Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I would quite recommend soda blasting those cases before your planned polishing. All it takes is a siphon type gun, a beefy air compressor, and a bunch of blasting soda. It works wonders. Also, I think the best situation function wise for the cooling fins is to bead blast them. Leaves a nice surface for good heat transfer and all that. I've been dreaming about trying out the clear gunkote ptfe dry lube ceramic on polished engine housings to keep them sparkling. Not sure how it stacks up against other clear coats in terms of looks, but the opaque versions hold up wonderfully on my brake components.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sagebrush posted:

Not the ride itself, but for the ride: I bought an air-powered die grinder (cheap cheap, go harbor freight) and a bunch of mild abrasive wheels and scotchbrite discs to clean up the engine cases and cooling fins, which I was never really able to get deeply into before now. I've got a feeling that this small, lightweight die grinder spinning far beyond the rated speed of the abrasive wheels should be hella fun to play with. Eye protection definitely required.

Still need to buy some more paint thinner and acetone to dissolve off the layers of caked oily grime and degrease the surfaces, though. Soon.

If you follow the lube procedure on that die grinder, it'll last forever. If not, the bearing will puke out the front, sending shards of aluminum everywhere.

Super overspinning scotchbrite pads just spins the hub out of the pad, and you're left with a bunch of donut-shaped green scrubbies (brown, gray, red, whatever).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Good to know! Yes, I oil and grease all my tools and do my best to keep them in good shape. But that makes sense for what happens to the pads. I think I might just put a little stopper ring around the shaft of the grinder to limit the travel of the throttle more easily; no reason to ruin the discs if I don't have to.

C64: I considered soda blasting but I really don't have a place to do it. San Francisco doesn't have a whole lot of open spaces you can temporarily cover with blasting media, even if it is water-soluble...one of the things I miss from living in middle of nowhere, Canada. I know that one of our departments has a moderately sized sandblasting cabinet rusting away on a loading dock, but I'm not sure that it has the gun and also it doesn't belong to us.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Took off the Pilot Powers that the PO had on my 919. They were completely hosed since buying the bike by the PO running them too low I think. Squared off on the rear, raised center ridge on the front. New set of Pilot Road 3's. I never really felt confident in turns and couldn't figure out exactly why. It's all better now.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Powers always do that on the front :(

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Modded the throttle tube on the DRZ with some epoxy to save $15 on an R6 throttle tube, then took a torch to the brake lever to bend it back mostly into shape after I bent it into a J off-road last week.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My motor comes tomorrow but the pan gasket I ordered still hasn't shipped. Guess I'll be trying to cut one out of a gasket maker... they are baffled gaskets so I suppose I'll spend some time copying the old one with a razor.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

My motor comes tomorrow but the pan gasket I ordered still hasn't shipped. Guess I'll be trying to cut one out of a gasket maker... they are baffled gaskets so I suppose I'll spend some time copying the old one with a razor.

Not sure what a baffled gasket is, so that might gently caress up the idea. Otherwise, I've seen folks cut gaskets by laying the part on gasket paper and using a mallet to punch out the gasket. Would that work here to cut it, or at least get it started?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I got some dry roads while I wasn't busy yesterday and took the Uly for a shakedown after doing the fuel spark maps. Holy cow, what a totally different ride. Everything is smoother and more relaxed feeling, it warms up faster, doesn't throw codes, and it really rips over 4000rpm (though on the other hand my butt-dyno tells me I might have sacrificed some mid-range punch to the narrow-band gods).

I think it's pretty much done. Now I need to work on making some handlebar fringe. Can't ride to a Texas Harley rally without handlebar fringe.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Tamir Lenk posted:

Not sure what a baffled gasket is, so that might gently caress up the idea. Otherwise, I've seen folks cut gaskets by laying the part on gasket paper and using a mallet to punch out the gasket. Would that work here to cut it, or at least get it started?

I'm gonna try and remove the oil pan while keeping the gasket intact... the pan is broken on the new engine. We shall see.

edit: here we go, stripped the harness, throttle cables, and clutch cable off.

edit2: THANK YOU SWEET BABY MOTHAFUCKIN JESUS, pan gasket is still good. Old pan was destroyed and the water pump drain was bent... put my old drain in and I've cleaned my 06 pan up to go on it. Engine going in tonight, maybe even first start (fingers crossed).

edit3: and then there was an 09 motor in my 06 chassis.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 21, 2013

AzraelDM
Feb 26, 2011
I changed my back tire.
Then I said a lot of bad words and turned it around the right way. :downs:

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..

BlackMK4 posted:

edit3: and then there was an 09 motor in my 06 chassis.

Your bike is pregnant...

Seriously though, that oil pan is massive.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

xd posted:

Your bike is pregnant...

Seriously though, that oil pan is massive.

Seriously. It holds 4 quarts :downs:
I've got the throttle bodies back in, the throttle and clutch working, and am starting on the harness now. This bastard will be started tonight... but first I have to get dinner with MY GIRLFRIEND. Then she's gonna sit in the garage and watch me cuss at the bike.

I also need to find a 36mm socket as it's different than the sprocket nut that was on my motor. Weird, oh well.

I pulled the valve cover and all of the valves were in spec. I'm assuming they had been adjusted before or something judging by tool marks on fasteners; apparently the motor had 9k on it. Looks like it has been down twice, with the more recent time being the lesser damaging one.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 21, 2013

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
FYI BlackMK4 a girl rode a 675 around Daytona for 200 miles a few days ago and she didn't blow her motor up. Way to go.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I'm eagerly waiting for MK4 to start the bike and the new engine to vibrate the frame to dust, the way his luck's been.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hahahahaha. Bastards :)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I got this far before realizing I left my wrenches downstairs. I had most of my gear wrenches, and I found the one marked 10mm / 6mm. "How funny," I thought, "that the 10mm would be paired with the 6mm." I tried unscrewing the pilot jet holders with the 6mm, only to find out that it was in fact 9mm.

I decided to call it a night at that point.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

I'm eagerly waiting for MK4 to start the bike and the new engine to vibrate the frame to dust, the way his luck's been.

Hopefully he doesn't screw up his electrical work!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4hYXoMga6g

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

theperminator posted:

The comments for that video were painful to read. How many times can some jackasses make the same "hot bike!" and "ghost rider:haw:" jokes? Did they even read any of the other comments?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

theperminator posted:

My girlfriend got me drunk as gently caress while I was doing the wiring so I've wisely given up until tomorrow.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Wait, do you have a photo of the destroyed sump? how the hell did the previous owner manage to do that?

How difficult is it to get the engine into the frame anyway? when I pulled the engine out of my old 675 it was hard enough just getting it out because of the shape of the pan, couldn't get it to balance on the jack.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've said this before, but am I the only goddamned motherfucker who carries a small fire extinguisher on every vehicle I'm riding that's powered by the explosions of a refined petroleum? They're pretty small and can be strapped almost anywhere, even on a faired motorcycle. One of those could have stopped that fire back when it was simply a complete rewire and some new fairings and before it became a complete write-off. Look at this poo poo. It's only like :20bux: Still too big? BAM,, motherfucker.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

My girlfriend got me drunk as gently caress while I was doing the wiring so I've wisely given up until tomorrow.

What changes are there? I had a look at my haynes book which claims to have "06-10" but only shows a difference between 06-07 and 08+ and that's just the inclusion of a fuel pump relay.

Re: Fire extinguisher, I have no idea where one would hide one on a bike. my bike has room for a screwdriver and an owners manual and that's it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Geirskogul posted:

I've said this before, but am I the only goddamned motherfucker who carries a small fire extinguisher on every vehicle I'm riding that's powered by the explosions of a refined petroleum? They're pretty small and can be strapped almost anywhere, even on a faired motorcycle. One of those could have stopped that fire back when it was simply a complete rewire and some new fairings and before it became a complete write-off. Look at this poo poo. It's only like :20bux: Still too big? BAM,, motherfucker.
I am the biggest proponent for carrying a fire extinguisher on every vehicle.
But in that guy's case I think it was hopeless.
He MIGHT get it out, but until he fixes what's shorting out (and all the new wires that are shorting out after melting) then it's jut going to catch fire again.
Also, once that gas tank catches, just let it go.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Electrical fires don't always keep re-catching. What usually happens with a vehicle electrical fire, if you catch it early, is you put the actual fire out, and it either re-catches there (and you just put it out again until the battery goes kaput, easy enough), melts a wire somewhere else that breaks the circuit, melts a wire somewhere else that makes another spot fire (that you put out), or it just shorts together on some beefy wires and the battery fails.

On a car, it can be difficult to catch the secondaries, but it is also usually easy enough to disconnect the battery. On a bike, while the battery can sometimes be a pain to get to, it is easy enough, even with a small extinguisher, to monitor the bike for awhile until it reaches one of the stop states mentioned above. Or until somebody grabs a Leatherman and clips a critical wire.

I'm not just talking out of my rear end. My Enfield had its factory wiring harness catch fire inside the headlight bucket (the bike died, and I noticed smoke coming out of it after I had stopped for a few minutes). I have an extinguisher strapped to the front down tube, so I put that small smolder out, and it caught fire under the seat at the voltage regulator. I hit that one, and everything slowly puttered and smelled bad until I pulled a battery cable with my pliers. I had to re-wire the bike and buy new gauges, but that's better than having to get an entire new bike.

I agree with you that the motorcycle, as in the video, was too far gone. Fires don't start all gigantic like that, though. It started smaller somewhere (even spilled gas on the engine igniting is small in comparison), and the dumbass didn't have an extinguisher, and it killed his bike. His fault.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
It's not the only one, it happened to another graphite 06 as well

I think some guys found that the frame castings were pretty poo poo on the earlier models, and that the main 12v lead for the battery tended to get damaged from rubbing on the frame just underneath the tank. it probably doesn't help that the stator plugs are underneath the fuel tank too, a couple of guys have had their stator connectors burn.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Geirskogul posted:

Never thought about it before, but now that you mention it, and since I have an Italian bike, I'm considering one of those.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I am the biggest proponent for carrying a fire extinguisher on every vehicle.
But in that guy's case I think it was hopeless.
He MIGHT get it out, but until he fixes what's shorting out (and all the new wires that are shorting out after melting) then it's jut going to catch fire again.
Also, once that gas tank catches, just let it go.

I may get the small one before my AZ trip. My Grandpa rides a Harley, I might need it...
:cawg:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah an extinguisher might be good insurance for my Texas run.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

theperminator posted:

Wait, do you have a photo of the destroyed sump? how the hell did the previous owner manage to do that?

How difficult is it to get the engine into the frame anyway? when I pulled the engine out of my old 675 it was hard enough just getting it out because of the shape of the pan, couldn't get it to balance on the jack.

I'm assuming that the sump got damaged after / during removal from the bike - kinda like it was dropped. :lol: I have a picture where I compared the two pans and they are the same part number but not one from the outside of the sump, I'll take one in a bit.

Getting the engine into the frame is kinda a pain in the rear end - I had my girlfriend keep the engine balanced on a jack and I had to lift the frame up and over the engine while bringing the engine in from the left. Got the front (frame slider) bolts through and then slowly jacked up the engine to line up the rear bolts. Frame adjusters weren't a big deal.

theperminator posted:

What changes are there? I had a look at my haynes book which claims to have "06-10" but only shows a difference between 06-07 and 08+ and that's just the inclusion of a fuel pump relay.

Re: Fire extinguisher, I have no idea where one would hide one on a bike. my bike has room for a screwdriver and an owners manual and that's it.
Mmm, off the top of my head there is no headlight subharness anymore and there are a few different (major) plug changes at the front of the harness. I should have taken pictures.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Today I fitted my new tail tidy, and ended up cursing Italians for the opposite reason than normal. Rather than the wiring to the tail being as slapdash as you'd expect it was all beautifully done and - this is where the problems started - ziptied in place perfectly, with no slack anywhere. I eventually had to go to the chemists and buy a pair of those long-handled sideways nail scissors for old/fat/old+fat people who can't otherwise reach their toes to get to the final one, and that lack of slack made rerouting the indicators just an absolute loving joy. It was like trying to undo a barbed-wire bra.

Anyway whatever deviant designed the tail tidy said to just use the old nuts and bolts - except there aren't bolts, instead a sort of threaded paperclip affair. Two of them worked fine, the other not so much because the tidy doesn't come anywhere near the old mounting point. Luckily I've got a Pro-Bolt set coming in anyway so I'll be able to replace the bodge (using the clip thing as a makeshift bolt) with a slightly more cosmetically pleasing bodge.

And finally, because the Aprilia is a precision-built thing of beauty that absolutely loving refuses to make anything easy, the loving seat wouldn't go back on when I'd finished. I went made going over the routing of every wire - all back where they should be - and was just about to get the blowtorch out and ring the insurance company when I noticed that one of the zipties I'd cut out had dropped into the lug that the seat mounts on. Oops. Sorry if any Italians actually did get hosed up the arse by Satan's own scaly cock in accordance with the blood oath I swore while trying to fix that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Geirskogul posted:

I've said this before, but am I the only goddamned motherfucker who carries a small fire extinguisher on every vehicle I'm riding that's powered by the explosions of a refined petroleum? They're pretty small and can be strapped almost anywhere, even on a faired motorcycle.

I just bought a 2kg class ABC extinguisher for my car, based on the recent posts in this thread. I hope I'll never need it, but goddamn would life suck if I happened to need a fire extinguisher and didn't have one.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Note to self: check for fluid retention before putting engine back in bike next time. I forgot two little fuckin o-rings that fit around the water pump drain so the pan leaks right at that spot and now I have to pull the oil pan to put them in... I don't know if you can pull the pan without unbolting the engine at the very least. :suicide:

All set for first start and.... yeah. Derp.

edit: git er dunnn

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 21, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://vimeo.com/62376248

We have ignition. Don't worry, the bike wasn't completely cold. Only poo poo left is the bodywork, coolant bottle rigging because I broke the stock one (http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21146&highlight=overflow), front sprocket change, and to upload the 2009 675 tune that I converted to the 2006 ECU format by copypasta'ing the tables.

Time to go to work, I'll finish it tonight.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 21, 2013

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Avon Distanzia?

I love that tire.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Yeah it's a seriously good tyre. Tearing poo poo up in the dry, commuting in the wet, even puttering through the recent snow it just does it all. I just obliterated the last of the tread on my rear because it rained like 12 months solid last year and then we had a week of beautiful dry weather just recently.

Had a bit of a scare yesterday when I started having real trouble shifting up gears on the KTM, I was convinced the shift forks were hosed or something and I'd have to split the case but turns out it was just a loose shifter :downs:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I've got to get me a set of tire spoons.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Yup.

Managed to pinch the tube, hooray!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

I've got to get me a set of tire spoons.

Amazon, $20. Or Harbor Freight, about the same price but more for car tires.