Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

C-Euro posted:

I have an OG Transformer (on ICS) that's been giving me some trouble lately. When moving between screens, it will on occasion get stuck for a moment, and when it does get unstuck it has a chance of wiping all of my various icons and widgets. <snip> I'm having the problem with both the stock launcher and Nova Launcher, is this something other Transformer users have encountered? Any suggestions besides "buy an N7" (which I might still do once my new job starts up if I can't figure this out)?
This is a very common problem, and until the last update (last year) restarting the tablet was the only way to fix it. Since then, however:

Tap on the clock, then Settings (the little gear icon) -> Apps -> All -> Launcher -> Force Stop -> OK. Give it a few moments to work its magic (it may or may not go back to the last app you had open), then go back to the home screen. After a few more moments it should start repopulating the home screens.

Even with the Launcher fuckups, and the two built-in email apps constantly crashing, and the general slowness, I still :love: my OG TF101.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHUMPVILLE
Feb 25, 2006
YOUR FAVOURITE
Can someone recommend me a good, inexpensive 10"-or-so tablet for Android? I'm not after anything top of the line, otherwise I'd go a Nexus 10.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Has there been any buzz about Google dropping a $99 Nexus 7 at I/O this year?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

nmfree posted:

This is a very common problem, and until the last update (last year) restarting the tablet was the only way to fix it. Since then, however:

Tap on the clock, then Settings (the little gear icon) -> Apps -> All -> Launcher -> Force Stop -> OK. Give it a few moments to work its magic (it may or may not go back to the last app you had open), then go back to the home screen. After a few more moments it should start repopulating the home screens.

Even with the Launcher fuckups, and the two built-in email apps constantly crashing, and the general slowness, I still :love: my OG TF101.

Thanks! I'll try that out next time it hiccups.

And yeah, I love my OG Transformer but I don't have much occasion to use it since I have a pretty well-running laptop that I use for work. I kind of hope my next job doesn't require so much computer time so I can get a keyboard dock and use my Transformer as a fake, carry-around netbook if I want to travel light one day. This is a really dumb question, but what do you do with your tablet? Just trying to think of how to better integrate mine into my life.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 16, 2013

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

teagone posted:

I heard that a few months back from a very bad source. I do not see them doing this. I DO see them releasing another $199 tablet with a modest upgrade in specs.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

teagone posted:

There's been no buzz about anything coming at I/O except a rumored X-Phone by Motorola.

There has been confirmation that there'll be more about Google TV there according to Google's Twitter and Google+ accounts. :v:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

ThermoPhysical posted:

There's been no buzz about anything coming at I/O except a rumored X-Phone by Motorola.

There has been confirmation that there'll be more about Google TV there according to Google's Twitter and Google+ accounts. :v:

This is true, Asus showed off what became the nexus 7 at either CES or Mobile world Congress, then it just disappeared until Google I/O. Maybe the Nexus Q is their big hardware push :haw:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Athenry posted:

This is true, Asus showed off what became the nexus 7 at either CES or Mobile world Congress, then it just disappeared until Google I/O. Maybe the Nexus Q is their big hardware push :haw:

Nexus Q II. :v:

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
This is from a few pages back but don't buy those lovely off brand Chinese tablets. Bought a refurbished TF300t last week from Newegg for like $260. Pay an extra 60-100 bucks and buy an actually functioning tablet refurbished

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

CHUMPVILLE posted:

Can someone recommend me a good, inexpensive 10"-or-so tablet for Android? I'm not after anything top of the line, otherwise I'd go a Nexus 10.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230478

ASUS TF201-B1-GR Transformer Prime - Gray NVIDIA Tegra 3 1.30GHz 10.1" Wide XGA 1GB Memory DDR2 32GB Flash Integrated Graphics

$219.99 after $40.00 rebate card

Real price $259.00

Anyone have experience with new egg rebates?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Was that the one with wifi problems? I know gps was hosed on it, but I think it also lacked any non-metal window in the casing and that made for poor wifi reception.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

RVProfootballer posted:

Was that the one with wifi problems? I know gps was hosed on it, but I think it also lacked any non-metal window in the casing and that made for poor wifi reception.

Did anyone make an aftermarket replacement backplate? Seems like it could've made a mint.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Splizwarf posted:

Did anyone make an aftermarket replacement backplate? Seems like it could've made a mint.

Everything mounts to the backplate. Its not an easy thing to do.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

RVProfootballer posted:

Yes it is, I own one. Comparing it to my phone, it gets about 33% less range. For me it's a non-issue as I only use it in the house and for that it works just fine. The backplane they released was for the GPS. I can't imagine why you'd even use a GPS on a tablet unless you had 3G built into it. I tried to be clever on one trip by pre-downloading some google maps and frankly it wasn't worth it.

Other than that I've had it for over a year now (bought in Jan '12) and ASUS has been good with the updates. It's worth $200 but I wouldn't pay much more for it now considering the Nexus series is out.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Stick100 posted:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230478

ASUS TF201-B1-GR Transformer Prime - Gray NVIDIA Tegra 3 1.30GHz 10.1" Wide XGA 1GB Memory DDR2 32GB Flash Integrated Graphics

$219.99 after $40.00 rebate card

Real price $259.00

Anyone have experience with new egg rebates?

No experience with NewEgg rebates, but I'd avoid that tablet.

RVProfootballer posted:

The WiFi was extremely horrible. I sometimes didn't even have signal in the room next to the router, that was up against that wall. If you intend to rarely have it on WiFi I guess it's okay, but out in public it rarely worked if there was any distance to the AP.

GPS worked with a dongle, but only if not attached to the keyboard or charger since it blocked that port.

I was practically dancing the day that Amazon gave me a refund on the TF201 6 months after I bought it; and the very next day got a TF700 that I've been very happy with.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

fondue posted:

Yes it is, I own one. Comparing it to my phone, it gets about 33% less range. For me it's a non-issue as I only use it in the house and for that it works just fine. The backplane they released was for the GPS. I can't imagine why you'd even use a GPS on a tablet unless you had 3G built into it. I tried to be clever on one trip by pre-downloading some google maps and frankly it wasn't worth it.
There are apps like Navigon and TomTom which include all the map and POI data so you can GPS it up without a data connection.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
We use Maps on my Nook a lot on long trips, it's simple to tether and the larger (than our phones) screen makes it that much easier for the passenger to navigate. Built-in GPS would be nice.

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

I have a TF201. No complaints about the wifi, but it might as well not have GPS. It's also pretty laggy with the stock ROM. I've flashed it and it's pretty snappy now, but you likely void any warranty when you unlock it.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

illicitporpoises posted:

I have a TF201. No complaints about the wifi, but it might as well not have GPS. It's also pretty laggy with the stock ROM. I've flashed it and it's pretty snappy now, but you likely void any warranty when you unlock it.

According to the support rep I saw, Asus has declared that the TF201 doesn't have GPS because it was such a bad experience.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I got a Nexus 7 yesterday. I took the OTA from 4.2.1 to 4.2.2, and unlocked and rooted it. What else is on the "don't forget to do first" checklist?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Splizwarf posted:

I got a Nexus 7 yesterday. I took the OTA from 4.2.1 to 4.2.2, and unlocked and rooted it. What else is on the "don't forget to do first" checklist?
Have you tried putting it in your mouth to determine whether it's too big to use as a phone?

(But seriously, no, those are the important things to do before you set up. Really only unlocking actually matters that you do it first.)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Stick100 posted:

According to the support rep I saw, Asus has declared that the TF201 doesn't have GPS because it was such a bad experience.

Yea, they actually removed it from the spec list.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Got a new Nexus 10. Used maybe an hour, and while reading some news got a sudden shutdown. Never happened with my android phone, hopefully that is some kind of software bug and not a hardware problem.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Ihmemies posted:

Got a new Nexus 10. Used maybe an hour, and while reading some news got a sudden shutdown. Never happened with my android phone, hopefully that is some kind of software bug and not a hardware problem.

4.2.2? Using Chrome, right?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

4.2.2? Using Chrome, right?

4.2.2 yes, not Chrome but gReader. Seems that many people have gotten those random shutdowns too.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Ihmemies posted:

4.2.2 yes, not Chrome but gReader. Seems that many people have gotten those random shutdowns too.

Mine did until did a fresh install of 4.2.2, once I did that it worked fine. If it's a persistent problem, you should return it asap and get a new one.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Don Lapre posted:

Yea, they actually removed it from the spec list.

Thanks for reminding me about this. The act of doing that, and that it even was released in that state are both hilarious.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
You guys are apparently forgetting the inconspicuous ASUS Transformer Prime GPS Extension Kit that was generously offered made available for free for a limited period of time to the tablet's owners. They didn't have to because "the Transformer Prime is not a professional GPS device", you know, but due to their "unwavering commitment to customers" they did it anyway, god bless their souls.

See if you can spot it!

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

seravid posted:

You guys are apparently forgetting the inconspicuous ASUS Transformer Prime GPS Extension Kit that was generously offered made available for free for a limited period of time to the tablet's owners. They didn't have to because "the Transformer Prime is not a professional GPS device", you know, but due to their "unwavering commitment to customers" they did it anyway, god bless their souls.

See if you can spot it!

I put in a request for one back when the offer was around and they sent me two.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

On the nexus 7, how do I make an app the default app to open again? Facebook links no longer open that app, but instead Chrome, and I am not sure how to change it back.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

On the nexus 7, how do I make an app the default app to open again? Facebook links no longer open that app, but instead Chrome, and I am not sure how to change it back.

Drag Chrome from your app drawer up to "app info," then hit "clear defaults." It'll clear everything related to Chrome, unfortunately, but then you can select the Facebook app as the default next time you open a Facebook link.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

Drag Chrome from your app drawer up to "app info," then hit "clear defaults." It'll clear everything related to Chrome, unfortunately, but then you can select the Facebook app as the default next time you open a Facebook link.

Didn't work. :( Weird. Also doing this for other apps as well. This happened when I installed Dolphin (another browser) but uninstalled that when I ran into problems with apps not launching by default when they should.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

So, apparently a rumor has been tipped that Amazon is going to release a $99 Kindle Fire HD this year. http://techcrunch.com/2013/03/20/amazon-rumored-to-be-working-on-a-99-kindle-fire-hd-7/

I've used a friends Kindle Fire and don't really dig the ads. I guess it could be worthwhile if it's easy to root/install a stock JB ROM on it or something.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've used a Kindle Fire HD and I just can't see the point in wanting one. You don't get access to the android store, and a lot of really good apps are not on the Kindle store. Amazon has all of their apps on both theirs and the normal android platform, so if you wanted you could turn your Nexus into a Kindle HD with all of the good parts (that amazon shopping experience) anyways.

At $99 though, that would make it a very serious buying option.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

I said come in! posted:

I've used a Kindle Fire HD and I just can't see the point in wanting one. You don't get access to the android store, and a lot of really good apps are not on the Kindle store. Amazon has all of their apps on both theirs and the normal android platform, so if you wanted you could turn your Nexus into a Kindle HD with all of the good parts (that amazon shopping experience) anyways.

At $99 though, that would make it a very serious buying option.

At $99, i'd buy one just for the bathroom.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I said come in! posted:

Amazon has all of their apps on both theirs and the normal android platform, so if you wanted you could turn your Nexus into a Kindle HD with all of the good parts (that amazon shopping experience) anyways.

No, they don't and you can't.

NONE of Amazon's video services are available on regular old android. At $99, I would probably seriously consider one just as a Instant Video streaming option.

revolther
May 27, 2008
But Amazon's Instant Video isn't a good service unless you get it "free" with prime. It's the worst of the big 3 streaming apps.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Yeah $99 puts it in the "portable Roku box" category. Seems like a no-brainer for anyone with Prime.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

I said come in! posted:

Didn't work. :( Weird. Also doing this for other apps as well. This happened when I installed Dolphin (another browser) but uninstalled that when I ran into problems with apps not launching by default when they should.

Do you have Chrome Beta installed? Try clearing the defaults for that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

revolther posted:

But Amazon's Instant Video isn't a good service unless you get it "free" with prime. It's the worst of the big 3 streaming apps.

A lot of us DO get it "free" with prime and it does have some content that Netflix does not. Additionally, Amazon is also getting into the original content game as well.

I've mentioned before about the incredible PISS POOR state that media is on Android and Amazon is one company that will actually work to get high quality media out on their tablets.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 20, 2013