Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I get them confused since they were both before my time and they had similar names, but it struck we as odd that Adrian Street won best gimmick the same year that Adrian Adonis was voted as the worst.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wrestling_Observer_Newsletter_awards#Best_Gimmick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Danshoku Dino does stuff that Goldust could only dream of in Japan and is one of the most over wrestlers in that company. If it's done well, people love it. If it isn't, people hate it. I don't think that Goldust was done well at that time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb9ohr7TfE0

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
If you think the reaction to Goldust was bad, people used to chant "human being" at Adrian Adonis.

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 20, 2013

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

There's a part in that Pillman piece that I wanted to ask about.

Meltzer posted:

Around Labor Day, Ross ordered him to take a drug test. He went nuts, admitting he was taking pain pills, just like everyone else in the company, because he believed it was impossible to be a pro wrestler without them. He was vehement about being picked on, particularly because it was by Ross, who in his deluded mind, he saw as a close friend who betrayed him. He insisted he was doing nothing nobody else wasn't doing, and claimed Shawn Michaels, one of the company's biggest stars, was worse off than he was, but was politically untouchable for some reason. He said he had never gone on television so loaded he couldn't perform, noting another top star had done so twice in recent weeks, with impunity.

Who was he referring to here? The way it's written implies that it's someone other than Michaels. This is placed around Labor Day of 1997, so I'm guessing maybe Bulldog? If you wanna call him a top star. He was part of the Hart Foundation/Austin angle that was huge at that time, and feuding with HBK over the Euro title.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think one of the interesting dynamics of early Goldust was him soliciting homophobia from the faces like Razor Ramon in order to cause them discomfort and lower their guard.

In mid-1990's terms, the most commentators would call that was "mind games on the part of Goldust". But as a serious heel tactic, it had never been done in such a risque manner before.

Adrian Street was more of a comedic gay character - he even helped train Rico when they made Billy and Chuck gay characters.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

nasboat posted:

Who was he referring to here? The way it's written implies that it's someone other than Michaels. This is placed around Labor Day of 1997, so I'm guessing maybe Bulldog? If you wanna call him a top star. He was part of the Hart Foundation/Austin angle that was huge at that time, and feuding with HBK over the Euro title.

I think Road Warrior Hawk if I have the time period correct

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

jeffersonlives posted:

I think Road Warrior Hawk if I have the time period correct

this makes sense. I was thrown off by 'top star' because I really limit my thinking there, but yeah....within a year they were making angles out of it.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

nasboat posted:

There's a part in that Pillman piece that I wanted to ask about.

Here's Bulldog vs. Dude Love from the last TV Taping before Labor Day 1997 (taped August 23rd, aired September 5th):

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22k0v_raw-9-5-97-part-two_shortfilms#.UUk2PBfYd1s

EDIT:

Here's LOD's match from the same episode:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22l5y_raw-9-5-97-part-four_shortfilms#.UUk3OBfYd1s

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 20, 2013

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I know Bret said that bulldog wrestled super hosed up sometimes

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

MassRayPer posted:

They got a good one!
mods plz namechange to DISCO INFERNO69

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

quote:

MOST DISGUSTING PROMOTIONAL TACTIC

2. WCW The Giant billed as the son of Andre87
That sort of surprises me. I never saw that one as sleazy in any way. Is it just that Andre is such a revered guy that trading on his name and legacy is seen as uncool? There's been tons of fake family members and fake lineages used in wrestling. In and of itself I never actually saw that stuff as disgusting.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

STAC Goat posted:

That sort of surprises me. I never saw that one as sleazy in any way. Is it just that Andre is such a revered guy that trading on his name and legacy is seen as uncool? There's been tons of fake family members and fake lineages used in wrestling. In and of itself I never actually saw that stuff as disgusting.

Well, bear in mind, Andre had only been dead for a few years when that happened.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

VogeGandire posted:

Well, bear in mind, Andre had only been dead for a few years when that happened.

Didn't they also hint that Hogan was responsible for Andre's death?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

VogeGandire posted:

Yeah, but I mean Paul Bearer wasn't even cold yet before Punk started using him for an angle. Different time, maybe, but two to three years seems like a long time in wrestling.

Like I said, I guess I can somewhat understand it if its just that Andre was especially revered and the relatively short time since his death made people uncomfortable to be trading off him. It just struck me as odd since I never saw that one as sleazy and that brand of "carny" seems to be a very widely accepted part of wrestling with much worse examples even in very recent memory.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

The American Dream posted:

I know Bret said that bulldog wrestled super hosed up sometimes

Yes, as was noted in his book the Bulldog had to be carried in the famous Summerslam main event IC bout because he had been up the day/night before SMOKING CRACK!

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Yes, as was noted in his book the Bulldog had to be carried in the famous Summerslam main event IC bout because he had been up the day/night before SMOKING CRACK!

When I read this, I hear Bryan Alvarez's voice in my head saying it.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

VogeGandire posted:

I also doubt anyone close to him was consulted with regard to billing the Giant as his son.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

And of course, the angle would end on that random Nitro where Hall asked Giant if he was really Andre's kid.

"*Long pause* Nah."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Has then been an angle that involved a real persons death that did not win or at least get a nomination for most disgusting promotional tactic?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
My friend called a wrestling hotline once and he said it was a complete waste of money and got to hear some pre recorded message from Scott Hall I think. I can't believe people actually called those things.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Astro7x posted:

My friend called a wrestling hotline once and he said it was a complete waste of money and got to hear some pre recorded message from Scott Hall I think. I can't believe people actually called those things.

Oh yes they did, along with the Nintendo Power hotline and 1-900 sex talk lines.

Pre Internet we did all of the stupid stuff we do now only it cost more money and now we can do it anytime.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Zack_Gochuck posted:

When I read this, I hear Bryan Alvarez's voice in my head saying it.

I...I think I wrote that with Alvarez's voice in my head as well :negative:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bobkatt013 posted:

Has then been an angle that involved a real persons death that did not win or at least get a nomination for most disgusting promotional tactic?

People seem to love this Paul Bearer storyline, which weirds me out because it feels pretty sleazy to me. Borderline at least. But people here at least seem to love it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

STAC Goat posted:

People seem to love this Paul Bearer storyline, which weirds me out because it feels pretty sleazy to me. Borderline at least. But people here at least seem to love it.

I'm sure tons of people in the company are saying "Bill would've approved", and even if that's true, it just feels... not right.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm still not unconvinced that Paul just kept an envelope on his mantelpiece marked "Angles to be used in event of my death".

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

When I was a kid, I ran up my parents' phone bill calling the WWF hotline and trying to win the trivia contests. I wasn't trying to get any scoops, I just wanted fabulous prizes :(

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I think someone recorded all those hotline things and uploaded them somewhere. I'll have to check it out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Red posted:

I'm sure tons of people in the company are saying "Bill would've approved", and even if that's true, it just feels... not right.

Yeah, I remember the Lawler stuff when they used his heart attack and his mom dying. People said he was seemingly ok with it so we should be too, but I'm not sure I'm wired that way. It felt sleazy and wrong to me even if it was Jerry's idea.

Job Creator
Apr 3, 2009

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I really wish this wasn't true as The Bulldog and Bret Hart were my two favorites as a kid and that match is by far my favorite of all time.

The image of a cracked out Davey Boy really tarnishes it for me.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Sean Archer posted:

I really wish this wasn't true as The Bulldog and Bret Hart were my two favorites as a kid and that match is by far my favorite of all time.

The image of a cracked out Davey Boy really tarnishes it for me.

Make sure you don't ever read the book yourself then.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Oh yes they did, along with the Nintendo Power hotline and 1-900 sex talk lines.

Pre Internet we did all of the stupid stuff we do now only it cost more money and now we can do it anytime.

Now I remember calling a Nintendo Tip Hotline when I was younger to get help on Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening. And the guy asked me if I was righting everything down and I said "oh, I'm recording this call, I don't need to write it down" and he told me it was illegal to record their call and I felt really bad :(

coconono posted:

I think someone recorded all those hotline things and uploaded them somewhere. I'll have to check it out.

This would be amazing...

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I'm pretty sure the Nintendo line was actually free up until the 90s or so, when they went from having live people to talk to to a prerecorded thing.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

oldpainless posted:

Yeah, according to Bret, due to Davey's substance use he was blown up and utterly lost within two minutes of the match and Bret basically had to turn Smith into a ventriloquist's dummy and tell him everything they were going to do for the rest of the match. How much you believe Bret really depends on how much you like Bret: I think at the least it's a little exaggerated (I really read Bret as pissed off for how bad Dynamite and Smith screwed up their lives and by extension their marriages to his sisters) and exacerbated by the fact Smith's not here to defend himself any more.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

I'm pretty sure the Nintendo line was actually free up until the 90s or so, when they went from having live people to talk to to a prerecorded thing.

IIRC it was free but a long distance instead of a 1-800 number? I remember it cost my parents in some way so I was only allowed to call on a few occasions.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Thauros posted:

IIRC it was free but a long distance instead of a 1-800 number? I remember it cost my parents in some way so I was only allowed to call on a few occasions.

Yeah, people sometimes forget how loving gouging the phone companies were back in the 80s and 90s about long distance calls.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

oldpainless posted:

Don't read Diana Hart's book either (I think it was Diana's?) because in it she claims Davey Boy came home hosed up once and suplexed her.

FAKE EDIT: I didn't read her book either, I read that she says that in the book on the internet.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

fart blood posted:

Don't read Diana Hart's book either (I think it was Diana's?) because in it she claims Davey Boy came home hosed up once and suplexed her.

FAKE EDIT: I didn't read her book either, I read that she says that in the book on the internet.

I have (found it in a library). I don't remember that part, mainly because Diana, as well as being a liar/delusional, is an absolutely terrible writer and it all just blurs together.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Diana Hart book was pulled from shelves after I believe Martha sued her over it. I've read it, insofar as that is possible, since it is nearly unreadable.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The Diana Hart book was pulled from shelves after I believe Martha sued her over it. I've read it, insofar as that is possible, since it is nearly unreadable.

If I remember correctly, the book went back and forth with Davey as a horrible person and as the victim. Jim Neidhart was a terrible person, Bret was a terrible person, Smith/Keith/the rest were all awful people - except for Owen, who was an angel.

Everything I've read about Davey Boy suggests he was a meathead who was naturally gifted, but had the misfortune of spending a lot of time with Dynamite Kid, and picking up all his worst habits. Once Dynamite had to leave the business, he was unlucky enough to be surrounded by people who shared a similar lifestyle. And even then, he had really bad luck when it came to politics and random injuries.

But it was obvious he overdid it on roids/drugs/everything else. Even during his first WWF singles run, with the braids, he looked like an overcooked hot dog. When he came back for his final WWF stint in 1999, he had a dark tan that couldn't hide stretch marks and who knows what else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Yeah, people sometimes forget how loving gouging the phone companies were back in the 80s and 90s about long distance calls.
Now they just gouge on everything else.