Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Synastren posted:

I really prefer waterproof inks; I have a proclivity for spilling stuff on my notebooks and whatnot (and paranoid about students trying to alter grades when they can), and I know how much not-waterproof inks can run. I spilled some stuff on a page that was in Lamy Blue, and it was all gone.

I found this list from 2006 of waterproof (or resistant, at least) inks. Is this roughly complete? I'd like to know what colors I'd have available if I were to get only waterproof inks.

I think you can sort by properties on goulet pens, so you should be able to find all of the waterproof or bulletproof inks that they sell. From a quick glance at the list you linked, it's pretty out of date for noodlers since it only has one of the blacks and Nathan is pretty big on making indestructible inks. The other brands might not have changed as much in the meantime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Here is a list of all the Noodler's inks and what their properties are from the Goulet Pen Co. site, last updated February 1st. Anything listed as Bulletproof is practically just that: water, bleach, chemical solvents, even :pcgaming: goddamn lasers :pcgaming: won't budge it. Personally I can recommend Heart of Darkness for a black and 54th Massachusetts for a blue-black.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

What about a nice green-black? I've been working through pretty much all the green samplers from ILovePens and have only got through about 5 colours so far. Haven't found any I like yet (I've tried Private Reserve Ebony Green, Private Reserve Sherwood Green, Pelikan Adventurine and one more sample which has since lost the label).

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Ephphatha posted:

What about a nice green-black? I've been working through pretty much all the green samplers from ILovePens and have only got through about 5 colours so far. Haven't found any I like yet (I've tried Private Reserve Ebony Green, Private Reserve Sherwood Green, Pelikan Adventurine and one more sample which has since lost the label).

Not exactly a green-black, but this looks like a pretty good bulletproof green.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Package from Goulet came in. I got two empty Lamy bottles, a bottle full of Lamy blue-black, 2 syringes, a bottle of Pelikan Royal Blue, and a mini Rhodia book for recording results.

1. The Lamy blue-black is great. It's the safest boringest, well-behaved dark blue ever. It's more of a true blue, whereas a lot of blue-blacks tend to be teal or gray. It has next to no shading. It will live in my 1960s Parker Super 21 at work.

2. I tried different mixtures of Pelikan Royal Blue and Brilliant Black together to see if I could mix my own ink. I would mix a little and then dip a nib and try and then tweak and then dip. The one I settled on was 14 parts blue : 2 parts black : 1 part tap water. I'm going to give it a full 24 hours to sit just in case, but Pelikan is reportedly pretty safe to mix. This will go in my Lamy 2000 as a carrying around pen.

I'll post scans once I try everything out.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

If you guys are looking for bulletproof inks, I'm thinking of tossing up an SA Mart thread for my Bad Blue Heron and Eternal Hunter Green inks since I can't get the Blue Heron to write well in my Lamy and I wanna try a Pilot green for my pens next. If there's interest I'll do it. :)

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone have good sites or books for learning different cursive styles? I just picked up an italic nib and I'm excited to get into a more defined cursive style. Just using the "basic" American school-taught cursive is a little boring now.

To make it a little more on topic, this is the pen I picked up:

LAMY joy. I've been using a Safari for awhile, and they sell 'em right on the shelves where I'm staying in Germany, so I sprang for one while I was able to ignore shipping :)

aidoru fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 21, 2013

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Xovaan posted:

If you guys are looking for bulletproof inks, I'm thinking of tossing up an SA Mart thread for my Bad Blue Heron and Eternal Hunter Green inks since I can't get the Blue Heron to write well in my Lamy and I wanna try a Pilot green for my pens next. If there's interest I'll do it. :)

I'm interested! I was thinking about buying a bottle of Bad Blue Heron because I got a sample and really liked the color.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Anyone know any good homemade ink recipes or something?

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

aidoru posted:

Anyone have good sites or books for learning different cursive styles? I just picked up an italic nib and I'm excited to get into a more defined cursive style. Just using the "basic" American school-taught cursive is a little boring now.

To make it a little more on topic, this is the pen I picked up:

LAMY joy. I've been using a Safari for awhile, and they sell 'em right on the shelves where I'm staying in Germany, so I sprang for one while I was able to ignore shipping :)

Not sure if you have to be a member of FPN to view these pages, but the pinned threads at the top are a fantastic resource for those wanting to learn other cursive and calligraphic styles: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/forum/12-penmanship/

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Ed Mungo posted:

I'm interested! I was thinking about buying a bottle of Bad Blue Heron because I got a sample and really liked the color.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3539696

Just put them up in SA Mart!

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008

Ephphatha posted:

Diamine Green/Black is a really nice one, more of a foresty green than some, which seem a bit blue.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I bought a Lamy 2000 for my girlfriend. It won't write. Any ideas? There appears to be ink in it; it produces a very slight amount of ink sometimes.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Dominoes posted:

I bought a Lamy 2000 for my girlfriend. It won't write. Any ideas? There appears to be ink in it; it produces a very slight amount of ink sometimes.

Did you flush it through with water before first filling it with ink? That sounds like it'd stop it working right out the box.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

No.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

That's likely to be it then. Get a cup of cold water and add one drop of dish soap to it. Then flush the pen through a few times with it, rinse with clean water, and allow to dry for a bit and it should flow a lot better when inked.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

All right, just got my package in from Goulet Pens. Got the Ink Sample Package by Rachel G. (RIGHT before ink sample packages went on sale :argh:), a blue cloth-bound Clairfonte notebook in French Rule, and my first fountain pen ever, the Pilot Metropolitan.

The pen is tinier than I expected it be. I'm having fun with all these, but man, I can't write cursive if it could cure cancer. I'm sure I'm using the pen correctly, but I feel like it has made my handwriting way worse, or at least extremely self conscious. I'm too afraid to even scan it. Hopefully I'll move onto more big-boy pens, but for now, I think I'll practice some more calligraphy with the Parallel. :)

Also, how do I clean the nib if it has ink on it? I guess it doesn't really matter, but with something so new, I can get pretty anal about keeping something clean for as long as possible. If I even lightly touch the nib with any sort of cloth, the ink will totally bleed all over it. It kind of sucks being so new and clueless at everything!

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Vitamins posted:

That's likely to be it then. Get a cup of cold water and add one drop of dish soap to it. Then flush the pen through a few times with it, rinse with clean water, and allow to dry for a bit and it should flow a lot better when inked.
How do you 'flush the pen' through the cup?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Dominoes posted:

Is this a fountain pen? Or is it a Lamy 2000 Rollerball or Ballpoint?

You'd need to unscrew the body and use the converter(fake edit:Lamy 2000 is a piston filler) twist the end of it to suck water into it and then flush it out a few times until clear.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Dominoes posted:

Dip the nib in the cup up to the section and fill and empty the pen a few times. He means flush the pen through with the water.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Dominoes posted:

^^^

Sorry I didn't make that clear! Also, when you've flushed through with the soapy water, flush again with some plain cold water to get rid of all the soap residue. If you don't, you risk the pen leaking ink everywhere and that's seriously no fun!

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Also, how do I clean the nib if it has ink on it? I guess it doesn't really matter, but with something so new, I can get pretty anal about keeping something clean for as long as possible. If I even lightly touch the nib with any sort of cloth, the ink will totally bleed all over it. It kind of sucks being so new and clueless at everything!

You can wipe it off with a paper towel or similar, which will draw more ink through, so it takes a little practice to get the hang of it. Also keep in mind that some inks (particularly many of noodler's inks) tend to creep more than others.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Yoshi Jjang posted:

All right, just got my package in from Goulet Pens. Got the Ink Sample Package by Rachel G. (RIGHT before ink sample packages went on sale :argh:), a blue cloth-bound Clairfonte notebook in French Rule, and my first fountain pen ever, the Pilot Metropolitan.

The pen is tinier than I expected it be. I'm having fun with all these, but man, I can't write cursive if it could cure cancer. I'm sure I'm using the pen correctly, but I feel like it has made my handwriting way worse, or at least extremely self conscious. I'm too afraid to even scan it. Hopefully I'll move onto more big-boy pens, but for now, I think I'll practice some more calligraphy with the Parallel. :)

Most people with poor hand writing tend to use their fingers too much when writing. To get smooth loops you want to use the shoulder and forearm muscles. An exercise is to lift your hand in the air and imagine you are drawing large letters on an imaginary board without moving fingers, this will show you the feeling of the muscles needed for the majority of the work.

This is especially necessary for fountain pens because writing with your fingers causes the angle/rotation of the pen to change and the pen to skip in many cases.

You should be able to find children's handwriting workbooks for learning cursive. Don't think it demeaning to yourself if you get one, cursive flows better when the letters are done in a certain way and it could take you a lot of learning and unlearning bad habits to figure it out.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'm thinking of selling my TWSBI 540 ground to a Japanese EF by Mike-It-Work to fund a Sailor Professional Gear. The nib work was around $70. How much do you guys think I could potentially get for something like this? It's a great pen and the nib is loving excellent but truthfully I love my Falcon and my friend's Sailor significantly more due to how they fit in my hand.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Vitamins posted:

^^^

Sorry I didn't make that clear! Also, when you've flushed through with the soapy water, flush again with some plain cold water to get rid of all the soap residue. If you don't, you risk the pen leaking ink everywhere and that's seriously no fun!

HolySwissCheese posted:

Dip the nib in the cup up to the section and fill and empty the pen a few times. He means flush the pen through with the water.

SnakesRevenge posted:

You can wipe it off with a paper towel or similar, which will draw more ink through, so it takes a little practice to get the hang of it. Also keep in mind that some inks (particularly many of noodler's inks) tend to creep more than others.
I submerged the top part of the pen in water and unscrewed the back end. After unscrewing a certain amount, a hole bubbled, through several cycles of unscrewing, and re-screwing. No water left the pen at any point, and the bubbles implied some was taken in. A small amount of ink emptied into the water. I'm about to return this, seems defective.

Also, the item description shows black ink, when the ink that does come out is clearly blue. Something's up.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 22, 2013

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Be careful using dish detergents, I know a lot of them have bleach added which will corrode the holy hell out of most metal components.
The best thing is a tablespoon of pure non-scented ammonia in distilled water. It rinses clean and leaves absolutely no residue. I've restored several horribly corroded pens this way by soaking for a few days.

Xovaan, which 540 is it?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

It's the TWSBI Diamond 540 (full, not mini)

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Dominoes posted:

I submerged the top part of the pen in water and unscrewed the back end. After unscrewing a certain amount, a hole bubbled, through several cycles of unscrewing, and re-screwing. No water left the pen at any point, and the bubbles implied some was taken in. A small amount of ink emptied into the water. I'm about to return this, seems defective.

Also, the item description shows black ink, when the ink that does come out is clearly blue. Something's up.

Lamy pens come the factory with two things that make the first writing experience less than perfect. 1. There is usually a little bit of grease left over from the manufacturing process. 2. They test the pens in the factory using blue ink (hence the blue ink you see). Both of these problems are easily solved by cycling the pen with room temperature water. In order to cycle the pen, be certain that the breather hole is submerged into the water. The breather hole is the round opening in the bottom of the stainless section near the nib. While ink leaves via the nib, it enters via this hole.

The bubble you saw is air being expelled via the nib into the water. However, I am guessing your breather hole is not all the way in the water, meaning that you are just drawing up more air when you screw down the blind cap (the top of the pen that you rotate to operate the piston).

For what it's worth, my Lamy 2000 is one of my favorite things that I own. Lamy has a lifetime warranty, so if there is a problem, they should be able to make you whole pretty quickly.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

HolySwissCheese posted:

2. They test the pens in the factory using blue ink (hence the blue ink you see).
Already confirmed in general, but posting to add that the Lamy Safari I got last week also had blue left in the nib that I cleaned out before adding dark green ink.
(it writes fine)

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Finally got around to updating on my ink mixing adventure. I think I ended up with exactly what I was going for. It is super dry-writing, doesn't feather on cheap paper, has the great true-blue color of Lamy blue-black but the enhanced shading you get from Pelikan Blue-Black, and it doesn't have whatever ingredient prevents Pelikan Blue-Black from being imported into the US. The secret ingredient to get the extra shading is definitely the 1ml of water that I added.

Overall, I would say this isn't worth the effort for most, but was definitely fun for me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HolySwissCheese fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 22, 2013

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Dominoes posted:

Well it shouldn't have any ink in it at all, you need to get ink and put it in yourself with a pen that has a built in filling system. Actually I don't think any fountain pens come pre-inked, at most they'd have a cartridge with them.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Brightman posted:

Well it shouldn't have any ink in it at all, you need to get ink and put it in yourself with a pen that has a built in filling system. Actually I don't think any fountain pens come pre-inked, at most they'd have a cartridge with them.

HolySwissCheese posted:

Lamy pens come the factory with two things that make the first writing experience less than perfect. 1. There is usually a little bit of grease left over from the manufacturing process. 2. They test the pens in the factory using blue ink (hence the blue ink you see). Both of these problems are easily solved by cycling the pen with room temperature water. In order to cycle the pen, be certain that the breather hole is submerged into the water. The breather hole is the round opening in the bottom of the stainless section near the nib. While ink leaves via the nib, it enters via this hole.

The bubble you saw is air being expelled via the nib into the water. However, I am guessing your breather hole is not all the way in the water, meaning that you are just drawing up more air when you screw down the blind cap (the top of the pen that you rotate to operate the piston).

For what it's worth, my Lamy 2000 is one of my favorite things that I own. Lamy has a lifetime warranty, so if there is a problem, they should be able to make you whole pretty quickly.

Thanks; it not having ink is probably the problem. Ordered some. It looks like you're right about while experimenting, I wasn't closing the cap with the pen still submerged. I tried closing it with the hole still submerged, and now when I unsubmerge it and unscrew the end, the water drips out.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Mar 22, 2013

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Vitamins posted:

Not sure if you have to be a member of FPN to view these pages, but the pinned threads at the top are a fantastic resource for those wanting to learn other cursive and calligraphic styles: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/forum/12-penmanship/

Thanks for this! I also found this while searching on my own that might help some people: http://www.calligraphy-skills.com/italic-lettering.html It also has good directions for Gothic, as well.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Xachariah posted:

Most people with poor hand writing tend to use their fingers too much when writing. To get smooth loops you want to use the shoulder and forearm muscles. An exercise is to lift your hand in the air and imagine you are drawing large letters on an imaginary board without moving fingers, this will show you the feeling of the muscles needed for the majority of the work.

This is especially necessary for fountain pens because writing with your fingers causes the angle/rotation of the pen to change and the pen to skip in many cases.

You should be able to find children's handwriting workbooks for learning cursive. Don't think it demeaning to yourself if you get one, cursive flows better when the letters are done in a certain way and it could take you a lot of learning and unlearning bad habits to figure it out.

I've unironically been devoted a good amount of time over the last few weeks to retraining my handwriting. It's not as hard as I thought it was, and my writing has improved greatly, though it is still almost completely illegible. :smith:

http://www.paperpenalia.com/handwriting.html

That is my favorite guide on the subject, and not just because the guy is a sausage-fingered fountain pen user.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Jesus, I just ordered another Clairefontaine notebook with blank ruling, like three more ink sample packages (because NOW they're on sale, so that's like 24 samples of ink?), a Lamy Joy 1.9, and a TWSBI Diamond 580 1.1.

My handwriting better drat well be fit for the royal family after all this impulse shopping! What the hell are you doing to me, thread?! :retrogames::ohdear::retrogames:

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Finally putting in an order for the custom Edison I mentioned a few pages ago. :neckbeard:
However now I have the agonising wait for it to be made. I might have to buy some new inks to fill the void. :getin:

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Vitamins posted:

Finally putting in an order for the custom Edison I mentioned a few pages ago. :neckbeard:
However now I have the agonising wait for it to be made. I might have to buy some new inks to fill the void. :getin:

What did you snag again? I love the look of the emerald Hudson that Goulet Pens sells, but one of those pneumatic filler Beaumonts would be so cool!

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

SnakesRevenge posted:

What did you snag again? I love the look of the emerald Hudson that Goulet Pens sells, but one of those pneumatic filler Beaumonts would be so cool!

I was originally going to go for a Herald Grande, but looking at pictures of them they are absolutely huge, way too large for my hands.

So I'm getting a Huron in a colour called Mottled Silver Amber. The pneumatic fillers look awesome so I've asked Brian if he can do one in the Huron, if not it'll be the bulb filler.

I'll be sure to post pictures and a review when I get it, I've never seen an Edison in the flesh let alone know anyone else that has one so I'm really curious how it's going to turn out. But after reading reviews it looks like Brian makes a fantastic product.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Spent the afternoon at the ren faire outside of Austin, and one of the tents happened to be the guy who runs Scribal Workshop. I ended up buying Mermaid and Siren since he turned out to be a pretty cool guy. He said his biggest, biggest pet peeve is feathering, and his pride is that his inks work really well on all but the very worst paper. I told him I usually use a Lamy on whatever paper I can get at work, and he seemed really empathetic. Pretty cool to meet a guy who actually makes his own ink. $8 per 60ml is also insanely cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
This guy is 1 of 11 Master Penman.

http://vimeo.com/62116940