Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

Cactus Jack posted:

I don't understand why they are dumping so much money on this lovely gimmick.

Just part of the "refuses to debut" gimmick. The more attention he gets and the more he doesn't wrestle, the more heat he gets. In theory anyway.

Personally I think he's going to have the most elaborate Wrestlemania entrance ever. Showgirls, lasers, balloons, confetti, pyro, fire, tigers jumping through hoops - the whole nine yards.

And then he still refuses to compete because it's too cold or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Can we all at least agree that Bray Wyatt is the best gimmick in wrestling right now?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The only way to beat him is to handcuff him to a sinking houseboat.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Gonz posted:

The only way to beat him is to handcuff him to a sinking houseboat.
You know I love his current theme, but would not mind them playing Fantomas' cover of the Cape Fear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHnillBfvy8

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

achillesforever6 posted:

You know I love his current theme, but would not mind them playing Fantomas' cover of the Cape Fear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHnillBfvy8

Nah, his current theme is just subtle and creepy enough. This is too grand and obvious.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

VogeGandire posted:

Can we all at least agree that Bray Wyatt is the best gimmick in wrestling right now?

I hope to God that's the same rocking chair Crazy Vince McMahon used during his feud with Bobby Lashley :allears:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Jerusalem posted:

I hope to God that's the same rocking chair Crazy Vince McMahon used during his feud with Bobby Lashley :allears:

WWE doesn't throw poo poo out. They still have the Thunder set.

You bet it is.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

"Nobody move, I've lost a contact!"

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Upon first glance when I was scrolling down I thought this was Funaki vs. DH Smith

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

It's 2013 Takayama... this strat doesn't work!!!

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

HulkaMatt posted:

It's 2013 Takayama... this strat doesn't work!!!

Takayama and Frye again? When and where I wanna see.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Where is this and where do I watch it immediately? Tanahashi's hair tells me it's recent.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Christopher Irvine posted:

Where is this and where do I watch it immediately? Tanahashi's hair tells me it's recent.

Tanahashi vs Devitt from the recent 41st Anniversary show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GswVKh5SCA

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

njsykora posted:

Is that Ricardo taking the photo?

I thought that was mc chris.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Frye, the chap with the nice tache is a wrestler?

The only thing I've seen him in before was a starring role in the final (until they start up again soon) Godzilla film! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla:_Final_Wars

The more you know.

Edit: VVV Thanks for that, looked rather a fun fight for everyone other than the participants at least! Knowing what his background is it helps explain his hilariously bad great acting in the aforementioned film.

Fazana fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Mar 20, 2013

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Fazana posted:

Frye, the chap with the nice tache is a wrestler?

The only thing I've seen him in before was a starring role in the final (until they start up again soon) Godzilla film! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla:_Final_Wars

The more you know.

He's a wrestler and a fight man. Here is Frye and fellow wrestler/fightman Yoshihiro Takayama in a short fight that turned into a hockey brawl.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df5Z-3cIMNA Might be :nms:

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Cactus Jack posted:

I don't understand why they are dumping so much money on this lovely gimmick.

Why is everyone assuming they're dropping huge amounts of money? He's done videos for months, he has some fireworks, and he's a in a three-minute segment each week. How is that much different from anyone else?

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

OmegaBR posted:

Just part of the "refuses to debut" gimmick. The more attention he gets and the more he doesn't wrestle, the more heat he gets. In theory anyway.

Personally I think he's going to have the most elaborate Wrestlemania entrance ever. Showgirls, lasers, balloons, confetti, pyro, fire, tigers jumping through hoops - the whole nine yards.

And then he still refuses to compete because it's too cold or something.

I understand the gimmick, and the point of it, but they are getting the wrong kind of heat from it. Go Away heat is not good and doesn't make WWE or Johnny Curtis any money. If people tune out during your segments because they do not want to see you that is a bad thing.

Phenix Rising posted:

Why is everyone assuming they're dropping huge amounts of money? He's done videos for months, he has some fireworks, and he's a in a three-minute segment each week. How is that much different from anyone else?

I don't think it is some huge amount of money, it isn't like ADR's gimmick with the cars every week. I just don't understand why they are spending any money on doing this stuff for a dumb gimmick that doesn't have much chance of succeeding. I guess this might work out if Johnny Curtis is some amazing worker and then you are like "Oh that is funny, he didn't want to debut and wrestle but he's actually a great wrestler!" but they've done it for too long and I don't think Johnny Curtis is going to be some super wrestler that gets this thing over.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Stopped reading when you said "wrong kind of heat"

Most new heels with gimmicks get cold reactions to start.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

VogeGandire posted:

We can only hope Vince doesn't figure out what Duck Dynasty is before they call Bray up again.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

VogeGandire posted:

I'd like to think Bray Wyatt is what Waylon Mercy would've been, had he not suffered a back injury. Such a creepy, engrossing character, like the Jake Roberts of New Orleans or something.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Stopped reading when you said "wrong kind of heat"

Most new heels with gimmicks get cold reactions to start.

There is such a thing as bad heat, much like there is such a thing as bad publicity.

So instead of coming up with a good character and booking it correctly, lets make people wish the guy would get off of their televisions? Maybe I'm wrong and people will actually want to see him get beat up instead of just turning to something else while his segment is on. It's a silly lower midcarder gimmick so I don't know why I even care.

Cactus Jack fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 20, 2013

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I like this one. This one is violent and successful.

Hailey Hatred.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Cactus Jack posted:

There is such a thing as bad heat, much like there is such a thing as bad publicity.

So instead of coming up with a good character and booking it correctly, lets make people wish the guy would get off of their televisions? Maybe I'm wrong and people will actually want to see him get beat up instead of just turning to something else while his segment is on. It's a silly lower midcarder gimmick so I don't know why I even care.

Fandango's getting good heat though so I don't know what the hell you're even going on about. He comes out, then the bait and switch comes and he decides he's not going to wrestle that night and the crowd starts booing. That's not go away heat, that's plain old "heel doing his job of making people hate him" heat.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Suben posted:

Fandango's getting good heat though so I don't know what the hell you're even going on about. He comes out, then the bait and switch comes and he decides he's not going to wrestle that night and the crowd starts booing. That's not go away heat, that's plain old "heel doing his job of making people hate him" heat.

BOOOOOO YOU REFUSE TO WRESTLE IN FRONT OF US AND INSTEAD YOU ARE LEAVING THE ARENA, BOOOOOOOOOO

"I guess they are telling him to go away."

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

3MB, take notice. THIS is how you air guitar.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Suben posted:

The "not wrestling tonight" thing is fine for now but it will get stale if no one starts trying to give him his comeuppance.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Anderson Silva does not care for discussions in the picture thread.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

TenaciousJ posted:

The "not wrestling tonight" thing is fine for now but it will get stale if no one starts trying to give him his comeuppance.

You cannot possibly expect the not wrestling tonight thing to continue in perpetuity, right? Obviously someone will eventually get him to wrestle.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

flashy_mcflash posted:

You cannot possibly expect the not wrestling tonight thing to continue in perpetuity, right? Obviously someone will eventually get him to wrestle.

It's about time someone did that or at least threatened it. I have in fact watched wrestling before.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

coconono posted:

See, Brazilian MMA people? You don't all have to do horse steroids to be great.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

coconono posted:

Had to do a double take because I thought this was Boogeyman trying out some new paint and gear.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

TenaciousJ posted:

It's about time someone did that or at least threatened it. I have in fact watched wrestling before.

Why is it time already? He's getting decent heat for it and people are talking about the angle. Are you really clamoring for him to wrap up the part of the character that's getting this attention so he can be in meaningless matches with Brodus and Jodi on Saturday Morning Slam?

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Suben posted:

good heel heat is heel heat that draws money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Ehh, just Suzuki's Army chilling out.