Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yesterday I spent like 45 minutes in DW8 finally organizing my weapons and selling all the ones I don't want, it was incredibly tedious. I turn on DW8 today and it has a patch waiting, among other things it adds auto-sorting to the weapon list.

I...think I need to play as Lu Bu for a while now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

DW7:E, my CAS'd 'Affluence' ruler had her main trait change to 'Brave' on me... which I assume is in part to rushing the development of weaponry. Am I going to have to grind 'Affluence' activities in order to get her back onto an Affluence primary trait?

edit: I made a CAS guy to share online- a tiger-outfit fat guy named Roger. I don't think very many will get the Comcast advertisement reference, but I amused myself.

5er fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 19, 2013

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

5er posted:

DW7:E, my CAS'd 'Affluence' ruler had her main trait change to 'Brave' on me... which I assume is in part to rushing the development of weaponry. Am I going to have to grind 'Affluence' activities in order to get her back onto an Affluence primary trait?

Yes.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

5er posted:

edit: I made a CAS guy to share online- a tiger-outfit fat guy named Roger. I don't think very many will get the Comcast advertisement reference, but I amused myself.

I don't, and I'm a Comcast customer. :blush:

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
Aw I completed all 4 Story Modes on DW7 :( So good though, really enjoyed it. :D

Does anyone find DW7 Empires a little dull? I'm trying to work out the best way to play. I'm sort of just doing skirmishes and battles without really caring what's going on. The territories change hands and so forth, but the same enemies return 2-3 times per battle. Can any one recommend a 'fun' way of playing to get a bit more out of it? I think I just miss the romanticized elements of the main story mode of DW, but perhaps I need to invest more into Empires to get the benefits. I wish there were 'events' though, rather than just battle after battle.

I'm wondering if I'll be better off trying the Conquest mode of DW7, perhaps it's more immersive than Empires.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 coming to Europe this August. Get a fancy Luffy figurine in the special edition!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF5wBsUbNc4

5er
Jun 1, 2000

SirPhoebos posted:

I don't, and I'm a Comcast customer. :blush:

Sorry Roger! You a tiger now!

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Bloodbath posted:

Aw I completed all 4 Story Modes on DW7 :( So good though, really enjoyed it. :D

Does anyone find DW7 Empires a little dull? I'm trying to work out the best way to play. I'm sort of just doing skirmishes and battles without really caring what's going on. The territories change hands and so forth, but the same enemies return 2-3 times per battle. Can any one recommend a 'fun' way of playing to get a bit more out of it? I think I just miss the romanticized elements of the main story mode of DW, but perhaps I need to invest more into Empires to get the benefits. I wish there were 'events' though, rather than just battle after battle.

I'm wondering if I'll be better off trying the Conquest mode of DW7, perhaps it's more immersive than Empires.

I'm pretty happy with DW7:Empires still, have done three playthroughs so far, and am on the fourth. I played the hell out of DW5:Empires though, so I knew what I was getting into. I really like the feeling of forging your own path through the world, and while the little event cutscenes don't rival DW7's storytelling in any way, I still like them, and especially the ability to do everything with my CAW characters. I'm currently doing a Gathering Of Heroes with my first evil character, and it's been a seesaw of getting betrayed and taking revenge. It's probably best to employ nothing but evil-fame subordinates when you're an evil ruler, but I'll be damned if I didn't get motivated to seek revenge after Cao Ren talked Diao Chan and her friends into snatching one of my territories and joining him.

Conquest mode in 7 is pretty dull honestly. The closest you'll find to story in Conquest mode is the legendary stages for each character, which are split up between "what-if" scenarios and historical events that didn't make the story, but they have no cutscenes. They're a bit like watered down DW7:XL stages, except you have to grind your way through a hex-grid of a bunch of pointless random stages with no context and randomized forces, in order to reach the different characters' legendary battles.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Just a heads up, there's a number of edit mode outfits for $0.99US out and a few scenarios for $1.99 that came out last night.

EDIT: Also, the two Japanese gaming magazine weapons, the V-Jump sword and hook and the Famitsu Rocket Siege Spear are $0.49

The GIG fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 20, 2013

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Scyther posted:

Conquest mode in 7 is pretty dull honestly. The closest you'll find to story in Conquest mode is the legendary stages for each character, which are split up between "what-if" scenarios and historical events that didn't make the story, but they have no cutscenes. They're a bit like watered down DW7:XL stages, except you have to grind your way through a hex-grid of a bunch of pointless random stages with no context and randomized forces, in order to reach the different characters' legendary battles.

Some of the Conquest Mode stages are pretty good, though they are the exception rather than the rule.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
The one where you fight the three kingdoms, Jin, and then Lu Bu and his entourage has gotta be the most fun I've had with a DW game in years.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Saith posted:

The one where you fight the three kingdoms, Jin, and then Lu Bu and his entourage has gotta be the most fun I've had with a DW game in years.

Every Warriors game should have a stage like this where you just beat the poo poo out of the entire game.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Oh yeah, I forgot about that commercial!

Meanwhile, I'm getting pretty deep into Romance, right at the first of Zhuge Liang's northern campaigns. I was beginning to think that he was turning into a boring Mary Sue, right up until his first confrontation with Sima Yi and manages to turn him back by playing a lute. Oh Prime Minister, I never should have doubted you :allears:

EDIT: of the conquest missions, my favorite has to be Yueying's first legend mission, because I always imagine her acting like some Secretary from Hell: "BRING ME THE HEAD OF WILLY THE MAILBOY!"

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 21, 2013

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
There's something amusing that if Zhuge Liang's tenure as Prime Minister is deemed to share lineage with that of the Prime Ministers of Han... then he's Cao Cao's successor. :haw:

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Saith posted:

That was definitely one that came to mind, and by far the best stage in the game. I also liked the arena stage where a bunch of female characters are fighting over who's the most beautiful. Not especially inspired, but I did enjoy the twist ending. The final opponent is Zhang He.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Not so twist after all the times that Mori Ranmaru is that final boss for the Samurai Warriors equivalents... and hell, Pokemon Conquest flips that around by having the player control Ranmaru's "faction".

Wasn't Lu Bu's version of Battle of Hulao Gate in DW6 as his final stage basically the aforementioned "you versus the rest of the cast other than Diaochan, Zhang Liao and Chen Gong"? (Goddamn but Chen Gong should be in DW9.)

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?

Chortles posted:

Wasn't Lu Bu's version of Battle of Hulao Gate in DW6 as his final stage basically the aforementioned "you versus the rest of the cast other than Diaochan, Zhang Liao and Chen Gong"? (Goddamn but Chen Gong should be in DW9.)

Pretty sure the only named characters were Sun Quan/Liu Bei/Cao Cao/Yuan Shao/Dong Zhuo/Zhang Jiao - everyone else was generics. I think there's an engine limitation on truly giving you every single PC Officer charging you at once.

And yes, Chen Gong should be playable already. He had a bit in DW4, and he got way more characterization than any other generic in the series in Diao Chan/Lu Bu's stories in 6. He's aching to be promoted to the main cast.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I first bought DW7 a year ago. I just finished Conquest Mode, with all weapons and sworn allies.

I don't even want to know how long this took, and yet the giddy buzz I got from killing 50+ dudes with a single attack never faded. These games are hazardous to my health.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Chortles posted:

His campaign in Next starts that way, and ends with the same battle except you're all alone and have to fight Diao Chan and Zhang Liao as well.

:allears: His ending is basically "and then Lu Bu conquered China because he's loving Lu Bu, the end".

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
There's one bit of pay DLC up for DW8 on the Japanese store, its a recreation of some stage from DW3, which I've never played. I can't decide whether to get it or not, since I have some money left over from buying DW8 itself, but not enough to get a whole new game.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Would be nice for a hypothetical DW9 Chen Gong to get this for a send-off (he first appears on page 6).

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Chortles posted:

Not so twist after all the times that Mori Ranmaru is that final boss for the Samurai Warriors equivalents... and hell, Pokemon Conquest flips that around by having the player control Ranmaru's "faction".

Specifically, it was one of the limited-duration downloads that allowed you to play as Ranmaru in the "Rose of Ransei" campaign.

The best thing to come out of Pokemon Conquest was that around the time that Penn State scandal was at its height, I noticed that the PSU mascot, the Littany Lion, looked more than a little similar to Ranmaru's signature Pokemon, Riolu/Lucario. Then remembering Ranmaru's relationship with Nobunaga, I decided to gift PSU goon Sash! who frequently was fighting off the rampant "BURN DOWN PENN STATE!" calls with this avatar:

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The GIG posted:

Just a heads up, there's a number of edit mode outfits for $0.99US out and a few scenarios for $1.99 that came out last night.

EDIT: Also, the two Japanese gaming magazine weapons, the V-Jump sword and hook and the Famitsu Rocket Siege Spear are $0.49

Koei needs to do some season pass poo poo with these games... I would gladly just drop $15 and be able to download them all. I don't know why, but the ticky-tack buying of all these little things turns me off.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Chortles posted:

Would be nice for a hypothetical DW9 Chen Gong to get this for a send-off (he first appears on page 6).

His death in the 2010 TV series is also cool, for being the first time in the series that Cao Cao seems genuinely sad about something (and this is a guy who sees the death of his father mostly as an excuse to invade Xuzhou.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kkjnGlkEdw&t=38m19s

I was so hopeful when those rumors of Chen Gong in DW8 were circulating, oh well.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcA82snO_qQ&list=FLHddX145Go9O1u4vlUuO4ug&index=25

This was posted in-thread earlier(I believe), but given his voice actor passed recently, it seems fair to put it up again in memory.

Sima Yi is just so happy to be killing dudes.

Volcano Style
May 2, 2006

THERE IS ONLY ONE

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Pretty sure the only named characters were Sun Quan/Liu Bei/Cao Cao/Yuan Shao/Dong Zhuo/Zhang Jiao - everyone else was generics. I think there's an engine limitation on truly giving you every single PC Officer charging you at once.
Zhang Jiao in DW4's version of the Yellow Turban Rebellion has you take on pretty much everyone. Once you wipe out Liu Bei, Cao Cao, Sun Jian, Huangfu Song, Zhu Jun and He Jin, Yuan Shao's army turns up. Then Dong Zhuo's army. Then Lu Bu's army.

DW4 was a hard game.

DrWorm
Apr 22, 2003

They call me Dr. Worm. Good morning. How are you? I’m Dr. Worm.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is he saying "hee hee hee heee! WOOOO!!" as he runs away? Please tell me he is, even if it isn't true.

Chortles posted:

Then it's true. :D The whole scene seems to begin around midway through episode 27.

Dang I thought you were kidding! :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUeuolVU6HY
(skip to 5:30)

I've been playing this stupid series since DW2, and I still look forward to the next installment. What is wrong with me? (nothing, because Dynasty Warriors is a good series)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I made a new officer in Empires: a chubby, :downs: ninja named 'Haiki Ba' :v:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SirPhoebos posted:

I made a new officer in Empires: a chubby, :downs: ninja named 'Haiki Ba' :v:
In English does the game limit you to Chinese names, or can you make any crazy name?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

In English does the game limit you to Chinese names, or can you make any crazy name?

Any name within the 12 character limit. A lot of people just pretend to want to keep up immersion.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The GIG posted:

Any name within the 12 character limit. A lot of people just pretend to want to keep up immersion.

Well, it's actually an MST3K reference.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

My officers are absolutely intend on locking me in my own bases whenever possible. :saddowns: God, what I'd give to remove the Lockup strategem.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Stelas posted:

My officers are absolutely intend on locking me in my own bases whenever possible. :saddowns: God, what I'd give to remove the Lockup strategem.

Yeah, if it wasn't for the fact that once they level up they are less likely to use it and that they can get the amazing March stratagem, I would never field Orderly officers.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Zhuge Liang once trapped himself and half my army in enemy territory with a single, incredibly miss-timed rockslide. Good work, Sleeping Dragon.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm finding it hard to sit through the endgame when you are mopping up all in one go. I appreciate the AI kingdoms being more aggressive, but towards the end it just makes everything start to drag "Hey would you please stop attacking me so I can finish crushing you? Thanks. :downs:"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm still pretty mystified about these "up" and "down" lines for everyone in DW8. Take Cao Cao for instance. The game is keeping track of which lines of his I have heard, and of course they are all the "down" versions. After all, who does Cao Cao ever speak up to? The Han emperor I guess, but he isn't a playable character. Similarly, who will someone like Xiaoqiao talk down to? She's bottom of the heap, at least until one of her children becomes a playable character or something.

edit: that's weird, I checked Xiaoqiao's records and she HAS used a "down" greeting once. I don't remember who to. For her they sound very similar, since she doesn't know how to use polite Japanese anyway.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 24, 2013

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm still pretty mystified about these "up" and "down" lines for everyone in DW8. Take Cao Cao for instance. The game is keeping track of which lines of his I have heard, and of course they are all the "down" versions. After all, who does Cao Cao ever speak up to? The Han emperor I guess, but he isn't a playable character. Similarly, who will someone like Xiaoqiao talk down to? She's bottom of the heap, at least until one of her children becomes a playable character or something.

edit: that's weird, I checked Xiaoqiao's records and she HAS used a "down" greeting once. I don't remember who to. For her they sound very similar, since she doesn't know how to use polite Japanese anyway.

There was a similar mechanic in WO3 (though nothing to track when a line was used), and I'm guessing it's a matter of Japanese honorifics, because the lines don't really have any substantial difference in English.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Samurai Sanders posted:

After all, who does Cao Cao ever speak up to?

Guan Yu at Chi Bi. :colbert:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Samurai Sanders posted:

After all, who does Cao Cao ever speak up to?

Yuan Shao during the alliance? Liu Bei when talking about heroes? Dong Zhou before trying to kill him? Just some guesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I'm enjoying the Wei story mode in DW7 so far, but that stages seem to go by much quicker and seem more linear and smaller than going through DW3's Musou Mode. I liked the slower pace and "bigger" feel of DW3 better that got me hooked on the series in the first place.

Does DW7's Conquest mode scratch that itch, or would I find that feeling from another Dynasty Warriors title?