Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tensei
Nov 24, 2010

All the 8reaths. All of them.

EME Thread posted:

They didn't get voted in, they used feeder guilds to feed themselves to victory in GvG vanarchy.

This is my favorite, especially considering our abysmal GvG record where we routinely get mass-ganked during Nexus. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Tensei posted:

This is my favorite, especially considering our abysmal GvG record where we routinely get mass-ganked during Nexus. :allears:
That post is talking about NSMB, not DGKK.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Aha, cheers.

Also that thread is precious, really. B-b-b-but my PVPs :qq:!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
So beautiful.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I wish the old establishment of MT would come around and understand that everything they hate DGKK for actually just benefits their own guilds in the end.

PissChrist
Feb 21, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just hit 40 on my Archer. I have to say I'm surprised at how much time I spend in melee range. Fun as hell, though.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

PissChrist posted:

Just hit 40 on my Archer. I have to say I'm surprised at how much time I spend in melee range. Fun as hell, though.

The first 30 or so levels playing an Archer with my Berserker buddy have felt really strange. I don't play at range much as for all intents and purposes being at range feels like the worst thing I can do. So far I've found it much easier to deal with BAMs by standing right underneath them and circle them point blank since they mostly will never stick to the zerker and run at me the whole time anyway, plus you do more damage the closer you are and I don't understand :(

BAMs seem to love to cancel animations mid swing, do a 180 and slide at me and it's incredibly frustrating. I am absolutely brand new to this game and it's a hell of a lot of fun, but Archer is making me relearn almost everything about playing bow classes and I'm clearly doing it wrong. Can anyone give me any advice?

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>

Wilekat posted:

The first 30 or so levels playing an Archer with my Berserker buddy have felt really strange. I don't play at range much as for all intents and purposes being at range feels like the worst thing I can do. So far I've found it much easier to deal with BAMs by standing right underneath them and circle them point blank since they mostly will never stick to the zerker and run at me the whole time anyway, plus you do more damage the closer you are and I don't understand :(

BAMs seem to love to cancel animations mid swing, do a 180 and slide at me and it's incredibly frustrating. I am absolutely brand new to this game and it's a hell of a lot of fun, but Archer is making me relearn almost everything about playing bow classes and I'm clearly doing it wrong. Can anyone give me any advice?

Archers in Tera are not like archers in any other MMO. The Archer is like a semi-ranged assassin. You walk in close and get off one shot that deals a lot of damage. If you're keeping far range all the time as an Archer you're doing it wrong. It's pretty much like a Berserker, just with a bit more range.

Many people expect it to be a class that kites at long distances and slowly takes down their enemies, it really isn't.

Phosphia fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 20, 2013

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Phosphia posted:

Archers in Tera are not like archers in any other MMO. The Archer is like a semi-ranged assassin. You walk in close and get off one shot that deals a lot of damage. If you're keeping far range all the time as an Archer you're doing it wrong. It's pretty much like a Berserker, just with a bit more range.

Many people expect it to be a class that kites at long distances and slowly takes down their enemies, it really isn't.

Well, it can be for whittling down enemies at a distance, but it's completely ineffective compared to what pretty much everyone else does.

Grogsy
Feb 8, 2013

It really is. Did one of our alts start it?

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

Wilekat posted:

If you are out of range, a BAM will try to catch up to you by standing on top of you. The problem with BAMs is you take trample damage when the boss walks ontop of you. You cannot outrun it as it moves faster than you and the only way to stop it is to drop a trap which may or may not work. This will kill archers who try and fight it at range. So the easiest way to fight BAMs is to hug it so it never does that move. If the BAM stops to cancel the animation and spin 180 degrees it means it has lost aggro and another person has primary aggro. This is why tanks have to try very hard not to lose aggro or it will be stuck in a constant spin cycle and kill all the DPS from main aggro bouncing.

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010

Grogsy posted:

It really is. Did one of our alts start it?

No, it's just some pubbie who legit thinks this.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Velveteen posted:

If you are out of range, a BAM will try to catch up to you by standing on top of you. The problem with BAMs is you take trample damage when the boss walks ontop of you. You cannot outrun it as it moves faster than you and the only way to stop it is to drop a trap which may or may not work. This will kill archers who try and fight it at range. So the easiest way to fight BAMs is to hug it so it never does that move. If the BAM stops to cancel the animation and spin 180 degrees it means it has lost aggro and another person has primary aggro. This is why tanks have to try very hard not to lose aggro or it will be stuck in a constant spin cycle and kill all the DPS from main aggro bouncing.

Thanks for this. It's mostly stuff I was slowly figuring out myself (by dying repeatedly) but it's great to confirm my suspicions.

My buddy swapped to his Lancer and we spent the evening duoing our way through the low 30s. BAMs are far less scary when they aren't chasing after you constantly and now I want to try a lancer because tanking in this game looks like it's a ton of fun. Going to stick with Archer though - now that I'm pretending I'm an almost-melee class everything is clicking much better.

Also Popori are the best race. Everyone I've come across has been a creepy girl or a half-naked elf/demon (including my duo partner) so running about as Puss in Boots is proving pretty amusing. Their animations are great, too.

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012
Okay, I just did my first instance at 20. I got 4 melee zerg dorks who trained up everything into a ball and crunched it down from there - the problem being that the moment I healed any of them as they proceeded to die, half of the ball would turn on me and mince me.

And then when this happened on the final boss, I got killed, and I couldn't roll for a single piece of loot.

I'm missing something here, besides the obvious "don't run with pubbies". Someone regale me.

Tensei
Nov 24, 2010

All the 8reaths. All of them.
You can roll for loot while dead with pageup/pagedown. Also, healing draws a significant amount of aggro, so you really should use healing spells judiciously. It's probably also the fault of your tank for being unable to keep aggro though.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Anyone got any tips for Warrior PVP at lv42? I don't really initiate PVP but I really ought to get the hang of defending myself better against gankers. I'm really looking forward to getting to lv60 so I can justify spending loadsamoney a separate set of PVE and PVP equipment.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

balistafreak posted:

Okay, I just did my first instance at 20. I got 4 melee zerg dorks who trained up everything into a ball and crunched it down from there - the problem being that the moment I healed any of them as they proceeded to die, half of the ball would turn on me and mince me.

And then when this happened on the final boss, I got killed, and I couldn't roll for a single piece of loot.

I'm missing something here, besides the obvious "don't run with pubbies". Someone regale me.

I'm not sure if you are Priest or Mystic but this sort of applies to both anyway. Focus healing draws way more aggro than using the circle/balls to heal. Eventually you can get gear to help lower the aggro on your spells but early on if you find yourself pulling aggro all day it's most likely cause you are spamming focus heals.

Of course, you might not be, and it turns out your tank is just terrible. If that's the case there isn't much you can do but maybe yell at him.

Grogsy
Feb 8, 2013

Wilekat posted:

and now I want to try a lancer because tanking in this game looks like it's a ton of fun.

Active tanking is awesome! Also, I have no idea why, but most games have decided that having armour will not help you in the least bit if you get struck with a fireball. Most games today have completely separated physical and magical damage together with armour and magic resist.
I cannot begin to describe how satisfying it is to be able to raise your shield and block a fireball. And not some phony % based block either. It blocks ALL the damage!

An archer flings an arrow your way, raise your shield, BLOCK!

This active tanking thing is brilliant!

Wilekat posted:

Also Popori are the best race. Everyone I've come across has been a creepy girl or a half-naked elf/demon (including my duo partner) so running about as Puss in Boots is proving pretty amusing. Their animations are great, too.

I play a popori lancer and I could not agree more. The animations are hilarious!
Its not so apparent in the lancer, but when you see them swinging something big around it's apparent the animators went for comedy effect :^)

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Buhbuhj posted:

I'm not sure if you are Priest or Mystic but this sort of applies to both anyway. Focus healing draws way more aggro than using the circle/balls to heal. Eventually you can get gear to help lower the aggro on your spells but early on if you find yourself pulling aggro all day it's most likely cause you are spamming focus heals.

Of course, you might not be, and it turns out your tank is just terrible. If that's the case there isn't much you can do but maybe yell at him.

Hah cool I thought I was just crazy for thinking that on my priest, cuz one of my focus heals would do 5-6k and then my close range circle would do 8k and the focus healing was pulling aggro but not the aoe circle heal. Thought aggro was just like wow where x points of healing = x points of threat. Obviously more to it than that.

Good to know.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

I just started playing this morning, and I have one question. Are all the areas in the game semi-open like the starter area? I mean to say, are they mapped areas with specific points of progression, as opposed to open-area zones (as in WoW or LOTRO). Because right now, it feels like I'm playing a single player game while others run around and type abbreviations into global chat. Still, very fun so far.

Grogsy
Feb 8, 2013

spouse posted:

I just started playing this morning, and I have one question. Are all the areas in the game semi-open like the starter area? I mean to say, are they mapped areas with specific points of progression, as opposed to open-area zones (as in WoW or LOTRO). Because right now, it feels like I'm playing a single player game while others run around and type abbreviations into global chat. Still, very fun so far.

Not really sure what you mean but its pretty much the same as wow. Open areas with quest hubs. The only difference is some quests are story quests and these story quests lead you from hub to hub where you pick up all the other quests.

When I started my first character it put me into one that was a bit leveled so I could get a "feel" for it and ran me through something like a scripted scenario. A tutorial if you will.

Normally though you just start as level one at island of dawn with other level ones competing for mobs. Just like any other mmo

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
You do get dungeons and instances later on, but so far up to Lv42 which I'm at, you can solo pretty much everything up to a point that I haven't reached yet. A few quests (including story ones) are designed for groups, but I've just skipped past them and then gone back when I was about 10 levels higher so I could just solo them anyway.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
She is super low level but I have a priest, I have been slowly getting back into the game. I will send in my application later this week and see about getting her in and leveled.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Earlier on there are things that are more easily and enjoyably done with parties, like BAM (boss monster) killing or the rare instanced quests like Bastion of Lok or Sinestral Manor. That all doesn't really start until you're off the newbie island and around level 20 or so. Admittedly, soloing BAM quests is actually a ton of fun too, challenging but profitable if you can do it fast enough. Instances you're not going to be able to do by yourself unless you're hugely overleveled.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Grogsy posted:

Normally though you just start as level one at island of dawn with other level ones competing for mobs. Just like any other mmo

No, bad player! Bad! Get out of channel 1!

In the top right it will tell you what channel you are in. If you stay in channel 1, some crappy level 60 will eventually come by to drive you into the ground. Just click where it says channel 1 and pick literally any other channel on the list. Congratulations! Now you don't have to worry about high level PvPers crapping on low levels as well as drastically reducing mob competition. The starting zone always has 10 channels, later zones are based on how many people are in it.

:frogsiren: Please don't ever be in channel 1 :frogsiren:

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

GaylordButts posted:

No, bad player! Bad! Get out of channel 1!

In the top right it will tell you what channel you are in. If you stay in channel 1, some crappy level 60 will eventually come by to drive you into the ground. Just click where it says channel 1 and pick literally any other channel on the list. Congratulations! Now you don't have to worry about high level PvPers crapping on low levels as well as drastically reducing mob competition. The starting zone always has 10 channels, later zones are based on how many people are in it.

:frogsiren: Please don't ever be in channel 1 :frogsiren:

This this this this this.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

Pews posted:

Hah cool I thought I was just crazy for thinking that on my priest, cuz one of my focus heals would do 5-6k and then my close range circle would do 8k and the focus healing was pulling aggro but not the aoe circle heal. Thought aggro was just like wow where x points of healing = x points of threat. Obviously more to it than that.

Good to know.

The thing is, the close range healing circle is very dangerous to heal with. At higher levels bosses can one shot you from a cleave attack if you decide to run up and use your big burst heal. That heal should be saved for emergencies that require you to give a giant heal on your tank who is about to die. One good skill to cast is restorative burst on the melee so that they are constantly healed by the HoT. Then use focus heal on people who need healing. As long as your tank is attacking during that time, HoTs usually won't pull aggro. Actually, I don't think I ever pull aggro spamming heals on my priest on higher levels. I think its just lower levels where the tank hasn't learned to tank yet.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Also damage threat increases way more than healing threat at endgame (crits for 1 mil+, heals for 60k at max level; crits for less than 20k, heals for 5k at 28)

E: also less crits at low levels overall

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 20, 2013

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

To further remark on what I was asking: in WoW, I could go anywhere the terrain would let me. First thing I did when I got out of the tutorial and into the isle of dawn was I tried to jump off the side of a cliff. It wouldn't let me, invisible fence and whatnot. The whole actually free to explore thing is what made me waste almost 4 years in Azeroth. I was asking if the non newbie areas had invisible fences when I'm getting down to it.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Some, mostly around area borders.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

KaneTW posted:

Some, mostly around area borders.

Yeah, though you'll be surprised at some of the cool looking stuff that you can actually get to, especially later on.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I was iffy on my warrior in the late teens and early 20's, but now it just keeps getting better and better in the 30's. I pretty much just charging slash>pounce>traverse cut>death from above (can cut off traverse if the mob is doing an attack)>vortex>blade draw. That can all be done pretty quickly and the mobs just melt. Not going to make 60 by the end of the leveling contest, but should make 50 at least and get the mount :toot:

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights

spouse posted:

To further remark on what I was asking: in WoW, I could go anywhere the terrain would let me. First thing I did when I got out of the tutorial and into the isle of dawn was I tried to jump off the side of a cliff. It wouldn't let me, invisible fence and whatnot. The whole actually free to explore thing is what made me waste almost 4 years in Azeroth. I was asking if the non newbie areas had invisible fences when I'm getting down to it.

I don't know if it was fixed or not but while mountain climbing I managed to fall off the world... and onto the sun... dunno how but yea it was hilarious. Group of friends managed to work there way towards me and summon me out.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

spouse posted:

I haven't seemed to have a problem traveling to other continents and moving into areas way above my level. The only true barriers to actually -walking- anywhere would be having to move to between the continents of N.Shara/S.Shara/Arun, and those require a relative pittance to fly to by pegasus fee or teleport scroll. And yeah, there are a few areas well off the paths of questing that you can just wander to.

Are the Dracoloth Sovereigns for this week's event worth partying up for to kill? They aren't very difficult to find. I saw a herd of about five of them hanging out at Grankarus just north of the westernmost camp there. Looking around, it seems like they just give Refined and MW Alkahests and Crystalbinds aside from T13 gear.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Hey, now that this is F2P and I have some time, I'm thinking about trying this. I'd be downloading it, but apparently EnMasse is having trouble with their email servers and my account (which has apparently existed since before beta, who knew) verification email isn't showing up.

Anyway, I'm not usually huge for MMOs, but I'm hoping the action component here will hold my interest, like it did in GW2. I tend to play fragile, high-effect types, like mages and healers, so I'm looking at the cloth classes. As far as I know, healers are annoying to level up, especially as a first character since you don't know anything about the game and all the good ways to level up yet, so I'll probably go with Sorcerer. Only having two character slots is irritating, though, and boxed copies seem...rare and expensive.

Any tips on playing a sorcerer and playing in general I may want to know?

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Hey, now that this is F2P and I have some time, I'm thinking about trying this. I'd be downloading it, but apparently EnMasse is having trouble with their email servers and my account (which has apparently existed since before beta, who knew) verification email isn't showing up.

Anyway, I'm not usually huge for MMOs, but I'm hoping the action component here will hold my interest, like it did in GW2. I tend to play fragile, high-effect types, like mages and healers, so I'm looking at the cloth classes. As far as I know, healers are annoying to level up, especially as a first character since you don't know anything about the game and all the good ways to level up yet, so I'll probably go with Sorcerer. Only having two character slots is irritating, though, and boxed copies seem...rare and expensive.

Sorc starts out kind of slow but has a couple of levels where it has rather significant leaps in effectiveness. The first is at 25 when you get Fireblast, then again at 36 when you get Void Pulse, and finally the big one is at 48 when you get Burst of Celerity. Your entire rotation will change at that point as you'll be casting everything ridiculously fast and then have about 10sec of downtime to get your mana back. It's a lot of fun, you just have to kind of stick with it until then cause the payoff is pretty huge.

Also stay out of channel 1 if you don't want to get ganked!

cathead fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 21, 2013

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Pretty much all classes are glass when it comes to taking hits, the difference at end game pve is like...taking 3 hits instead of 1 or 2. There's a lot of one hit moves in hard modes, so sorc and archer in a few ways are a lot easier. They have a lot more trouble with ranged boss attacks and so on, and bosses get specific moves to target the ranged classes during dungeons. Long story short, all classes are hard but it varies how hard they are for each boss.

e: also I never found another friend for a retail copy I have, I already used the bonus reverse code for misc. prizes but I'd sell you the box for $15-20. It'd have all the founder benefits like char and bank slots, you just don't get some free scrolls/gold/a lion mount. (founders already gets you one)

e2: also if a 60 I know from the guild wants to claim it first over a new guy feel welcome to. :v:

Eigo fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 21, 2013

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

cathead posted:

Sorc starts out kind of slow but has a couple of levels where it has rather significant leaps in effectiveness. The first is
I saw this post pre-edit and thought you were just being funny :v:

A weird thing about me and MMOs is that I love playing healers, but rarely ever actually have people to party with. Are you solo basically all the way through leveling?

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

cathead posted:

Sorc starts out kind of slow but has a couple of levels where it has rather significant leaps in effectiveness. The first is at 25 when you get Fireblast, then again at 36 when you get Void Pulse, and finally the big one is at 48 when you get Burst of Celerity. Your entire rotation will change at that point as you'll be casting everything ridiculously fast and then have about 10sec of downtime to get your mana back. It's a lot of fun, you just have to kind of stick with it until then cause the payoff is pretty huge.

Also stay out of channel 1 if you don't want to get ganked!

At 48(?) you also get Hailstorm, which is a big help for DPSing stuff as it helps you pour on the AoE soup even harder.

Also, try to find a Lancer or someone to level with (but preferably a Lancer). Me and a friend in the guild ran this combo for most of our 1-60 and it's worked incredibly well, I vividly remember breezing through the entirety of Quarantine Zone's first few hubs (late 40s area) in around 10 minutes because said friend would pull everything, taunt, block, then watch as I dropped the Fireblast (+ Hailstorm/The green DoT thing). Otherwise, you spend a surprising amount of time kiting poo poo around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Just an update that anything is possible if you don't give a poo poo in this game~

I was rerolling the sword for my Slayer(45) that I just bought and the third normal enig scroll gave me MW.

• Locked thread