Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

xzzy posted:

At the risk of turning this into a semantics argument, none of those images you linked would be classified as a "landscape". :v:

There are certainly interesting things to photograph in Illinois, but landscapes? Very rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
I love it when threads devolve into these discussions. :munch:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

All pictures are worthless.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

posting a landscape

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

dukeku posted:

posting a landscape

I see rocks so clearly it's a landscape.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

xzzy posted:

I see rocks so clearly it's a landscape.

FYI, there are rocks in Illinois.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
None of these are taken in Illinois, but certainly places people often consider boring: South Dakota, Minnesota, North Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Southern Wisconsin

Those are all pictures I just took while driving through, conditions being what they were. Even if you don't want to find expression in the unending flatness itself, all you have to do is find a body of water or a forest. I know you could find scenes in rural Illinois much like these:

This is probably too many pictures, but hopefully they serve to reinforce the point that there is beauty everywhere.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Go to fermilab and photograph some buffalo. Or the accelerator ring.

Either would make for a nice landscape.

e. east river south dakota is boring, I don't care what you say. gently caress em.

e2. the black hills and the badlands own bones though. And we have rocks.

Open Cut by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0031.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 20, 2013

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Is this a landscape? I don't see any rocks :ohdear:

Sand Ridge by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

actually it's sand (yes there are sand dunes in illinois)

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Mr. Despair posted:

e. east river south dakota is boring, I don't care what you say. gently caress em.

e2. the black hills and the badlands own bones though. And we have rocks.

I still think those two links I posted of eastern South Dakota are pretty, but you're right that they have nothing on the Black Hills.

MrBlandAverage posted:

actually it's sand (yes there are sand dunes in illinois)

Sand is rock!

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Sand is just really small rocks.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

vote_no posted:

I still think those two links I posted of eastern South Dakota are pretty, but you're right that they have nothing on the Black Hills.

Sand is rock!

One of those pics is west river, the other one is a freak exception. :colbert:

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Mr. Despair posted:

One of those pics is west river, the other one is a freak exception. :colbert:

Yeah, but come on -- that first one looks like typical east river terrain. What I love best about eastern South Dakota / North Dakota is when you're driving along and the patches of trees on the horizon and trees in the foreground interact with each other, especially at sunrise or sunset. Haven't been able to properly capture this even with video, let alone photography.

I haven't had much reason to go there, but now I think I will take a photography trip some day just to have some great photos of Eastern South Dakota. I take it you won't let me count pictures taken along the Missouri River, even if they're so East they're almost in Iowa?

fake edit: Aha, I found another one! It's at least 10 miles from the river!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The landscapes are fine, it's the people who live there. Sioux Falls :argh:

Also matters where you are too, northeast south dakota is a lot more hilly than south east, for the most part.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mr. Despair posted:

Go to fermilab and photograph some buffalo. Or the accelerator ring.

Been there, done that.

https://picasaweb.google.com/112445735250237164731/Fermilab02

(all shots were taken within 6 months of me purchasing my first DSLR, I don't actually like any of these pictures anymore)

I'm not trying to argue that there's nothing to photograph in Illinois. But I can't convey what I am trying to say without sounding like a shitheel, so I'll drop it.

Other than photographing corn is loving boring. I stand firm on that topic.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Make it less boring.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

xzzy posted:

:colbert:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/austingranger/7985827355/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wyoming_1/5077592498/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcdead/3614080324/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/35881121@N06/3724020618/

Nothing is boring if you find an interesting way to photograph it.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

xzzy posted:

I'm not trying to argue that there's nothing to photograph in Illinois. But I can't convey what I am trying to say without sounding like a shitheel, so I'll drop it.

I understand you are saying Same Ol poo poo. I wish I had cornfields to shoot, I'm sick of loving mountains. Don't use that as an excuse to NOT shoot. Go out and shoot. Shoot the same ol poo poo in a different way. Go explore - make it about exploring and not about taking photos. Go for a random drive, a hike or a bike, you'll find something.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

xzzy posted:

At least you'll have corn to shoot, I don't even have land to shoot, just buildings.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

xzzy posted:

Bring a normal or slightly long prime lens, move your butt to the outskirts of a town/city where you're close to the countryside. Go walk along roads looking at all kinds of details. Shoot small things. Put those small things into a context.
Main point: Landscape photography isn't limited to wide angle lenses and giant vistas.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

nielsm posted:

Main point: Landscape photography isn't limited to wide angle lenses and giant vistas.

70-200 4L is my favorite landscape lens.

Marvin Meatbat
Mar 2, 2006
This space intentionally left blank

Patapsco Valley State Park Waterfall by MRBWorth, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I have been loving my new 24mm 1.4
I haven't picked any majorly noticeable distortion yet but I'm sure it's there

I don't know how accurate this is: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Distortion.aspx?FLI=0&FLIComp=0&Lens=480&Camera=453&LensComp=480

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Sunset, As Seen From The Road Leading Up Pine Mountain by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

dukeku posted:

posting a landscape

Smith rocks?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

This is old but I like it more now than I did then.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Dread Head posted:

Smith rocks?

your trail-sense is correct

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Reichstag posted:

This is old but I like it more now than I did then.

You should like it, because it's very good.

Bilbo Baggins
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vancouver by Pliv10, on Flickr

Chuckanut by Pliv10, on Flickr

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

IMG_3217-2 by s-bothun, on Flickr

IMG_3223-2 by s-bothun, on Flickr

IMG_3224 by s-bothun, on Flickr

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
This owns but god I wish the reflection in the top of the windshield weren't there.

Whitezombi posted:

70-200 4L is my favorite landscape lens.
Long lenses = landscape sex.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Saint Fu posted:

This owns but god I wish the reflection in the top of the windshield weren't there.

Crazy talk, that's one of the best parts.

Alcoholic
Sep 8, 2011

alkanphel posted:

At least you'll have corn to shoot, I don't even have land to shoot, just buildings.

.... Try having just beaches, bland ones at that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So basically what everyone is saying is that the place where you live is the most boring place on the planet. :v:

We need some kind of photographer exchange program, live in someone else's boring home for a month and take pictures of it.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

xzzy posted:

So basically what everyone is saying is that the place where you live is the most boring place on the planet. :v:

We need some kind of photographer exchange program, live in someone else's boring home for a month and take pictures of it.

Familiarity breeds contempt, try and approach your surroundings with naiveté.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

That won't be hard HA HA HA HA HA HA HA :rimshot:

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

xzzy posted:

Get a corn costume like such.

Drive out to the corn field you see the most, or the one that for some reason bothers you the most because the farmers don't tend it well and it's ragged and depressing or something. Like it's not even doing it's job as a corn field well

Stand in the corn.

Hold a back up camera in your hand with a main camera a distance away for a self portrait. I think a shot something like this would be good but even wider. You need the illusion that the field stretches infinitely.

A few pose options would be like a sort of forlorn look where you're holding your camera with one arm completely slack at your side as if you're going to drop it, while your gaze is looking in the opposite direction down toward the ground like the scenery isn't amusing you anymore. Or you could do like a clenched fist at the sky while you yell like the scenery has wronged you in some way, with possible violent demonstration with the camera. Or you could be on your knees crawling hands first away from a certain corn stalk like it's a mob boss who's about to take his money back and a little bit more.

For more light hearted material you could stand out behind a few stalks and lean into one of the rows between the stalks, eyes looking off to the left or right of the frame with a determined face ready to escape the corn field prison.

Alternative idea...

Make your own corn stalk. Some abomination made up of crap that you're hoarding and should throw out but you keep anyway because you just might use it for something one day. Give it a face and some character and put it in the fields. You could do a thing where it's like a traveling corn stalk visiting all the fields until he finds the best one there is.

East Lake fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

Saint Fu posted:

Long lenses = landscape sex.

Especially when you stitch them :)

(Shot this one on a 50mm - so not that long really.)