Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thornghost
Oct 11, 2010

I have a picture of me with GRRM. He looks less than enthused.

Brandon Sanderson is getting the same reputation as that nerd in highschool that would do everyone else's homework for them. He's just this shy little Mormon kid that's really good at writing and everyone takes advantage of that.

"Yo Brandon, I've gotta play write about football until I die. You don't mind finishing up my series do ya? Just don't forget to write my name on it when you're done."

"S-sure, George. T-thanks buddy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
I read the first book of Locke Lamore and my conclusion is that Scott Lynch has really weird prose. Just reading the first paragraph of the first book will give you an idea of what it's like.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

thornghost posted:

Brandon Sanderson is getting the same reputation as that nerd in highschool that would do everyone else's homework for them. He's just this shy little Mormon kid that's really good at writing and everyone takes advantage of that.

"Yo Brandon, I've gotta play write about football until I die. You don't mind finishing up my series do ya? Just don't forget to write my name on it when you're done."

The poor kid will be so confused and horrified when he gets GRRM's notes on Dany/Sansa/Arya.

stawk Archer
Jun 19, 2004

by angerbot
I don't care about the plot changes in the show so much except for the Dany chapters. A big problem in the show is that book 3 has a lot of over the top, Robert E. Howard inspired grandiosity that isn't going to look good on the screen.
Then again, they made the wall look closer to how I pictured it than anything else, so who knows.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Sanderson writing Dany is something I'd be fine with. In fact, it'd be a huge loving improvement if it meant no more god-awfully written orgies. I will miss the poo poo fountains though.

Only problem with Sanderson is that he's not exactly great with characterization when it's not the main characters he's writing.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

thornghost posted:

"And where is the first draft of Winds of Winter?"

"Well it's almost done..."

"Hello? Hello? Anybody home? Huh? Think, Butthead. Think! I gotta have time to get them typed up on my WordStar. Do you realize what would happen if I hand in my manuscript in docx? I'd be humiliated. You wouldn't want that to happen, would ya? Would ya?"

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

thornghost posted:

pre:
               Gurm
     And where's my novel?

Brandon
     Uh, well, I haven't finished that up yet, but you know I
     figured since HBO won't need it till-

Gurm
     Hello, hello, anybody home? 

Gurm knocks on the top of Brandon's head.

Think, Sanderson, think. I gotta have time
     to get it re-typed. Do you realize what would happen if I hand in my draft in your
     handwriting? I'll get fired. You wouldn't want that to happen would you?

Would you?

Brandon
     Of course not, Gurm, now I wouldn't want that to happen. 
     Now, uh, I'll finish that draft up tonight, and I'll run it on over first thing 
     tomorrow, alright?

Gurm
     Hey, not too early I sleep in on Sunday. 
     Oh, Sanderson, your shoe's untied. 

Gurm flicks Brandon's nose up with a buffalo wing.

Don't be so gullible, Sanderson.
e: fb :smith:

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 19, 2013

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

SpaceMost posted:

pre:
               Gurm
     And where's my novel?

Brandon
     Uh, well, I haven't finished that up yet, but you know I
     figured since HBO won't need it till-

Gurm
     Hello, hello, anybody home? 

Gurm knocks on the top of Brandon's head.

Think, Sanderson, think. I gotta have time
     to get it re-typed. Do you realize what would happen if I hand in my draft in your
     handwriting? I'll get fired. You wouldn't want that to happen would you?

Would you?

Brandon
     Of course not, Gurm, now I wouldn't want that to happen. 
     Now, uh, I'll finish that draft up tonight, and I'll run it on over first thing 
     tomorrow, alright?

Gurm
     Hey, not too early I sleep in on Sunday. 
     Oh, Sanderson, your shoe's untied. 

Gurm flicks Brandon's nose up with a buffalo wing.

Don't be so gullible, Sanderson.
e: fb :smith:

Take heart that your writing rate exceeds the GRRM.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

That is baller that both of you went there.

Contra Calculus posted:

I read the first book of Locke Lamore and my conclusion is that Scott Lynch has really weird prose. Just reading the first paragraph of the first book will give you an idea of what it's like.

That first page is still one of the worst ones in both books. From there it's like 90% awesome, with the occasional stilted parts.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The Princess Bride cut up with A Game of Thrones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFOXCfoKO1k

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Blind Sally posted:

The Princess Bride cut up with A Game of Thrones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFOXCfoKO1k

"Hold it, hold it. What is this? Are you trying to trick me? Where's the sports? Is this a raping book?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fPgIIB67bw

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

SaviourX posted:

That first page is still one of the worst ones in both books. From there it's like 90% awesome, with the occasional stilted parts.

Right at the end of book one is still one of the most "gently caress yeah!" moments in any book I've ever read. You know what I'm talking about. I thought Lies was pretty cool but that absolutely cemented it for me that I needed the sequel.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

The Gurm is flirting instead of writing...

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
So clammy.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Speaking of clammy palms, how goes the Clash of Cocks writing, Wildcards?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

clammier than a trencher of sister stew.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

Hey, I've decided that I need to read the Dunk and Egg novellas.

I don't want to buy three books full of other poo poo. How can I get all three novellas easily without the cluttershit?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
You can't, legally.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
try a library!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I've got mine plotted, but no finished chapters yet I'm afraid.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Wait until the compilation with the yet-to-be-published fourth novella releases.

It should come out a year or so after TWOW.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

whowhatwhere posted:

You can't, legally.

This is correct.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

How many libraries have all three collections the stories appeared in? I'd wager very few.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Most libraries at least have Dreamsongs 1 & 2, what with all the publishing push for Grum and all.

Clash of Kinks: I've been working off my red title, I should have some decent outlines/ideas soon.

PS - Yo arbite, I'm gonna be in Cowtown on Saturday, where are the lemoniest lemoncakes and/or aurochs wings?

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

whowhatwhere posted:

You can't, legally.

True for everything this thread is about.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

whowhatwhere posted:

How many libraries have all three collections the stories appeared in? I'd wager very few.

Yeah but what library doesn't have ILL? Even now that libraries have no budgets.

I totally thought about writing mine yesterday, then I didn't.

thornghost
Oct 11, 2010

I have a picture of me with GRRM. He looks less than enthused.

In case there was some small, secret part of you that still had an inkling of hope that the absolute fucker might finish the series, here's some news that will crush that:

GRRM signs a 2 year deal with HBO to do different projects!

I'm hoping for a Tuf Voyaging miniseries myself! Imaging the drama of a fat man sitting in space making psychic cats! Oh, or perhaps we'll see a retelling of The Pear Shaped Man!

EDIT:

This just in! Reaction from Brandon Sanderson!

thornghost fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 20, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Oh no, BrandSand will have to finish ASoIaF inbetween the seventy other novels he's working on at the same time, whatever will he do with the buckets of money publishers pay him (other than tithe it to the LDS church and feel shame whenever they use his forture to launch another campaign of hatred) :ohdear:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh no, BrandSand will have to finish ASoIaF inbetween the seventy other novels he's working on at the same time, whatever will he do with the buckets of money publishers pay him (other than tithe it to the LDS church and feel shame whenever they use his forture to launch another campaign of hatred) :ohdear:

Who says he doesn't agree with them?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

whowhatwhere posted:

Who says he doesn't agree with them?

He said that.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, because he hosed off to do The Hobbit and got recast out of that, too, so now he's on Spartacus, I think? If that's even still on.

It's still on and you should watch it, it's super awesome and the ballsiest show on TV. Gannicus and Lugo forever!

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

thornghost posted:

In case there was some small, secret part of you that still had an inkling of hope that the absolute fucker might finish the series, here's some news that will crush that:

GRRM signs a 2 year deal with HBO to do different projects!

I'm hoping for a Tuf Voyaging miniseries myself! Imaging the drama of a fat man sitting in space making psychic cats! Oh, or perhaps we'll see a retelling of The Pear Shaped Man!
It's the Tales of Dunk and Egg:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xbHuMv6jSE
"lighter in tone": "HE HIT A ROYAL PRINCE? CUT HIS HANDS!"

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 20, 2013

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

:fap:

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
hmm what character could grrm play in season 3

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The slaver Dany "trades" Drogo to in exchange for the Unsullied. Only this time, it's not one of her dragons he wants...

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Dead Man Posting posted:

hmm what character could grrm play in season 3

The newest trainee at Littlefinger's whorehouse.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
The bear Jaime and Brienne fight is just GRRM in a fursuit. It is why he was so insistent on writing that episode.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

In It For The Tank posted:

The bear Jaime and Brienne fight is just GRRM in a fursuit. It is why he was so insistent on writing that episode.

A fursuit he already had.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
He will play a literal interpretation of Gregor "The Mountain that Rapes" Clegane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Tuf Voyaging would make a fantastic miniseries. It would also cost a fuckton of money in SFX.