Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

serious gaylord posted:

The only change to the trade terms miniwargaming were already signed up to is that they're not allowed to sell outside of their region, or break up box sets and sell things individually like the little rule book.

I'm all for ragging on GW when they do something stupid, but this reeks of them using GW as an excuse for poor business decisions and an inability to plan for the future.

They also capped the number of orders you can actually make as a vendor along with a number of other things. Not saying I disagree with you, but there's more hilarious GW poo poo in the new trade agreements than just those things.

e: grammar

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

BULBASAUR posted:

They also capped the number of orders you can actually make as a vendor along with a number of other things. Not saying I disagree with you, but there's more hilarious GW poo poo in the new trade agreements that just those things.

yeah, restricting the non core orders to $500 a month is a complete joke.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Cataphract posted:

yeah, restricting the non core orders to $500 a month is a complete joke.

What are Non-Core orders?

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Has anyone here actually played on a board like this? I imagine it completely changes the game for the most part. Anything that can fly over those walls just got a WHOLE lot better than they would be in a normal game. I also see some pretty dick moves with drop pods or other large deep striking stuff were you can block up some of those door ways and trap troops in a single room. Pretty cool, but I am not sure I would want to play on that thing regularly

There are rules specifically designed for this type of game. They are incredibly fun. They are basically refined rules that were included as part of the "Boarding Actions" from The Imperial Armour Baddab War books.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/z/ZM6thUpdate.pdf

Improbable Lobster posted:

Is there any fluff behind Zone Mortalis? A board that cool long must have a story behind it.

From the first paragraph of the Zone Mortalis rules (linked above):

The following rules expansion for Warhammer 40,000 deals with some of the most savage arenas of combat conceivable, the battlefields the Codex Tactica Imperialis refers to as ‘Zone Mortalis’—the fatal ground. Such zones, be they the contested decks of a void warship, tangled mine works, lightless under-hives, the prison-vaults of sundered fortress citadels, labyrinthine industrial sewer systems and sacred catacombs, all have a confluence of factors in common such as close confinement, limited access for attack or escape routes, as well as treacherous environments, which make them murderous venues for warfare.
These rules off

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Hand posted:

There are rules specifically designed for this type of game. They are incredibly fun. They are basically refined rules that were included as part of the "Boarding Actions" from The Imperial Armour Baddab War books.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/z/ZM6thUpdate.pdf

Those terrain rules :stare:
Seems like infantry's pretty much the way to go.

Edit:
\/\/\/\/ Looks like 24 tiles. Each tile is 25 pounds. So, 600 pounds.
Alternatively, you can get 16 tiles for 350 pounds, and the other 8 for another 200 pounds. So, 550 pounds.
There's also a 4 pack for 90 pounds which'd end up at 540 for 24 tiles. But I don't think you get to pick the tiles that way.
:stare: :stare: :stare:
That's a lot of moon money either way.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 21, 2013

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Seriously though, Ghost Hand, what did that set you back? I'm guessing right around a grand?

serious gaylord posted:

The only change to the trade terms miniwargaming were already signed up to is that they're not allowed to sell outside of their region, or break up box sets and sell things individually like the little rule book.

I'm all for ragging on GW when they do something stupid, but this reeks of them using GW as an excuse for poor business decisions and an inability to plan for the future.

Not really. I mean they say just as much, that they were basically on their way down anyway but this accelerated their demise by a year or so. Doesn't mean the guy can't call stupid stupid. There's a lot of really lawyerly rear end-backwards thinking in a lot of GW's explanation of this move. The guy presented some pretty fair and high-minded criticism of it.

Fix fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Mar 21, 2013

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
His left kidney- that's how much it set him back.

Worth it.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Fix posted:

Seriously though, Ghost Hand, what did that set you back? I'm guessing right around a grand?

About $965. Totally worth it. Yearly work bonus, refinance of house, and my car being paid off... plus today being my birthday made it all doable :P

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Wooow. Well, happy birthday, dude.

Bionic Psyker
Apr 23, 2009

Ghost Hand posted:

About $965. Totally worth it. Yearly work bonus, refinance of house, and my car being paid off... plus today being my birthday made it all doable :P

Hey birthday buddy!

My self present this year was warhammer related too, but more fantasy. Got myself a full kit of movement trays from Shogun. They're amazing. I think I'm going to hold off on 40k purchases for a while, I really think I'm about good for a while. Now I just need to get back to building a gaming table. And a place to put it.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Happy birthday dudes!

As to MWG getting out of the miniature sales, I'll miss them. I bought a few things back in the day from them. They gave me candy with every purchase :3:

I'd like to see GW relax and be the better business when it comes to all this nonsense. With the annual price increase coming, I'm not so sure they'll be very popular without a continuous stream of new releases. If they continue to put out more models, more rules, and more supplements to mask the sour taste they're leaving from the business side they'll be fine for another year.

Edit: Crosspost of my progress on an amazing non-GW Ork Macho Armor Nob.

Bavius fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Mar 21, 2013

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Egads. I had forgotten the real possibility that there's just a rote yearly price increase now and that's just a thing that an industry-leading business does.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
It's possible they won't, but there is absolutely nothing to stop them. They have no reason to keep the prices where they are.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Does any of you old-timers know if Forgeworld does a yearly price-hike, same as regular GW?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Yes, they do. But it's often on certain kits only as prices go up by weird decimal percentages and there seems to be absolutely no real plan or reason for most of the changes. Unpopular kits stay the same or sometimes go down as they are consolidated into packs from single miniatures while very popular kits go up from .50p-£5. Very strange.

I'd imagine this year it'll be more uniform seeing as they've started to produce more uniform kits with the same prices. The weapons and accessory kits are a good example as they tend to be a consistent price for variant, but equal, products such as additional weapons, character and squad leader upgrades etc etc - in previous years the Mk4 upgrade sprue might have been say.... a tenner, while the Mk2 might have been fifteen.

edit: Holy poo poo what the hell was up with my punctuation?

lenoon fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Mar 21, 2013

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Ghost Hand posted:

Direct order only items. So nothing that's plastic

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Fix posted:

Egads. I had forgotten the real possibility that there's just a rote yearly price increase now and that's just a thing that an industry-leading business does.

It's been a yearly trend for a long time now and it's not about to change. Pick anything you think is currently a relatively reasonable price and expect it to go up by £3-5, or $5-10USD, or a small car deposit in Australia.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I did a thing Tuesday:

A 2nd ed 40k game in the original Rogue Trader GM quasi RPG style. Limited wargear, units, points, all the fun none of the cheese.

Stock 2nd really was pretty good. The codex and wargear crap is what really hurt it.

Ill give a full recapture tonight but in short the IG had 4 injuries, 1 permanent. But they also killed most of the Gretchin in the training scenario. The Space Marines got to torch a single broken Grot hiding in cover. The Guard learned why rolling HIT and MISFIRE are bad things.

Next time they get to battle each other for glory.

(Then the local Arbite commander rebels and the Fun begins...)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
That's super cool! I would love the chance to play all the old versions just to see how things evolved. But I have a hard enough time getting interest in Blood Bowl and Epic 40K.

Here's last night's battle report, Dark Angels running a Banner of Devastation in a Land Raider surrounded by 3 tac squads, versus Space Wolves with Grey Hunters and Long Fangs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOdLnjfnreI

I'll be honest, not the greatest game in the world but I'm using a new bit of software so the transitions and captions are at least way way better than before. I'm working on voiceovers and format as well to make them more engaging.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Ghost Hand posted:

Photo of black tar heroin

Ghost, I notice its all black and somewhat painted does it come prepainted or preprimed? Also when will you admit on air that you are a totally FWs whore?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Has anyone here actually played on a board like this? I imagine it completely changes the game for the most part. Anything that can fly over those walls just got a WHOLE lot better than they would be in a normal game. I also see some pretty dick moves with drop pods or other large deep striking stuff were you can block up some of those door ways and trap troops in a single room. Pretty cool, but I am not sure I would want to play on that thing regularly

No fliers, no models over 4" wide, so...

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

No fliers, no models over 4" wide, so...

All I have to do is blow ~$1000 to make Genestealers good again. :allears:

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Why do you have to spend anything close to that? You can make a similar board with barricades made out of foam board. We play using space hulk tiles and it's very fun.

Change your game up.

Edit: Hive guard are broken as gently caress on it though, don't take them if you want to avoid ruining hobbies.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
That board makes me want nothing but mawlocks and ymargl stealers. EVERYTHING IS TERRAIN, gently caress YOU!

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ghost Hand posted:

The guy in the MWG video mentioned that GW had two tiers of products. The popular stuff that they could bulk order like popular box sets and then there are the non core products that they have to order direct, the less popular stuff like resin models. GW is limiting the amount of the non core sets that retailers can order to $500 per month. Apparently MWG gets in $5,000 worth of orders for the non core products a month.

End result being that 3rd party retailers are being pushed into a position where they can't make these products available because there's no guarantee that they will be allowed to order enough stock.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
You'd think that GW would want to avoid putting any more restrictions on the throughput, so to speak, of their resin character kits and whatnot. The insane markup on finecast is already enough of an incentive for people to convert their stuff out of plastic or go third party or something.

I mean, I get that they're gambling that people will still want to buy their Belial model or whatever and will consequently go direct to GW when their preferred reseller has hit the $500 cap, but every bump they strew in the path of the consumer is an additional cumulative chance for someone to go "gently caress this poo poo."

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
But, by their logic, how many kids are going to kitbash/convert/buy someone else's product. They don't give a poo poo about vets, remember? We don't buy anything, or apparently provide anything of value to the hobby! And new players are probably more likely to just buy from GW, especially younger ones who aren't as into the painting or modeling and just want some cool dudes.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

krushgroove posted:

That's super cool! I would love the chance to play all the old versions just to see how things evolved. But I have a hard enough time getting interest in Blood Bowl and Epic 40K.

Here's last night's battle report, Dark Angels running a Banner of Devastation in a Land Raider surrounded by 3 tac squads, versus Space Wolves with Grey Hunters and Long Fangs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOdLnjfnreI

I'll be honest, not the greatest game in the world but I'm using a new bit of software so the transitions and captions are at least way way better than before. I'm working on voiceovers and format as well to make them more engaging.

That's some fisheye lens. I don't know how I feel about it. It's great at keeping things in focus even close up but you loose a feel for distance and as you sweep across the board things distort and some people can get queasy. Though as I watched I kinda got used to it.

Also, the DA player did a Hit and Run after assaulting a vehicle, which he can't. Hit and Run can only be done if you are locked in combat [p38], which you are never locked in combat with a vehicle [p76] (only exception is walkers [p84]). I can see how a RAI argument would say it's silly they can't hit and run from a vehicle where they can versus an infantry squad, but I gotta :goonsay:

edit: page references

WhiteOutMouse fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 21, 2013

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Man, I wish the Infinity fluff was more exciting, and their models less difficulty to put together, and their rules not google-french. I'd switch in a heartbeat

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Bavius posted:

Why do you have to spend anything close to that? You can make a similar board with barricades made out of foam board. We play using space hulk tiles and it's very fun.

Change your game up.

Edit: Hive guard are broken as gently caress on it though, don't take them if you want to avoid ruining hobbies.

I prefer these walls personally; made for much less than $1000.00

http://remotepresence.blogspot.com/2011/09/yu-gin-tutorialoject-terrain.html

http://remotepresence.blogspot.com/2011/10/terrain-walls-pt-2.html

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

I prefer these walls personally; made for much less than $1000.00
Flooring frames, plastic beads and staples?

ed: And electrical tape. Brilliant :allears:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 21, 2013

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Thundercracker posted:

Man, I wish the Infinity fluff was more exciting, and their models less difficulty to put together, and their rules not google-french. I'd switch in a heartbeat

If you take the time to read the Infinity fluff and actually get into a series of games that tell a story across multiple missions as opposed to 40k's "Two armies face off against one another in a contest of kill the other guy because the other guy is your enemy for [insert reason here]" you might come to enjoy Infinity much more.

Seriously look at the fluff that was posted in the Infinity thread on SA by Pierzak

Data Sphere posted:

A design error

It all started by a stupid design error.

The low cost home appliances line "Pelham Solutions" marketed a hand-held vacuum cleaner-like that supported other functions. The VC-201 was supposed to spray a cleaning product via a simple gadget besides its main vacuum cleaning duty, but the thing got a bad start. It was put on the market without no one taking care of the issue. A botched job coming from a minor firm harried by unavoidable deadlines.

The problem came after a few months when a brat from Portobello started to upload videos to Maya in which he used the VC-201 to project the rubbish from the vacuum cleaner with high enough force. It didn't look so bad, this kind of thing had already happened before with other products. Videos of people launching rubbish with the VC-201 vacuum cleaner were a trend for a week. Some VC-201 users discovered how to pump up the machine and shoot rubbish with more power.

We didn't care. Sales were rising. We didn't ask questions.

Rafael Vicenzo, from Tiradentes, Acontecimiento, was the first fatal victim of a shot fired from a VC-201. An unfortunate incident. There were more. Short range, powerful shots, victims. With fragments of every kind of rubbish encrusted in their faces. Glass, pens, food leftovers… Most of them were domestic accidents… or they looked like it.

At that moment they called me. The VC-201 was a gold mine and someone up from the corporate ladder was needed to plan the next steps.

We launched the VC-205, improved, more powerful. Why? Because customers were using the vacuum cleaners as weapons. So the VC-205 included a device that allowed it to get rubbish compacted in easier to shoot blocks. We disguised the whole move as cleaning improvements, of course.

We sold millions of copies. We launched editions in several colors. We invested in advertisements. I should admit that I did the wise thing, not putting the "Moto-Tronica" name on that.
It didn't need a weapons permit, didn't require ammo, it was untraceable, fashionable… The firm eluded any responsibility due to the fact that the minor modification it needed was made by the user.

We launched the VC-301, with a loving rotary chamber to "attach cleaning implements", we just made it semi-automatic.

Street gangs bought them in 50-unit lots. Shop owners hid it under the counter. In the most dangerous suburbs people were openly carrying them on shoulder straps. Its characteristic shooting blast was often heard in the worst corners of the human sphere.

It was a weapon that needed no special skill, it just shot a cheap shrapnel blast that filled the whole place with an effective range of seven paces. Cheaper that any handgun.

In the shiny Neo Terra streets their wealthy citizens lived oblivious of the consequences of their decisions. It was on Humanity's Edge, in the worst suburbs of Sheng Tang or Acontecimiento where the population went back to the Wild West shooting rubbish at each other.

The young urban predator profile had mutated, had increased in number and acted under a impunity veil created by our firm, because we had moved heaven and earth so that the VC-501 (an abomination with an aggressive design openly directed to male young customers) could not be considered as a "firearm".

While the main political scene actors were debating about the moral use of super-weapons of mass destruction, our vacuum cleaners were credited with thousands of dead every day in every trouble spot in any planet.

Small satellite firms started to appear; they produced butt stocks, handles, iron sights, gun barrels to improve accuracy and bags of especially effective rubbish. Common garbage turned into a valuable item and people stored it in their condos to make more ammo.

A new slang evolved; our vacuum cleaners were called "cleaners" or "limpias". To "clean" someone meant to shoot him in the face. And not every burst was the same. Killing a guy with shrapnel from metal containers was deemed as a very professional job. Plastic was something usual between street gangs that got their supplies from common garbage. Using food leftovers to "clean" someone was a show of contempt. Crimes of passion were executed with objects of sentimental value.

We were planning our next expansion step as military contractors when higher authorities intervened. Our legal counselors advised us to get the firm name out of the whole matter and leave "Pelham solutions" to be engulfed by the anger of the media, the law and the plebs.

It mattered little. The damage was already done. There was a whole market established around the "cleaners". Similar products were produced by several firms. Even "Gan Tie" got its filthy paws in the business, through several proxies of course.

A change of legislation was needed.

Even with ALEPH instant updates, the legal apparatus would take months to adapt to the situation, years before the "cleaners" were eradicated. Thousands upon thousands of dead. Thousands upon thousands of millions of profits.

There are nights when my conscience would not let me sleep. Some days I feel responsible of all this. Maybe writing these lines is my way of cleansing my share of guilt. I knew of the middling designer of the first VC-201. He ended up in the mental ward. I also knew of the brilliant career of one of the managers of the "cleaner" line, so I think not everyone got harmed in the process.

I just did my job.

That and the Campaign Paradiso book adds a lot to the game, and even without it the core books are great on their own.

I know we all love the Grim-Dark, but seriously would you ever not want to play on a table like this?

Or this?

With minis like these?

http://www.thewarstore.com/infinity.html

http://www.meeplemart.com/search?q=infinity

In squad based combat game that requires 8-15 models to play (costing between $80-125 unless you add some of the really big stuff) and takes place in a world full of different races and factions other than aliens and white human males.

A game that has monthly model releases, free army builder software, and which don't have faction books to buy over and above the core rule books? Rule books that are in fact free to download from the Infinity site?

I don't know about you, but there is a lot to like and help mitigate the relatively minor issues of models that are challenging to assemble and some fluff that simply isn't as well known as 40K's.

And yes, every single Infinity player is well aware of the furry-esque and cheesecake aspects of Infinity, which we are (almost) all deeply ashamed and embarrassed of. Then we shake it off and play a fun game of Space Islamics versus Space Scotsmen and have a grand old time, using tight rules that add real drama to the game.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 21, 2013

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Infinity has nice models and the fluff is interesting but from everything I've seen or read about it it still doesn't gratify the itch that 40K does with its mix of heroic fantasy/soft sci-fi ("grimdark" if you prefer) and chunky aesthetics.

Probably the closest thing you could get to a realistic competitor to the 40k setting is if PP did what GW did 30 years ago and made warmahordes IN SPACE.

edit to explain a bit more about why WMH doesn't already scratch the itch for me: I'm a big fan of being able to customize an army within a setting, so things like being able to build my own HQ (or equivalent), my own chapter/warband/whatever, and being able to customize models or easily buy third-party swaps, are all big draws for me. PP is far, far behind on all those things.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 21, 2013

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Yep, I find WMH pretty much "Warhammer injected with a large dose of common/business sense". I still wouldn't buy the SF equivalent, most WM minis look ugly to me and the warwarwar grimdark fluff got old about the same time I stopped listening to metal. But if some people continue to like it, who am I to question different tastes? They are stupid tastes

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bavius posted:

I've never seen that model before. Who sells it? Are there enough for a squad of 5 without repeats?

EDIT:

I know the guys who run that blog. Awesome people, and drat good modelers.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I've never seen that model before. Who sells it? Are there enough for a squad of 5 without repeats?

It's from Kromlech, they make fantastic Ork addons and models. You can get a squad of three for around $60 with shipping. They come with 5 heads, 6 arms (I just love the drill though), 3 torsos, and 3 legs. You could model up a much more distinctive force than the metal ones GW puts out but if you want kombi weapons you'll have to modify the arms.

Indolent Bastard posted:

And yes, every single Infinity player is well aware of the furry-esque and cheesecake aspects of Infinity, which we are (almost) all deeply ashamed and embarrassed of. Then we shake it off and play a fun game of Space Islamics versus Space Scotsmen and have a grand old time, using tight rules that add real drama to the game.

I don't give two shits about idiots in the hobby, so long as they stay away - 40k has it's share of weird and socially awkward people. What it boils down to is "Where can I play this? Who can I play it with?" GW has done a great job of saturating the market. I can find games of Warmahordes but I've yet to see anyone play Infinity locally. Maybe one day I will give in to yet another game system, but not just yet.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Ghost, I notice its all black and somewhat painted does it come prepainted or preprimed? Also when will you admit on air that you are a totally FWs whore?

The resin they use is black. It's very hard - much like the Realm of Battle Battleboard. Incredibuly durable. It still needs to be washed prior to painting.

Bavius posted:

This guy is so badass looking. I really like these models.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
The Infinity minis do absolutely nothing for me. Its a shame that GW pump out such good models.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

PierreTheMime posted:

All I have to do is blow ~$1000 to make Genestealers good again. :allears:

You think Genestealers are good? Imagine how wraiths are going to perform on a board like this where they get to ignore the walls as long as they dont stop in them...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

The Infinity minis do absolutely nothing for me. Its a shame that GW pump out such good models.

This is exactly the same reason I'm completely apathetic towards infinity, Models are just very uninteresting. I think Warmachine models are ok looking and picked up a two player starter to give it a go just have to build the models at some point.

• Locked thread