Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Been taking a break from Django for a while in order to learn more about Python and Javascript. In the meanwhile, I played with Flask, and I have to say, holy poo poo it's awesome. Part of me wants to switch my main application over to Flask, but I feel like it's probably better to stick it out and finish with Django.

I just deployed a fairly small flask app with SQLAlchemy, flask-restless, and custom-rolled LDAP user auth with flask-login where most of the work is done through javascript talking to the REST API and it worked nicely. I also tried doing the same type of pattern on an app with a larger API and more views and I fell back into Django + Django REST Framework because REST Framework is awesome when you start doing things besides just exposing Models and because even if you take advantage of blueprints, breaking up Flask apps didn't really click with me. Ended up in decorator soup with lots of circular dependencies between modules. It may be possible to have a largish app in Flask, but the docs don't seem to point you in a very helpful direction (it mainly says "use blueprints, break into modules, extend the Flask object if you have to"). I'd love to see if other people are having success with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?
Speaking of django-rest-framework (which I also recommend), any idea how to get it to actually do a drat PATCH? It triggers the patch() method on my view (which extends generics.RetrieveUpdateDestroyAPIView, like it should), but when it gets to the `serializer.object.save()` step, it always bitches about the ID already existing.

Obviously I know it exists, that's why I'm trying to update it....

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Got a traceback?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Has anyone using Travis received this error:

code:
raise ImportError("Could not import settings '%s' (Is it on sys.path?): %s" % (self.SETTINGS_MODULE, e))
    ImportError: Could not import settings 'myapp.settings' (Is it on sys.path?): No module named myapp.settings
I'm about at my wit's end here after trying everything. The worst thing is that my builds started failing after changing a text file, so I intuit that something undocumented must have happened on Travis's end.

It's gone one for over a month or something at this point, and I'm still none the wiser.

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?

ufarn posted:

Got a traceback?

https://gist.github.com/kennethlove/5078396

ufarn
May 30, 2009
For some reason, the Group model does not have an object manager. :psyduck:

code:
>>> Group.objects.all()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<console>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/manager.py", line 219, in __get__
    raise AttributeError("Manager isn't accessible via %s instances" % type.__name__)
AttributeError: Manager isn't accessible via Group instances
In light of that, what is the best way to implement an InlineModelAdmin to display the M2M users in a Group?

Single Group objects do have a .user_set.all() attribute, but I need to retrieve the objects first.

EDIT: It has a manager, but it is inaccessible.

So, it appears I can access all users with Group.user_set (not .all()):

code:
>>> dir(Group)
['DoesNotExist', 'MultipleObjectsReturned', '__class__', '__delattr__', '__dict__',
'__doc__', '__eq__', '__format__', '__getattribute__', '__hash__', '__init__',
'__metaclass__', '__module__', '__ne__', '__new__', '__reduce__', '__reduce_ex__',
'__repr__', '__setattr__', '__sizeof__', '__str__', '__subclasshook__', '__unicode__',
'__weakref__', '_base_manager', '_default_manager', '_deferred',
'_get_FIELD_display', '_get_next_or_previous_by_FIELD',
'_get_next_or_previous_in_order', '_get_pk_val', '_get_unique_checks', '_meta',
'_perform_date_checks', '_perform_unique_checks', '_set_pk_val', '_state', 'clean',
'clean_fields', 'date_error_message', 'delete', 'full_clean', 'id', 'name', 'natural_key',
'objects', 'permissions', 'pk', 'prepare_database_save', 'save', 'save_base',
'serializable_value', 'unique_error_message', 'user_set', 'validate_unique']
But writing something like this keeps throwing errors:

Python code:
class GroupMembersInline(admin.TabularInline):
    model = Group.user_set
code:

[code]
>>> Group.objects.all()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<console>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/manager.py", line 219, in __get__
    raise AttributeError("Manager isn't accessible via %s instances" % type.__name__)
In light of that, what is the best way to implement an InlineModelAdmin to display the M2M users in a Group?

Single Group objects do have a .user_set.all() attribute, but I need to retrieve the objects first.

EDIT: It has a manager, but it is inaccessible.

So, it appears I can access all users with Group.user_set (not .all()):

code:
>>> dir(Group)
['DoesNotExist', 'MultipleObjectsReturned', '__class__', '__delattr__', '__dict__',
'__doc__', '__eq__', '__format__', '__getattribute__', '__hash__', '__init__',
'__metaclass__', '__module__', '__ne__', '__new__', '__reduce__', '__reduce_ex__',
'__repr__', '__setattr__', '__sizeof__', '__str__', '__subclasshook__', '__unicode__',
'__weakref__', '_base_manager', '_default_manager', '_deferred',
'_get_FIELD_display', '_get_next_or_previous_by_FIELD',
'_get_next_or_previous_in_order', '_get_pk_val', '_get_unique_checks', '_meta',
'_perform_date_checks', '_perform_unique_checks', '_set_pk_val', '_state', 'clean',
'clean_fields', 'date_error_message', 'delete', 'full_clean', 'id', 'name', 'natural_key',
'objects', 'permissions', 'pk', 'prepare_database_save', 'save', 'save_base',
'serializable_value', 'unique_error_message', 'user_set', 'validate_unique']
But writing something like this keeps throwing errors:

Python code:
    model = Group.user_set
code:
Environment:

Request Method: GET
Request URL: [url]http://localhost:8000/admin/auth/group/1/[/url]

Django Version: 1.4.5
Python Version: 2.7.2

Traceback:
File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in get_response
  89.                     response = middleware_method(request)
File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/django/utils/importlib.py" in import_module
  35.     __import__(name)
File "~/urls.py" in <module>
  9. admin.autodiscover()
File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/admin/__init__.py" in autodiscover
  29.             import_module('%s.admin' % app)
File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/django/utils/importlib.py" in import_module
  35.     __import__(name)
File "~/admin.py" in <module>
  51. admin.site.register(Group, GroupAdmin)
File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/admin/sites.py" in register
  92.             validate(admin_class, model)
File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/admin/validation.py" in validate
  185.             if not issubclass(inline.model, models.Model):

Exception Type: TypeError at /admin/auth/group/1/
Exception Value: issubclass() arg 1 must be a class
No group currently has any users.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 5, 2013

Yay
Aug 4, 2007
If it's an M2M like I think it is, you should be able to set the Inline model to User.groups.through, which is the invisible M2M table model.

Caveat: I've not tried this specific (user/group) variant, but it's always help up for models I've made myself. Also I've not done so against 1.5 with it's AUM implementation.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Yay posted:

If it's an M2M like I think it is, you should be able to set the Inline model to User.groups.through, which is the invisible M2M table model.

Caveat: I've not tried this specific (user/group) variant, but it's always help up for models I've made myself. Also I've not done so against 1.5 with it's AUM implementation.
It worked! Do you know what the field name/related_name/etc. for the membership is, so I can tweak it in `admin.py`?

ufarn fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 5, 2013

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Fixtures for unit tests are irritating me.

Is there a good way to automatically update a fixture when you add or remove a field from a model?

I am using South, which seems like it would do this, but I don't quite see how.

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?

Thermopyle posted:

Fixtures for unit tests are irritating me.

Is there a good way to automatically update a fixture when you add or remove a field from a model?

I am using South, which seems like it would do this, but I don't quite see how.

Don't use fixtures, use factories, like Factory Boy

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

MonkeyMaker posted:

Don't use fixtures, use factories, like Factory Boy

Oh. Nice!

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

I'm a fan of model_mommy. It lets you be a bit more hand-wavey than factory_boy, filling in fields with random data where it can.

raymond
Mar 20, 2004

ufarn posted:

The error message is telling you that you're trying to access the manager from a Group instance, as opposed to the Group class.
The issubclass error is also complaining that it is being passed an instance, and not a class.

Have you accidentally assigned an instance of the Group class to the name "Group"?

code:
In [1]: from django.contrib.auth.models import Group

In [2]: Group.objects.count()
Out[2]: 160

In [3]: Group = Group.objects.all()[0]

In [4]: Group.objects.count()
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
AttributeError                            Traceback (most recent call last)

/home/rbutcher/checkout/<ipython console> in <module>()

/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/django/db/models/manager.pyc in __get__(self, instance, type)
    209     def __get__(self, instance, type=None):
    210         if instance != None:
--> 211             raise AttributeError("Manager isn't accessible via %s instances" % type.__name__)
    212         return self.manager

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Found a weird little gotcha in Django. I found that form validation always failed for boolean fields if the value was set to False. If you want to accept the value of False for a boolean in a form submission, you need to define the BooleanField with required=False. However in that case you obviously will be able to assign Null to the field as well, which may not be desirable. So it turns out there is another field type called NullBooleanField.

:arghfist::downs:

Edit: I was using a <select> with options for True and False, not the default form widget (whatever that may be)

My Rhythmic Crotch fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Mar 9, 2013

ufarn
May 30, 2009

raymond posted:

The error message is telling you that you're trying to access the manager from a Group instance, as opposed to the Group class.
The issubclass error is also complaining that it is being passed an instance, and not a class.

Have you accidentally assigned an instance of the Group class to the name "Group"?
I don't think so, but here are the relevant lines of code:

Python code:
from django import forms
from django.contrib import admin
from django.contrib.auth.models import Group, User

model = User.groups.through

class GroupAdminForm(forms.ModelForm):
    class Meta:
        model = Group

class GroupAdmin(admin.ModelAdmin):
    form = GroupAdminForm
    inlines = [GroupMembersInline,]
    filter_horizontal = ("???,)  # ???

admin.site.unregister(Group)
admin.site.register(Group, GroupAdmin)
Maybe model = Group is not the way to go about it.

Nevertheless, I think the problem was resolved. Now I just need to figure out what string value refers to the User.groups.through membership objects ("???"), so I can use it in my admin.py.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 9, 2013

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Looking for mile-high advice on a Django project I'm about to commence:

Years ago, I made a website for a laboratory I was working with. As is usual with these things, severe mission creep set in and it ended up:

* giving CRUD-like access to a database of samples, with record browsing and searching
* providing tools for visualizing, comparing and working with this data in various ways
* It also functioned as a CMS for various groups that used the database or were involved in lab activities, being somewhere they put reference documents, notices and so on.

There was the added complication that some of the website was open to the public, and some parts only for members of particular groups. Being a Python fan, I did the site up in Plone. (Quick tip: NEVER DO THIS.)

Anyway, to my surprise, the thing has worked fine for 5 years, with next to no maintenance or attention. Now, I'm between jobs and my old colleagues asked me if I can update the site. I've done some Django work in the past and from advice it seems the way to go. Any architectural / design tips welcome, especially to do with:

* The access control / security is pretty important. People shouldn't see what they're not allowed to see.
* In the old site, the CMS stuff lived in the Plone layer and the data records lived in a MySQL db that the Plone site accessed. Should I slam everything together in the one db, or try and keep this split?
* I've been out of the loop with Django for a few years. Any new hotness that seems worth underlining?
* The users really liked the edit-this-page aspect of Plone, that is admin from the user level. What's the nearest / best equivalent with Django?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
d3.js is probably what you want to play around with for visualizations.

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?
Anyone else at PyCon?

I'm giving a tutorial today (Wiring Up Django Packages at 1:10pm) but I'll be around until Monday. Real name is Kenneth Love, if you see me, say hi.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

MonkeyMaker posted:

Anyone else at PyCon?

I'm giving a tutorial today (Wiring Up Django Packages at 1:10pm) but I'll be around until Monday. Real name is Kenneth Love, if you see me, say hi.
More info here.

Baby Nanny
Jan 4, 2007
ftw m8.

MonkeyMaker posted:

Anyone else at PyCon?

I'm here with a co-worker but we signed up for that parallel computing tutorial. I think a crapton of #cobol'rs on irc are coming on friday though

ufarn
May 30, 2009
To rephrase my former question, what is the field name to use to organize my M2M users from my group model in here?

I am trying to display them using filter_horizontal, so it doesn't look like arse.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
RIP Malcolm Tredinnick (source)

One of the first persons to answer a question for me on #django was Malcolm, I actually feel sad.

Zamtools
Jan 28, 2010

Ayo son listen up, this cracka ass motherfucka be straight trippin bout the way all y'all niggas write an' speak, muhfucka be straight spergin'.

'S coo' though, some of his best friends is black. Not a racist.
Have you guys seen Andrew Godwin's Schema Migrations Kickstarter?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/andrewgodwin/schema-migrations-for-django/

Andrew built South; The best, and only, schema migration tool for Django. His Kickstarter is part of his proposal to build a migration system directly into Django core, finally filling the gaping hole when it comes to migrating models.

The Kickstarter reached its goal of £2,500 in just one hour, reaching all its stretch goals in 4 hours. It currently sits at £15,600 with 10 days to go. Hopefully it gets above 20K because Andrew deserves every penny.

So if you've struggled with manual schema migrations, have used South in the last 4 years, or are new to Django and are going to encounter schema migrations very soon, you should consider pledging a few bucks.

(PS: I accidentally posted this in the main software thread, so ignore the redundancy.)

Zamtools
Jan 28, 2010

Ayo son listen up, this cracka ass motherfucka be straight trippin bout the way all y'all niggas write an' speak, muhfucka be straight spergin'.

deimos posted:

RIP Malcolm Tredinnick (source)

One of the first persons to answer a question for me on #django was Malcolm, I actually feel sad.

Yeah, I was sad to hear about his passing too. He did a LOT for Django and the ORM.

This is a video of him at DjangoCon 2012, doing a 4 year recap of the ORM based off his talk from the very first DjangoCon (which I was fortunate enough to be able to attend):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgV39DlmZ2U

Also there's this sad update to the committers list.

https://github.com/django/django/commit/f02c6c27600c6e78b3f4bb3447cfc025a1f27a90

Zamtools fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 27, 2013

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Zamtools posted:

Thanks for posting that, just made my donation. South has been the first app to install on any new Django project I've worked on for the past year or two. It'll be great to get support into mainline Django.

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?

There are others (nashvegas, django-evolution, etc) but they're best not mentioned unless you have specific needs.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Zamtools posted:

quote:

Better merge detection. The new migration format means that merging between different VCS branches will no longer need any work or extra migrations, provided the changes are mergeable.

Yes, please! Migrations and git just don't work very well together.

Zamtools
Jan 28, 2010

There's just 38 hours remaining on the Schema Migrations kickstarter:

I'm hoping the pledges get up to £20K. Every bit of extra cash is going to ensure more time can be spent on, what could arguably be considered, one of the most important missing features in Django.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
What's the best place to learn django as of now? The OP suggests The Django Book, but some googling shows me that that was written for 1.0, and not to use it? So far I've done the microblog thing on the django site, and the 3 videos that are up at http://gettingstartedwithdjango.com/. What's the next step? I liked the GSWD videos, but unfortunately they release them really slow.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

mmm11105 posted:

What's the best place to learn django as of now? The OP suggests The Django Book, but some googling shows me that that was written for 1.0, and not to use it? So far I've done the microblog thing on the django site, and the 3 videos that are up at http://gettingstartedwithdjango.com/. What's the next step? I liked the GSWD videos, but unfortunately they release them really slow.
Someone did a huge guide called Effective Django, which is something I would try to check out. It kinda works as a newer Django Book. (Although the Django guys intend to update the book, and have already done so in a few ways.)

There is also an ED PyCon video that goes over three hours, and I found it to be incredibly dull to watch, although I wasn't exactly the target demographic.

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?

mmm11105 posted:

I'm trying to go faster, dammit!

Glad you liked them.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I've got a form for creating a model instance. Sounds like a perfect use for a CreateView along with a ModelForm. Easy as pie, right as rain, like shooting fish in a barrel, etc.

However, there's a two-part wrinkle...
  1. I want to use one form for creating multiple objects at once.
  2. One of the model fields is a FK, which the user won't have to enter because at the point where the user is filling out this form, we already know the FK.

All the objects have the same data for all the fields except for a "name" field which can consist of identifiers like 'A' or '112'. I got tired of trying to chase mixins and class hierarchies around to figure out how to do it with a CBV + ModelForm, so what I'm doing now is using:
  • A regular Form with fields for all my model fields.
  • A FBV which passes the FK along to the Form.
  • The Form hides the FK field if it receives the FK via initial.
  • On POST the FBV parses the name field in the form in the same manner Adobe Reader lets you input multiple pages to print. (A-K, 101-112, 89) After parsing it then creates a bunch of objects and saves.

My questions are...should I give up on the dream of implementing this with CreateView and a ModelForm? Maybe it's possible but my FBV + Form is just an easier/better way of doing it instead of torturing a CBV + ModelForm into doing what I want?

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?
Thermopyle: where is it failing?

I'm sure it can be done, but without a bit more info, can't really help.

First steps would probably be making sure some fields can be null/blank in the form & model, and then overriding `form_valid` in the view.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

MonkeyMaker posted:

First steps would probably be making sure some fields can be null/blank in the form & model, and then overriding `form_valid` in the view.

I was afraid someone would say this. I'll whip up a test project...

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

MonkeyMaker posted:

Glad you liked them.

Make new episodes faster, but transition from screen-to-screen after editing code slower! Really love the videos so far as someone with programming experience but limited python/web development. Any set plans for the topics of upcoming episodes?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

MonkeyMaker posted:

Thermopyle posted:

I was afraid someone would say this. I'll whip up a test project...

https://github.com/therms/CBV-custom-modelform-test

The relevant bits are in test_app/forms.py and test_app/views.py.

Forget everything I just wrote above about not being able to get this working. Working on a new project helped clear my mind and I figured it out. The parse_multi_name method in ClassBForm is just a simple place holder for a more robust library I wrote. When you visit class_b/add/1/ the form removes the field for selecting a foreign key and uses FK 1.

Would anyone mind looking at forms.py and views.py and give me their thoughts on how I handled this?

(if you want to mess around with the admin the user/pass is admin/admin)

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

MonkeyMaker posted:

Glad you liked them.

No problem, thanks for the great videos. While django does have a nice docs site, it still has a dearth of learning resources compared to rails (I just like python a lot better than ruby). Any word on the timing for the next episode?

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?

Thermopyle posted:

https://github.com/therms/CBV-custom-modelform-test

The relevant bits are in test_app/forms.py and test_app/views.py.

Forget everything I just wrote above about not being able to get this working. Working on a new project helped clear my mind and I figured it out. The parse_multi_name method in ClassBForm is just a simple place holder for a more robust library I wrote. When you visit class_b/add/1/ the form removes the field for selecting a foreign key and uses FK 1.

Would anyone mind looking at forms.py and views.py and give me their thoughts on how I handled this?

(if you want to mess around with the admin the user/pass is admin/admin)

Some notes:

You *should* be able to get your FK in dispatch instead of doing it twice in get/post

code:
class Foo(CreateView):
    def dispatch(self, request, *args, **kwargs):
        self.the_foreignkey = kwargs.get("the_foreignkey")
        return super(Foo, self).dispatch(request, *args, **kwargs)
Not super important but it saves you from forgetting to change it both places and from repeating yourself.

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?

KingNastidon posted:

Make new episodes faster, but transition from screen-to-screen after editing code slower! Really love the videos so far as someone with programming experience but limited python/web development. Any set plans for the topics of upcoming episodes?

To answer both you and mmm11105 (and sorry for the double post), I do have a set plan for the future episodes. The next 7 or 8 will all focus on building one large app. It'll be set up as an app for tracking things you've loaned to friends/family. We'll obviously stretch the use case a little, but it'll include things like Celery, sending emails, manipulating images, and setting up an API to use with a Javascript frontend (we *might* scratch this, but I doubt it).

If that doesn't fill up that many episodes, I'll come up with some other small project after that.

Then there'll be a few more episodes covering other areas of Django development, like standing up servers on AWS and building search with Haystack.

As for a release schedule, I'm working on episode 4 already, so expect a video in a week or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

MonkeyMaker posted:

Some notes:

Ahh, nice. Thank you.

MonkeyMaker posted:

To answer both you and mmm11105 (and sorry for the double post), I do have a set plan for the future episodes. The next 7 or 8 will all focus on building one large app. It'll be set up as an app for tracking things you've loaned to friends/family. We'll obviously stretch the use case a little, but it'll include things like Celery, sending emails, manipulating images, and setting up an API to use with a Javascript frontend (we *might* scratch this, but I doubt it).

If that doesn't fill up that many episodes, I'll come up with some other small project after that.

Then there'll be a few more episodes covering other areas of Django development, like standing up servers on AWS and building search with Haystack.

As for a release schedule, I'm working on episode 4 already, so expect a video in a week or so.

I'm excited!