Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I officially knocked up my wife again. It took 5 months of Clomid but we did it.

This is our first pregnancy since our molar pregnancy last year, and our two miscarriages before that. The fertility doc put my wife on progesterone and baby aspirin, which may or may not be slightly effective in preventing miscarriages.

My wife got her hcg levels tested today and they're in the 700s. She has another test on Friday and another on Monday, and also an ultrasound next week. By next week we should have a good idea if everything is off to a good start. Our previous miscarriages were at 5 weeks and 9 weeks, so we'll see what happens.

With our history we're not letting ourselves get excited about this one. As my wife put it "this is a medication condition until 3 months. If everything is OK after 3 months we can start calling it a baby."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."
Well, I'm a week late, and still testing negative. There aren't any signs that I'm going to start any time soon, but I also lack any pregnancy signs as well. You can't exactly set your watch by my cycle, but this is pretty off even for me. I came to terms with the fact that I'm not pregnant a week ago, and I'm not anxious to get started on the next cycle because my husband will be out of town for the next couple weeks anyway. I've simply reached the point of confusion. I feel like my body is just stuck in some holding pattern.

Alas, holding patterns do not last. It's just a matter of waiting it out until my body remembers what it's supposed to do, I guess.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Canuckistan posted:

I officially knocked up my wife again. It took 5 months of Clomid but we did it.

This is our first pregnancy since our molar pregnancy last year, and our two miscarriages before that. The fertility doc put my wife on progesterone and baby aspirin, which may or may not be slightly effective in preventing miscarriages.

My wife got her hcg levels tested today and they're in the 700s. She has another test on Friday and another on Monday, and also an ultrasound next week. By next week we should have a good idea if everything is off to a good start. Our previous miscarriages were at 5 weeks and 9 weeks, so we'll see what happens.

With our history we're not letting ourselves get excited about this one. As my wife put it "this is a medication condition until 3 months. If everything is OK after 3 months we can start calling it a baby."

Good luck. You guys have had a rough time with all this stuff. I can totally understand your wife's apprehension. I really hope it works out for you this time around.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Canuckistan posted:

Serious prayers and thoughts for you two. You guys deserve all the happiness in the world. :)

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Thanks for the good thoughts all! It's much appreciated.

The levels were at 1700 this morning. That's a good healthy expected jump.

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."

Canuckistan posted:

The levels were at 1700 this morning. That's a good healthy expected jump.

Yay!!! This is wonderful news! I can understand the apprehension to get your hopes up, but it has to be a bit of a relief that things are starting out smoothly. Congratulations again.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Thanks for your support!

The numbers were in the high 4000s today. Good stuff! Now to wait a few weeks until an 8 week ultrasound.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Hooray, someone else on my facebook is pregnant again. I just :thumbsup: and move on.

grapey
Oct 10, 2012
Looks like I may be trying *not* to get pregnant for a year or so--I'm looking into having bariatric surgery, most likely gastric bypass. If that happens, I'll have to wait a min. of a year before trying again. Because I'm 35, this worries me. But I really feel that nothing will work better to cure my PCOS (and of course help me lose a ton o' weight) than gastric bypass.

So looks like I'll be getting back on birth control *and* using condoms for awhile. Oh well.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
There's a faint 2nd line there, right? I am not just imagining it?

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

That's not even faint (should have seen my first positive test). Congrats! Now try not to go crazy while you wait to be able to confirm things at the doctors office!

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Thats a neon line compared to my first positive - congratulations :)

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
Yay!!! Congrats Bee!

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Thanks goons <3 I just got confirmation from the doctor, it's really early days, about 2-3 weeks along. I am kinda surprised that my doctor was right, to be honest. Not that his logic was bad, it just seemed unlikely that pretty much as soon as I hit the target weight BLAM I got pregnant. Pretty happy though :D

Thanks to everyone for your advice and support in here. Good luck to those still trying... I hope to see you in the pregnancy megathread very soon.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

bee posted:

Thanks goons <3 I just got confirmation from the doctor, it's really early days, about 2-3 weeks along. I am kinda surprised that my doctor was right, to be honest. Not that his logic was bad, it just seemed unlikely that pretty much as soon as I hit the target weight BLAM I got pregnant. Pretty happy though :D

Thanks to everyone for your advice and support in here. Good luck to those still trying... I hope to see you in the pregnancy megathread very soon.

A baby bee is on its way! :3: Congrats and well wishes on a happy pregnancy!

AltruisticNemesis
Nov 7, 2007
tra la la
I'm so glad this thread is here, and maybe you all could help me with knowledge or at least to calm the crazy.

I am 26, have been on category X immune-suppressants (don't even THINK about babies on this drug), and depo for 3 years. I switched to the norethindrone pill about a year ago. I am finally feeling better enough that I have been off the immune-suppressants for 3 weeks (which is long enough for it to be out of my system.) The doctor says I should be in the clear.

The husband and I started thinking hard on baby making, and decided it was time. On March 13th I stopped the pill. On March 14th, after totally legit internet research, I observed sticky cervical mucus. I knew it was a long shot, but we had sex anyway as a halfhearted attempt. We didn't try any of the voodoo yoga tricks the internet says to do like legs up in the air, citrus, pointing north, eating a live calf, summoning satan (only one of these is a fake suggestion, why are people so crazy?) On the 16th I started spotting, and the 17th was another one of my half-hearted norethindrone periods where its thick-ish, snot like, dark red and not really free flowing. It seems today, I am only slightly tinting my pads.

If my "period" stops tonight or tomorrow, will my ovulation continue like normal (where the most fertile days are 8 days past first blood)? And what is the likely hood of me getting knocked up this month? Very likely? Snow ball's chance in hell? Does the cervical mucus predict fairly well when I can conceive?

I'm actually very nervous I can't conceive. I've been on the immune-suppressants a few times in my life and have 2 autoimmune disorders and in my younger years I was never exactly careful but I have never had a scare, and I totally slutted it up. I also have a history of nabothian cysts (if one and a half counts as a history). All these questions are racing through my head like what if I can't conceive, what if it comes out all weird and deformed, what if it gets my auto-immune disorders, what if it's ugly?

I would love a child with my husband, and I know stressing out isn't going to help. But everyone I know who has a kid had it by accident by failing to take their pill or by being all floosy like. Sorry for all the crazy and all the questions. I just feel lost and alone.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I don't know about all the other medication stuff but everything I read when trying to conceive said that it could take quite a few months for things to swing back into place after being on the pill for a long time. If I were you I'd start measuring my temperature first thing - there's a link in the OP for Fertility Friend website which is really good - it has graphs and stuff and tells you when and how to do it. Mucus always confused me a bit so the temperature charting worked better.

Try and tell yourself that you definitely won't get pregnant in the next 6 months - that during that time you'll be preparing by getting used to your bodies rhytms. Trying to conceive sent me a bit mental, every month it would be a pattern of having lots of sex, telling myself not to get excited as I almost definitely wasn't pregnant, slowly working up through 'well there's a small chance I might be' to 'I am most definitely pregnant' then crying when I got my period for two days.

Edit: And start taking folic acid. Research shows it's most beneficial when taken for three months before conceiving so if you don't conceive for three months at least you don't feel like you've wasted your time.

hookerbot 5000 fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Mar 20, 2013

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
^^^ Yes, folic acid, definitely! I started taking that and codliver oil as soon as we chucked the pills.

AltruisticNemesis posted:

And what is the likely hood of me getting knocked up this month? Very likely? Snow ball's chance in hell?

I know nothing about your other medical issues, so I'm just responding to this ^ part of your post. When I quit the pill age 28 after being on it non stop since I was 16, everything I read and everyone I talked to warned us not to get our hopes up and that it would probably take ages before my body got back into the groove. So I got off it, and we planned our honeymoon thinking that we won't get knocked up for several more months. Wham, I had one period, then baby. And a pretty queasy honeymoon.

A part of this, I think, is what hookerbot 5000 says - since we wheren't expecting any success right away, we wheren't stressing out at all or measuring anything, we were just enjoying ourselves and having sex as usual. So I'd actually advice you to not start charting and measuring and peeing on ovulation sticks right away, just think that the first months will be your body readjusting and getting ready, and THEN you can start with the scientific part of babymaking.
Because either you will need those months before your body is ready, in which case no amoount of measuring will make much of a difference, or you won't, in which case stressing about it will only make matters worse.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Sockmuppet posted:

^^^ Yes, folic acid, definitely! I started taking that and codliver oil as soon as we chucked the pills.

I know nothing about your other medical issues, so I'm just responding to this ^ part of your post. When I quit the pill age 28 after being on it non stop since I was 16, everything I read and everyone I talked to warned us not to get our hopes up and that it would probably take ages before my body got back into the groove. So I got off it, and we planned our honeymoon thinking that we won't get knocked up for several more months. Wham, I had one period, then baby. And a pretty queasy honeymoon.

There is always the Sods Law rule that you'll get pregnant the month it's most inconvenient just to gently caress with you. I lived like a saint for 6 months while trying to conceive, decided to take a month off and avoided sex around my fertile time because of the aforementioned craziness and during that month did stuff that isn't exactly recommended in the trying to conceive books. Of course that was the month I got pregnant (but everything was fine).

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

hookerbot 5000 posted:

There is always the Sods Law rule that you'll get pregnant the month it's most inconvenient just to gently caress with you. I lived like a saint for 6 months while trying to conceive, decided to take a month off and avoided sex around my fertile time because of the aforementioned craziness and during that month did stuff that isn't exactly recommended in the trying to conceive books. Of course that was the month I got pregnant (but everything was fine).

Hah, yeah, I was way late, peed on two sticks that were negative, and figured I could finally drink some delicious booze that month. Then I peed on a third stick. Wops.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!

I'm actually very nervous I can't conceive. I've been on the immune-suppressants a few times in my life and have 2 autoimmune disorders and in my younger years I was never exactly careful but I have never had a scare, and I totally slutted it up. I also have a history of nabothian cysts (if one and a half counts as a history). All these questions are racing through my head like what if I can't conceive, what if it comes out all weird and deformed, what if it gets my auto-immune disorders, what if it's ugly?

Nabothian cysts are benign fluid filled 'bubbles' in your cervix, occasionally you can get ones with debris or that are cloudy from a bit of bleeding into them but as far as I know unless you have so many that they actually pack your cervix and enlarge it they really do nothing at all (and even then I doubt very much this would cause any kind of problem). Nabothian cysts are as common and about as interesting as freckles on your nose. At our worksite we don't even give them a second look most of the time, if that helps. Hell, women can have reasonably big fibroids (actual solid benign tumours of the uterine muscle wall) in their uterus and still carry pregnancies to term, no problem.

The problem is there will only ever be a limited number of things you can do before and during the pregnancy to prevent your kid being born with some kind of abnormality...being ugly is probably the least difficult thing out of the plethora of things that can go wrong. Baby could be born totally apparently normal and then 3 years in, bam, autistic spectrum disorder rears its head. Or something totally benign like having twins or triplets, could make your life a zillion times more difficult than you could ever imagine, and that's even if they're perfectly healthy.

At some point you'll have to get your head around the fact that you can't control for everything, and that the process of becoming a parent involves a certain amount of closing your eyes and taking a leap of faith. Only a tiny amount, mind you, thanks to ultrasounds and assisted reproductive technology and other medical awesomeness, but its still there. Have you got any solid info on how likely your autoimmune conditions are genetically transferable? Is your husband likely to be a carrier for any genetic conditions that would make it more hazardous to have a kid?

Things you have got going for you:
-You're young, so your eggs are in better condition than a 35 year old's who's trying to fall pregnant 'naturally'. Age is probably the single biggest factor for fertility. Having the luxury of time being on your side is MASSIVE.

-It sounds like you give a poo poo, which is a drat good sign for a potential parent...I've seen too many people who literally "fall pregnant" (i.e. become pregnant carelessly/unintentionally and proceed with things without the slightest bit of research/effort/care) whose poor kids end up suffering, and grow up broken and continue the cycle.

-I assume you've had a pelvic ultrasound before, and if Nabothian cysts are the only thing that came up then I'm pretty confident you have a structurally sound uterus and functional ovaries.

Having said all that, it may be worthwhile for you just to be aware of what assisted reproduction services are available to you in your area and how much things will cost/timeline of certain procedures if you do need to have anything done. But try not to stress about it until you actually do need it--i.e. give yourself at least 6 months to a year of seeing what your body does, play around with the ovulation strips or whatever, and don't force your sex life on to a schedule. Be kind to yourself lady, you're going to need it for this epic journey towards parenthood and beyond :)

e: I think I remember hearing vaguely that pregnancy causes a mild state of immune-suppression in the body in and of itself, otherwise your body would treat the growing gestational sac+baby as a foreign invader and attack it. I wonder how that'll affect your autoimmune condition, or whether the autoimmune condition may make it more difficult to conceive? Without knowing what you've got it's hard to say.

nyerf fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 20, 2013

AltruisticNemesis
Nov 7, 2007
tra la la
(and everyone else)

You're gunna make me cry :3
Nice people on the internet makes me smile.

One of my autoimmune diseases is Behcet's, which can be genetic or not. When I had my bloodwork done after I got super sick the last time they said I did not have the genetic form, which is more aggressive. And my gastroenterologist says Crohn's (which is number two) is about as likely to show up in the kid as any of the other things out there (autism, IBD, diabetes, etc.) Girls and twins run in my family, so I am prepared for that.
My (step)sisters have 3 kids (in 2 years) between the two of them, and all of them "whoopsies". Only one of the kids don't have a legitimate father (as sister does not know who planted the seed- and the prospects are all in jail). I was a "whoospie" baby and my mother took an awful long time (2-3 months) to stop the coke and meth, but never stopped the smoking/drinking. I try to give all the shits when it comes to babbys, and I just want to do things right, unlike how my family does it.

I've had an ultrasound, though it was 5 or so years ago when my IUD fell inside of me. Post removal I had severe pain and bleeding so they wanted to make sure I was all intact. Apparently the ultrasound was unremarkable so that's good.

Regarding autoimmunes and pregnancy, my doctor states that usually only a 1/3 see true remission during pregnancy, but 50% see a decrease in symptoms. And 15%(ish) go into remission for years. I've weighed all my options and the pain and symptoms are worth the pitterpattering of my lovable potential crotch-spawn.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Hello soon going to be pregnant goons, I need to ask a big favor from all of you. I'm currently finishing up my undergrad degree by completing a massive internship at a local hospital's midwifery clinic. One of my projects is creating a film to educate individuals on preterm delivery. It would be a big big help if you could please fill out either of these surveys. They're each very short and shouldn't take more than 5 minutes at the super very most.

If you have never given birth prematurely (before 37 weeks), please fill out this survey!

If you have given birth prematurely (before 37 weeks), please fill out this survey:

Thanks so much for doing this, it'll be a huge help and can seriously help me graduate. It will hopefully also help mothers in the state of Georgia deliver their babies at a healthy age! If any mod disapproves of this I can remove it but I thought it would be topical in the Parenting, Pregnancy, and Gettin' Knocked Up threads.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Just a heads up, did you get mod approval for this? They generally frown on people posting unapproved surveys.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Got a scare last night. My wife is on progesterone suppositories, baby aspirin, and omega 3, and last night her suppository applicator was bloody and she had some spotting overnight. We assumed the worst that this was the start of another miscarriage. Our fertility specialist is just a few minutes from home so this morning we landed at her office as it opened and the doctor took us right in and did an ultrasound.

There's a healthy 1.01cm 7W1D bean in there. The spotting is most likely caused by the cervix getting irritated by the progesterone and the anti-clotting aspirin and omega 3 will thin the blood out even more.

We're very glad it was a false alarm. We have weekly ultrasounds for one doctor or another over the next 5 weeks so at least we'll be well informed.

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
I'm glad that things are progressing well, Canuckistan!

I got my first barely there positive this morning. To be honest, I was surprised. I missed my last period, and my husband was out of the state the two weeks surrounding ovulation. I figured that there was no chance at it happening this month, yet there the test sits with two lines!

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

Congrats jota!

Canukistan: Glad it was a false alarm. I had crazy bleeding from a couple of different sources in the early part of this pregnancy and it was terrifying after my previous loss but the weekly ultrasounds I had for a month during it really helped. By the third one I was even able to go into them without being certain something would be wrong with the baby. Hopefully they'll be reassuring for you and your wife as well.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

jota23 posted:

I'm glad that things are progressing well, Canuckistan!

I got my first barely there positive this morning. To be honest, I was surprised. I missed my last period, and my husband was out of the state the two weeks surrounding ovulation. I figured that there was no chance at it happening this month, yet there the test sits with two lines!

Yay Jota! Congrats!

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

I would love a child with my husband, and I know stressing out isn't going to help. But everyone I know who has a kid had it by accident by failing to take their pill or by being all floosy like. Sorry for all the crazy and all the questions. I just feel lost and alone.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I don't know about all the other medication stuff but everything I read when trying to conceive said that it could take quite a few months for things to swing back into place after being on the pill for a long time.

I just found information from the American Society for Reproductive Medicine that says their research shows that, while stress can delay or (in uncommon circumstances) prevent ovulation for a cycle, stress does not decrease your fertility in general. Having been told over and over "you're just making it worse" and seeing every woman telling every other woman that her infertility is in part her own fault because of stress (which does not make things any easier), this came as a huge relief to me. HUGE relief. So, rest assured that trying to conceive is stressful, but being stressed out isn't making it worse. That feedback loop of awful can end.

http://www.asrm.org/Stress_and_Infertility_factsheet/

Here's another article showing how weak the link is:

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2011/11/stress_and_infertility_the_weak_link_between_them.html

Also, the pill can actually increase fertility the month or two after you first get off. It doesn't always take a long time for the body to re-adjust. The pill hormones leave pretty quickly, and most women should slide back in to normal relatively quickly. For some women, sure, it can take longer to conceive, but birth control pills are used frequently in fertility treatments to regulate things before trying again right afterwards.

I don't have as good a reference for "the pill can actually help" but here is the about.com page with more information about the myth linking the pill and infertility:
http://infertility.about.com/b/2011/04/26/myth-birth-control-pills-cause-infertility.htm

And here's an article from Parenting.com: http://www.parenting.com/article/can-the-pill-boost-fertility
And one from dailymail: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-140198/Fertility-boosted-years-Pill.html

The last three months have been pretty hellish for me, but the first fact, in particular, is very comforting. Thank you, science, for beginning the end of that horrible myth.

Something Positive
Jan 10, 2010

MOTHER MOTHER MOTHER MOTHER MOTHER MOTHER MOTHERMOTHERMOTHER MOOOOTTTHHHEEERRRR
I and fellow goon Spiffster are getting married in late June. Since I have a stable job and we're in the process of looking for a house, we are seriously considering attempting to start a family in the next few months. I've started taking Kroger brand prenatal vitamins, are there any other supplements worth taking or anything else I should be doing?

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Something Positive posted:

I and fellow goon Spiffster are getting married in late June. Since I have a stable job and we're in the process of looking for a house, we are seriously considering attempting to start a family in the next few months. I've started taking Kroger brand prenatal vitamins, are there any other supplements worth taking or anything else I should be doing?

get a physical and a referral to an OBGYN.

PoliSciGirl
Feb 22, 2010
I'm getting my implanon taken out tomorrow. I have pcos and will probably be going on metformin to help with my weight. My insurance says I will have to officially be trying a year before I can go on fertility drugs for them to pay for it. Even though my obgyn says there's a 99% probability I won't get pregnant without drugs. Wish us luck!

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.

Something Positive posted:

If you need any dental work, you probably want to go ahead and do it. Pregnancy is really hard on teeth.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

ghost story posted:

If you need any dental work, you probably want to go ahead and do it. Pregnancy is really hard on teeth.

huh?

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Some of the hormonal changes during pregnancy can increase the risk of developing gum disease. Additionally, a lot of dentists aren't really thrilled about working on pregnant women, so either way it's good to get everything taken care of before you get pregnant and then hopefully not have to worry about it during the actual pregnancy. Get your annual cleaning done, fix any loose fillings rather than waiting to lose it entirely when you're hugely pregnant, etc.

grapey
Oct 10, 2012
This is random, but I have to share with somebody--I got a faint second line on my ovulation prediction thingy! This is huge because thanks to my polycystic ovary syndrome I haven't ovulated in probably two years. Thank you metformin! And I also thank myself for losing 20 pounds :)

Now back to condoms so I don't get knocked up before gastric bypass (I hope!!)

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Fionnoula posted:

Some of the hormonal changes during pregnancy can increase the risk of developing gum disease. Additionally, a lot of dentists aren't really thrilled about working on pregnant women, so either way it's good to get everything taken care of before you get pregnant and then hopefully not have to worry about it during the actual pregnancy. Get your annual cleaning done, fix any loose fillings rather than waiting to lose it entirely when you're hugely pregnant, etc.

Good to know. Thanks!

On the pregnancy front here, wifey has been feeling pretty blah with an upset stomach for days. Not really morning sickness but just an uggy feeling. She's never had morning sickness, ever, so we're thinking this could be another symptom of the progesterone she's taking.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
How quickly after conception can the pregnancy show up on a test?

Sliff
Feb 23, 2013

Affi posted:

How quickly after conception can the pregnancy show up on a test?

Depends on the test you use, some say 3-5 days, but most I've seen is 6-12 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
Sperm can live in you for several days before implanting, so keep that in mind. It's really not # of days after sex as much as the number of days before your period should come.

edit: as to the above post, to clarify, I've never seen a test that specifies a number of days after sex. There is no test that can tell you 3-5 days after sex. You're probably thinking of 3-5 days before the next period is expected to come, when some people do test pregnant (I did!)

Ben Davis fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 2, 2013

• Locked thread