Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Sweeper posted:

what the gently caress

thank you for saying this so i didn't have to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Sweeper posted:

what the gently caress
"i need to define a function that accepts an argument of type T, how do i get the compatible argument type"

fyi famdav i worked with a really smart guy at realnetworks who would show candidates an obscurely named template for compile-time factorial calculations and ask what it did. this is an example of the kind of question you should not ask unless you want to hire architecture astronauts

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

imo that question's fine as long as the correct answer, upon being faced with a template, is to get up and walk out the door

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Sweeper posted:

what the gently caress

type traits own bones and make c++ enjoyable.

Gazpacho posted:

fyi famdav i worked with a really smart guy at realnetworks who would show candidates an obscurely named template for compile-time factorial calculations and ask what it did. this is an example of the kind of question you should not ask unless you want to hire architecture astronauts

template factorial is boring. i'd rather have them write an insertion sort for typelists.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Werthog 95 posted:

imo that question's fine as long as the correct answer, upon being faced with a template, is to get up and walk out the door

"you guys use templates? heh gotta go!"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
you really shouldn't ask about anything in c++11 imo, just focus on the concept of memory because that's where noobs cause the most trouble

like declare a struct type that contains a large fixed size array and then a function that takes that struct as an argument by value and sorts the array, then ask what is wrong and stupid about it

or maybe the tried and true "returning address to local var" question

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

Gazpacho posted:

you really shouldn't ask about anything in c++11 imo, just focus on the concept of memory because that's where noobs cause the most trouble

like declare a struct type that contains a large fixed size array and then a function that takes that struct as an argument by value and sorts the array, then ask what is wrong and stupid about it

or maybe the tried and true "returning address to local var" question

if the applicant has described themselves as "c++ (expert)" then I think its safe to ask obscure questions. the person is either a liar who you don't want, or Alexandrescu who will be able to answer correctly.

if they had said "beginner" or "intermediate" then yeah you should go over more fundamental stuff

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
ask them to explain the static keyword (in all of its uses :unsmigghh:)

and auto

and register

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
ask him to explain the c++03 cast modes which is subtle and at the same time generally useful

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
last c++ expert I interviewed couldn't tell me the difference between the stack and the heap

btw, book chat while I'm away from my books is just mean

anyway, practice of programming by Kernighan and Pike, is the best book.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
any actual c/c++ expert would know not to call himself a c/c++ expert

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Jerry SanDisky posted:

if the applicant has described themselves as "c++ (expert)" then I think its safe to ask obscure questions. the person is either a liar who you don't want, or Alexandrescu who will be able to answer correctly.
i disagree with this, interview time is too precious to spend it playing "gotcha" over something that doesn't have a plausible connection with company business

also like tef points out it's very common for people to pass themselves off as "expert c++ experienced professonals" whose knowledge is at the level needed to get through undergrad data structures

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 20, 2013

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
looking at his resume, he's probably going to be more of a data analyst and work on the light models for our traffic team. i was just really surprised because i've yet to get someone who called themselves a c++ expert considering we advertise for experienced c++ engineers.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

JewKiller 3000 posted:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

JewKiller 3000 posted:

If school taught me anything, it's that you learn you don't know poo poo.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

ratbert90 posted:

If school taught me anything, it's that you learn you don't know poo poo.

the purpose of an undergrad degree is to demonstrate to the student that after 12 years of primary school and 4 years of university exactly how little they know.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

JewKiller 3000 posted:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

a strange language. the only best practice is not to use it

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

rotor posted:

the purpose of an undergrad degree is to demonstrate to the student that after 12 years of primary school and 4 years of university exactly how little they know.

oh good my school did a great job then

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

ratbert90 posted:

If yospos taught me anything, it's that I don't know poo poo.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

tef posted:

last c++ expert I interviewed couldn't tell me the difference between the stack and the heap

i took an intro to java training class at sun (many moons ago), and it was loving awesome. there was all kinds of remedial stuff i didn't know, like actually understanding binary math, and stack/heap stuff :allears:

i took a second training class and tried to get the same teacher, but apparently they have a policy against letting you do that; they're afraid of stalkers :(

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
i wish the java 8 compiler was actually capable of compiling code because i want to use it.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

JewKiller 3000 posted:

c++ experts dont take jobs writing c++

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

i wish the java 8 compiler was actually capable of compiling code because i want to use it.

haha

I have eclipse setup to show latest changed compiler bugs in eclipse's jira and there's activity there all right

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

i'm not entirely convinced that the dudes working on the jdk are actually able to compile anything because they sure aren't testing it all
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/lambda/lambda/jdk/rev/0240eb498913
let me just put these instance methods into a class nobody can instantiate...

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

prefect posted:

i took an intro to java training class at sun (many moons ago), and it was loving awesome. there was all kinds of remedial stuff i didn't know, like actually understanding binary math, and stack/heap stuff :allears:

i took a second training class and tried to get the same teacher, but apparently they have a policy against letting you do that; they're afraid of stalkers :(

back when my brother played baseball, you couldn't ask for your kid to get on a particular coach's team, but you could request to not get a coach. So every parent got a list of all the coaches and submitted a list of (N-1) coaches they refused.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

The tone of this topic is not in line with the civil level of discourse I'd like to maintain here, so I cannot respond.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
this is what happens when we raise snowflakes on ipads

quote:

When 13-year-old Tahoe native Logan LaPlant takes the stage for his TEDx talk at the University of Nevada, what follows are 11 minutes of eloquent, confident wisdom on his style of education, which he calls ?hackschooling.? Here’s a sample:

I’m not tied to one particular curriculum, and I’m not dedicated to one particular approach. I hack my education. I take advantages of opportunities in my community and through a network of my friends and family. I take advantage of opportunities to experience what I’m learning, and I’m not afraid to look for shortcuts or hacks to get a better, faster result. It’s like a remix or a mashup of learning. ? And here’s the cool part: because it’s a mindset, not a system, hackschooling can be used by anyone, even traditional schools.

He touts the virtues of having the hacker mindset:

A lot of people think of hackers as geeky computer nerds who live in their parents’ basement and spread computer viruses, but I don’t see it that way. Hackers are innovators. Hacker are people who challenge and change the systems to make them work differently, to make them work better. It’s just how they think, it’s a mindset.

I’m growing up in a world that needs more people with the hacker mindset, and not just for technology. Everything is up for being hacked, even skiing, even education. So whether it’s Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg, or Shane McConkey, having the hacker mindset can change the world?.

give this kid a swirlie asap

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
hey tef this is the sort of thing I was talking about re python community and drama

tldr apparently some guys at a python conference had a slide with some non-sexist-but-still-sexual nerdjokes about forking and dongles, and not only got thrown out of the conference but got fired from their jobs

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

good

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Internaut! posted:

hey tef this is the sort of thing I was talking about re python community and drama

tldr apparently some guys at a python conference had a slide with some non-sexist-but-still-sexual nerdjokes about forking and dongles, and not only got thrown out of the conference but got fired from their jobs

jesus, toddlers

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Internaut! posted:

any link to the slide, sort of curious, the internets idea of what is "not sexist" is a funny ol' thing

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

any link to the slide, sort of curious, the internets idea of what is "not sexist" is a funny ol' thing

There were no slides, two guys sitting in the audience shared a private joke about "big dongles". They were evesdropped, photographed, publicly shamed and one guy was fired.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Forking and dongles (as words or puns) do not seem that bad on their own -- at least not worth getting kicked out and losing your job for. There has to be more context or a way that it was done to explain things that wasn't conveyed in the tweet or something.

I mean there would be a difference between a manchild chuckling at "male to female connectors" in a discussion about cables and adapters and said manchild turning the discussion in a terribly lovely pick-up line and targeting it at someone, for example.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Zombywuf posted:

There were no slides, two guys sitting in the audience shared a private joke about "big dongles". They were evesdropped, photographed, publicly shamed and one guy was fired.

having real trouble caring or being terribly entertained by this story at this rate. conferences is a weird phenomena in tyool 2013.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
never going to a conference in paralyzing fear that i may accidentally let my guard down and not check my privilege

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

MononcQc posted:

Forking and dongles (as words or puns) do not seem that bad on their own -- at least not worth getting kicked out and losing your job for. There has to be more context or a way that it was done to explain things that wasn't conveyed in the tweet or something.

I mean there would be a difference between a manchild chuckling at "male to female connectors" in a discussion about cables and adapters and said manchild turning the discussion in a terribly lovely pick-up line and targeting it at someone, for example.

There don't appear to be anyone claiming anything along these lines. All sexual humour at a conference is apparently now verboten in case someone overhears it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

MononcQc posted:

I mean there would be a difference between a manchild chuckling at "male to female connectors" in a discussion about cables and adapters and said manchild turning the discussion in a terribly lovely pick-up line, for example.

i really hope that when i move to a bigcity market that it isn't a whole bunch of check-your-privilege sjw tumblrtalk at work, i'm super glad you're a TWoC but i just want to deliver the project. can we chat about your struggles when we're not under deadline