Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

What's up with the online quest selection? The first tier of bosses aren't even an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I like that you can go right in and fight a Rathian or a Barroth in the Port. gently caress having Gobul as a required quest though. Also, Lagi is the first urgent, so you could easily skip way ahead of the village quests as far as monster progression, at least if you know what you are doing. It is also nice that you don;t have to level up in addition to doing key quests like in Tri. That was a dumb system.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bobnumerotres posted:

Never doing the crystal bone mission again. Jesus christ.

I used up every single bone gathering spot in the desert and I only found two crystal bones out of four. If I abandon the quest I lose all the poo poo I gathered right? God drat.

If the quest seems too innocent, pack your bags because something is amiss. I had three super picks, five iron and five old, and I came away with 2 of the good picks once I was done with that quest. See also: Fishing. Oh god, fishing. Set up Snakebee Larva and Honey at the farm and pack away as much as you can. A little prep time saves you a lot of headaches.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
After playing what amounts to way too much of MH3U, I must say I'm glad I finally got around to playing MH.

Really liking the switch axe so far, it's probably what I'm best at using though I haven't tried much of the lance, gunlance, hammer and sword and shield. I'm not very far yet (just got to 3*s) and I'm hoping the difficulty really starts picking up soon, haven't died yet and nothing gave me too much trouble. This game must really be something in multiplayer, kinda sad I won't get to experience that (3DS) :smith:

With that said I really have to go to sleep before I fall into the vicious trap of staying up for just one more quest.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

8-bit Miniboss posted:

There's certain parts that can only be broken with blunt weapons and then there are tails that can only be cut with slashing weapons.

Alright, so, are any of the weapons necessarily okay for both? I know you can switch weapons pretty much whenever but I want to get used to one weapon enough that I don't have to think about it, so I can focus on not dying or whatever :v:

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

ChibiSoma posted:

If the quest seems too innocent, pack your bags because something is amiss. I had three super picks, five iron and five old, and I came away with 2 of the good picks once I was done with that quest. See also: Fishing. Oh god, fishing. Set up Snakebee Larva and Honey at the farm and pack away as much as you can. A little prep time saves you a lot of headaches.
Were you wearing the Leather Armor the game starts you out with when you tried that mining quest? It has skills that lower the chances of your pickaxes and bugnets breaking when gathering.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I heard this game has co-op on wiiu? Is it split screen and does 2p play as one of my save files or what?

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Alright, I did my charm table shenanigans and I'm not on a cursed one. Is there a certain level of equipment I should get to before I jump online? I just opened up the 2 star quests and bought all the Hunter armor pieces. I'm still using the Iron Hammer though. If I try to jump in a goon game will I get laughed out?

Vallens
Jan 27, 2004

Get back in line you drunken fool!

ChibiSoma posted:

I want an animated gif of that guy sailing across the screen as you leaned in to carve that Bullfango. That was a great moment. Just out of nowhere, midscreen, have a flying man.

No gif, but I made a highlight video :)

http://www.twitch.tv/vallens/c/2050860

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Vallens posted:

No gif, but I made a highlight video :)

http://www.twitch.tv/vallens/c/2050860

It's such an unnatural pose that it almost looks fake. That will never not be funny to me.

E: You don't even hear an impact of the guy getting hit. You're playing the HH, you go for the carve, and then there's the Puma Man flying across the screen!

Vallens
Jan 27, 2004

Get back in line you drunken fool!

ChibiSoma posted:

It's such an unnatural pose that it almost looks fake. That will never not be funny to me.

E: You don't even hear an impact of the guy getting hit. You're playing the HH, you go for the carve, and then there's the Puma Man flying across the screen!

It is hilarious. I kinda saw it when it happened, but I was focused on the background otherwise I would have been roaring with laughter.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I started this game wanting to use the Switch Axe as my main weapon, but after beating brutally savaging some Great Jaggi's with a bagpipe I think I'm gonna hafta switch! The hunting horn is just AMAZING! I'm building my horn up now, but what sort of abilities should I go for with it? Is Maestro any good?

I hope the Qurupeco set is great for Hunting Horn because I wanna be gaudy as poo poo.

Dinotron
Sep 2, 2008
So I managed to get a rust shard, but when it came time to appraise it it turned out to be a basic iron katana. Is this normal? In Tri I always got hammers and great sword from my rust shards.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Dinotron posted:

So I managed to get a rust shard, but when it came time to appraise it it turned out to be a basic iron katana. Is this normal? In Tri I always got hammers and great sword from my rust shards.

Yes. It can be any weapon, iirc.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

At first I missed the old Ludroth set because it no longer has currentres on it which made it my go-to armor for Lagi but water attack +2 and marathon runner sure do go great with the new ludroth dual swords. Smoked a Barroth in under ten minutes.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Ciaphas posted:

Alright, so, are any of the weapons necessarily okay for both? I know you can switch weapons pretty much whenever but I want to get used to one weapon enough that I don't have to think about it, so I can focus on not dying or whatever :v:

Someone may have to confirm for me as I'm out of the house at the moment, but I could have sworn Lance is both smash and slash...

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

i am tim! posted:

I hope the Qurupeco set is great for Hunting Horn because I wanna be gaudy as poo poo.

Don't you be knocking on my sweet native threads. But yeah Meastro is loving fantastic for HH, I think it may double length of buffs? either that or 1.5x. It's definitely noticeable. For ultimate humour use the qurupeco horn for ultra tootin' native tempura prawn action.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Never doing the crystal bone mission again. Jesus christ.

I used up every single bone gathering spot in the desert and I only found two crystal bones out of four. If I abandon the quest I lose all the poo poo I gathered right? God drat.

Were you trying to gather them only in the bonepits in the desert? You know you can mine them out of rocks found all over the region, mostly in 4, 6, and the cave in the desert (12 I think??)

I also have a question about wide range +1, in MHtri you could use potions while ~2-3 meters away from someone and they'd get the effect, but I've been chugging first aids and mega potions right on top of people all night and haven't gotten any sort of effect at all?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Man, I hosed up on my timing for getting charm table 10 on the Wii U version (probably didn't start the stopwatch at the right time,) but I wound up with 6, which looks like it's really just as good for playing a melee dude. :shobon: Now that I know I didn't gently caress myself over for the future just in case I get insanely addicted, I guess I have to slog through the rest of these tutorial missions killing monsters that don't even fight back.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I lucked into finding a Speartuna and want to make this fish-sword. The MH Wikia lists its attack as much lower than it is in game (presumably it got changed in MH3U and the wiki didn't update), is this thing actually decent now? Does it upgrade? Also, when the hell can I get Frost Sacs? The Wikia is cute for things like song lists but even that's wrong half the time, is there anywhere else I can find recent info in a searchable format?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Countblanc posted:

I lucked into finding a Speartuna and want to make this fish-sword. The MH Wikia lists its attack as much lower than it is in game (presumably it got changed in MH3U and the wiki didn't update), is this thing actually decent now? Does it upgrade? Also, when the hell can I get Frost Sacs? The Wikia is cute for things like song lists but even that's wrong half the time, is there anywhere else I can find recent info in a searchable format?

If you preordered from gamestop they gave you a download code for the bradygames strategy guide. I thought it'd be trash, but it's actually pretty impressive, it's like 500 pages of data. Guide says it upgrades twice, final form's got 730 ice, 912 raw, blue sharpness and is either late high rank or early G rank. Middle upgrade's also blue sharpness, a little less ice and raw, and is high rank. The sharpness is kind of crap, but that element's a little ridiculous. Probably just a gimmick weapon. Also it looks like you're only going to be getting Frost Sacs from Barioth.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Fungah! posted:

If you preordered from gamestop they gave you a download code for the bradygames strategy guide. I thought it'd be trash, but it's actually pretty impressive, it's like 500 pages of data. Guide says it upgrades twice, final form's got 730 ice, 912 raw, blue sharpness and is either late high rank or early G rank. Middle upgrade's also blue sharpness, a little less ice and raw, and is high rank. The sharpness is kind of crap, but that element's a little ridiculous. Probably just a gimmick weapon. Also it looks like you're only going to be getting Frost Sacs from Barioth.

Oh alright, thanks! Just for reference, what stats should I expect from a different greatsword of comparable high rank? 912/730 seems really loving huge to me right now, but I'm still the starting rank so I have no frame of reference and I don't really trust the wiki's numbers at this point.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
Did they go back on normalising the weapon damages?

Abundance of Gokus
Jan 8, 2009

Sailor Scout Encounter 5: Mercury Aqua Rhapsody

Countblanc posted:

Oh alright, thanks! Just for reference, what stats should I expect from a different greatsword of comparable high rank? 912/730 seems really loving huge to me right now, but I'm still the starting rank so I have no frame of reference and I don't really trust the wiki's numbers at this point.

Looking at the Tri U tree, you might have been looking in the wrong place, since that sword is definitely on there. Comparing the other rank 8s, the fish sword's lacking in raw, and if damage works the same way as in Tri, the big boost in ice won't be as helpful as it suggests. It won't be a huge burden to use it unless you're fighting Barioth or another ice dude, but I can't think of a case where a sword like Northern Lights wouldn't be better.

On the other hand, I went through half of Tri using a shark for a lance, so cave some skulls with your rad fish sword.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Welp... layed one of those electric traps down and watched it shock the poo poo out of a Great Jaggi wound up with the bone hammer and let loose before backhanding and watching it flop on the ground. Was cool as gently caress. Pretty hooked now.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

RME posted:

Two things I miss:
UBERSPIT (and consequently all the meat I had cooked) from P3rd
My huge supply of megapotions that I had built up in P3rd

Also I find it weird that Potions aren't purchaseable off the bat.

e: and third thing I miss, Yian Kut-ku from FU.

No YKK? :negative:

That guy is the best.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Commissar Ken posted:

Welp... layed one of those electric traps down and watched it shock the poo poo out of a Great Jaggi wound up with the bone hammer and let loose before backhanding and watching it flop on the ground. Was cool as gently caress. Pretty hooked now.

Man, I always forget that the hammer has attacks other than "charge then smash" and "spin then golf swing".

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell
For once the reviewers on the major websites aren't complete newbies and they tend to appreciate the way MH is going with this installment. The game is getting good reviews and is in the 80th percentile for now...
I never could understand why anyone who doesn't invest at least 50 hours in a game would review it, but for MH this was something that happened way too often before. Glad they understand a bit more about the game and are getting the word out.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Mister Blueberry posted:

For once the reviewers on the major websites aren't complete newbies and they tend to appreciate the way MH is going with this installment. The game is getting good reviews and is in the 80th percentile for now...
I never could understand why anyone who doesn't invest at least 50 hours in a game would review it, but for MH this was something that happened way too often before. Glad they understand a bit more about the game and are getting the word out.

Well I think a few are also first time players but are giving it the full shot (which is why reviews are coming out a bit late). Several of them have played Dark Souls MH is pretty brutal to someone used to hand holding. Basically Dark Souls being hyped to hell helped prepare reviewers to finally get the meat of the game. I don't think the game does anything too different from the others to make people want to play it over the previous ones. If you watch some of the reviews the talk about how "epic" the Great Jaggi fight was and how it took almost an hour but they ran into one later and it took about two minutes.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

What are the limitations on the cross system multiplayer? Can 2 WiiU people play with 1 3DS player at the same time? what about 2 3DS' and 1 WiiU?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Vallens posted:

It is hilarious. I kinda saw it when it happened, but I was focused on the background otherwise I would have been roaring with laughter.

Hi Vallens! I'm nizzum. Klous is the guy who got me into the game. We've been playing together since Freedom Unite and are friends IRL so I like to launch him with the hammer unsheathe attack at the end of quests.

If I knew you were streaming I would've tossed you a follow on twitch earlier. I also don't appreciate you thinking we couldn't take down a Rathian, though I understand me dying like a scrub at the very start of the fight would do little to inspire anyone's confidence. Was wondering why you were out of fights so much but after watching you play the horn on your archive it makes a lot of sense, no need to expose yourself to hits when you're providing buffs.

Just wanted to say GGs and sorry for all the friendly fire, when I'm hammering I try not to hit other people with the super pound but if I think I can land a head shot I go for it anyway.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Nechronic posted:

Just wanted to say GGs and sorry for all the friendly fire, when I'm hammering I try not to hit other people with the super pound but if I think I can land a head shot I go for it anyway.

The most important rule of Hammer Club is it ain't the hammer's fault if you get hit. They've got a very specific, very important, job to do and you should be nowhere near them while they're doing it. You get in the way, you deserve to go soaring across the map like a person-shaped golf ball.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Nechronic posted:

I was watching the stream and I thought you were a pretty darn good hammerrer.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I will say that Barroth KO in the archive felt like a fluke, he only took like three hits to the head. Never knocked him out so easily before.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Nechronic posted:

Was wondering why you were out of fights so much but after watching you play the horn on your archive it makes a lot of sense, no need to expose yourself to hits when you're providing buffs.
The horn's been reworked so that you can stay in there while buffing. You're really meant to. Best moment of mine in yesterday's ten hours of hunting? Scoring a knockout on Lagombi with a recital. Take THAT you stupid bunny. Anyway, there's, I think, two different recitals and three recital chains and the hunting horn's attacks chain together reasonably well which basically means you can play songs while beating the crap out of things. Also important: you can roll-cancel out of recital mode as soon as the buff hits, so there's no need to overcommit.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Drop a loving plate already, Rathian

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

My friend and I who are total newbies to the series decided to fight the Quropeco. As I just got done explaining to him that the big dumb bird summons other monsters that occasionally outclass you, the bird summoned a big dragon that kicked our rear end. First failed quest ever :saddowns:.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Jet Set Jettison posted:

My friend and I who are total newbies to the series decided to fight the Quropeco. As I just got done explaining to him that the big dumb bird summons other monsters that occasionally outclass you, the bird summoned a big dragon that kicked our rear end. First failed quest ever :saddowns:.

Peco is a fantastic lesson on using some of the utility items the game has to your advantage. If you can't stop his summoning song by wailing on him, use the Dung Bombs provided on the monster he summons to encourage it to leave the zone much faster than it would normally (or on Peco himself). He's also vulnerable to Sonic Bombs while calling or using any of his buff songs, they'll break him out of it and stun him for a few seconds to let you get some nice hits in. Other than that, wail on his stupid balloon throat and pray for the best.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Pomp posted:

Drop a loving plate already, Rathian

It begins.

I'm trying to get a Lagi plate personally. Somehow I got 4 Rathian plates in 5 runs but I haven't seen a single Lagi one in over 10 kills/captures. Monster Hunter is a harsh mistress.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AttackBacon posted:

It begins.

I'm trying to get a Lagi plate personally. Somehow I got 4 Rathian plates in 5 runs but I haven't seen a single Lagi one in over 10 kills/captures. Monster Hunter is a harsh mistress.

WTB spotpass trade function through friend codes on 3ds. I have 2 lagi plates :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J
Jun 10, 2001

Does the grill mask let cha cha cook raw meat for you automatically or does it still involve playing that minigame? What's the point of the grill mask anyway? I haven't actually made it yet, just curious as to what it does before I spend anything on it.

• Locked thread