile.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I finally got around to seeing The Avengers and enjoyed it a lot more than the films leading up to it that I saw. (The original Iron Man was the only I honestly enjoyed all the way through). I might have to try watching Iron Man 2 again, since the trailer for 3 looks pretty entertaining.

While watching the movie, I couldn't help but day dream about the possibility of a Justice League movie. I feel like Warner Brothers would be much better off starting with Batman/Superman movie. It would keep the story tighter, and reduce the likelihood of seeming like an Avengers retread.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

DFu4ever posted:

Momoa was a better Conan, just not a better Arnold Conan, which isn't like Conan at all really.

Is the Solomon Kane movie a faithful adaptation of the books? If so, with having seen only the first quarter of the new Conan movie before I turned it off I'd be tempted to say faithful Robert E. Howard adaptations just don't make for good movies.

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

Neither Conan film is really faithful to Howard's stories. Conan doesn't have some kind of special destiny or hero's journey, and Howard basically used him as a vehicle for writing whatever he felt like, since Conan stories always sold and his others sometimes didn't. The first Conan story was rewritten from a Kull story that didn't sell, and there's Conan stories with not-Indians and Elizabethan pirates with bows and arrows. The new one has more references to places from the stories thrown in but that's about it.

Conan-as-written probably wouldn't translate well, but the Milius/Schwarzenegger version is a lot closer to Howard's ethos and general feel, even if it doesn't really represent Conan in the stories at all.

It seems like it's really hard to make a sword-and-sandals epic that doesn't feel like an extended episode of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Grendels Dad posted:

Is the Solomon Kane movie a faithful adaptation of the books? If so, with having seen only the first quarter of the new Conan movie before I turned it off I'd be tempted to say faithful Robert E. Howard adaptations just don't make for good movies.

Solomon Kane isn't faithful either since in the original series the character, like Howards Conan, doesn't have a grand destiny or whatever and is a wanderer who's just extremely skilled at loving up dudes (and bird-men & vampires, etc.). The movie is cheesy and not the worst dark fantasy action movie out there but that's a pretty low bar to set in a world where Season of the Witch actually got filmed.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

The Ant-Man test footage leaked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLuPihHkPt0

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

That actually looks fantastic and, dare I say on a different level than the Marvel stuff we've seen so far.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That actually looks fantastic and, dare I say on a different level than the Marvel stuff we've seen so far.

It looks like it'd fit right in with the Marvel stuff we've seen so far.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It has the mandated mixture of humor and action requisite to these films but what I'm saying is that the way it's shot doesn't put me to sleep.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Bob Quixote posted:

Solomon Kane isn't faithful either since in the original series the character, like Howards Conan, doesn't have a grand destiny or whatever and is a wanderer who's just extremely skilled at loving up dudes (and bird-men & vampires, etc.). The movie is cheesy and not the worst dark fantasy action movie out there but that's a pretty low bar to set in a world where Season of the Witch actually got filmed.
Man its sad Season of the Witch was bad since you'd think a movie with Ron Perlman and Nic Cage as knights would be awesome.

Snowman95
Nov 25, 2004

futureproof posted:

New Kick-rear end 2 trailer. It's redband, so possibly :nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4-6SgBfTOw DOWN!

NEW MIRROR https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJFGh8QG1SA

Kickass looking jacked! Movie looks ... kickass!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

And gone.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

It has the mandated mixture of humor and action requisite to these films but what I'm saying is that the way it's shot doesn't put me to sleep.

Yeah I agree. It's kinetic and fun and the tiny dude shots are well done and I like the part where he punches the dude.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

achillesforever6 posted:

Man its sad Season of the Witch was bad since you'd think a movie with Ron Perlman and Nic Cage as knights would be awesome.

Yeah, I had a lot of hope for it - at the very least it could have been a great riff-fest like The Wicker Man but it was disappointingly dull.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Skwirl posted:

And gone.
For anyone who missed it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah that looks pretty amazing. I wouldn't have ever thought that Ant-Man could make for unique action sequences, but the way they did it is actually perfect.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

I'd watch this. I'd watch the HELL out of this.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

scary ghost dog posted:

Yeah I agree. It's kinetic and fun and the tiny dude shots are well done and I like the part where he punches the dude.

The thing I like about it is that it seems to use what's basically trick photography to convey the rapidly changing scale. It could've easily been done with a long, boring tracking shot with effects at the forefront but the editing tells the story. It's a teaser that actually teased me, I want to see what Wright is willing to do with this movie. It's the first time I've seen something in one of these Marvel movies where I've thought, "oh that's pretty neat," which is kinda the point, right?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The design of the Ant-Man costume and the general theme of beating up what are presumably SHIELD agents leads me to believe this movie may lift from the excellent The Irredeemable Ant Man series, the one really good thing Robert Kirkman ever wrote.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's the only good thing Kirkman ever wrote because they made him stop.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

That looks awesome, a shame that Avengers 2 will probably be out before this, so Ant-Man might miss the bus for that film.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's down, somebody find another source please!

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

The thing I like about it is that it seems to use what's basically trick photography to convey the rapidly changing scale. It could've easily been done with a long, boring tracking shot with effects at the forefront but the editing tells the story. It's a teaser that actually teased me, I want to see what Wright is willing to do with this movie. It's the first time I've seen something in one of these Marvel movies where I've thought, "oh that's pretty neat," which is kinda the point, right?

I groaned at the animecoolguy pose at the beginning, but the streamlined simplicity of the rest of it really impressed me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think I've just accepted at this point that if you have a superhero movie, part of the thrill is just watching someone pose like a dumbass in his silly costume.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

I think I've just accepted at this point that if you have a superhero movie, part of the thrill is just watching someone pose like a dumbass in his silly costume.

Watchmen.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgOtPXDyKjA

Every. loving. Time.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'm pretty sure Man of Steel won't have one of those.

Pretty sure.

Also, totally agree with this. I was expecting a bunch of totally wicked rad slo-mo tracking shots where they follow him shrinking to dodge bullets and then rapidly growing to deliver sick uppercuts and stuff, but what actually happened was really impressive without going completely overboard. In fact, it was so seemingly practical that I wouldn't have been entirely surprised if it was a teaser for a television series instead of a movie. Like I said in the BSS thread, it made me wish someone was making an Atom TV show. (Though ironically, at the scales the Atom sometimes works at, he's the one who'd need a film budget to really work.)

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 20, 2013

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

McSpanky posted:

I'm pretty sure Man of Steel won't have one of those.

Pretty sure.

The trailer already had a three point launching. Plus it's Synder; he's going to get at least one proper three point landing in.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Here's an embedded Tumblr source for the Ant-Man video, which is less likely to be taken down anytime soon.

edit: Oh man the suit is totally reminding me of Kamen Rider, probably unintentionally, but it is still a good thing.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

teagone posted:

The trailer already had a three point launching. Plus it's Synder; he's going to get at least one proper three point landing in.

A) A three-point launching is loving awesome.

B) It doesn't count as a three-point landing if the fist is coming down for a seismic ground-pound.

edit) Look at that marvelous cape. Gaze upon it.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 20, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

McSpanky posted:

B) It doesn't count as a three-point landing if the fist is coming down for a seismic ground-pound.

God the launch bit in the trailer is so good, I get goose bumpy just thinking about it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

McSpanky posted:

Oh, I have nothing against 3 point landings or launches. Just pointing stuff out is all.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

That's a bloody four point landing! Sloppy work.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
Gotta love how that Kick-rear end 2 trailer uses a song from the Dredd soundtrack halfway through. It seems both Kick-rear end movies are only worth a drat because of a high profile actor going full bore into their insane impressions, with Nic Cage doing his best Adam West, and Jim Carrey doing his best drunken Stallone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
This would be a pretty major get for Marvel if this comes to be:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/03/marvel-surprise-robert-redford-in-talks-to-star-in-captain-america-the-winter-soldier/

It would be like how they got Hopkins for Thor. Though Hopkins has done a lot of crappy stuff in the last few decades as well.

• Locked thread