Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Well poo poo, looks like the DLC is going to be multiplayer oriented only and that there are currently no plans for single player DLC.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/20/4126956/tomb-raider-dlc-will-be-designed-entirely-for-multiplayer

What the hell. I want more tombs! This is disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Yodzilla posted:

I didn't like most of the changes in Anniversary honestly. The dinosaur segment in particular was a giant letdown and there was just something sort of off about a lot of the areas.

There were some changes I liked, but it is clear upon playing it that while a lot is the same and you can beat most levels in 15 minutes that originally took an hour, that they removed quite a bit of stuff.

But Anniversary to me always seemed half rear end because when it was released, it was only for PS2 and PC. I think it was released as a download for 360 much later. Plus, once you mastered the adrenaline headshot, combat was too easy. But I guess combat was never emphasized that much in the original either. Although I felt that Legend had some pretty cool additions to the combat.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Combat in the original Tomb Raider consisted of jumping around like an idiot and praying that you didn't get completely loving destroyed. Health and ammo were super scarce and encounters with creatures were legitimately deadly and if you screwed up your last save was probably an hour ago. Besides constant checkpointing (a good thing) Anniversary throws ammo and health at you all the time and the one-hit dodge snipe makes combat trivial.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

blackguy32 posted:

There were some changes I liked, but it is clear upon playing it that while a lot is the same and you can beat most levels in 15 minutes that originally took an hour, that they removed quite a bit of stuff.

But Anniversary to me always seemed half rear end because when it was released, it was only for PS2 and PC. I think it was released as a download for 360 much later. Plus, once you mastered the adrenaline headshot, combat was too easy. But I guess combat was never emphasized that much in the original either. Although I felt that Legend had some pretty cool additions to the combat.

Anniversary was released on disk for 360 as well. That's how I played it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Anniversary lost me when it somehow failed to make the T-Rex encounter as shocking or intimidating as the one from an early PS1 game.

Of course nothing beats exploring the first level in TR2 and suddenly wandering into one.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 20, 2013

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

teagone posted:

Well poo poo, looks like the DLC is going to be multiplayer oriented only and that there are currently no plans for single player DLC.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/20/4126956/tomb-raider-dlc-will-be-designed-entirely-for-multiplayer

What the hell. I want more tombs! This is disappointing.

I hope they change their plans when they realize no one gives a poo poo about their tacked-on multiplayer even a week after release.

e: Although after reading that article, it gives me faint hope that they've got their B team on mp and the a team is already working on pre-development of the next Tomb Raider game.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 20, 2013

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

ImpAtom posted:

Anniversary lost me when it somehow failed to make the T-Rex encounter as shocking or intimidating as the one from an early PS1 game.
Yeah, TR1's T-Rex encounter was "Aaaaaaaa, holy poo poo, a giant loving dinosaur is chasing me, ruuuuun!" and trying to stay alive long enough to plink away at it with your pistols. TRA's was more "Oh, a boss fight. Better learn its pattern." :geno:

I didn't mind the controls of the original, because it was basically a puzzle game with small combat sections. Everything was about how many blocks you could jump, climb or drop, and once you figured that out you were set. TRA, by having 'modern' controls, took that precision away. I lost count of the number of jumps Lara failed because she wasn't perfectly aligned with her target. Especially in that section in the pyramid where she had to jump onto the top of an obelisk over a deadly pit with moving, whirling blades on each side. I nearly smashed my Dualshock in frustration with that bit, and it's the #1 reason why I haven't replayed it. :argh:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Just beat it and I loved it. The gameplay was really fun, I liked most of the story, I loved jumping on ledges and running across things that are exploding or falling apart. They really made it feel like you're playing through an action movie. Wasn't a super big fan of all the various death scenes and some of the ways Lara was treated as a character. Also wasn't a huge fan of some of the more needlessly gory parts the like blood cave with all the body parts for instance what the poo poo? but it never really got that bad besides only a few parts. Also sometimes I just wanted the seemingly unending waves of enemies to end. Some gunplay sections just felt like they took forever. All in all though a very fun game.

The one thing I really really liked that I noticed the most, was that there didn't seem to be a BEST weapon. I guess with the exception of the pistol which I only really used when I ran out of ammo of the other weapons, I always cycled between them. Sometimes some situations just felt better with the bow or fire bow, or shotgun or grenade launcher or whatever. Sometimes it was just fun to switch it up. Sometimes it was just fun to swing your axe into someone's face. It was really refreshing because too many games give you all these weapon choices, but only one is really the best in any situation (for instance in Bioshock the shotgun with the electric shells).

I loved how nonsensical so many of the campsites were :haw:

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 21, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Also wasn't a huge fan of some of the more needlessly gory parts the like blood cave with all the body parts for instance what the poo poo?

That entire sequence was a long extended homage to The Descent. It's kinda weird and out of place because of that.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The horror aspects were by favorite part of the game. I'd love to see a full on horror Tomb Raider.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

This is the first Tomb Raider game I've ever played and I loved it so much I immediately bought the Tomb Raider trilogy, as soon as I completed this game. But I'm about an hour into Tomb Raider anniversary and so far I'm pretty disappointed. I heard they majorly overhauled the graphics and I was expecting the game to look like a ps3 game. But it really looks like a PS2 game. So far it's pretty dull, does it get better?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

DrunkPanda posted:

This is the first Tomb Raider game I've ever played and I loved it so much I immediately bought the Tomb Raider trilogy, as soon as I completed this game. But I'm about an hour into Tomb Raider anniversary and so far I'm pretty disappointed. I heard they majorly overhauled the graphics and I was expecting the game to look like a ps3 game. But it really looks like a PS2 game. So far it's pretty dull, does it get better?

If you don't like it so far, then you probably won't like it. Personally, I thought the Anniversary Collection was disappointing. Legend and Underworld were much more interesting to me.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ImpAtom posted:

That entire sequence was a long extended homage to The Descent. It's kinda weird and out of place because of that.

I dunno man, I thought the spot with the river of blood was kind of neat, but the part where you're walking through all the dismembered corpses and all the heads and limbs are flopping about in the physics engine makes me a little uncomfortable every time.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

DangerKat posted:

Does anyone here like steelbook cases? I got it with my copy at Target bit am trading the game in now that I beat it. Figured I would check and see if anyone wanted to swap cases before I did.

I got this too, I didn't even realize it was in a steel case until I got home and removed the plastic. Do all PS3 copies of the game come with this? :confused: I got it from Target, if it matters.

Either way, I hope more games start doing this steelbook thing. :3:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

DrunkPanda posted:

It was overhauled from a PS1 game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Mordaedil posted:

It was overhauled from a PS1 game.

drat, despite being a really weak game Angel of Darkness looks like the biggest leap when it comes to graphics.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Angel of Darkness was the only Playstation 2 exclusive game, as I recall.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Angel of Darkness also had really, really lovely controls, because they were held over from the previous games and somehow worked even less.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Hahahaha, holy gently caress, Lara becomes this insane murderer. After she kills that dude with the grenade launcher, she screams and yells I'M COMING FOR YOU, YOU BASTARDS! It's like I'm replaying Far Cry 3 or something :allears:

Well, her being forced to kill quite a lot of people is mentioned later on by Mathias, although I wished they had dwelled a bit more on the point. Same with the parallel of development between Mathias and her and the different moral places their journey took them to. It should have been more fleshed out outside the journals.
The "Oh, god, she has a grenade launcher. Where did she get a loving grenade launcher from?""That's right, and I'm coming for you"-line was simply great, defiant, lashing out, pent up anger releasing. Perfect VA.

Edit: And apparently the body count you rake up in the game (about 300 judging from me getting the "200 enemies killed" "achievement" 2/3 into the game) was already a compromise:

quote:

"Tomb Raider raised a lot of comparisons to the Uncharted series, and both games show that tension of having very life-like and ordinary human characters killing hordes of bad guys," Pratchett told Kill Screen. "This is a constant tension, and I don't imagine that any one game developer has the magic bullet to just solve it.

"It is very difficult. I think it is all about the suspension of disbelief that you have when going into a game. It's very difficult to keep that good affable character. But what we tried to do with Lara was at least halve the first death count."

"It's about balancing the needs of gameplay with the needs of narrative. The needs of narrative don't always trump the needs of gameplay," Pratchett explained. "In fact, it's usually the other way around. And so I'd say from a narrative perspective, we would have liked the ramp-up to be a bit slower.

"But, you know, there are other factors to be considered! When players get a gun, they generally want to use the gun. We were brave in going such a long time without giving players a gun in a game where you end up doing a lot of shooting. We tried to innovate a little bit, but narrative can't always win. Ideally if you can find a sweet spot, that's great. But sometimes combat, or gameplay or whatever, has to win out."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-21-tomb-raider-writer-lara-crofts-kill-count-was-at-least-halved

Decius fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Mar 21, 2013

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho
A little late to the party, but TR3 was the Dark Souls of Tomb Raiders.

Its predecessor was also difficult at times, but 3 was just brutal. The save system forced you to play the same way you would have in a Dark Souls game, because death obviously had consequences. I'm pretty sure I avoided certain places when I didn't feel they were safe enough for me to look around. Isn't it just wonderful when a video-game has you reasoning like that?

When it came out in 1998 most magazines gave that game rave reviews and it's still considered the best in the series by some. Lucky for us, we now have adventure games like AC where running, jumping, climbing and swimming are all context sensitive, and all controlled by the same one button. Video-game design sure has gone places in these last 15 years. The feeling of discovery and adventure is more electrifying than ever!

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
I don't understand how people are making her out to be an unsympathetic, psychopathic serial killer. The first person she met on the island was a corpse, and the second tried to kill her.

I couldn't even play a multiplayer game if I tried. Total ghost town. For the better, from the sounds of it. Hope the next game has some longer tombs; wasn't expecting a one-puzzle per kind of deal. Also the wolf cave gave me the heeby jeebies. I just want more. More action, more scares, more puzzles. Maybe real multiplayer? New Game+? Super disappointed that I finished the game and that's pretty much it.

Also I'm glad she's wearing pants. Those short shorts are ridiculous Now she needs a jacket and gloves because what the hell, it's cold af.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Palpek posted:

drat, despite being a really weak game Angel of Darkness looks like the biggest leap when it comes to graphics.

It's just that screenshot. Angel of Darkness was bad looking even when it was new and the leap came from mostly there being a three year gap and a new generation of hardware between it and Chronicles. Legend and Underworld are leagues better than that.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Paino posted:

A little late to the party, but TR3 was the Dark Souls of Tomb Raiders.

Its predecessor was also difficult at times, but 3 was just brutal. The save system forced you to play the same way you would have in a Dark Souls game, because death obviously had consequences. I'm pretty sure I avoided certain places when I didn't feel they were safe enough for me to look around. Isn't it just wonderful when a video-game has you reasoning like that?

When it came out in 1998 most magazines gave that game rave reviews and it's still considered the best in the series by some. Lucky for us, we now have adventure games like AC where running, jumping, climbing and swimming are all context sensitive, and all controlled by the same one button. Video-game design sure has gone places in these last 15 years. The feeling of discovery and adventure is more electrifying than ever!

Yeah, I think the first 3 games follow an interesting progression.

TR is pretty pure, mostly animals and "tomb-y" puzzles like boulder traps. On the PS1 you could only save at predetermined points, which is rough now but was pretty standard at the time. You could save as much as you wanted though.

TR2 had some tombs but a lot more human influence, in the enemies and levels. More buildings and machinery, more doors and switches that are electronic, more military weaponry and action. You could save anywhere too. I think combat in TR2 got quite a bit harder with the addition of gun-toting enemies and more combat in hazardous areas (like cliffs, near pools) vs. TR1's more room-oriented designs in many tombs.

TR3 indeed got really tough. They introduced sprinting and crouching which introduced a lot of brutally-timed puzzles where you had to outsprint boulders or moving spike walls or roll through flames, even in the first level. It didn't help that the very first level starts with a giant hill with several instant-death traps on the way down, and quicksand and piranha-infested rivers across the rest of the level. You collected save crystals so you could save anytime, but you had to use items. The devs claimed it was a blend of TR1 and 2, but it ended up being tough because the save crystals were pretty limited, especially as the game got harder later on.

I think they increasingly had trial-and-error areas as the series went on, which got frustrating when you hadn't saved for an hour or two. Several hubs like the London subway were just f'ing hard in general, with obtuse layouts and unclear puzzle item interactions and random subway trains to run you over. Not to mention secrets you'd never find without a guide.

The levels definitely got amazing though. In one single level in TR3 you break out of an Area 51 cell, evade laser-trapped air ducts, launch a (full size) space rocket, climb into a UFO with dissected aliens around it, and swim in a huge water tank with giant orcas. TR1 had maybe one moment like that per level, if that. TR2 had some awesome scenery but I don't think I ever beat that Tibet level with the snowmobile jump across the chasm, jumps got sort of arbitary and hard at a lot of parts of that. Navigating Lara on the "grid" in those old days was like manipulating a chess piece at times.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Decius posted:

Well, her being forced to kill quite a lot of people is mentioned later on by Mathias, although I wished they had dwelled a bit more on the point. Same with the parallel of development between Mathias and her and the different moral places their journey took them to. It should have been more fleshed out outside the journals.
The "Oh, god, she has a grenade launcher. Where did she get a loving grenade launcher from?""That's right, and I'm coming for you"-line was simply great, defiant, lashing out, pent up anger releasing. Perfect VA.

Edit: And apparently the body count you rake up in the game (about 300 judging from me getting the "200 enemies killed" "achievement" 2/3 into the game) was already a compromise:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-21-tomb-raider-writer-lara-crofts-kill-count-was-at-least-halved

One way to deal with the dissonance between kill-count and story that keeps getting talked about off and on in this thread and by the writer in that article could be to make individual enemies tougher and part of more drawn out (and in places scripted,) encounters. Make the fight for survival with one or a small group of human enemies play out like a duel, sometimes through environmental hazards. Have scoring a "hit" on someone force them to retreat out of the player's reach, only to pop up again a few times until some climactic event that plays out like a small mini-boss fight.

The original Tomb Raider actually has an example of something like this. Towards the middle of the game you're competing with a rival treasure hunter in the Roman ruins and he pops up at various points throughout the chapter shooting at you, then disappears after you hit him a few times, and you eventually kill him in a final encounter. I think the million-mook-mash is just something developers fall back on since it's tried, true and probably easier to design.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
They could also not have constant experience counters and bars popping up to congratulate you on ventilating an enemy's skull in between trying to depict the Horrors of Violence. Spec Ops barely got away with that nonsense, it sure won't work a second time.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The exp system and positive feedback during combat is integral to the story Tomb Raider is telling. I wouldn't want them to remove one of the strongest connections between the narrative and the gameplay.

Very dissapointed to hear that there very much likely won't be any singleplayer DLC. I want to support the game, but I'm not going to pay for content I'm not going to use/be able to use for very long.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 22, 2013

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

DrunkPanda posted:

Underworld looks a little better. Anniversary was in development for PS2/Gamecube first and began life as a PSP title so it is a bit underwhelming visually.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
How have they not noticed that literally noone is playing the multiplayer, or that the only dlc people want at all is more single player?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

P Funk Chainsaw posted:

How have they not noticed that literally noone is playing the multiplayer, or that the only dlc people want at all is more single player?

Their DLC plans were probably put in place before the game's release.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
How did they not realize that the mp was kinda bad through focus testing long before those decisions were made :(

I'm so disappointed that there is no single player DLC. Hopefully the team is hard at work already and that sequel comes really quickly.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dan Didio posted:

The exp system and positive feedback during combat is integral to the story Tomb Raider is telling. I wouldn't want them to remove one of the strongest connections between the narrative and the gameplay.

Que? It didn't turn out to be nearly as obnoxious as I'd feared before release, but it sure as poo poo didn't add anything to the experience.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

DrNutt posted:

Que? It didn't turn out to be nearly as obnoxious as I'd feared before release, but it sure as poo poo didn't add anything to the experience.

It's supposed to be a tangible presentation of her evolution into the adventurer she becomes.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'd use the phrase killer as well as adventurer, but yes.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I just got to the point where I could go into the first optional tomb, when you can climb craggy rocks. Is it worth it to look at my map to find the hiddens for now? I'm standing right at one and I can't find it. :\ What does the lock symbol mean on a relic or document on my map?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Dan Didio posted:

Pretty much. If anything I'd say they probably didn't go far enough in demonstrating this. The more I think about it the more I love the whole she's a goddamn sociopath interpretation, but it seems the writer got cold feet and tried to pull things back and ended up rather muddled.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Dan Didio posted:

Problem is it's a universal mechanic that will instantly bring up associations with, er, call of duty multiplayer and has nothing implicitly connected to Lara, really.

I found it distracting rather than effective. Maybe if they had changed what it said over the course of the game.

I like Lara the murderess tho

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Capsaicin posted:

I just got to the point where I could go into the first optional tomb, when you can climb craggy rocks. Is it worth it to look at my map to find the hiddens for now? I'm standing right at one and I can't find it. :\ What does the lock symbol mean on a relic or document on my map?

If it has a lock over it, you don't have the the relevant piece of equipment to be able to reach it yet.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

SurrealityCheck posted:

Problem is it's a universal mechanic that will instantly bring up associations with, er, call of duty multiplayer and has nothing implicitly connected to Lara, really.

I think that's quite clearly a problem with the player rather than Tomb Raider itself, though. Not to be blunt, but, I mean, I'm sorry, but if you look at an Exp system for killing things and think Call of Duty multiplayer (not entirely sure why this is a henious association, but I think I understand the implication it's supposed to draw) then I don't think the issue is with the game. Thousands of games have had similar systems. It's not Tomb Raider's fault that it applied an appropriate sytem that happens to resemble one of it's contemporaries.

I don't know what 'connected to Lara' means here, either. It's definitely connected to Lara's story and her in this title. Do you mean the iconic figure of Lara? Her history? Perhaps, those. But I think it's pretty clear that Tomb Raider isn't concerned with drawing associations to the iconic figure of Lara Croft until she's actually ready of becoming something akin to that figure, and when it does, it's in a disparaging context (I'm not that kind of Croft), which if anything supports the idea that system should be applied.

I don't know, I sort of fundamentally don't understand where people talking of dissonance and such are coming from, I suppose. If it's a similar response, I guess that's why. I'm not really sure what point this is supposed to make. Help me out here.

poptart_fairy posted:

Pretty much. If anything I'd say they probably didn't go far enough in demonstrating this. The more I think about it the more I love the whole she's a goddamn sociopath interpretation, but it seems the writer got cold feet and tried to pull things back and ended up rather muddled.

I don't think they were trying to portray her as a sociopath. In fact, I think the wierd culture that Spec Ops: The Line and Far Cry 3 have, somewhat inadvertantly, in the latter's case, of killing in a game being inherently something to be looked down upon and that says something is wrong with the protagonist is very misguided.

Lara's a killer, sure, but she's not deficient. She's a hero. I think there's a certain approach to games right now that implies that any amount of killing conducted by a protagonist who is at first reluctant to kill is dissonant and discordant, or means that they are morally confused, and I just don't think that's the case here; in either example.

I think it's pretty clear that the story is about Lara becoming an accomplished killer, for quite altruistic reasons. I mean, the one time that I can think of off the top of my head that Lara kills in cold blood and seems to take pleasure in it, it's explicitly shown that if you choose not to Lara is hamstringed in attempting to save her friends.

I mean Lara's does have to become someone who kills readily, but I don't think that in itself is sociopathic. Maybe if you strip away the surrounding context of her actions.

Maybe I'm biased because I didn't particularly find the writing in Spec Ops: The Line or Far Cry 3 that impressive or affecting, but I found Tomb Raider's morally blunt and alternative assertion quite refreshing and interesting.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 22, 2013

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Neo Rasa posted:

Anniversary was in development for PS2/Gamecube first and began life as a PSP title so it is a bit underwhelming visually.
There were two versions of Anniversary; Core were working on one for PSP under the radar, and a video of it was leaked - but then Eidos stamped on it and soon after announced that Crystal Dynamics would be developing their own version instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Dan Didio posted:

I think that's quite clearly a problem with the player rather than Tomb Raider itself, though. Not to be blunt, but, I mean, I'm sorry, but if you look at an Exp system for killing things and think Call of Duty multiplayer (not entirely sure why this is a henious association, but I think I understand the implication it's supposed to draw) then I don't think the issue is with the game. Thousands of games have had similar systems. It's not Tomb Raider's fault that it applied an appropriate sytem that happens to resemble one of it's contemporaries.

It's the way it pops up in white text as you do it! It's purely the association, because it turns killing dudes into a rote xp maximisation problem. I headshotted everybody in order to maximise xp revenue because I am a numberslave. I never used the shotgun because it returns less xp because getting consistent headshots with it is a waste of time.

The curse of the white text popup...

SurrealityCheck fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 22, 2013

• Locked thread