Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
If it can be stuffed into the Pelican Case and you're willing to part with it, then by all means, add to it! I doubt it's close to any weight/cost thresholds at the moment, so you're unlikely to push the cost of shipping dramatically higher.

If there was a list of people and places, it's from before the Great Delay of New York and is therefore pretty suspect at this point.

HookShot posted:

Canada always gets so screwed over.
Well, yeah. :canada: I know.
It'll come back around, eventually.

So far, the Nordics have jumped in. Who else is still interested?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Send it down here! :australia: I don't know if there's any more of us interested, but I'm sure I remember some Dorkroomers in SE Asia who were keen.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
It it makes a pass close to Oslo, Norway I wouldn't mind shipping it further.

Frost
Dec 6, 2003
Don't let the Frost bite you
Cologne, Germany is still interested as well.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Yeah, if it ever makes it out of the colonies then I'd like to use it to take pictures of bonnie :scotland:. Willing to post internationally, too.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'm in Jakarta and would be willing to show you what it's all about but there's no way I could get it scanned before June. Just throwing that out there.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
So far it looks like the score is:
Northern Europe: 5 (counting Germany and Scotland)
South-western Pacific: 2

pseudonordic posted:

I want to mail it out on next Friday, March 22nd.
There's your deadline folks. Or sooner, depending (as usual) on my capricious and sociopathic whims. And pseudonordic's veto.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Did I just spend 2 hours shooting a roll of film that wasn't spooling properly when advanced? Will I develop that first roll to find it all blank? :iiam:

Klogdor
Jul 17, 2007
I'd love to give it a shot, Tromsų, Northern Norway, there's lots of snow and mountains around here I can take pictures of. (but no polar bears, sorry.)

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
It might make some type of logistical sense for it to go to the UK first, then Norway, Sweden, Finland, (or some variation of those three) then Germany and further south. If that helps with shipping at all. If it's flat all round then I'll take the drat thing. I want to try and find the ugliest buildings in Oslo. It's kind of shooting fish in a barrel but it's a plan. I'll shove a 1980s flash in the box if it fits too. If that'll seal the deal.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Laser Cow posted:

It might make some type of logistical sense for it to go to the UK first, then Norway, Sweden, Finland, (or some variation of those three) then Germany and further south. If that helps with shipping at all. If it's flat all round then I'll take the drat thing. I want to try and find the ugliest buildings in Oslo. It's kind of shooting fish in a barrel but it's a plan. I'll shove a 1980s flash in the box if it fits too. If that'll seal the deal.

You should be more profligate, who I should bill more.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Everything costs more in Norway, doesn't matter what you do.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Whenever I've looked at postal rates within Europe it's usually always been 3 simple categories: Domestic, EU and International.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Due to ridiculous work schedules, I'm changing the ship date to Monday, March 25th. This will be the only slip on the ship date.

Edit: Also, you guys aren't fighting very hard for this :v:

Amok
Oct 5, 2004
You can't spell failure without U R A
I'm in Finland as well, and have access to a film scanner that a goon friend owns. I live in the Helsinki region, so you'd probably get photos of Suomenlinna, a 18th century island fort built by Sweden to defend against Russia. Also maybe dogges and/or cattes, and maybe a photo or two from a fancy academic white-tie event if I get the camera near the 13th of April!

Klogdor
Jul 17, 2007

pseudonordic posted:

uhm, after the middle of may I might get some cool midnight sun shots up here.

http://om.yr.no/about/midnight-sun/ <-

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

pseudonordic posted:

Consensus and negotiation in good faith are hallmarks of Scandanavia. The societies of northern Europe exported all of their assholes centuries ago, only the reasonable people took a look at a longboat and decided they'd rather not go off a-viking. :black101: :ohdear:

Laser Cow posted:

It might make some type of logistical sense for it to go to the UK first, then Norway, Sweden, Finland, (or some variation of those three) then Germany and further south. If that helps with shipping at all. If it's flat all round then I'll take the drat thing. I
Unless a bunch of Aussies show up in here, this looks like a good plan. Perhaps not to the UK first though, as I suspect there will be a number of Brit-goons who will chime in as local once it reaches Old Blighty.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.

ExecuDork posted:

Consensus and negotiation in good faith are hallmarks of Scandanavia.
He wouldn't know, he's only pseudonordic.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Well here is a real kick in the teeth. If you want something other than color processing, and you want your negatives back, and you having something other than 110, 135, or disc film, there is exactly one place in Houston that will develop it.

I thought I had found another, but nope, they send everything to Aker Imaging, the before mentioned single source for film developing in a town of 4 million.

The Wal-Mart, Walgreens, and CVS here all send their stuff out to FujiColor and you absolutely will not ever get your negatives back.

There also wasn't a daylight developing tank or reels to fit a 4X5 tank to be had at any of the remaining three camera supply places, none of the highschools have dark rooms anymore, the one college that does only allows student use and even then, the drat thing is only open on weekends.

Houston has, apparently, said gently caress you to film.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

squidflakes posted:

Well here is a real kick in the teeth. If you want something other than color processing, and you want your negatives back, and you having something other than 110, 135, or disc film, there is exactly one place in Houston that will develop it.

I thought I had found another, but nope, they send everything to Aker Imaging, the before mentioned single source for film developing in a town of 4 million.

The Wal-Mart, Walgreens, and CVS here all send their stuff out to FujiColor and you absolutely will not ever get your negatives back.

There also wasn't a daylight developing tank or reels to fit a 4X5 tank to be had at any of the remaining three camera supply places, none of the highschools have dark rooms anymore, the one college that does only allows student use and even then, the drat thing is only open on weekends.

Houston has, apparently, said gently caress you to film.

What, were you trying to get someone to develop b/w or e-6 or something?

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Yeah, regular bog standard black and white. I would have done it myself, but I only have a holder for sheet film, and I couldn't find a reel that would fit my 4X5 tank.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Taking Thursday off so I can re-shoot the pics I may or ma ynot have hosed up on Sunday! :dance:

Squidflakes: Wal-Mart doesn't return negatives, huh? Guess I'll be mailing mine to Dwayne's. :smith:

Edit: Apparently there's 1 Walgreen's here that still does 1-hour development for 35mm C-41. I'll give it a shot. :3:

Re-edit: $4.99 for 1-hour development with no prints and negs uncut :smug:

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 20, 2013

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

pseudonordic posted:

Re-edit: $4.99 for 1-hour development with no prints and negs uncut :smug:

Motherfuck.

Seriously, gently caress Houston sometimes.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

squidflakes posted:

Motherfuck.

Tiny rapid city still has a walgreens that'll do 5 dollar rolls, dev only, negs uncut.

:smug:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

squidflakes posted:

Motherfuck.

To be fair, to get this deal I have to live in South Carolina. So.....

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Send it to somebody else in this thread - I'll volunteer, but I know there are others who are closer (and in the same country) who can develop a roll of B&W and send the negs back to you.

If no Americanos step up, send the undeveloped roll of "bog standard black and white" to me. Or buy a 135 reel, I suppose.

pseudonordic posted:

Taking Thursday off so I can re-shoot the pics I may or ma ynot have hosed up on Sunday! :dance:
That's dedication to an ideal! :patriot:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

ExecuDork posted:

That's dedication to an ideal! :patriot:

Picking up Sunday's negs now! :ohdear:

Aaaaaand it was blank. Time to get up at sunrise and reshoot!

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 20, 2013

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
What happened to that piece of poo poo digital?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

pseudonordic posted:

Picking up Sunday's negs now! :ohdear:

Aaaaaand it was blank. Time to get up at sunrise and reshoot!

What up blank walgreen negs from the AE-1 buddy :glomp:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Whitezombi posted:

What happened to that piece of poo poo digital?

As a matter of fact, it's making its way to Mr. Can't Get Film Developed in less than two short days!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

SoundMonkey posted:

As a matter of fact, it's making its way to Mr. Can't Get Film Developed in less than two short days!

Awesome, I can't wait to put the xD in wrong and not take any pictures with this one too!

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

pseudonordic posted:

Awesome, I can't wait to put the xD in wrong and not take any pictures with this one too!

I actually did that, and it doesn't fit if you put it in the wrong way.

(Insert joke)

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Well poo poo! I forgot to include handy tips and instructions for using the digital shitcamera!

This camera has a sliding guard over the lens. This is excellent to protect what is surely very high quality optics. This guard slides back when you wish to take terrible photographs. The guard has three positions: "closed", "open", and "1/16 inch from open". Note that there are click stops at each of these three positions. When sliding it to "open", be aware that you actually only slid it to the well-defined click stop of "1/16 inch from open". The camera will alert you to this fact with a giant retarded error message. Once you remedy that, you will note that actions such as "holding the camera like a normal person" will move the guard from "open" to "1/16 inch from open" and cause the lens to retract.

The flash may or may not be on all the time, regardless of the setting three levels deep in the menu. It will also quite happily decide to use flash in blazing sunlight for no apparent reason, when set to "auto". Note that blazing sunlight is also pretty much the only time the autofocus will work.

Should you wish to delete images, please note that there isn't a button for this. It's 2 menu options down, with "delete one" and "delete all" as options, and should you select "delete one", it will do so, then proceed to the next image while in delete mode, and ask if you want to delete that one too. Repeat until you either work out how to make it stop deleting images or just turn it off and slam your dick in a car door.

The display features an intelligent power saving system that makes it either refuse to turn on or turn off for no apparent reason. Also note that to conserve battery, you cannot activate the display, nor can you use the zoom function, while the flash is charging, which is always, even when flash is turned off. Possibly ESPECIALLY when the flash is turned off, I have not tested this.

You will receive the camera in "1M" mode, which I can only assume means one megapixel. I'm sure there's somewhere you can change it, but with "turning the flash on or off" three layers deep in the menus, image size settings are probably deep enough that you'll never find them because the interface is so counterintuitive that you exit the menu system every four seconds because you pressed a wrong thing and it dumps you back to the top level.

Before using this camera, please write down a list of people who love you and care for you, because the urge to kill yourself will be near-overpowering.

Overall score: 8.4/10

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

SoundMonkey posted:

Well poo poo! I forgot to include handy tips and instructions for using the digital shitcamera!

This camera has a sliding guard over the lens. This is excellent to protect what is surely very high quality optics. This guard slides back when you wish to take terrible photographs. The guard has three positions: "closed", "open", and "1/16 inch from open". Note that there are click stops at each of these three positions. When sliding it to "open", be aware that you actually only slid it to the well-defined click stop of "1/16 inch from open". The camera will alert you to this fact with a giant retarded error message. Once you remedy that, you will note that actions such as "holding the camera like a normal person" will move the guard from "open" to "1/16 inch from open" and cause the lens to retract.

The flash may or may not be on all the time, regardless of the setting three levels deep in the menu. It will also quite happily decide to use flash in blazing sunlight for no apparent reason, when set to "auto". Note that blazing sunlight is also pretty much the only time the autofocus will work.

Should you wish to delete images, please note that there isn't a button for this. It's 2 menu options down, with "delete one" and "delete all" as options, and should you select "delete one", it will do so, then proceed to the next image while in delete mode, and ask if you want to delete that one too. Repeat until you either work out how to make it stop deleting images or just turn it off and slam your dick in a car door.

The display features an intelligent power saving system that makes it either refuse to turn on or turn off for no apparent reason. Also note that to conserve battery, you cannot activate the display, nor can you use the zoom function, while the flash is charging, which is always, even when flash is turned off. Possibly ESPECIALLY when the flash is turned off, I have not tested this.

You will receive the camera in "1M" mode, which I can only assume means one megapixel. I'm sure there's somewhere you can change it, but with "turning the flash on or off" three layers deep in the menus, image size settings are probably deep enough that you'll never find them because the interface is so counterintuitive that you exit the menu system every four seconds because you pressed a wrong thing and it dumps you back to the top level.

Before using this camera, please write down a list of people who love you and care for you, because the urge to kill yourself will be near-overpowering.

I'm pretty sure I had this camera in college.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I would like to register my lack of interest in receiving this digital camera. Please do not send it to me.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Cool, that sounds totally unappealing compared to a fun to use legendary film camera.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

SoundMonkey posted:

The very first thing I will do with this camera is hand it to my 9 year old son and say "have fun buddy".

Can't wait.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

rio posted:

Cool, that sounds totally unappealing compared to a fun to use legendary film camera.

Interesting. We've hit upon a way to increase interest in the main camera, by comparing it favourably to another camera / pile of poo poo. Excellent!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Quick, someone find something even shittier to scare up interest in the shame box Soundmonkey is sending around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Where should I send the sigma.

• Locked thread