Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe
I have the same problem once in a while as well. Just like kri kri, if I just leave it eventually it will close.

Looks like 12.1 has been released. Maybe that will fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

How does Ace handle Unicode characters?

That's the one thing I hate about most skins is that I have to resort to Arial based fonts to get Cyrillic, Chinese and Japanese language support. And it's not nearly as aesthetically pleasing as what the skin author had intended. :(

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Ace seems pretty cool but the silly blue blinking icon is pointless, I'm going to remove that tonight and see if anything else annoys me. Pretty solid overall though. Anyone else not able to get the 10day weather forecast working? I have all of my stuff entered alright but it only ever wants to give me the current info.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

frumpsnake posted:

rbej's custom OpenELEC builds have no problems 1080p w/DTS decoding, even at stock.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=140518&pid=1350100#pid1350100

Mainly due to patches such as this one, which I believe has been merged into XBMC for an upcoming point release.
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/2158

:aaa: I need this, I couldn't watch some stuff that I really wanted to watch because my lovely TV does not decode DTS, thanks

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

The Gunslinger posted:

Ace seems pretty cool but the silly blue blinking icon is pointless, I'm going to remove that tonight and see if anything else annoys me. Pretty solid overall though. Anyone else not able to get the 10day weather forecast working? I have all of my stuff entered alright but it only ever wants to give me the current info.

The Bluedot and the default skin sounds are my only complaints about Ace.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Lowen SoDium posted:

The Bluedot and the default skin sounds are my only complaints about Ace.

Lack of a Unicode font is my sole complaint about Ace.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

DarkSol posted:

Lack of a Unicode font is my sole complaint about Ace.

Sigh. I just went from "this looks awesome!" to "oh well."

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Anyone use a launcher without a keyboard? I finally got sound working with ePsxe and was about to sit down to play a game when I realized I have no way to exit the game :(

I've only got a remote and controller so alt+f4 won't work for me. I know in python I could make use of subprocess to launch/kill a process and the Rom Collection addon has an option to make use of it, but there's no details on how I'd kill the emulator :/

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Not sure if this is beyond the scope of the thread. But I've had the idea of dual booting openelec and chrome(ium)OS from USB on my main htpc.

From what I can gather openelec is good, but its browser options are lacking/an after thought. So thought a fast re boot into chromium might be an idea?

Though having not used either yet, I thought I'd sound it out here first before I get round to trying it. Couldn't find any like for like examples elsewhere, YouTube etc.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Ashex posted:

Anyone use a launcher without a keyboard? I finally got sound working with ePsxe and was about to sit down to play a game when I realized I have no way to exit the game :(

I've only got a remote and controller so alt+f4 won't work for me. I know in python I could make use of subprocess to launch/kill a process and the Rom Collection addon has an option to make use of it, but there's no details on how I'd kill the emulator :/

I'm not familiar with ePsxe but I would imagine there's a way to remap one of the buttons on your remote to a button you need, like Esc. I don't remember how off the top of my head however.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Got an odd XBMC install situation:

We've been using Boxee for years on a laptop hooked up to the TV, which has worked well for us. Following Boxee's gradual retreat from non-settops and the steady degradation of the software, we're ready to jump ship. So I downloaded XMBC (v12 Frodo) for Mac.

However, the downloaded app has a slash icon through it. If you try and run it, you get the system message "This software won't run on this Mac". Which is odd because the requirements are an Intel Mac running 10.6 or later and the laptop is a dual USB Intel Mac running 10.6.8.

Have I missed some requirement here?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

outlier posted:

Got an odd XBMC install situation:

We've been using Boxee for years on a laptop hooked up to the TV, which has worked well for us. Following Boxee's gradual retreat from non-settops and the steady degradation of the software, we're ready to jump ship. So I downloaded XMBC (v12 Frodo) for Mac.

However, the downloaded app has a slash icon through it. If you try and run it, you get the system message "This software won't run on this Mac". Which is odd because the requirements are an Intel Mac running 10.6 or later and the laptop is a dual USB Intel Mac running 10.6.8.

Have I missed some requirement here?

Did you download the 64bit or 32bit version? You may need the 32bit version. There is an x86_64.dmg and an x86.dmg. Try the link that just says OSX

http://xbmc.org/download/

edit: also there is no Dual USB Intel mac, i mean they do have dual USB but DUAL USB is used to refer to one of the ibooks.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm not familiar with ePsxe but I would imagine there's a way to remap one of the buttons on your remote to a button you need, like Esc. I don't remember how off the top of my head however.

Yeah, there's a way to do contextual button mappings for certain sections of XBMC. The problem is the button presses would only apply to XBMC the way I see it. Only thing I can think of would be to write a script that would kill epsxe and map that to a button, but I want to have savestates :(

If I have to write a script to kill ePsxe, I may as well just write an XBMC script that pops up a dialog asking what game I want to play and use that for managing ePsxe instead of using the rom collection add-on. Once ePsxe launched I just stick a while loop or something that blocks me from doing things in XBMC while ePsxe is running, hitting the stop button would kill the emulator.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 20, 2013

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
What are you using to launch the emulator? I remember that AdvancedLauncher supported passing key presses through to emulators for this purpose.

EC fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 20, 2013

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

I'm using Rom Collection which is overkill for what I'm doing, I only plan to play one game at a time. I looked at AdvancedLauncher but the online manual didn't mention that. I'll definitely check it out later though.

Edit: Nope, no way to pass input via the remote in AdvancedLauncher :( I guess I should just get a tiny wireless keyboard as I also want to make use of save states (plus I'll need to change the disc for Grandia/Xenogears). Any suggestions?

Ashex fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 21, 2013

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

quote:

Did you download the 64bit or 32bit version? You may need the 32bit version. There is an x86_64.dmg and an x86.dmg. Try the link that just says OSX

http://xbmc.org/download/

edit: also there is no Dual USB Intel mac, i mean they do have dual USB but DUAL USB is used to refer to one of the ibooks.

That was it. I ended up with the 64bit app. (In my own defense, the download links aren't real clear.)

And you're also right about the Mac model. I was confusing our old TV laptop (dual USB) with the new one (Core Duo).

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Ashex posted:

I'm using Rom Collection which is overkill for what I'm doing, I only plan to play one game at a time. I looked at AdvancedLauncher but the online manual didn't mention that. I'll definitely check it out later though.

Edit: Nope, no way to pass input via the remote in AdvancedLauncher :( I guess I should just get a tiny wireless keyboard as I also want to make use of save states (plus I'll need to change the disc for Grandia/Xenogears). Any suggestions?

What OS are you on? If you're on Windows, you can use EventGhost to manage this stuff very easily. I setup different profiles for different emulators so I could close, save/load state, etc. If something like that exists on Linux I've never heard of it (but I would totally put it in the OP if there is one).

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

I'm on linux, I ended up asking the dev for AdvancedLauncher and they provided me a .lirc config that basically maps the stop button to a killall command for a specific process (epsxe in my case). I'm going to expand on it by using xte to send key presses to create/load save states too. I'll post it here when I've got it working.

Another option is to use joy2key to map a button on the controller to a keypress, this works well for controllers with extra keys that aren't used. In my case I'm using a PS2 controller so they're all used.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Running Openelec, on an oldish computer, I am able to stream 1080p videos pretty easily over Wifi from my other computer in the basement. Rarely, I'll get some buffering, but it's kind of random and probably just wifi hiccups. However, when playing Planet Earth in 1080p, there is one scene that buffers every time, in the opening when it zooms out on like 100,000 birds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0WBz5bOTEo

I've watched it with the detailed info tab running, and you can see that the previous scene eats some of the buffer, and then when the birds start appearing it goes all the way down to zero and then has to buffer for a few seconds.

Can I stop this from happening by increasing the buffer or something like that?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
In my experience with wireless (and that EXACT scene, although it will happen with any scene with a lot of tiny moving objects) no, increasing the buffer won't help. I lived with it for awhile and then went to a wired connection, and have never had a problem since.

walumachoncha
Jul 22, 2004
fraeulin doesn't like linux/GNOME :(
That particular scene is used as a stress test for cpu/ gpu/ bandwidth limits on htpcs. It's known in the web as the "Killa Sample". It's not just you, almost everyone with a bottleneck somewhere will have stuttering or dropped frames. I mean, it's freaking thousands of geese moving and forcing frame refreshes, of course it's going to tax your system.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

MeKeV posted:

Not sure if this is beyond the scope of the thread. But I've had the idea of dual booting openelec and chrome(ium)OS from USB on my main htpc.

From what I can gather openelec is good, but its browser options are lacking/an after thought. So thought a fast re boot into chromium might be an idea?

Though having not used either yet, I thought I'd sound it out here first before I get round to trying it. Couldn't find any like for like examples elsewhere, YouTube etc.

Theoretically this would be quite simple. I'm not familiar with the Google OS and how it works with anything but their netbooks but Linux dual boots just fine using the Grub2 bootloader. Linux distro by their nature treat other OS as a hobby. It's only Windows that tries to flatten and destroy everything outside of itself.

Head here and run the question by them http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2389159

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
XBMC 12.1 is out

Lots of fixes:

XBMC now supports using OSX’s default output device for audio as well as hardware decoding with Intel GPUs in OSX
    XBMC no longer hogs audio for Linux and on resume audio will continue to work in Linux
    Full iPhone 5 resolution is now enabled
    Volume buttons on Android devices now control Android volume, rather than XBMC volume
    Volume buttons on OSX devices once again control OSX volume, rather than XBMC volume
    Player optimization on the Raspberry Pi, including more efficient playback, better subtitle support, and many crash fixes
    iOS 6 support on the AppleTV 2.
    XBMC does not crash when listed on the AppleTV top shelf
    Added support for additional Xbox 360 controller types
    Broader and more intelligent support for CEC devices
    Fixed problems with several addons due to broken binary read/write in our python interface
    Language fixes, including 7 new languages: Albanian, Burmese, Malay, Persian (Iran), Tamil (India), Uzbek, Vietnamese
    AirPlay fixes, including making discovery of XBMC more reliable on OSX
    Numerous crashing and stability fixes across all platforms

edit: I see it was mentioned at the top of this page, but I am leaving this post in case anyone else missed it like it did.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Did the integrated emulators ever take off? I use XBMC on my TV as a secondary display, but I can't find emulators that support a secondary display, so they are useless to me.

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010

Lowen SoDium posted:

XBMC 12.1 is out

Lots of fixes:

XBMC now supports using OSX’s default output device for audio as well as hardware decoding with Intel GPUs in OSX
    XBMC no longer hogs audio for Linux and on resume audio will continue to work in Linux
    Full iPhone 5 resolution is now enabled
    Volume buttons on Android devices now control Android volume, rather than XBMC volume
    Volume buttons on OSX devices once again control OSX volume, rather than XBMC volume
    Player optimization on the Raspberry Pi, including more efficient playback, better subtitle support, and many crash fixes
    iOS 6 support on the AppleTV 2.
    XBMC does not crash when listed on the AppleTV top shelf
    Added support for additional Xbox 360 controller types
    Broader and more intelligent support for CEC devices
    Fixed problems with several addons due to broken binary read/write in our python interface
    Language fixes, including 7 new languages: Albanian, Burmese, Malay, Persian (Iran), Tamil (India), Uzbek, Vietnamese
    AirPlay fixes, including making discovery of XBMC more reliable on OSX
    Numerous crashing and stability fixes across all platforms

edit: I see it was mentioned at the top of this page, but I am leaving this post in case anyone else missed it like it did.

If anyone wants to upgrade their XBMCbuntu install, here's what you gotta do:

If you are doing this remotely (via ssh) look up the IP address of the computer you are connecting to (you can do this under system -> hardware), or go to the a VTY by hitting CTRL+ALT+F1 on your keyboard.

Once you are at the command line I used these commands to upgrade:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo reboot

I upgraded both my living room and my bedroom XBMCs that way. Hope that helps!

I light fires
May 12, 2001
moved here from the htpc thread because I'm a dummy

I'm having some pretty annoying buffering issues with xbmc on my atv2. The fixes the wiki gives me haven't been especially helpful in stopping the constant buffering and crashing back to the episode lists. The one fix I haven't really tried is switching to a new type of library sharing. I was using smb and it seemingly caused dreadful buffering so I switched to upnp but the other instance of xbmc I have to run on my server keeps crashing and I have to remote in and restart the damned things again and again and there is still buffering problems though not as awful. Is there a best type of file sharing ?

I tested smb and upnp on my mac book and I didn't experience any buffering problems so I am leaning to the opinion that it is the apple tv that is the problem not the file sharing but I'm a bit of a dummy when it comes to networks and that kind of stuff. I'm not adverse to buying something to replace the atv2 but I don't want to spend money if I don't have to and I like the atv because it does netflix and streams my itunes library in a fashion that it comfortable for my wife to operate.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Are you using wireless or hard wire?

I light fires
May 12, 2001
Hardwired cat 5 but when I tried it on the macbook that was wireless.

I got the atv quite some time ago and hadn't been impressed with how it had worked for xbmc, so I bought a revo 3600 stacked a usb enclosure with four 2 tb drives next to it and called it a day but I have since moved and while my house is now bigger my living room area is smaller and odder shaped so I thought I would give the atv another shot. If space and noise weren't a problem I would bring the revo down from the office upstairs and plug it all back the way I had it but the drive enclosure is quite noisy as is the revo after many years of being on 24/7. I really want the atv to work because its the perfect size and volume but the constant buffering and pseudo crashes are so aggravating that if I can't solve it then I'll have to get something else. Has anyone had any experience with the fanless foxconn nano pc's? Like So

redhalo
May 19, 2009

DarkSol posted:

How does Ace handle Unicode characters?

That's the one thing I hate about most skins is that I have to resort to Arial based fonts to get Cyrillic, Chinese and Japanese language support. And it's not nearly as aesthetically pleasing as what the skin author had intended. :(

I just worked with `Black on his Xperience1080 skin to add asian character support to it. The skin may not be as eye candy flashy as others, but it's fast, clean and friends can use it intuitively.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

I light fires posted:

Hardwired cat 5 but when I tried it on the macbook that was wireless.

I got the atv quite some time ago and hadn't been impressed with how it had worked for xbmc, so I bought a revo 3600 stacked a usb enclosure with four 2 tb drives next to it and called it a day but I have since moved and while my house is now bigger my living room area is smaller and odder shaped so I thought I would give the atv another shot. If space and noise weren't a problem I would bring the revo down from the office upstairs and plug it all back the way I had it but the drive enclosure is quite noisy as is the revo after many years of being on 24/7. I really want the atv to work because its the perfect size and volume but the constant buffering and pseudo crashes are so aggravating that if I can't solve it then I'll have to get something else. Has anyone had any experience with the fanless foxconn nano pc's? Like So

How does the atv access files? If you're using the revo to serve files why not switch their roles? I use a revo 3600 as my htpc and it works great.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

redhalo posted:

I just worked with `Black on his Xperience1080 skin to add asian character support to it. The skin may not be as eye candy flashy as others, but it's fast, clean and friends can use it intuitively.

I don't really need a skin to be "eye candy flashy", I just want it to look decent while still supporting Unicode. And I like the look of Xperience1080, so I'll give it a try! :)

I light fires
May 12, 2001

Ashex posted:

How does the atv access files? If you're using the revo to serve files why not switch their roles? I use a revo 3600 as my htpc and it works great.

I also used my revo for years as my htpc and it served me well but after years of being left on and running 24/7 the fans are distractingly loud plus the usb enclosure I'm using for storage is also quite loud. The room the tv is in now is a large open concept kitchen/dining/living room so having oodles of running fans and blinking lights is not high on my list of things I want. I updated xbmc to 12.1 and only had one buffering incident last night so perhaps the update has solved some of my issues.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Open up the revo and blow out the dust, the heatsink gets clogged easily (After I did this it was significantly quieter).

I set a friend up with an atv running Crystalbuntu and they always had buffering issues :/

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
So is the Foxcon Hudson D1 deal pretty good overall? Will it play my 10-bit Archer episodes and poorly encoded Always Sunny episodes without throwing a fit? I've got a Boxee Box right now and I can't deal with its instability anymore.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

ultramiraculous posted:

So is the Foxcon Hudson D1 deal pretty good overall? Will it play my 10-bit Archer episodes and poorly encoded Always Sunny episodes without throwing a fit? I've got a Boxee Box right now and I can't deal with its instability anymore.

I don't know of anything* that can play 10-bit encodes, and I don't think anything will support it until the H.265 spec has been out for a few more years.

*Boxee, Raspberry Pi, or similar devices.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Odette posted:

I don't know of anything* that can play 10-bit encodes, and I don't think anything will support it until the H.265 spec has been out for a few more years.

*Boxee, Raspberry Pi, or similar devices.

Frodo supports it, but only with a reasonably fast CPU like an i3 or i5. Atoms, Hudson, and other "lightweights" can't do it.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Ixian posted:

Frodo supports it, but only with a reasonably fast CPU like an i3 or i5. Atoms, Hudson, and other "lightweights" can't do it.

womp womp

So Frodo will try and play it and just drop a bunch of frames, presumably?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

ultramiraculous posted:

womp womp

10-bit will rape your cpu if it's not powerful enough, expect everything to run like poo poo while xbmc struggles to decode it.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

ultramiraculous posted:

womp womp

I've seen some people have success with 10-bit on the E350 after much messing about with various patches or commits from nightly builds that enable multithreading for software decoding but it still isn't perfect, but gently caress 10-bit anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Until the newer spec is supported by all the major hardware decoders (don't hold your breath) all the people who really care about 10 bit (Anime nerds, mostly) are using i3 or i5 based HTPC's. If it's really important to you that's the only reliable route to go.