Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on the best Dreamcast VGA box and where to find it for the best price?

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

There's debate as to whether or not there's really any difference between them all. Unfortunately, the ones that came out in the Dreamcast's heyday are ridiculously expensive now (like $90+).

Get yourself $60 and get one of these -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dreamcast-V...=item19d92fe97f

It's shipping from the UK, but it's well worth it considering it'll also output to S-Video if you have anything that can't be played over VGA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Hey you never responded to my post about the SNES!

That definitely has to be from the Sony encoder then. The weird thing is that it didn't come up on my TV at all, or else I wouldn't have even bothered sending it to you (it was part of your Secret Santa gift, correct? It's hard to remember who I sent what and why). The easiest way to tell is that I bet it does not show up in RGB. That's because I completely bypassed any and all encoders for the RGB lines, and installed a Texas Instruments amp. So in RGB, do you get that blue crap and/or the vertical bar? You definitely should get neither. Let me know.

It seems like it is only showing up in the overscan areas? Is that correct? Maybe that's why I didn't see it before I sent it to you; my SNES games display no borders (besides the obvious side-borders from viewing a 4:3 picture unstretched on a 16:9 TV).

Yeah, it only shows up on overscan. Currently don't have an RGB setup to test, but this is over S-Video. The white bar is gone for good though.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

HKR posted:

Yeah, it only shows up on overscan. Currently don't have an RGB setup to test, but this is over S-Video. The white bar is gone for good though.

What kind of TV do you have? I am going to guess and say CRT? Does it have component inputs?

Still crappy if it shows up on overscan; the garbled mess of graphics on Super Mario 3 for the NES that shows up in overscan annoys me to no end (:spergin:) but if you want me to look into it, I don't mind. I don't want to have given you a lovely Christmas gift. I really didn't see at all on my plasma which is weird. If the screen is totally black, there is no blue in the middle of the screen, only on the edges?

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Haha, the bar in Miyamoto's av is getting more and more obvious as the day wears on. Now I think I understand the tortured world he lives in.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Get yourself $60 and get one of these -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dreamcast-V...=item19d92fe97f

It's shipping from the UK, but it's well worth it considering it'll also output to S-Video if you have anything that can't be played over VGA.

The VGA screenshots I took earlier were with this box, I forgot to mention. Here they are again:

The garbled mess of graphics on Super Mario 3 for the NES that shows up in overscan annoys me to no end (:spergin:)

Never play Super Monkey Adventure, I swear there's an entire second game going on in the overscan area.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

What kind of TV do you have? I am going to guess and say CRT? Does it have component inputs?

Still crappy if it shows up on overscan; the garbled mess of graphics on Super Mario 3 for the NES that shows up in overscan annoys me to no end (:spergin:) but if you want me to look into it, I don't mind. I don't want to have given you a lovely Christmas gift. I really didn't see at all on my plasma which is weird. If the screen is totally black, there is no blue in the middle of the screen, only on the edges?

I wouldn't call it lovely since it only appears in very specific areas (When the game hasn't drawn anything on screen or in overscan). This is running on a CRT which has component, but I don't have the necessary RGB cable/converter.

The capture in the video above was taken directly from the system to the capture card (In an effort to see if it was the snes or the TV).

I can take the case off and take some pictures/do some continuity tests if you think something might have jiggled loose.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

:stare:

welp, off to find a Famicom copy of Super Mario Bros. 1 as well as Tennis.

I spent hours reading through those a while ago, even emailed him because he left out the official nes players guide that had a partial walkthrough for Zelda 1 and 2. Completely forgot about the Famicom Mario thing, guess I know what I'm looking for next payday.

Tomato, the starmen.net guy wrote them and he really knows his poo poo.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

3) This one has me completely floored and I am aghast at not knowing about it until now:

http://legendsoflocalization.com/super-mario-bros/misc/
There are way more crazy worlds in Super Mario Bros. 1 for the Famicom besides just Minus World. Apparently this has been well-known in Japan for decades, and somehow, even with the internet, I managed to not come across this until now:

From that link:

Oh my god it works. haha! I just did it with my famicom. Thanks for this.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

madpanda posted:

:catstare:

I didn't realize they had gone up so much, i have a blue naki and a hais. Think i'll look at the instructions for modding the console and sell the externals to fund more dreamcast games.

sell me one, but not for inflated prices

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

univbee posted:

Never play Super Monkey Adventure, I swear there's an entire second game going on in the overscan area.

Is it any better?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Mace Bacon posted:

Has anyone tried this with a US toploader?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

univbee posted:

The VGA screenshots I took earlier were with this box, I forgot to mention. Here they are again:

I loved Elemental Gimmick Gear. Fun story! If you beat the tutorial boss fight like 100 times you get an op item that somewhat breaks the game. I was determined to get that thing. After fighting him a few times I started to get the timing down so well that I was able to switch inputs on the television and watch tv while fighting him blind. I used the fact that the Dreamcast was so loud to my advantage. It was something like: Walk forward and mash confirm to start the fight. If the Dreamcast makes a loud noise then so far so good. Wait a particular number of seconds and start punching slowly. The enemy would keep getting knocked back and ruin straight at you until he died. Another loud noise from DC to confirm your victory. Repeat.

I'm sure if I tried to do this as an adult I would fail miserably.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Woah, breaks the game how? I'm sure I could convince my roommates to take care of that while I'm busy during the day and stuff.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

http://legendsoflocalization.com/super-mario-bros/misc/
There are way more crazy worlds in Super Mario Bros. 1 for the Famicom besides just Minus World. Apparently this has been well-known in Japan for decades, and somehow, even with the internet, I managed to not come across this until now:

From that link:

Hamburglar, you don't need to find Famicom copies of SMB1 or Tennis if you have the US variety -- :siren:if you've disabled the 10NES chip on your NES you can do the trick on a regular NES.:siren:

How do I know? I JUST DID IT, AND IT'S RAD.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

ACID POLICE posted:

Woah, breaks the game how? I'm sure I could convince my roommates to take care of that while I'm busy during the day and stuff.

It gives you unlimited use of the spinner move. I remember it being really powerful but it's been so long that I can't say for sure whether "breaks the game" is an exaggeration it not. The fact that you can literally get it immediately after starting the game if you want to put the work in is crazy.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

If you are not good with a soldering iron, this dude was just discovered selling VGA boxes he himself makes:

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?42388-Dreamcast-VGA-box-amp-Scanline-generator

I bought one just because it's also got a built in scanline generator and RGB/VGA switch. Also it's a new PCB design and cost less shipped than that eBay box so awesome. I'll post all about it when it gets here from Turkey~

When I get it i'll just put my VGA cable on eBay and turn a profit :frogc00l:

Risky
May 18, 2003

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Hamburglar, you don't need to find Famicom copies of SMB1 or Tennis if you have the US variety -- :siren:if you've disabled the 10NES chip on your NES you can do the trick on a regular NES.:siren:

Thanks for the link to that site, now I'll never get to sleep. :(

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Risky posted:

Thanks for the link to that site, now I'll never get to sleep. :(
It's a rabbit hole for sure. I started reading the Legend of Zelda article then got to reading all about the FDS and then the Satellaview. Before I knew it, the time was 2 AM.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

What game is this? Did you mean Super Monkey Ball Adventures? I didn't know that overscan stuff happens with 3-d games.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Haha, the bar in Miyamoto's av is getting more and more obvious as the day wears on. Now I think I understand the tortured world he lives in.

haha what's torture is when you fix it, which is great, but then it justifies the mental illness so that next time that something like that comes up, the endless spergin' seems reasonable. :cripes:

Mace Bacon posted:

That's awesome. I can't wait to try it. It's going to be the new "cool thing I show my friends but they probably are just pretending to think is interesting while I blab on and on about it and show them for 40 minutes" so I can't wait!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

drat it! Too late. Just as well though since I didn't have Tennis for NES anyway.

I know this is just a glitch but I think the best thing about it is that how many times you make a step in Tennis. I know that's just how programming works but that makes it so much funnier/cool in my opinion.

Harlock posted:

It's a rabbit hole for sure. I started reading the Legend of Zelda article then got to reading all about the FDS and then the Satellaview. Before I knew it, the time was 2 AM.

tcrf.net is good for doing that to me. I just found out there's a debug ROM of Zelda 64 and now I must try that.

I wish some debug or prototypes of good SNES games were floating around somewhere!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

ACID POLICE posted:

I bought one just because it's also got a built in scanline generator and RGB/VGA switch. Also it's a new PCB design and cost less shipped than that eBay box so awesome. I'll post all about it when it gets here from Turkey~

When I get it i'll just put my VGA cable on eBay and turn a profit :frogc00l:

I saw that thread a while back and was interested in just the scanliner but I guess that's not a separate device? Would be neat to have a xrgb mini on the cheap :getin:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flyboi posted:

I saw that thread a while back and was interested in just the scanliner but I guess that's not a separate device?

You might be confusing that with the SLG3000.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

doujindance's PC-Engine Duo-Rs are the bee's knees and totally worth the price of admission, especially since you get pretty much everything you need with his units generally. I need to get a proper AC adapter though; it's very voltage-tolerant and works with a Genesis 2 AC Adapter but given what it cost I'd rather get a proper AC adapter with the exact correct voltage/amperage and not take chances.

It also had the same "top of the screen is distorted problem" with my XRGB-3 but I finally found the option that fixes it (manually setting the AFC level to whatever works).

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

What game is this? Did you mean Super Monkey Ball Adventures? I didn't know that overscan stuff happens with 3-d games.

I think they're talking about this famicom game:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

tcrf.net is good for doing that to me. I just found out there's a debug ROM of Zelda 64 and now I must try that.

I wish some debug or prototypes of good SNES games were floating around somewhere!

Fun fact. One of the objects you can spawn is an Arwing. From Star Fox 64.

(those games were made with the same engine, and they had an Arwing as a way to test the Z-targeting system)

I believe it'll fly around and even shoot lasers at you.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ambitious Spider posted:

I think they're talking about this famicom game:

This is correct. It was a Japanese-only game that's up there with Takeshi's Challenge for poo poo game infamy, and that I recently made an English translation patch for (and repro carts of my patch are available from lostclassicvgs). In testing I had to play a lot in an emulator, and the "overscan" border drove me insane.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

It was also on Game Center CX as a regular segment one season, with Arino calling people that wrote to him in efforts to get any advice on how to do anything.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

This is correct. It was a Japanese-only game that's up there with Takeshi's Challenge for poo poo game infamy, and that I recently made an English translation patch for (and repro carts of my patch are available from lostclassicvgs). In testing I had to play a lot in an emulator, and the "overscan" border drove me insane.

Between the two I'd play Takeshi's Challenge before I'd play Super Monkey Adventures. Takeshi's Challenge is awful but at least things happen in it.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I think I just warped an NES cart. I was using a blowdryer to get rid of a rather stubborn pricetag, and after I cleaned it up, put the guts back in and re-assembled it, I noticed the side of the lip where the contacts come out was curled up a bit, so the seam at the edge no longer meets. (I don't remember if it was like that before, but I thiiink I would have noticed something odd like that, so I'm sure it was me taking far too long with the blowdryer.)

It still fits in my NES, but it's pretty unsightly to look at. Do you think I could fix it if I used woodworking clamps to force it back to the proper closed shape(which it looks perfect again when held, but just pops open again if you release it), and re-heat it with the hairdryer for a long time to try and get it to stay that way?

TCRF is excellent and I love it, beta or debug game information fascinates me endlessly. But it is one of those sites where I'll start clicking around and then magically lose five hours. I have a feeling that Legends of Localization will do similar, now.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ineffiable posted:

(those games were made with the same engine, and they had an Arwing as a way to test the Z-targeting system)

Yea you can spawn the Arwing at the beginning of the game then tell the game to change it to like Gannon or something and there you are fighting Gannon in the forest at the beginning of the game. I adore stuff like that.

I just found a walk through walls Game Genie code for A Link to the Past and man is that going to be fun to mess with!

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

Ineffiable posted:

I believe the arwing was in there as a test for Volvagia's Flight animations

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Another one to throw on the Saturn import pile. Had to wait a bit for it to get here though.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

flyboi posted:

I saw that thread a while back and was interested in just the scanliner but I guess that's not a separate device? Would be neat to have a xrgb mini on the cheap :getin:

IIRC he literally just listed the Scanliner as a separate device for sale the other night.

Iast your Saturn collection is starting to get awesome

(PS did you guys know you can get a SFC from Surugaya for $15)

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Saturn shmups will be the death of my wallet... or would be if I hadn't gotten smacked with bills last week. :argh:

First chance I have disposable income again, I'm grabbing Soukyugurentai Otokuyo from someone. Playing with slowdown in MAME is not cutting it.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I'm hoping to pickup a decently priced of Donpachi for Saturn at MGC this weekend. The local arcade has a cab of it (galloping ghost if you are in IL) that I've been pretty close to getting into the high score table on.

The only sat shooters I have are galactic attack/layer section (plz get this if you have a saturn its dirt cheap) gunbird and radiant silvergun. Looking to improve that a bit, maybe pickup some psx ones as well.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

iastudent posted:

Saturn shmups will be the death of my wallet... or would be if I hadn't gotten smacked with bills last week. :argh:

First chance I have disposable income again, I'm grabbing Soukyugurentai Otokuyo from someone. Playing with slowdown in MAME is not cutting it.

I assume you already have but have you tried it in shmupmame? I'd also really like to track down that game...

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

ACID POLICE posted:

I assume you already have but have you tried it in shmupmame? I'd also really like to track down that game...

I've gotten nothing but errors trying to run it in shumpmame. I managed to get it to run in an old version of MAME++ but not at full speed. Apparently it's never worked completely well in MAME.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ACID POLICE posted:

(PS did you guys know you can get a SFC from Surugaya for $15)

I just googled "Surugaya". Holy crap, an AV Famicom for $60. :stare:

This...this is awesome!

(Is there a better search term I should be looking for for the Satellaview since nothing really comes up for it?)

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I'm plugging away at Rastan and still having a bitch of a time getting anywhere in stage 4. There's a spot early on where if you fall in the water, every single possible jump you can make either dumps you back in the same pool or in another pool. You can't jump high enough to go forward so you have to backtrack through several more pools, taking damage from each along the way. There's an infinite lives code which I'm going to need to make use of. Love this game but I could be a tour guide on the first three levels at this point.

And yet I feel whiny after finding a long play video of the arcade version, which looks twelves times as hard. The guy who played it made it through without losing any lives or even taking damage. :suspense: Prior to picking up the Master System version, I'd played the arcade one maybe once or twice almost a quarter century ago. Watching this make me realize why this game stuck with me for so many years; the action is just non-stop. There's fire coming out of the walls and fire coming out of the floors and fire underneath you and lizards and skeletons and gladiators and wizards all trying to murder you and spikes and spears and bats and pretty much everything and its cousin out to murder the ever loving hell out of you. I'll write a review if and when I beat it.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

If anyone's interested, there's a Japanese stream going on right now of Itoi playing Mother 2 (Earthbound) to commemorate its VC release.

Hopefully the stream is being saved and someone can translate it afterwards, or at least the more interesting tidbits they're sharing with one another.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

iastudent posted:

If anyone's interested, there's a Japanese stream going on right now of Itoi playing Mother 2 (Earthbound) to commemorate its VC release.

Hopefully the stream is being saved and someone can translate it afterwards, or at least the more interesting tidbits they're sharing with one another.

Holy crap, I've been playing EarthBound again, trying to actually beat it. It's great that it's finally getting a VC release.

I also managed to finish Castlevania IV last week. God, that game is so much fun. Side-scrolling platforming at its finest. Death and Dracula are absolute bullshit, though. So loving satisfying when I finally murdered them.

• Locked thread