Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
waxluthor
May 28, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Looking for a camera strap for a NEX-5N.

I'm in the same boat trying to find a strap for my C3 which has the same strap rails. I was considering the Octopus strap too but not too sure how comfortable the plastic buckle will feel either under or over my palm when I'm holding the camera.

Gariz has couple straps which look pretty nice:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251232233319

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121022016331

There's also Gordy's Camera Straps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was looking at the Gordy but I'm not sure how well its split ring will play with the weirdo rails. I'm actually making a strap myself out of some spare leather in the meantime, but I'll check out those links since my workmanship is..... well let's just say I'd like to get a strap sooner than later :haw:

edit: Oh man, that second one is absolutely what I'm looking for! I'll probably pick one one ASAP.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
And if you are looking for a leather case this guy from China got some good reviews. ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260991911834

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

rexelation posted:

And if you are looking for a leather case this guy from China got some good reviews. ;)

Holy poo poo, I know it's tacky as gently caress but that orange case is CALLING TO ME.

The only bad thing I see about those cases is that they cover the USB slot so you end up having to remove the case altogether to either pull the battery to charge, or charge via USB :(

I think I am going to go caseless until I can find one that isn't wallet-busting that at least lets me charge/download via USB.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Only looking at wrist straps? Or would a neck strap do?
I really like the Couch camera straps. I have one on my Film SLR and one on my knife bag for work.
http://www.couchguitarstraps.com/camera-straps-and-wallets-c-5.html

Plus they are vegan/recycled if you are a crunchy hippy.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah this camera is so small that I'm not really looking to use a neck strap. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

rexelation posted:

Finally someone has made a case for the x-pro 1 that doesn't cost a bajillion dollars.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I got Photo Sport Sling 100 AW in the beginning of February, and the plastic is already flaking and peeling away from the nylon. Not impressed. :colbert: I emailed Lowepro in hopes they will honor some sort of warranty.

Oh well, excuses to buy a new Crumpler.

Photo Sport Sling 100 AW by philip painter, on Flickr

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Crumplers aren't exactly the best looking bags and they sometimes lack small features but in my experience they've been pretty bulletproof.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

Crumplers aren't exactly the best looking bags and they sometimes lack small features but in my experience they've been pretty bulletproof.

Yeah, I have a couple for other things and like them. I don't know why I went with something else for this. :negative:

Edit: to Lowepro's credit they said they'd ship me a new bag without me having to ship the faulty one in.

smallmouth fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 21, 2013

Nannypea
Feb 20, 2006

Faster, you naughty little monkey!
Best Buy has the Lowepro - Fastpack 250 Camera Backpack - Black model no. LP35194-PEU for $55.99 with free shipping

I have a older version of this bag and love it. For this price it's hard to pass up getting a newer one.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lowepro...D=552179&loc=01

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Nannypea posted:

Best Buy has the Lowepro - Fastpack 250 Camera Backpack - Black model no. LP35194-PEU for $55.99 with free shipping

I have a older version of this bag and love it. For this price it's hard to pass up getting a newer one.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lowepro...D=552179&loc=01

Looks like they have most of their Lowepro stuff on sale up to 50% off.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
I've been on a bag buying spree recently. For the longest time I've been using a Sony branded backpack that I generally did not like at all. I switched to a Lowepro Exchange Messenger Camera Bag that I really liked but was small and not particularly well padded. (I still have this bag and plan on using it when I want to travel light.)

As I've been amassing more gear I decided to get a larger bag as a "home base" for all of my stuff. I picked up a Tamrac 3447 Rally 7 bag that I liked, but felt it was slightly cumbersome for my use.

I searched on Craigslist and found someone selling a Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home for $50 and jumped on that. So far I am really liking it. It seems very solid and more ergonomic than the Tamrac bag. The only issue is that I pretty much have it full already!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Once you start accumulating accessories it snowballs fast. Nowadays I just carry my camera and a prime.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

evil_bunnY posted:

Once you start accumulating accessories it snowballs fast. Nowadays I just carry my camera and a prime.

Same. I have three very small bags that barely hold a camera and a prime or two (two when they are E Series Nikkor lenses). In the morning I just pick up the bag I need for the day.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Same here. I've had a big rear end carry everything backpack for a few years now but I never take it out shooting. Don't get me wrong, I use it, but it's mostly for keeping all my stuff together and getting it in the car.

For the past couple years I've mostly been flying with a single lens attached (mostly my 70-200) on a black rapid. This has been fine but I do find myself neglecting my 8-16 and 17-50 because I don't have them on me. I think I'll be pretty happy if I could just have a bag to carry the three lenses together and a few accessories. I just picked up a thinktank retrospective 20.

So far so good but it does feel heavy when I load it up. However, I think I'll get use to it. I also feel like strap is too short (I have a long torso) but maybe it's something I'll get used to as well.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Humphreys posted:

I use a Lowepro Flipside 400AW as my 'oh crap gotta shoot now' grab bag.

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Flipside-400-AW,2116,14.htm

(excuse lovely 'I'm too tired to use a real camera' phone pic)
I can fit:
2 bodies, one with a 17-85 and the other a spare lovely 'backup'
70-200
28mm
10-22
10-20 for backup
a few flashes and remotes
intervalometer
usual charger etc
a few filters for each lens
cards etc
front of bag can fit a toughbook if i absolutely have to use Lightroom then and there

And for slings I use a Black Rapid Double (DR1) - usually holding the 70-200 on my left and whatever body I am using on the right. If I wanna go overboard I will use a 'Sport Slim' as well.
http://www.blackrapid.com/products

If you have a two-way or a side arm on your hip the DR1 can be a pain but I just push those to the rear of my belt.

Running with DR1 setup is interesting but locking the toggles on the straps help a lot - Although our gear has a hard life and generally gets hosed due to other factors before I smash them against something.
Thanks for this. Probably going to switch from a Kata DR467i because it doesn't really work with a pro-size body attached to a 70-200 2.8. It stores everything I need and is great for travel, but it's not the most convenient for shooting on my outings. I was also considering a Retrospective 20 as my "on the go" camera bag, but I think I'd rather stick with a backpack. I had an Ona Union Street before and didn't find the shoulder bag terribly convenient.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I have the lowerpro mini trekker, owned it for about 2 years now.

A few problems;

It is uncomfortable to wear. The bottom of it digs into my spine just above my hip, and all the equipment in there becomes lumpy and uncomfortable on my back, I find it has a pretty crappy distribution of weight and becomes quite sore on my shoulders. However this could be also just because I have it full with too many things

I am looking at this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40L-DSLR-SLR-Large-Camera-Backpack-Bag-Fits-17-Laptop-/260836825228

specs:

quote:

Capacity: 1 X DSLR Camera + 4-5 X Extra Lens + 1 X 17'' Laptop + Other Accessories

Outside Size: 33cm*18cm*54cm; Fabric: High intense 1680D Nylon

Looks really neat, also has a removable mini bag inside. Not sure if this has been posted or not but thought I would share. I plan on doing some travel over the next few months. To carry I have

13" macbook
5D MkII
24mm 1.4
85 1.2 (a big lens)
50 1.2
100-400 4.5-5.6

Quite a few accessories including nodal ninja (comes in its own little case), filters (bracket), cleaning kit, tripod and other tings.

If anyone else has a recommendation I'd love to hear it... but this seems like it'll be really decent and comfortable too, and double as a good hiking pack.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
I currently have a Thinktank Retro 10 that used to be home for a D600, grip, 24-70, and a few primes. Now its home to an XE1 with 18-55, Nikkor 135 DC, 50mm, and possibly a 24mm prime. The problem? Its too big. I was thinking about trading down to a Thinktank Retro 5 but that may also be too big.

Anyone got any recommendations? I prefer the style of the thinktank retro bags.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
I wouldn't think a 5 would be too big. Maybe too small. What about a Retro 7?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a 5 and yeah, if anything it might be a tad too small. I have a GH3, 12-35 2.8, and Pentax 50mm with adapter in it right now, and I think I could probably fit one, MAYBE two more smallish lenses. I'd check out Domke's stuff too as they're much less padded on the sides and feel smaller than the retrospective series. Something about the floppiness makes them seem smaller when they have less gear in them. My F3XC barely feels bigger than the Retrospective 5 but holds a waaay more gear. I don't know what they have smaller than the F3XC but I assume there's something.

Dr. Shockwave
Dec 12, 2012

I'm going to Europe for a 2 week honeymoon. London, Amsterdam, Paris, Prague

I have a t3i with your standard kit lens and a 55-250 zoom.

I plan on taking that and an iPad mini with me everywhere.

What bag do I want? I like backpacks, and I like the ones where you can swivel them pretty fast for good access. (I don't want to be robbed however).

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Dr. Shockwave posted:

I'm going to Europe for a 2 week honeymoon. London, Amsterdam, Paris, Prague

I have a t3i with your standard kit lens and a 55-250 zoom.

I plan on taking that and an iPad mini with me everywhere.

What bag do I want? I like backpacks, and I like the ones where you can swivel them pretty fast for good access. (I don't want to be robbed however).

Having been to Rome, Florence, Venice, Paris and Amsterdam myself in the same time span, I would say avoid a backpack if you can. They're not good in tight crowds(which you will encounter in Paris by the bushel), lots of places like museums hate them and they're not good for fast access to equipment. Take a shoulder bag instead. You can wear it across your body for extra security and you can keep your hand on it in a not-so-conspicuous way when it's at your side. Much easier to deal with when getting on and off of buses, trains or whatever as well and they're easier for security to look through. It also looks much less dorky too.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Thanks for this. Probably going to switch from a Kata DR467i because it doesn't really work with a pro-size body attached to a 70-200 2.8. It stores everything I need and is great for travel, but it's not the most convenient for shooting on my outings. I was also considering a Retrospective 20 as my "on the go" camera bag, but I think I'd rather stick with a backpack. I had an Ona Union Street before and didn't find the shoulder bag terribly convenient.
Just a followup...

I'm liking the layout of the Lowepro Flipside 400 AW so far. Holds a gripped 5D3 attached to a 70-200 f/2.8 without issue along with a 24-70 f/2.8, 17-40 f/4, 2x extender, ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT with omni-bounce, and assorted lens hoods. With all of that it's still less bulky than the Kata it's replacing.

I'll still need to bring a small secondary bag with me for planned shoots that require more specialized equipment (for example, LEE filters setup for landscapes or audio gear for shooting video) but I'm excited to use this for more spontaneous outings.

Dr. Shockwave
Dec 12, 2012

HPL posted:

Having been to Rome, Florence, Venice, Paris and Amsterdam myself in the same time span, I would say avoid a backpack if you can. They're not good in tight crowds(which you will encounter in Paris by the bushel), lots of places like museums hate them and they're not good for fast access to equipment. Take a shoulder bag instead. You can wear it across your body for extra security and you can keep your hand on it in a not-so-conspicuous way when it's at your side. Much easier to deal with when getting on and off of buses, trains or whatever as well and they're easier for security to look through. It also looks much less dorky too.

Thanks for this. When you shoulder bag, do you also mean a sling like the Lowepro Slingshot?

Choosebary
Oct 23, 2003

This is just random support for the Lowepro flipside 400aw, I've been using it as a go to smaller scale travel bag for probably a year now and it feels so incredibly secure when zipped up and strapped on. The waist straps feel pretty pointless though and the idea that you can strap it around your waist then just swing it around and use it like a little table for your kit feels really insecure the two times I tried it. You also look like a cock.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Just an update...

I've been using the Crumpler Mild Enthusiast (M) for the past couple months and have been happy with it. I can cram my iPad, D60, 85mm, and either a 430 speedlight or 35mm in there. It's a little tight with the iPad, but that's kind of how Crumpler rolls. I like the bag because it doesn't look too camera bag-like (ugly and conspicuous), and allows me to maintain my street cred and hipster sensibilities.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dr. Shockwave posted:

Thanks for this. When you shoulder bag, do you also mean a sling like the Lowepro Slingshot?

"shoulder bag" almost always means the more traditional style bag you hang off one shoulder,that sits at the side of your hip.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Sling bags are great until the one time you forget to do up the zipper and all your camera gear comes tumbling out.

For fast gear access, nothing beats a good shoulder bag.

Dr. Shockwave
Dec 12, 2012

Really thinking more of an endurance type day. Bought a slingshot 202AW and a Tamrac evolution 6. Will either return one or both depending on which one I like.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I've been using my 13-year-old Kipling school backpack as a camera bag. I've been considering a new one, since the current one fits like a laundry bag and feels increasingly uncomfortable as I put more stuff into it. Fiddling with water bottles sucks (during summer the water gets plenty warm too) and there's no place for a hydration reservoir. Also it's basically impossible to strap a tripod into the bag.

So I started looking for a new one, and accidentally stumbled upon Source hydration and MOLLE system :D And found out this bag:

In theory it feels pretty much perfect. Admittedly it's 1kg heavier (excluding the reservoir), but if since it's supposed to be a lot more comfortable to carry, the weight shouldn't be a problem. Loads of room and adjustability, possible to expand easily with all kinds of molle pouches, many places to strap a light tripod to... what could go wrong? The bag itself even isn't that expensive when you consider the price includes a 3L reservoir.

Does anyone here have experience with tactical camera bags? Not sure if it's a good or an awful idea :D

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

I've been using my 13-year-old Kipling school backpack as a camera bag. I've been considering a new one, since the current one fits like a laundry bag and feels increasingly uncomfortable as I put more stuff into it. Fiddling with water bottles sucks (during summer the water gets plenty warm too) and there's no place for a hydration reservoir. Also it's basically impossible to strap a tripod into the bag.

So I started looking for a new one, and accidentally stumbled upon Source hydration and MOLLE system :D And found out this bag:

In theory it feels pretty much perfect. Admittedly it's 1kg heavier (excluding the reservoir), but if since it's supposed to be a lot more comfortable to carry, the weight shouldn't be a problem. Loads of room and adjustability, possible to expand easily with all kinds of molle pouches, many places to strap a light tripod to... what could go wrong? The bag itself even isn't that expensive when you consider the price includes a 3L reservoir.

Does anyone here have experience with tactical camera bags? Not sure if it's a good or an awful idea :D

Depends on what gear you need to haul. I have a day hike bag very similar to that one. It's a great bag for what it is but I don't find it very useful for camera gear. Cameras and lenses stick out awkwardly. I'd look for something that is made for camera gear.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Haggins posted:

Depends on what gear you need to haul. I have a day hike bag very similar to that one. It's a great bag for what it is but I don't find it very useful for camera gear. Cameras and lenses stick out awkwardly. I'd look for something that is made for camera gear.

I've been looking for a new bag for some time already. I went through Lowepro's, Tamrac's etc. selections, but the specialized camera bags look so awkward. It feels like they don't have room for anything else than gear. They weigh a ton and are full of heavy padding. Probably photographers normally have lots of expensive glass and digital bodies, and they want to be able to cover most situations, so that kind of bags are in demand.

I normally carry lots of stuff like extra clothing (or room for it), water, tripod, lightmeter, lunch/food etc. and 2-3 lenses in an insert. The camera is on my neck all the time so I don't waste time digging it from a bag when I want to take a photo. Sometimes when I want to carry more cameras, like a 35mm for general stuff and a Horizon 202 for panoramas, I just put the other one in the bag.

Five years ago I was eager to carry all my gear with me and swap lenses constantly, but nowdays I've gotten lazier :/

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
F-stop and Clik Elite make backpacks that are more geared towards hiking and have space for other stuff. F-Stop also makes padded, zippered inserts for their own bags that'd work well with other bags too (they're pricy though.)

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

A friend just told me about Mindshift Gear Rotation 180: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/134466492/rotation180-photo-backpack

http://dancarrphotography.com/blog/2013/04/05/mindshift-gears-new-rotation-180-pro-full-review/

Mind. Blown. No idea about price or availability though.

Edit: holy crap I think I stick with normal gear: "Rotation 180 Pro – $389.99"

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ThinkTank already had something like that before and spun off this other company to make more outdoorsy stuff. I think they also stopped making the ThinkTank version a while ago. For spin around backpack antics I like LowePro's flipside series. The backpack opens from, uhm, the back, so you can leave the waistband on and spin it around to get at stuff without setting it down: http://www.lowepro.com/flipside-sport It's also more like $130.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

powderific posted:

ThinkTank already had something like that before and spun off this other company to make more outdoorsy stuff. I think they also stopped making the ThinkTank version a while ago. For spin around backpack antics I like LowePro's flipside series. The backpack opens from, uhm, the back, so you can leave the waistband on and spin it around to get at stuff without setting it down: http://www.lowepro.com/flipside-sport It's also more like $130.

A big reason I bought the Flipside is for the peace of mind it provides when travelling into areas where you might have to worry about pickpockets. It's a nice pack for sure, well worth the money.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ihmemies posted:

A friend just told me about Mindshift Gear Rotation 180: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/134466492/rotation180-photo-backpack

http://dancarrphotography.com/blog/2013/04/05/mindshift-gears-new-rotation-180-pro-full-review/

Mind. Blown. No idea about price or availability though.

Edit: holy crap I think I stick with normal gear: "Rotation 180 Pro – $389.99"

So basically, it’s a fanny pack that hides in a backpack, and costs four hundred bucks.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Platystemon posted:

So basically, it’s a fanny pack that hides in a backpack, and costs four hundred bucks.

When people drop $10k to cameras & lenses, $400 won't stop them buying a backpack. But yes, basically. And it's the most sensible backpack I've seen so far.

Anyways, I think I'll just get that Source's Patrol backpack. Affordable, and it can be turned into a full-blown camera bag with one of those huge inserts if I ever want to carry too much gear around :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

I've got a couple of Think Tank shoulder bags- their stuff isn't cheap but I never felt like it wasn't worth it. If there was a backpack made to those standards and I was in the market I'd at least give it a look.

• Locked thread