Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
I searched but couldn't really find an answer. And there is probably a reason for that since it's such a general thing to ask.

I've been going to afternoon skates. No matter what size of skate I rent I can't go two laps around the ice before the bottoms of my feet feel like they're cramping up something terrible. I was wondering what are the odds of it being an actual issue with my feet as opposed to the rental skates being really terrible. I honestly couldn't tell you what brand or kind they are, they just are super generic.

Skateboarding or playing soccer never gave me problems, so I am hoping it's just the skates.

It isn't really localized as it is more everything but my heel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

If you're new to skating or haven't done it in forever I could see it being that the muscles in the bottom of your feet aren't used to keeping balance on a thin blade of steel.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Could well be the skates. Rental skates are near universally awful.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Robot Danger posted:

I searched but couldn't really find an answer. And there is probably a reason for that since it's such a general thing to ask.

I've been going to afternoon skates. No matter what size of skate I rent I can't go two laps around the ice before the bottoms of my feet feel like they're cramping up something terrible. I was wondering what are the odds of it being an actual issue with my feet as opposed to the rental skates being really terrible. I honestly couldn't tell you what brand or kind they are, they just are super generic.

Skateboarding or playing soccer never gave me problems, so I am hoping it's just the skates.

It's most likely a combo of the skates and your feet.

Do you have a high arch? Most skates, even the high end ones, have little to no arch support out of the box, and because its a completely solid surface your feet are pushing off against repeatedly it can really stress your arch and cramp your feet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can try stretching out your arches a bit by standing on the ball of your foot and leaning forward. I prefer to do it with skates on but it works in normal shoes too. If that helps with the pain, it's probably a mix of your feet not being used to skating and needing some arch support. Buy some skates and get superfeet insoles.

If the stretching doesn't help, it's probably something else. Either the skates fit wrong or you're lacing too tightly.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 20, 2013

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
Thanks for the tips. I have pretty normal arches. I'm hoping that my feet will be conditioned better soon enough because right now there is no way I could make it through one of the hour learn to skate classes offered each week. I'll have my own pair of skates soon enough, but I'll for sure try stretching out tomorrow.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Robot Danger posted:

It's probably 95% your feet.

... skate more often is the best remedy.
It'll start to go away eventually.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Bring your own insoles for the rental skates if the rental skate insoles can be removed.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Motherfuckin playoffs start tonight.

Best of 3 series, cant make game 2 though so gotta put my mark on game 1.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
So there's four of us driving an SUV with the equipment trailer. 75% off the occupants apparently love country music and Christian rock I've had an hour of sleep and am now questioning the existence of my higher power.

Tonights game is going to be...challenging.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Flyinglemur posted:

So there's four of us driving an SUV with the equipment trailer. 75% off the occupants apparently love country music and Christian rock I've had an hour of sleep and am now questioning the existence of my higher power.

This sounds like a job for beer!

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Bradf0rd posted:

This sounds like a job for beer!

I have 16 years clean and sober. But if this keeps up I may consider a relapse.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Flyinglemur posted:

Oh man... no headphones, no music player? I never go on a long ride without, just in case. Well, unless I'm the driver.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Wow. I love my road trips like the next guy but that sounds absolutely horrendous.

Just stop into the next truck stop and pop 4 benadryl. And eat a gas station tuna salad sandwich to torture the rest of the group with your gas while you sleep in peace.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Ask them to cut the Christian garbage and just rock some old country. If you don't like old country you suck.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Pleads posted:

Ask them to cut the Christian garbage and just rock some old country. If you don't like old country you suck.

Request Stompin' Tom

... And Kinky Friedman

... that was just a reason to post a Kinky Friedman video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-wAlp7PDYM

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Am I missing the point here, or is that song just anti-semetic?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Gio posted:

Am I missing the point here, or is that song just anti-semetic?

"One of his most famous numbers is "They Ain't Makin' Jews Like Jesus Anymore," a song in which Kinky verbally and physically beats up a drunken white racist who berates blacks, Jews, Greeks, and Sigma Nus in a bar."

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Flyinglemur posted:

Hockey does attract some otherwise good guys who listen to horrible music. I was so happy when the guy who would blast Nickelback in our locker room stopped showing up after 4-games. Just hope that you don't develop Stockholm syndrome and start liking their music.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 21, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The "music guy" on my learn to play team has a serious addiction to AC/DC.

Which based on what I've read in this thread is by far the best music to have ever been played in a locker room, so I try to appreciate his efforts. But on the other hand, I do wish he wouldn't crank it so loudly when some members of the team are in the middle of a "strategy conversation."

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Who the hell talks strategy in the locker room?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A bunch of tryhards who play every single game like there's an NHL scout in the stands. You don't rise to the top of an instructional league by having fun, mister.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Aniki posted:

Just hope that you don't develop Stockholm syndrome and start liking their music.

No worries there. We made it in one piece, our first game is at 630. Should be....something.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

xzzy posted:

A bunch of tryhards who play every single game like there's an NHL scout in the stands. You don't rise to the top of an instructional league by having fun, mister.

I'm trying to think of a single thing you could discuss in a lower-level rec league game locker room that might possibly improve the outcome of the game and all I came come up with is "Hey guys, I brought the beer".

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

"You guys gonna move your feet and actually skate today? No? Right on" *turns up poo poo music*

I am stoked we don't play music in the locker room. Also I arrive 5 minutes before a game so I'd get through a song, maybe.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thufir posted:

I'm trying to think of a single thing you could discuss in a lower-level rec league game locker room that might possibly improve the outcome of the game and all I came come up with is "Hey guys, I brought the beer".

There's a bunch of prison guards on my team, so you can probably imagine what 90% of the locker room banter is about. Everyone with kids is pretty much terrified to bring them in while we're getting dressed.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

There's a bunch of prison guards on my team, so you can probably imagine what 90% of the locker room banter is about. Everyone with kids is pretty much terrified to bring them in while we're getting dressed.

I never understand why anyone would want to subject their children to a hockey locker room. Its basically a bunch of dudes talking about how wasted they were last night and how many girls they banged (or said they banged). And then theres the dongs hanging out, so theres that.

Not to mention it usually smells like rotten rear end.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Who the hell talks strategy in the locker room?

For two seasons - for whatever reason - we had a guy who had coached a few guys that made the show. I learned more about system hockey in those two seasons than in the other 10 or so years I've been playing combined. Dude would straight up whip out a white board on the bench and start drawing up set plays during timeouts. (We also went from being a mid-teir team to pretty much dominating our league). I guess the lesson is - if someone does know what they're talking about, it's a pretty good idea to let 'em talk...or something.

Next time you're blasting music in the locker room, it had better be this

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 21, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, there's no whiteboards. But we pick new lines every week, and it's nice to take a few minutes before the clock starts to talk about who's good at what and what they want to try and get out of the day. It's pretty informal, but all of us want to get better at the game and communication is helpful for that.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Dangerllama posted:

I guess the lesson is - if someone does know what they're talking about, it's a pretty good idea to let 'em talk...or something.

I didn't want to be a debbie downer in this thread but yeah, my team/line have improved by actually taking about things before the game. What we remember about certain players/teams, how we're going to handle things. based on how last game went. Most of the time I try to keep it to my line as talking to the whole room is often a lost cause but whatever.

The team also has a lot of disparity between talent levels on that one team so there's a lot of obvious poo poo to go over for the bottom of third of the team.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

So this showed up in my FB feed today. The aftermath of a collision between some dude's neck and a skate blade (linkin' this poo poo cuz it's pretty gnarly):

OH MY GOD. :stare:

Neck guards are beginning to look like an okay idea.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

So this showed up in my FB feed today. The aftermath of a collision between some dude's neck and a skate blade (linkin' this poo poo cuz it's pretty gnarly):

OH MY GOD. :stare:

Neck guards are beginning to look like an okay idea.

That's pretty bad, though I like how you ca still see the hollow of the skater's blades. It can be pretty easy to minimize the danger of hockey, but it's good to be reminded of the dangers we face from time to time. I know that neck guards can be annoying to wear at first, but preventing cuts like that should be worth some minimal discomfort. If you don't like standard neck guards, then look into Maltese. They're popular with goalies and protect you against both skates and impacts.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How well do they breathe?

I already overheat wearing just shoulder pads, not so much in the winter but once it's hot outside I can start seeing spots pretty easily. Cutting off even more surface area might not work so well.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

xzzy posted:

How well do they breathe?

I already overheat wearing just shoulder pads, not so much in the winter but once it's hot outside I can start seeing spots pretty easily. Cutting off even more surface area might not work so well.

I don't even notice wearing mine and especially if you are skating up and down the ice, they should breathe very well. I hated the other neck guards that I tried and had no problem with the Maltese. I think they're a good option if you don't like the other neck guards out there.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I took a skate to the neck in high school. The spring & summer leagues required the traditional neck guard, but not the regular high school season. Luckily, it was only a nick. No blood, and the thing that hurt the most was the Bactine/anti-septic they put on it.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Well we won 3-0 and had a big dumb fight at the end when their goon took a run at our scorer.

At one point I intercepted a pass at the red line, skated through 2 defense and got a shot on the goalie.

:)

Like a boss

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Any information on neck guards and the likelihood of concussion?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

Any information on neck guards and the likelihood of concussion?

Direct causal link between neck guards and concussions, unsurprisingly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What the gently caress, do you have to skate naked to completely eliminate concussions?

(well, naked plus visor of course)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

But shouldn't neck guard plus cage provide maximum protection, as one cancels out the other. I would refer you, of course, to the scientifically rigorous "double head bonk" theory of brain injury reversal.