Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

Anyone have any ideas for an xbox or XBLA game that is 2 player coop that is accessible to someone who is 100% inexperienced with gaming and has a lovely attention span? Preferably something not reaction-based.

Edit: Also hopefully something that will be interesting to both myself (seasoned goon gamer) and my gf (new to games).

I played Trine 2 with my girlfriend, who's also not a big gamer, and we had a blast. One of those rare co-op games where you actually have to come up with puzzle solutions together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thank you for the great responses. My girlfriend would be useless at geometry wars and would get frustrated and give up in a couple minutes, she doesn't have the hand-eye coordination for it. I was thinking something turn-based or at least something that lets you take your time to aim, etc. I'll show her castle crashers for sure, I've seen it on steam tons and always looked casual.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Coffee And Pie posted:

And are there any good non-fantasy text adventure/CYOA games? I've been playing a bit of Amnesia and Alter Ego, those are a lot of fun.

Try Bureaucracy. The game chronicles your attempts to fill out a change of address form as written by Douglas Adams. (Seriously)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

VelociBacon posted:

Thank you for the great responses. My girlfriend would be useless at geometry wars and would get frustrated and give up in a couple minutes, she doesn't have the hand-eye coordination for it. I was thinking something turn-based or at least something that lets you take your time to aim, etc. I'll show her castle crashers for sure, I've seen it on steam tons and always looked casual.

There's also the Scott Pilgrim game. It's a co-op brawler that isn't too hard.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
Thank you all for the reccos! I have Transcendence, couldn't get into it sadly. I liked it but I may have gotten hit with an episode of video game ADD. I'll be sure to spin it again. Oh man! Hardwar was a blast! Should definitely give it a whirl again. Based on the reports on Battlecruiser, I guess I won't waste my time. I just can't justify committing huge amounts of time to learn something that obtuse. I mean X3:TC was just about the most curve I was willing to tolerate.

The one that's really caught my eye however is Evochron. May pick that up this weekend; thanks again everyone!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone know of a good free MUD with a large goon presence and is actually fun?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turtlicious posted:

Does anyone know of a good free MUD with a large goon presence and is actually fun?

Space Station 13 might count as one. Have a look at the thread for it.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Space Station 13 might count as one. Have a look at the thread for it.

Try Space Station 13 anyway if you haven't, it's a hell of a trip.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Anyone know of a game where observation is a extremly key skill? Not like a skill you press, but like you have to really have your eyes and wits about you to do good and it has a slow pace?

Games that would fit could be snipery games, games where you have to spot traps or stealth games.
Games i know that fit very well: Sniper Elite (the first one), Far Cry series, Legend of Grimrock, the Thief series, Metal Gear series and Sam Fishers elderly adventures (i cant remember the name, stealth dude with the green nightvision) hmmmmm... That's about all i can come up with now.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Splinter Cell is the series you're thinking of.

Hitman is definitely along those lines. Start with Blood Money. In fact, only bother with Blood Money and maybe Absolution.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, Hitman series aswell. Forgot to mention! I've played a loooooooooot of games, so it might be hard to find something i havent played.
Edit: And Blood Money is insane, everyone that hasnt played it, just go do it now. It's on steam.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Dongattack posted:

Anyone know of a game where observation is a extremly key skill? Not like a skill you press, but like you have to really have your eyes and wits about you to do good and it has a slow pace?

Games that would fit could be snipery games, games where you have to spot traps or stealth games.
Games i know that fit very well: Sniper Elite (the first one), Far Cry series, Legend of Grimrock, the Thief series, Metal Gear series and Sam Fishers elderly adventures (i cant remember the name, stealth dude with the green nightvision) hmmmmm... That's about all i can come up with now.

I recently started playing the original Deus Ex again, I think it'd fit your criteria very well. Set the difficulty to Realistic, and it becomes a very tense stealth shooter where observation and planning your approach are key.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Also played that, sorry for being so difficult.

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.
I'm looking for a decent SRPG game in the Final Fantasy Tactics style. To this day FFT is still my favorite game ever even though I've pretty much played it out. I have a 360, PSP, 3DS, and PC. Surely there has to be something out there that'll scratch my itch. I have a few games that I never really got into, such as Jeann D'arc and the FFT Advance games.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Dongattack posted:

Also played that, sorry for being so difficult.

If you've played the Far Cry games, definitely consider the first Crysis. It's basically the same, except you are the Predator (cloaking/super punches).

For an emphasis on stealth and pacing, I'd suggest lowering the AI's alertness while keeping the rest of the difficulty settings at normal. On default, a single shot will bring the entire map down on your rear end. If I remember correctly it's just a matter of adjusting a couple numbers in a .ini file, I think I got the instructions from here: http://www.tweakguides.com/Crysis_1.html

Also for a blast to the past, give Project I.G.I. a shot. Any of the Ghost Recon games up to Advanced Warfighter is good too. The series takes a nosedive after that.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 25, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Red87 posted:

I'm looking for a decent SRPG game in the Final Fantasy Tactics style. To this day FFT is still my favorite game ever even though I've pretty much played it out. I have a 360, PSP, 3DS, and PC. Surely there has to be something out there that'll scratch my itch. I have a few games that I never really got into, such as Jeann D'arc and the FFT Advance games.

I'd say Disgaea. There are versions of the first two for psp. Have you tried Fire Emblem? Awakening just came out and it's one of my favourite turn based strategy games.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Mokinokaro posted:

I'd say Disgaea. There are versions of the first two for psp. Have you tried Fire Emblem? Awakening just came out and it's one of my favourite turn based strategy games.

Fire Emblem: Awakening is more similar to FFT than most of the series, but on the whole the gameplay is pretty different. Fire Emblem has much more emphasis on the defensive aspect of tactics (ie, counterkilling and baiting enemy units properly) than FFT's "So my calculator just used CT5 Holy and now the entire enemy force is dead before they even got a turn." That's not to say that Fire Emblem isn't a fantastic series, but if you go in expecting more FFT, you're going to be very disappointed. Disgaea is definitely a better recommendation if that's what you're looking for.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Red87 posted:

Try Tactics Ogre for the PSP. I had trouble getting into it, but it super reminded me of FFT.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Dongattack posted:

Dishonored, although with that list you've probably played it.

Dark Souls?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Eh, i've played everything! I'm just gonna go outside and look for traps and sniperspots.

live free or dont
Apr 13, 2012
Do you guys know any ARPGs like Diablo 3 and Torchlight, but older, like 2D? I´ve played Diablo 1 and 2 already.

I posted earlier that I have a super lovely mini laptop with me on this trip and it doesn't even play System Shock 2 properly. (The laptop model is Acer Aspire One, should it even be this crappy?)

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Dongattack posted:

Eh, i've played everything! I'm just gonna go outside and look for traps and sniperspots.

How about Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena? It's supposed to have good stealth mechanics

[edit]And any Ghost Recon game for sniping action, although they're less about observation and more about planning

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Red87 posted:

FFTA is good for scratching that itch, but most people would consider FFT a superior game. FFTA2 isn't as good as either, and them shoehorning in FF XII characters feels too hokey.

Definitely less tactical but still a pair of great SRPGs are Shining Force and Shining Force 2. They are Genesis games that were re-released on that big Ultimate Genesis Collection that came out a few years ago.

Ogre Battle and Ogre Battle 64 are probably not exactly what you want either but might satisfy for the time being, and they're better than Ogre Battle Tactics on the GBA. Can't speak to the PSP Tactics Ogre game though.

EDIT: Can someone recommend any ARPGs along the lines of the Tales of ... series? I've played that series out and am looking for something more. 360, Wii, PS2, PC or DS please.

Cliff fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 25, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sajeezzar posted:

Do you guys know any ARPGs like Diablo 3 and Torchlight, but older, like 2D? I´ve played Diablo 1 and 2 already.

I posted earlier that I have a super lovely mini laptop with me on this trip and it doesn't even play System Shock 2 properly. (The laptop model is Acer Aspire One, should it even be this crappy?)

Sacred 1 should work. It's a fairly decent game. There's also Divine Divinity which is a hybrid of ARPG and open world RPG.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Sajeezzar posted:

Titan Quest! It's so good, trust me. Plus Dungeon Siege 1 and 2.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone have some favorite small business sims? I recently gave up on Cart Life because it was so bleak and frustrating, but I liked the business part of it.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Sajeezzar posted:

It sounds like the game you're looking for is Nox. It's an older 2D action RPG made by Westwood (RIP). It's been a long time since I've played it so I don't remember a whole lot about it other than that it is generally regarded as being quite good.

You should probably just watch some videos to get a better idea of how it plays.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Sajeezzar posted:

You can try Hinterlands and Depths of Peril. They'll probably still chug, though. Aspire Ones are designed for portability and extremely long battery life while typing or browsing. They have a low power processor, typically 1GB of RAM, and a video card with very little 3D acceleration and no cooling fans. That they play any games at all is pretty amazing.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Sajeezzar posted:

With an Aspire One you may be screwed for any real gaming. If it's one of the later ones with the Radeon video cards you might be able to pull off older games like Nox and Divine Divinity. I've got one from before they added those and it won't even play a dosboxed Ultima 7 (a 20 year old game). The best you could get with that are simple games like most roguelikes.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Alkanos posted:

With an Aspire One you may be screwed for any real gaming. If it's one of the later ones with the Radeon video cards you might be able to pull off older games like Nox and Divine Divinity. I've got one from before they added those and it won't even play a dosboxed Ultima 7 (a 20 year old game). The best you could get with that are simple games like most roguelikes.

I'm curious, will Exult Ultima 7 run on it?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Dongattack posted:

This is a little different than the games on your list, but what about some flight sims? They require you to be extremely observant in a 360 degree kind of way.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Dongattack posted:

Alpha Protocol. If you run and gun and don't give a poo poo about plot, it's pretty mediocre shooter. If you're a sneaky gently caress like I am, the gameplay is like Splinter Cell's more recent games, but less annoying. There are some parts where you have to run and gun, but it's not as if killing a few guys per level fucks you over. There is no quicksave, which means that your decisions are hard to change. And if you are seen or an alarm goes off, you've got to live with the consequences or replay the last 10 minutes. However, as I said, the consequences of you screwing up and having to run out and frantically kill some dudes aren't as they are in other stealth games, where that robs you of some rewards and makes you feel like you practically failed the level.

It features possibly the most varied plot of any game in the past 10 years. By that, I mean that the decision tree is impressive. You can play an almost entirely different game in a second runthrough. There's a rush to make dialogue choices and a touch of spy psychology, so the combined effect of all of these elements is that you feel like every decision is extremely important with lots of nuances.

The non-dialogue gameplay is as slow and stealthy as you want. It's just the dialogue that is instinctual and tense. Since I'm one of those guys who plays stealth games while spamming F5 and F9 to have that "perfect game," it was hard at first to resist the urge to reload.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

I'm looking for a strategic game to play the battle of the Atlantic during WW2.

Ideally something as detailed as War in the Pacific from Matrix Games.
I've played Hearts of Iron II and III and most of its mods and conversions, but I'm just not satisfied with it.

Any recommendations?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'm looking for RPG games on the PC. The last one I played was Skyrim, but what I really enjoyed was Dragon Age: Origins, Fallout: New Vegas and Neverwinter Nights 2. The Witcher 2 and Risen were okay for me.

My top requirement is a solid plot because I've been bored out of way too many fantasy RPGs. Customisable equipment, attributes and abilities are also needed. More peculiarly, I'd prefer if the game doesn't get scary. I play most of my games in the dead of the night and plowing through the undead levels on Skyrim was really freaky. Also those claustrophobic vaults in Fallout 3 were a loving nightmare.

I wish there were more Dragon Age games where I could pause, take a piss and deliberate over how best to slaughter my enemies. But an ordinary RPG isn't all that bad either.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop

Vegetable posted:

I'm looking for RPG games on the PC. The last one I played was Skyrim, but what I really enjoyed was Dragon Age: Origins, Fallout: New Vegas and Neverwinter Nights 2. The Witcher 2 and Risen were okay for me.

My top requirement is a solid plot because I've been bored out of way too many fantasy RPGs. Customisable equipment, attributes and abilities are also needed. More peculiarly, I'd prefer if the game doesn't get scary. I play most of my games in the dead of the night and plowing through the undead levels on Skyrim was really freaky. Also those claustrophobic vaults in Fallout 3 were a loving nightmare.

I wish there were more Dragon Age games where I could pause, take a piss and deliberate over how best to slaughter my enemies. But an ordinary RPG isn't all that bad either.

Have you tried the Star Wars: KotOR games? They've got the pausing mid-combat, the branching conversations, the pretty-good story, and customisable weapons, especially the lightsabers (but even moreso in the 2nd one). Not scary, and available for cheap on Steam. I would recommend getting the restored cut content mod (can't remember the name of it, it's far and away the most popular though) for KotOR 2, the ending is a bit nonsensical and there are a lot of loose ends left after the ending without it.

I also need an SRPG recommended. Golden standard in my mind is FFTA and FFTA2, and I recently played the poo poo out of the new XCOM. The highly customisable squads (from FFTA) and permadeath (from XCOM) appeal to my internal minmaxer. I'd be the first to admit I'm a bit of an aesthetics whore - high-fidelity and crazy effects don't mean as much to me as a design that works together well, if the game looks poo poo (but not old) I'll most likely not play it. Any recommendations? I've played Valkyria Chronicles, FFTA, FFTA2, XCOM, and Pokemon Conquest, and I own an underpowered PC, DS and PS3.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Konig posted:

I also need an SRPG recommended. Golden standard in my mind is FFTA and FFTA2, and I recently played the poo poo out of the new XCOM. The highly customisable squads (from FFTA) and permadeath (from XCOM) appeal to my internal minmaxer. I'd be the first to admit I'm a bit of an aesthetics whore - high-fidelity and crazy effects don't mean as much to me as a design that works together well, if the game looks poo poo (but not old) I'll most likely not play it. Any recommendations? I've played Valkyria Chronicles, FFTA, FFTA2, XCOM, and Pokemon Conquest, and I own an underpowered PC, DS and PS3.

Disgaea 4 on PS3 or Fire Emblem Awakening on 3DS (permadeath!) should be up your alley.

Late edit: poo poo, sorry, I just realised you said DS not 3DS. In that case one of the GBA Fire Emblems or Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon should replace Awakening.

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Mar 27, 2013

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Jeanne D'Arc for the PSP was fun stuff. Not sure if it was released on any other systems.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Vegetable posted:

Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga (or director's cut, same game) might be right up your alley. The combat is more actiony (closer to Fallout/Skyrim) but it has an expansive enough world, a decent plot and some really great humour in points as well.

Plus early on you get the power to mindread and turn into a dragon.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Disgaea 4 on PS3 or Fire Emblem Awakening on 3DS (permadeath!) should be up your alley.

Late edit: poo poo, sorry, I just realised you said DS not 3DS. In that case one of the GBA Fire Emblems or Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon should replace Awakening.

Shadow Dragon is bad, and also super ugly compared to the GBA games. Play one of the GBA games. The one just called Fire Emblem, no subtitle, is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
So are there any RPG's on the PS3 or that would run on a not very good computer that have good Magic Systems? I picked Two Worlds 2 up from a bargain bin and the crazy magic system has started me on a wizard kick, but I've just made it to the start of chapter 2 and apparently I'm way over halfway done with the game or something.

I've played Skyrim and Demons/Dark Souls to death, but that's as far as I can think of for "similar" games.