Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Awesome thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Powerpuff Girls! Awake! Quigley Down Under! Great stuff coming up, for sure.

Awake had pretty much the best pilot episode of any network TV show ever, and watching the whole season and thinking of it as one long movie should work in its favor. And while it got cancelled, they did end the season in the "it's not the end, but it's an end" way, so you won't feel too frustrated.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Monkeyseesaw posted:

I went into Bernie thinking the main plot line was a whodunit over whether he had killed her or not so when he straight up shot her and stuffed her in a freezer about 2/3 in the movie suddenly threw this delightful curveball right at my face.

I haven't even seen the movie but is this really supposed to be a twist? I thought it was just the main premise, and anybody remotely curious could just look up the real-life case the movie was based on and know that plot point, considering it actually happened.

Isn't the movie more about the events surrounded it anyways, and not the act itself?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Happy Fun Bollocks posted:

I use my headphones for everything and I have the volume all the way up but I'm having trouble hearing the dialogue on Netflix. Is there any way to make the PC version louder? I'm used to being able to ramp VLC up to 200% when necessary. There is no way I am paying for this if I can't hear it.

If you have higher end headphones, a lot of times they need a headphone amp to drive them -- higher resistance or something.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I've never seen The Last Temptation of Christ and am very much looking forward to rectifying that.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I've never seen The Last Temptation of Christ and am very much looking forward to rectifying that.

It's legit good.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's my favorite Scorcese movie, although I think I'm largely alone in this.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CPFortest posted:

It's my favorite Scorcese movie, although I think I'm largely alone in this.

Nah, I'd definitely rank it as his best, but it is very different to the rest of his films so it's a bit weird comparing them.

I was old enough when it came out to remember people protesting. It was precious.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Hewlett posted:

It's legit good.

I'm a huge fan of Dafoe and Scorsese so I'm pretty excited.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Happy Fun Bollocks posted:

I use my headphones for everything and I have the volume all the way up but I'm having trouble hearing the dialogue on Netflix. Is there any way to make the PC version louder? I'm used to being able to ramp VLC up to 200% when necessary. There is no way I am paying for this if I can't hear it.

Make sure your PC isn't trying to output 5.1 or something to your headphones or just in general isn't doing anything really stupid in the downmix process.

Also, The Powerpuff Girls! I love that show!

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Just finished watching Jekyll and it was legit awesome. People should watch it if you like the whole 'jekyll and hyde' thing and also lions.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

nthing the recommendation for Safety not Guaranteed. Just finished watching it and I absolutely loved it. Not at all what I expected, but really enjoyable all the way through.

Pick Hard
Sep 10, 2011
According to http://www.streamingsoon.com there's some good stuff coming soon: Samurai Jack, Batman Beyond, Dexter's Lab, Justice League Unlimited, Bad Company, Young Mr. Lincoln, some James Bond titles.

Pick Hard fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 20, 2013

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Pick Hard posted:

According to http://www.streamingsoon.com/there's some good stuff coming soon: Samurai Jack, Batman Beyond, Dexter's Lab, Justice League Unlimited, Bad Company, Young Mr. Lincoln, some James Bond titles.

Looks like Mad Men Season 5 is going up on the 25th, as well.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Holy Motors and The Comedy are popping up soon also.

E: And Fringe YES!

foodfight fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 20, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Der Shovel posted:

Also, The Powerpuff Girls! I love that show!

I really hope they also get Powerpuff Girls Z eventually. I mean, I know they're all on YouTube already but, y'know.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Looks like we're getting Bond films again, hopefully they stick around a bit longer than the last 2-3 times we've had them.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Tewratomeh posted:

I haven't even seen the movie but is this really supposed to be a twist? I thought it was just the main premise, and anybody remotely curious could just look up the real-life case the movie was based on and know that plot point, considering it actually happened.

Isn't the movie more about the events surrounded it anyways, and not the act itself?

No it's not a twist at all, I went in with a complete misconception of what it was about. It ended up being about something *so much better* hence the curveball.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Netflix is about to get really interesting.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Awesome. I've always wanted to see Samurai Jack. I saw the premiere movie-length thing but nothing past it.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Just want to reiterate how amazing this film is

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

DO IT TO IT posted:

Awesome. I've always wanted to see Samurai Jack. I saw the premiere movie-length thing but nothing past it.

Aw man, you're in for a treat.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

precision posted:

Powerpuff Girls! Awake! Quigley Down Under! Great stuff coming up, for sure.

Awake had pretty much the best pilot episode of any network TV show ever, and watching the whole season and thinking of it as one long movie should work in its favor. And while it got cancelled, they did end the season in the "it's not the end, but it's an end" way, so you won't feel too frustrated.

A modern tragedy, Kyle Killen. He writes an incredible screenplay, is on the Black List for years. Then he creates a wonderful show the critics love, cancelled after two episodes, I recall. (LONE STAR) Then that movie gets made, and is fairly great, but was buried under bad press (THE BEAVER, Mel Gibson). Then again he went to television with AWAKE, and his wonderful vision remained squandered by the public.

Really, he just cannot catch a break.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

soapgish posted:

A modern tragedy, Kyle Killen. He writes an incredible screenplay, is on the Black List for years. Then he creates a wonderful show the critics love, cancelled after two episodes, I recall. (LONE STAR) Then that movie gets made, and is fairly great, but was buried under bad press (THE BEAVER, Mel Gibson). Then again he went to television with AWAKE, and his wonderful vision remained squandered by the public.

Really, he just cannot catch a break.

The pilot of Awake was critically acclaimed, but the remainder of the series got kind of disappointing reviews. I haven't seen anything but the first episode yet, but reviews I read felt that the show didn't really know what to do with itself and made bad choices. A great pilot doesn't automatically mean the rest of the show is great (and many great shows had pretty bad pilots, actually).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
When The Comedy comes up, watch it because it's terrifying.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Hey neat. A new Netflix Original™ "Hemlock Grove".

I only heard about it because my 4 year old put on netflix to watch Garfield & Friends and told me to get the scary wolf off the screen. Thanks Netflix :thumbsup:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

maxnmona posted:

The pilot of Awake was critically acclaimed, but the remainder of the series got kind of disappointing reviews. I haven't seen anything but the first episode yet, but reviews I read felt that the show didn't really know what to do with itself and made bad choices. A great pilot doesn't automatically mean the rest of the show is great (and many great shows had pretty bad pilots, actually).

It was certainly a bit hit or miss, but I thought it was far more "hit" and everything from about the midpoint to the end is pretty loving amazing and delivered way more on the "mindfuck" aspect than I think anyone even suspected it would.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...
Hey guys. Any of yall know of a good movie to put on the big screen that is primarily Cool Scenes and or Has A Lot Of Visuals to put on while I'm hosting people and listening to music on the system?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

Hey guys. Any of yall know of a good movie to put on the big screen that is primarily Cool Scenes and or Has A Lot Of Visuals to put on while I'm hosting people and listening to music on the system?

BEYOND THE BLACK RAINBOW has all your bases covered.

http://youtu.be/Q1ertVYn750

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

Fantastic Planet is a good one.

Edit: I forgot which thread I was in!

morestuff fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 22, 2013

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Enter the Void: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKRxDP--e-Y Maybe too trippy and distracting, depending on what kind of party you're going for.

The Fall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO0LYcCoeJY

Cave of Forgotten Dreams: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZFP5HfJPTY May be a bit too documentary-y

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I imagine it depends on the audience a little bit but if you like insects this is good. Or there's stuff out there like 42nd street forever, retard-o-tron or archive mashup video mixtapes, though these tend to vary a lot in quality.

Otherwise

Naqoyqatsi
The Fall
Barbarella: Queen Of The Galaxy
The Wiz
Enter The Void
I Melt With You
and so on. the just for kids section has some stuff that might suit, depending on the audience perhaps. Not children. Drug takers.

justcola fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 22, 2013

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Enter the Void has some trippy stuff bit it'd be a terrible idea to just leave it on to provide a mood for a party. It has a graphic abortion scene for god's sake. That'd be a bummer.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...
Thanks for the quick replies! Btw Fantastic Planet isn't on US instant.

MAJOR STRYkER fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 22, 2013

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I once went through Enter The Void with adobe premiere and almost completely edited out the sister character, it made the film about 90 minutes long and less depressing. I find a decent youtube playlist can be good enough at some get togethers, has variety, no narrative and can be a lot more bespoke as to what you're going for.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

soapgish posted:

BEYOND THE BLACK RAINBOW has all your bases covered.

http://youtu.be/Q1ertVYn750

This is the perfect recommendation, just don't watch the movie under other circumstances.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

Thanks for the quick replies! Btw Fantastic Planet isn't on US instant.

Yeah, I forgot which thread I was in. Sorry!

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

justcola posted:

Naqoyqatsi
Oh cool I didn't know this was up. The first thing I thought of was Koyaanisqatsi but it's not up, I didn't think of looking for the other one. This seems like a perfect movie for what you're talking about though, it's basically nothing but imagery.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

So, I haven't had the chance to start it up yet, but is An Easter Bunny Puppy in the same special place as A Talking Cat!?! ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

axleblaze posted:

Enter the Void has some trippy stuff bit it'd be a terrible idea to just leave it on to provide a mood for a party. It has a graphic abortion scene for god's sake. That'd be a bummer.

Ugh, Enter the Void is intense. Make sure you are in a good place in life, and not drunk or high.

• Locked thread