Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Cornwind Evil posted:

Am I wrong in thinking from the stories of the past several pages that a lesson of bad and cat-piss stories is that, if the circumstances are favorable (as in, you're not feeling legitimately threatened or menaced), you should do this after telling the people they are behaving inappropriately and hence you're leaving?

No, you're not wrong. "Yo this poo poo be creepy I'm out" is probably all you need to say, though. If they ask for more explanation, feel free to elaborate, though it's best to remember that your average grog-lord isn't particularly open to change. Your average brony/pedophile/creepy-grognard/etc. thinks it's everyone else that has the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I did a pick up game recently at the college - DM had premade character sheets and a short dungeon, for newbies and people who've been out of the gaming loop for a while. It was Pathfinder.

I picked up cleric since I don't usually play that class, the last person - a very quiet, obviously shy guy had grabbed the wizard sheet and we rolled. As it was a pick up, the plot isn't too complex - the Vizier's son went crazy due to a botched love potion and kidnapped the princess and fled to an abandoned dungeon designed to test knights, blah blah blah.

It starts out okay, cleared out some angry feral dogs, then on the third chamber, shy guy tries to cast detect magic since the room was suspiciously empty and was informed there's an anti-magic field since the old knight order hated magic and cheaters. I thought that was dickish to spring that on so early, but I thought it'd just be a couple rooms here and there so everyone has a chance to solve the room puzzle.

Nope, it turned out the entire dungeon from then on was anti-magic. and as couple of us suggested to shy guy to reserve his spells for the inevitably tougher encounters later on (since none of us knew about the anti-magic field), he was sitting on unused spells and sat waiting for when he could cast spells again as his character doesn't really have much non-magic skills.

When the thief player realized shy guy wasn't going to speak out, he called the GM out on it. The GM's response was "Oh, sorry - I forgot he was there," there was a long awkward pause as it sunk in. As the awkwardness went on too long, people started to make excuses to leave, shy guy being one of the first.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Night10194 posted:

What do you do when you find out something like that?
Pass the DM a note that you've spiked That Guy's food with all sorts of nasty poisons. As soon as the DM declares him dead, excuse yourself from the table and delete the group's contact information from your phone and computer.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The only way you can make a lasting impression on a group like that is to stick around and make sure that the changes your character has made don't get retconned out. Unfortunately that just reinforces other behaviors that may or may not be worse (I.E. PVP)

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Ramba Ral posted:

The one other player, who we'll call Wayne Gretzky, in the group rage quit and acted like a literal manchild because he did something really stupid.

You see, we had to get to a secret corporate space station due to plot reasons but Gretzky couldn't join because they did not allow robots. This could have been easily fixed if he was like one of the party member's servant robot, but nope, he wanted full narrative control of his character and no one is allowed to do anything to him.

Oh, God, you just reminded me of another game. What is it with people who want to play robots but can't handle the character being treated like one?

I've mentioned Jeff before, observing strange games at Uni where Dragons failed landing rolls and his epic villains were humiliated in one round without getting an action off due to wanting to make his players feel great and powerful. My good friend Mal, a sensible and great player with an often hilarious subversive streak, convinced me to play in one of Jeff's games, a Star Wars campaign that was ramping up. This was before 3rd Ed had been released, so we were tooling around in a loosely interpreted version of WEG's d6 system.

One of Mal's half-serious complaints about playing Star Wars was that everyone always played Jedi/Force-users and he ended up having to play the pilot who took all the actually useful skills. This had roughly happened again in the Jeff's campaign, but he was fairly upbeat about it because he was playing a daring smuggler/pirate who did not give a toss what the Jedi were doing and went around making deals with the scum of the universe and slowly attempting to obtain a collection of as many different starships as he could. As Mal and I often played amusing duos, I thought I'd give him a hand and decided to play his loyal Repair Droid, which he'd secretly been upgrading to act as a hacker and to intercept and interfere with communications. My character was given the behaviours to pretend to be an ordinary Repair Droid doing his lowly job while working out where the best targets were and assisting with stealing the ships as needed. He even had a fake Restraining Bolt on him, so people would not expect him to have full autonomy.

Also playing this Star Wars game was Anthony, a friend of Mike's. Anthony was pretty cool, and didn't seem to have the same kind of drives and motivations that Mike did. We'd played some Shadowrun and stuff, and I'd come away thinking he was a nice reasonable fellow.

When I turned up with my Repair Droid sidekick to Mal's character, I was expecting everyone else to be Jedi thanks to Mal's Law of Star Wars. It turned out I wasn't completely accurate. It turned out that Anthony was playing another Droid. Awesome, I thought. Until I found out he was playing an Assassin Droid. An Assassin Droid that was almost homicidal. If it had been released, I would have thought he was just playing a humourless version of HK-47 from Knights of the Old Republic. He was going on about all the awesome blasters and vibro blades and whatever he had concealed on himself and how he could kill anyone, even Jedi with his l33t skillz. Turns out this was a new character as well.

So Jeff okays my character and likes the idea, and I join the crew as Mal takes the ship to dock at a space station. Due to high security, ships are expected to dock at orbital stations like this, and then take shuttles down to the planet. Because Mal is after some loot and the Jedi have some sort of secret mission, we're trying to get in quietly and without fuss. While the Jedi discuss how they're going to sneak their way past, Mal gets bored and has his pilot get to the front of the queue and present his papers. Since there's nothing weird or anything about his character, they digitally stamp his pass and he gets through. He's got papers to prove ownership of his Repair Droid with the restraining bolt, so they wave me past as well.

Now Anthony goes next. Jeff realises he doesn't know what kind of droid Anthony is pretending to be, so he asks what Anthony is disguised as. A Protocol Droid? Anthony holds up a picture and says he looks like that. The picture is a picture of an Assassin Droid. Jeff knows what kind of Assassin Droid Anthony is, but what is he pretending to be? Anthony looks at him for a moment and says that he's an Assassin Droid. He has no disguise.

After a bit of bemused back and forth between all of us, it becomes clear that Jeff is expecting people to know what an Assassin Droid is, especially if they work in security, and Anthony is expecting no one to know what Assassin Droids look like because they are ninjas. Anthony starts getting a bit stroppy, definitely not wanting to look non-awesome, and demands to be allowed to look like a loving sweet Assassin Droid. Jeff eventually relents and just decides that while people might know Assassin Droids exist, maybe they don't know what exactly the models look like because, hey, there's Droids all over this crazy galaxy.

So the guards then ask to see his ownership papers, since Anthony decided to go right after me and no sentient organics were in front of him in the queue and it's a fair question. Anthony proceeds to derisively snort that no one owns him.

Some of us start pointing out that in the Star Wars universe (as it was then - haven't been keeping up at all) Droids are expected to be owned. They're intelligent, but they're property andwedonotwanttogetintoaslaverydiscussionhere. On high security planets like this, a non-owned Droid is going to be very suspicious. It's all cool, one of the Jedi players can pretend to be his owner and Jeff nods that all that can have been sorted out before docking at the station.

Anthony goes loving mental. He had to fight over the Assassin Droid thing, and now he has to pretend to be owned? We all begin calmly explaining that he won't actually be owned, we're just pretending, none of the non-Droid characters are going to treat his character any differently, I mean, hell, there are Jedi travelling with a loving Assassin Droid for gently caress's sake. Anthony will not listen to a single word of this and starts getting really pissed off by the entire idea, not once backing down from loudly proclaiming to everyone that he's a free Droid. Now things start becoming a bit more pointed as Mal starts trying to work out how Anthony's character can be a functioning Assassin Droid if he refuses to infiltrate anywhere, Anthony tells Mal to shut up, I ask if Anthony's Droid phones ahead to his target to ask them to pick him up at the airport, and Anthony tells me to shut the gently caress up, and Jeff just asks again if there's no way Anthony won't just pretend to be owned by one of the Jedi characters.

With Anthony's absolute refusal to back down on this, Jeff decides he'll go ahead and play the scene. The Assassin Droid refuses to acknowledge ownership, the security officers decide there's something very curious about that so just ask the Droid to submit to a search, the Droid busts out some incredible fighting moves, taking down four security guards before the alarm is pushed, the security overwhelms and he gets taken away. Anthony is very huffy about all of this, and then starts crying bullshit when they put a restraining bolt on him. We all ask what the gently caress he was expecting, and he doesn't answer.

Epilogue
Jeff's game for me turned out the way it always does. There doesn't feel any point in playing if there's no credible threats, that you know in advance that you will always succeed in the most amazing way possible, and that because of that the character you're playing doesn't really seem to ultimately matter. I eventually went and rescued Anthony's character, for no good reason aside from "party dynamics," and then proceeded to get bored with the game, make my apologies and not return for the next one. The small highlight was when I was taking care of Mal's ship while everyone was planetside and I suddenly intercepted comm traffic that suggested we'd been betrayed, that the ship had been securely locked to the space station and that a contingent of marines was coming to board and comandeer the vessel. I confirmed with Jeff that there was no indication to them that I was anything more than a standard Repair Droid, so, thinking quickly, I open a signal to traffic control of the space station and proceeded to pretend that I'd had a major malfunction and that I'd set off the self-destruct on the ship. With a decent roll I even faked activating the thing so their scanners could confirm it. They immediately withdrew the marines, opened the lockdown they had on the landing clamp, launched the ship away to get clear of the blast and I got to broadcast a "Haha, suckers!" before taking a series of short hyperspace jumps to one of the other planets in the system to wait for a flyby pickup of the crew.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Kurieg posted:

The only way you can make a lasting impression on a group like that is to stick around and make sure that the changes your character has made don't get retconned out. Unfortunately that just reinforces other behaviors that may or may not be worse (I.E. PVP)

Um, no? That's the cowardly, stupid, enablers method? The issue isn't that these guys have weird characters, it's that they are weird loving people who think it's alright to roleplay sexual relations between a grown man and a teenager. Sticking around just to be an rear end and make sure that the guy's character stays dead isn't going to do anything. Make your point, call them out on their creepy bullshit, and wash those people out of your lives. Whether they grow as a person or not isn't going to change because you stayed behind and made sure his make-believe character stayed dead.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah in hindsight it probably wasn't the best way to put it. If you want the game to change, that's how you do it. If you want *them* to change you probably need to involve the authorities.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Kurieg posted:

Yeah in hindsight it probably wasn't the best way to put it. If you want the game to change, that's how you do it. If you want *them* to change you probably need to involve the authorities.

Spoken like a man who doesn't carry an emergency tear gas grenade and gas mask for emergency escapes. :shepface:

Yes I have been thinking about Shadowrun recently, why do you ask?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Kurieg posted:

It's not your responsibility to change a terrible group. Trying to change such a group from within is like marrying an addict so you can "fix" him/her with the power of your love: it would be great if it worked, but the odds are stacked against you, and you're better off severing.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Turtlicious posted:

This sounds almost exactly like something for /tg/ your friend might be just be repeating a 4chan post. One sec I'll go find it.

e:http://i.imgur.com/wWrSi.png

e2: While reading through it again, the two stories have nothing in common, and I am an idiot.

It can't be the only time its happened. Sometimes people just want to rage at the world.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Commoners posted:

'Beware, you intruders who plan to EXPLOSIVE RUNE' roll reflexes.

The Hidden Lair of The Great Sorceror, Jokey Smurf.

Minutia
Feb 12, 2013
If there's anything to be learned from this thread, it's that sticking around and trying to improve godawful games doesn't work. All you can accomplish by staying is collecting more stories for this thread.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

VanSandman posted:

Spoken like a man who doesn't carry an emergency tear gas grenade and gas mask for emergency escapes. :shepface:

Yes I have been thinking about Shadowrun recently, why do you ask?

I don't know about teargas, but I used to have some home made smoke grenades I carried around while drinking heavily.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Minutia posted:

If there's anything to be learned from this thread, it's that sticking around and trying to improve godawful games doesn't work. All you can accomplish by staying is collecting more stories for this thread.

Yeah, plus that whole mess was years ago and thankfully, the group tore itself apart anyhow. It's one of those things you look back on and laugh at, really. I mean, while I've had players who've done AdEva and done it well, you've got to be on guard for poo poo to get weird whenever you're playing with people you don't know that well in a game where most of the characters are a pack of child soldier robot pilots. You either get a lot of fun out of that, or it ends in pedophilia and sadness.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Last night I DM'd my first D&D campaign (ran a Shadowrun campaign before and that was my only other experience) My friends all know I have the sense of humor of a resident of the local insane asylum and had no problem with that penetrating the Shadowrun campaign, so I decided to see if I could one-up myself with the Night of a Thousand Cages.

To introduce the dwarf paladin, I had him investigate a vigilante on behalf of the local army/police force, who went by the moniker Big Daddy. He goes to a recent crime scene that had been disrupted by this vigilante, found several footprints that were smaller than all the others, as well as a throwing knife far tinier than average. Eventually he follows these clues and finds Hit Girl and her father, who is basically training her to be Batman. I described Big Daddy as "He kinda looks like Nicolas Cage if he were a dwarf."

After finding out that Hit Girl and Big Daddy are mostly harmless and are actually a reasonably competent duo, the paladin is tasked with going to a major city to investigate corruption, and his contact is Rick Santoro. Turns out though, that Rick is taking deals under the table, but before the paladin could do anything with this information, Santoro is killed (Rick was described as "He kinda looks like Nicolas Cage, and he's wearing some really fancy clothes that seem way above his pay-grade as a beat cop)

To introduce the other two players, who were pirates who had just finished a tour of booty and were looking for more work, I had them go around the pirate shanty town/port they started in. I had them encounter the town drunk, who was wearing a skeleton mask, and had also set his horse on fire. The horse naturally freaked out and was bucking and kicking like an equine tornado, finally throwing the guy off. His mask came off in the process and he was described as "He kinda looks like Nicolas Cage drunk as hell."

So that happened, and later they were approached by Pollux Troy, who wanted them to make a delivery to his brother (conveniently in the same city as the paladin). So they find this guy, "He kinda looks like Nicolas Cage, and he's wearing a strange jacket cut in a way you are unfamiliar with, that appears to be made out of snakeskin." Also the package they were delivering was an ornate box which contained a box of Chiclets, a switchblade, some drugs, two guns for Castor, and a dragon money clip containing their payment.

When we ran out of time and wrapped up for the night, one of my friends said "You are weird as hell but I love you for it." So first night was a success :3:

e: Just in case it isn't clear, I'm sure someone will ask, the movies being referenced there were Kickass, Snake Eyes, Ghost Rider, and Face/Off, These are not even all the ones I have planned, so I may have more stories in the future if it goes well.

Nucular Carmul fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 20, 2013

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Now I'm imagining that scene from Being John Malkovich, except everyone is Nicholas Cage instead. Also it is a pseudo-medieval fantasy world.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Pththya-lyi posted:

Now I'm imagining that scene from Being John Malkovich, except everyone is Nicholas Cage instead. Also it is a pseudo-medieval fantasy world.

Not going to lie. I would play this.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I'd combine two of his roles, so you could eat cockroaches but be allergic to bees.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
I've been role-playing for a little over two years now (tried a long time ago, but could never find a consistent, quality group). As I've discovered, I have problems "getting" the characters I craft until some "establishing character moment" happens.

I think my favorite moment so far was the one for my current Pathfinder character. We're currently playing through Curse of the Crimson Throne, and my character is a sorceress/harrower. During an early combat, my character dove into some sewer water to rescue some captured guards. Later, she had luckily managed to slay a minor boss monster a little ways off from her allies. While the rest of the party was cleaning up the rest of the bad guys, I had a turn in which I didn't know what to do. I debated between "loot the boss monster at my feet" and "help with the cleanup".

The GM then asked, "What would your character do?"

Then, it hit me, "PRESTIDIGITATION!"

So my character's dress was as good as new, following a dive into sewage. Our team eventually became known as "Team Febreeze", because our party could go through the depths of hell, and we'd come out the other side ready to attend the royal ball.

Oh yeah, and somehow we have an all-female team. The module has sections where it lists character reactions "if there's a female PC". Amusing, to say the least.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
What do you mean I'm only a maid?

My group of friends and I have been doing role playing games on and off for years now, all with the same DM. For the longest time we stayed in the typical DnD fantasy world but it was getting old since the guy was, at least in my opinion, a poor DM (I lost count of the number of times he flat out said 'no' to me wanting to do something inane like leap through a window or throw a guy off a cliff) so color me surprised when he told us he wanted to try out a new system based around us being Japanese maids.

At the time this did not set off any warning bells because he said he was basing it off of a different maid game that, despite us being maids, was really quite fun. The game he was working off of had a random event chart that you could roll on every round and events like a zombie invasion, a train crashing into the house, and mecha-assassins could all happen at the same time and lead to some really interesting situations. What did set off warning bells was when we started making our characters.

I'll admit that I am not a serious role-player, I show up to have fun and I find it very difficult to take a game seriously. I can play with-out meta gaming and I can play 'true' to my character, but in character conversations and other things like that are things I will never be able to do. When it came time to name our characters I decided that I wanted to do something a little different, so I named my character Lu Bu (after the Dynasty Warriors character) said he was a Chinese immigrant who wanted to find work as a butler. The DM promptly veto'd my character. He argued that my character HAD to be Japanese and a 15 year old girl, and when I argued that I found that dumb as hell he threw a fit and refused to talk to me for weeks (going as far as leaving our groups Skype call if I joined). Finally things got settled and I had an older character named Lu Sai (or something like that) and we began the game proper.

As we sat down for our first session our DM revealed to us that he decided to completely scarp the random table element of the game, and when we asked him what he replaced it with he simply replied "I didn't replace it with anything" No zombies, no assassins, no magic tom-fuckery, we were maids, plain and simple. I would describe more of the actual game, but there was nothing to describe. We walked around the house and rolled to see how well we performed basic duties like washing, cooking, and cleaning. One of my friends spent an entire session cooking food while I spent two whole sessions cleaning a single bath tub because the 'master' constantly told me that it wasn't clean enough. Anytime I talked to one of the other players about the game they all agreed they were bored out of their minds. Any time any of us came up with a complaint about the game the DM would flip out and refuse to hear it.

We only play about four sessions before I managed to convince the group to abandon the game. Despite its short game time it left a very bitter taste in my mouth but it did teach me a number of important Do's and Don'ts for when I took up the DMing title.

moosecow333 fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Mar 20, 2013

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

What the hell kind of maid RPG would have only housekeeping? A Filipino version?

Vhex
Mar 30, 2011

"Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you, and you may call me V."

Silhouette posted:

The Hidden Lair of The Great Sorceror, Jokey Smurf.

I laugh every time I read this. I just want to thank you for that.

Huszsersvn posted:

What the hell kind of maid RPG would have only housekeeping? A Filipino version?

Perhaps the game is played by international spies who have seen what the arcane forces of magic can do to our reality.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Huszsersvn posted:

There's a scenario in the core book where you just celebrate your master's birthday and have to bake him a cake and stuff, but that's at least something that might be fun, and there's plenty of other crazy scenarios. Sorry your GM sucked, moosecow.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

moosecow333 posted:

We only play about four sessions before I managed to convince the group to abandon the game. Despite its short game time it left a very bitter taste in my mouth but it did teach me a number of important Do's and Don'ts for when I took up the DMing title.

Four?! At least fantasy manor looked fabulous...

Do you have ANY idea what the DM was actually going for? Was this some passive aggressive way of punishing you?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Huszsersvn posted:

See, its all an elaborate trap, its to make you WANT the tentacles.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

This is the most awful, bullshit game to spring on your players. How did you put up with that poo poo for four sessions? I can imagine four weeks, 4 hours a week, 16 HOURS OF MAID PLAY? What in the absolute gently caress.

"I'm taking the only real cool aspect of this RPG and trashing it so I can get off to you guys playing 15-year-old girls washing dirty socks. Dirty, dirty socks." :barf:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

moosecow333 posted:

I wanted to do something a little different, so I named my character Lu Bu (after the Dynasty Warriors character) said he was a Chinese immigrant who wanted to find work as a butler. The DM promptly veto'd my character. He argued that my character HAD to be Japanese and a 15 year old girl, and when I argued that I found that dumb as hell he threw a fit and refused to talk to me for weeks (going as far as leaving our groups Skype call if I joined).
Yeah, this is the part where I would never game with this guy ever again.

quote:

As we sat down for our first session our DM revealed to us that he decided to completely scarp the random table element of the game, and when we asked him what he replaced it with he simply replied "I didn't replace it with anything" No zombies, no assassins, no magic tom-fuckery, we were maids, plain and simple.
And if I hadn't quit from the above, this would make me immediately drop. Maid without the random absurdity is like playing world of darkness without anything supernatural happening. Dude sounds like the biggest stick in the mud ever.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nucular Carmul posted:

e: Just in case it isn't clear, I'm sure someone will ask, the movies being referenced there were Kickass, Snake Eyes, Ghost Rider, and Face/Off,
And Wild At Heart with the snakeskin jacket, right? Or was that from Face/Off as well? Cause I can see Sailor fit in real well with what you're doing, especially in a D&D fantasy world. Set up a Wizard of Oz pastiche to make everyone think you're giving them a break from Nicholas Cage, but whoops turns out it's the David Lynch interpretation and there he is again!

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

My Lovely Horse posted:

And Wild At Heart with the snakeskin jacket, right? Or was that from Face/Off as well? Cause I can see Sailor fit in real well with what you're doing, especially in a D&D fantasy world. Set up a Wizard of Oz pastiche to make everyone think you're giving them a break from Nicholas Cage, but whoops turns out it's the David Lynch interpretation and there he is again!

This is a good idea, thank you! Also I just had Castor wearing a snakeskin jacket because I described him as being the most flamboyantly dressed person in the city.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

It's really unfortunate your GM sucked so much; Maid RPG is a really solid game and a blast to play when you keep the wacky elements. It'd almost assuredly be even better if you dropped the whole fetishized maid thing, obviously, but the core game is extremely good.

I'm not sure why anyone would ever want to play a campaign of it, though. Oneshots or nothing with that system.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

It's really unfortunate your GM sucked so much; Maid RPG is a really solid game and a blast to play when you keep the wacky elements. It'd almost assuredly be even better if you dropped the whole fetishized maid thing, obviously, but the core game is extremely good.

I'm not sure why anyone would ever want to play a campaign of it, though. Oneshots or nothing with that system.

I'm pretty sure why someone who would gut the entire point of the system and leave nothing but the trappings of fetishized servitude would want to run a campaign rather than a one shot.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Nucular Carmul posted:

e: Just in case it isn't clear, I'm sure someone will ask, the movies being referenced there were Kickass, Snake Eyes, Ghost Rider, and Face/Off, These are not even all the ones I have planned, so I may have more stories in the future if it goes well.

You gotta work in a Raising Arizona reference.

"Son, you got a panty on your head."

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

How would you even play a Maid RPG with stripping out the wacky elements?

"I wash some socks."
"Roll your sock washing skill."
"I got a 17, does that hit?"
"Sorry, you're unable to wash the socks. They are still dirty."

Meanwhile the group next to you could be like my group, in which last night we:

-Find our warlock/bard in a painting
-Kill some lava dudes and a gnome(The other bastard got away :argh:)
-DM describes the doors as being solid iron
-Free a prisoner who's a bit of an rear end in a top hat, debate keeping him locked up in the dungeon
-Debate for 20 minutes on how much iron is an iron door
-Debate for another 10 how much it would sell for on the market
-DM decides that it's made of Unobtanium
-Debate for 5 minutes on how much Unobtainum is in a door, and how much it would be worth
-Fight Get demolished by some Ettercaps, trying not to set the place on fire
-Argue about Ettercaps not having opposable thumbs nor the intellegence to use great axes, as we get destroyed by really good rolls
-Our striker actually rolling above a 4 for once. Rolls a 3 for damage.
-Debate for 15 minutes on how much spiderweb is in the area, and how much it would be worth on the market.

So far we're up 2.5 cubic feet of spiderweb, and a 60x10 ft painting that we ripped off a wall. Some other misc. treasure, but nothing beats stripping a dungeon bare for extra loot.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Once our DM had us explore - or really, retrieve a key from - an old tomb that he described as "long ago stripped of anything that had any value, except for one large bronze statue of the entombed, probably no one has been able to move that."

We perked up, looked at each other, and he just sighed and put his adventure notes aside. Took us a few hours of planning and organizing when the key retrieval was supposed to be a 15 minute flavour thing - there weren't even any monsters in the tomb or anything - but drat if we didn't get that statue to town and got a whopping 800 gold for it.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
If your players are motivated by loot, then give'em loot. Then make'em fight like hell for it.

In Paranoia, I've had stolen loot be dangerous, loud, and/or wanted by other people. (Including a car whose alarm was just repeating "HEY! Stop it, mister!")

Sometimes, the statue becomes the story - and if adventurers are smart enough to go into tombs, someone's smart enough to try and mug them, tax them, or falsely appraise the goods when they return.

Or it's a statue of the mayor's long dead wife.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Once our DM had us explore - or really, retrieve a key from - an old tomb that he described as "long ago stripped of anything that had any value, except for one large bronze statue of the entombed, probably no one has been able to move that."

We perked up, looked at each other, and he just sighed and put his adventure notes aside. Took us a few hours of planning and organizing when the key retrieval was supposed to be a 15 minute flavour thing - there weren't even any monsters in the tomb or anything - but drat if we didn't get that statue to town and got a whopping 800 gold for it.

DMs should know by now characters will fixate on any little (or not so little thing) and it compliments the natural magpie tendencies to steal everything not nailed down, and bringing a crowbar for the things that are.

I was in a game where a paperweight derailed an entire campaign.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 31, 2017

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

50 Foot Ant posted:

I usually plan for: "The PC's will steal anything not nailed down, on fire, and covered in hissing spiders, and even then they will try to train and sell the spiders, use the fire to light the dungeon on fire, and try to use their crowbars to undo the nails, after all, these are the guys who stole a house."

You gotta take the New Vegas approach and plan for them killing any and all of your NPCs, too.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

TalonDemonKing posted:

-Debate for 20 minutes on how much iron is an iron door
-Debate for another 10 how much it would sell for on the market
-DM decides that it's made of Unobtanium
-Debate for 5 minutes on how much Unobtainum is in a door, and how much it would be worth
So far we're up 2.5 cubic feet of spiderweb, and a 60x10 ft painting that we ripped off a wall. Some other misc. treasure, but nothing beats stripping a dungeon bare for extra loot.

Oh boy, you just reminded me of a story.

There's a feat in Book of Exalted Deeds called "Ancestral Weapon", which lets you sacrifice the market value of an item(not it's resale value) to enhance a weapon magically. I.E. 16000 gold pieces would give you a +2 weapon. I quickly developed an eye for items that were valuable but you couldn't really resell.

One time we were raiding a dungeon, and the DM described these ornate tapestries adorning the walls. I gathered up around 30 of them in my bag of holding before I asked him how much they were worth.
"Uhh.... 4,000g Each, I suppose."
He then got very concerned when I started grinning like a lunatic. One of the other players informed him that he had just given me enough raw goods to get my weapon up to +9 equivalent at level 10, and suddenly a swarm of moths came out of nowhere and ate all the other tapestries in the dungeon.

After that we often joked about how my sword had excellent stitching around the seams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That in turn reminds me of when I played Roosevelt, the quarterstaff specialist (he did speak softly, too), and our DM, who had a habit of playing fast and loose with the mechanics, included a very nice quarterstaff for me in a loot pile. One day I got distracted while levelling up, idly compared my equipment to the item creation chart and worked out that that staff alone, according to the wealth-by-level chart, was the equivalent of the entire possessions of a character 5 or 6 levels higher than Roosevelt was.

Worked out fine because he played that fast and loose with everyone, by the way, we had a bit of a laugh about it when I told him and that was that.