Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

As a contractor I like to deploy CentOS just because I like the ability to transition to a RHEL solution with minimal effort if I ever need a fully supported system.

I have never used Canonical so I can't really speak for their support. Maybe they're fine, but I guess I've just gotten so used to CentOS that I don't see a pressing need to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

In any case always use the LTS version on servers if you use Ubuntu.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
Having a mix of CentOS/RHEL/Ubuntu servers, I can honestly say avoid the Ubuntu servers. They feel slower, they definitely OOPS more often, and they're just weird to administer. You'll find more documentation out there for CentOS/RHEL than Ubuntu.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there any point to doing all the custom compiling in Gentoo if you're a desktop user? Back when I first got into Linux I used Gentoo on everything. It was the only way I could get acceptable HD video playback on my Sempron powered media PC, and, while it took ages and lots of troubleshooting to setup, it seemed to work much better than the simpler to install distros once I got everything set.

Lately I've had a weird wave of nostalgia for the days when a Gentoo Thinkpad was my main computer and I'd try a different window manager every other week. That was probably 7 years ago now and the only distro I've used since is Ubuntu on my media PC. I'm thinking about picking up a netbook for linux-ing about and would like to find a distribution that'd be sortof like Gentoo in the non-graphical install, doesn't come with anything you don't need sense, but without all the custom compiling. CentOS seemed like it might be a good choice since I'm inside it every now and again for web servers, but I wasn't sure if it was much used in the deskop realm. Ideally I'd switch my media computer to whatever I put on the netbook so it'd all be familiar.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

cr0y posted:

And is excluding the ServerName directive the way to have apache catch everything else?

No, the first listed VH in each set of NVH'es is the catch-all.

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013
The differences of yum commands really keeps annoying me when using CentOS vs Ubuntu.

takamoron
Mar 27, 2011

practice nonviolence plz

powderific posted:

Lately I've had a weird wave of nostalgia for the days when a Gentoo Thinkpad was my main computer and I'd try a different window manager every other week. That was probably 7 years ago now and the only distro I've used since is Ubuntu on my media PC. I'm thinking about picking up a netbook for linux-ing about and would like to find a distribution that'd be sortof like Gentoo in the non-graphical install, doesn't come with anything you don't need sense, but without all the custom compiling. CentOS seemed like it might be a good choice since I'm inside it every now and again for web servers, but I wasn't sure if it was much used in the deskop realm. Ideally I'd switch my media computer to whatever I put on the netbook so it'd all be familiar.

Arch might be what you are looking for. They adapted pacman for use with what they call the Arch User Repository. It gives you premade binaries for tons of software from git and elsewhere or from source with included makefiles. It's a rolling release like Gentoo but fairly easy to get configured and just leave alone. Also like Gentoo it doesn't install X by default. It can be a bit finicky but that's the price you price for configurability.

CentOS works great for a desktop system and is batteries included. There really isn't too much of a reason to compile everything from source these days unless it's not in your package manager. I finally gave up trying to be a cool kid and moved to CentOS for my laptop because I got tired of fighting with my OS every other week.

On a somewhat related note did anybody see http://blog.tenstral.net/2013/03/tanglu.html ?

takamoron fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 21, 2013

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

powderific posted:

:words: Lately I've had a weird wave of nostalgia :words:

The only reason to run Gentoo in 2013.

e: If you want to do video playback and stuff I'd recommend Fedora over CentOS.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I am personally biased against Ubuntu servers, because Canonical's priority #1 target seems to be the Linux Desktop and they'll make any breaking changes they need to get there. Red Hat, on the other hand, measures their support for RHEL on a particularly long timespan, so regardless of speed difference (which will surely be infinitesimally small), I'd go with CentOS.

Additionally, SRPMs make it super easy to compile your own package for increased performance.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Memory usage for a couple lightweight window managers:

http://l3net.wordpress.com/2013/03/17/a-memory-comparison-of-light-linux-desktops/

The differences seem large, but really aren't much unless you're only running 256MB RAM or something like that.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Bob Morales posted:

Memory usage for a couple lightweight window managers:

http://l3net.wordpress.com/2013/03/17/a-memory-comparison-of-light-linux-desktops/

The differences seem large, but really aren't much unless you're only running 256MB RAM or something like that.

Ah IceWM, good to see you friend. It's been a while.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

how do i set the zoom / aspect ratio settings on a gnome3 desktop? would love a fit-to-screen or center option for wallpapers

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

A MIRACLE posted:

how do i set the zoom / aspect ratio settings on a gnome3 desktop? would love a fit-to-screen or center option for wallpapers

Options? GNOME3 has no options!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

haha. I'm new to Gnome3, just switched from Unity. Haven't learned command line stuff yet for it...

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

A MIRACLE posted:

haha. I'm new to Gnome3, just switched from Unity. Haven't learned command line stuff yet for it...
I don't think gnome3 has any particular options that are command-line only. What he's saying is that it has no options, which isn't that far from the truth. :v:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Zom Aur posted:

I don't think gnome3 has any particular options that are command-line only. What he's saying is that it has no options, which isn't that far from the truth. :v:

FUD.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Haha okay sorry I thought he was just being sarcastic.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

Haha okay sorry I thought he was just being sarcastic.

I kind of was, but there really aren't unless you want to change config files or install random extensions.

That said I've just decided to 'live with it' like I do on my Mac. Just use the loving computer instead of spergin' about titlebar sizes and fonts and all that stuff. If I want it the 'old way' I can always install MATE or something.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
$ gsettings set org.gnome.background picture-options XXX

where XXX is one of: none, wallpaper, centered, scaled, stretched, zoom, spanned

We have lots of options.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

:smith:

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Anyone here got experience running an XMPP server? I have openfire setup and running on my VPS, however I am wondering what I need to do so that I am "allowed" to chat with Gmail users. I'm guessing it probably involves this as a starting point: http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=34143 But there may be other things necessary like a certificate or whatever.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Anyone here got experience running an XMPP server? I have openfire setup and running on my VPS, however I am wondering what I need to do so that I am "allowed" to chat with Gmail users. I'm guessing it probably involves this as a starting point: http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=34143 But there may be other things necessary like a certificate or whatever.

DNS SRV records will help, but Google is changing their federation policies.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's been a while since I did this so admittedly I'm kind of rusty:

I have two SSDs. One is an OCZ Vertex 120GB that I want to decommission because of OCZ Vertex, the other being an Intel something-something 180GB SSD I bought to replace it.

If I want to make an exact clone of the system as it exists right now, my best bet is to just boot off a third medium and dd if=/dev/old_ssd of=/dev/new_ssd, right? Will that take care of the boot sector and things like that too, or will I need to re-run grub?

Do I need to feed any other options to dd? I remember using block size as a parameter a while back. If so, how would I determine what blocksize I should use?

Sorry if these are some dumb 101 questions. I will do my own research in preparation for this backup but I wouldn't mind some opinions from this thread which I tend to trust :)

e: Oh, is blocksize just to get optimal thruput during the copy?

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 22, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Martytoof posted:

I have two SSDs. One is an OCZ Vertex 120GB that I want to decommission because of OCZ Vertex, the other being an Intel something-something 180GB SSD I bought to replace it.

If I want to make an exact clone of the system as it exists right now, my best bet is to just boot off a third medium and dd if=/dev/old_ssd of=/dev/new_ssd, right? Will that take care of the boot sector and things like that too, or will I need to re-run grub?

Do I need to feed any other options to dd? I remember using block size as a parameter a while back. If so, how would I determine what blocksize I should use?

Sorry if these are some dumb 101 questions. I will do my own research in preparation for this backup but I wouldn't mind some opinions from this thread which I tend to trust :)

I've done that before when I couldn't get a image/clone program to work. Just boot from a Linux LiveCD/USB

I'd probably use a blocksize value of 1M.

Make sure you use the disk itself, something like /dev/sda, and not the partition, like /dev/sda1

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Martytoof posted:

Blocksize is just how big of a chunk of data do you want dd to read/write at a time. If you ask it to read/write 1 byte at a time it'll happily do that and it'll be very slow. A power of two in the megabyte range should work fine (e.g. 2MB, 4MB).

The only problem with this approach is that you'll want to manually trim the partitions afterwards with fstrim. Some people don't enable real time triming in the filesystem because trim is a non-queued (synchronous) operation and instead just schedule a trim every day or so during downtime instead. SATA 3.1 has queued trim but I don't know how widespread support for that standard is at the controller/kernel/driver level.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
How can I get my system to automatically mount my eSATA drive when I power it on?

I have an N40L I'm using as a NAS and a backup server running Ubuntu-server headless. Every night I'll power on the attached eSATA drive, mount it, run my backup script (basically a bit of rsync), dismount the drive, then turn it off.

What I'd like to do is be able to just turn on the drive, and have the system detect it, mount it, run my script, dismount it. I would then still have to turn it off later but that's fine. Maybe I'd get it to send me an email when it is finished or something so that I know it's safe to go.

Could someone point me in the right direction?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

boss key posted:

How can I get my system to automatically mount my eSATA drive when I power it on?

I have an N40L I'm using as a NAS and a backup server running Ubuntu-server headless. Every night I'll power on the attached eSATA drive, mount it, run my backup script (basically a bit of rsync), dismount the drive, then turn it off.

What I'd like to do is be able to just turn on the drive, and have the system detect it, mount it, run my script, dismount it. I would then still have to turn it off later but that's fine. Maybe I'd get it to send me an email when it is finished or something so that I know it's safe to go.

Could someone point me in the right direction?

udev/udisks are the answer. udisks-glue should be able to automate everything you're trying to do.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks for the advice guys.

Longinus00 posted:

The only problem with this approach is that you'll want to manually trim the partitions afterwards with fstrim.

I'm pretty sure I have the discard keyword in fstab on this machine. Should I still be trimming manually? I'm basically not sure if this is a recommended suggestion or just something that I might want to do manually in addition to having it autotrim.

Sorry, storage is pretty much my weak area in Linux. Up until a year ago I was still using hardcoded /dev/sd entries instead of UUID and labels in fstab :[

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Longinus00 posted:

udev/udisks are the answer. udisks-glue should be able to automate everything you're trying to do.

Nice, thanks.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Martytoof posted:

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'm pretty sure I have the discard keyword in fstab on this machine. Should I still be trimming manually? I'm basically not sure if this is a recommended suggestion or just something that I might want to do manually in addition to having it autotrim.

Sorry, storage is pretty much my weak area in Linux. Up until a year ago I was still using hardcoded /dev/sd entries instead of UUID and labels in fstab :[

This isn't a linux specific storage issue btw., doing a similar operation in windows will also require a manual trim.

When you use dd you will be copying every bit from the first file/device onto the other and when you use it on things in /dev you're bypassing the filesystem. As a consequence, all that "free space" is going to appear to the ssd controller as real data that should be written down and not tossed. After you mount the newly copied filesystem it won't know that it's just been copied so won't trim all that free space. The only option in this case is to force a trim manually.

If you want to avoid doing the manual trim later then you need to copy over everything from inside the filesystem level, not below it. The issue with doing that is it'll almost certainly be much slower and involve many more writes than just copying in bulk and trimming later.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Thanks for the heads up. After the axing of Reader, I wanted to start migrating everything away from google. This is another example of how it's just kind of sad watch google turn into... whatever they're turning into.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Longinus00 posted:

This isn't a linux specific storage issue btw., doing a similar operation in windows will also require a manual trim.

When you use dd you will be copying every bit from the first file/device onto the other and when you use it on things in /dev you're bypassing the filesystem. As a consequence, all that "free space" is going to appear to the ssd controller as real data that should be written down and not tossed. After you mount the newly copied filesystem it won't know that it's just been copied so won't trim all that free space. The only option in this case is to force a trim manually.

If you want to avoid doing the manual trim later then you need to copy over everything from inside the filesystem level, not below it. The issue with doing that is it'll almost certainly be much slower and involve many more writes than just copying in bulk and trimming later.

This is beautiful info, thank you. The computer in question has /, /boot, and swap on the SSD (/home is a RAID array on spinning disk). Would it be enough to mount the first two under /mnt for a second on the OS I boot into to do the raw dd, then fun fstrim /mnt?

edit: Thanks for all your advice everyone! Things went so much smoother than even I imagined. Ran the dd in record time, rebooted so linux would pick up the new partitions in /dev/disk, mounted the partitions and ran an fstrim on each one, then edited the fstab to reflect the new UUIDs (i should have used a label but I was trying to introduce as few new variables into this equation as possible) and rebooted. System came up first time with zero problems.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 22, 2013

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

$ gsettings set org.gnome.background picture-options XXX

where XXX is one of: none, wallpaper, centered, scaled, stretched, zoom, spanned

We have lots of options.

Thanks this worked! The actual path was `org.gnome.desktop.background'

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I have no idea which thread to ask this in: this one, the Windows one, small software questions megathread :confused:

What is the best Remote Control, Windows -> Debian 6, software there is? (ala RealVNC, LogMeIn, etc etc?)

Preferably free, but I'd be willing to pay, if it's worth it.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

eightysixed posted:

I have no idea which thread to ask this in: this one, the Windows one, small software questions megathread :confused:

What is the best Remote Control, Windows -> Debian 6, software there is? (ala RealVNC, LogMeIn, etc etc?)

Preferably free, but I'd be willing to pay, if it's worth it.

NX

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Is there any easy way to tell when a program was last used? We have an expensive piece of software on our system whose license is about to expire, and we don't know if we want to renew it. I sent out an email to everyone who may use it and nobody claimed that they do, but that's apparently not good enough.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

Saint Darwin posted:

Is there any easy way to tell when a program was last used? We have an expensive piece of software on our system whose license is about to expire, and we don't know if we want to renew it. I sent out an email to everyone who may use it and nobody claimed that they do, but that's apparently not good enough.

If it spits out any logs you could look at those...

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
If the filesystem was mounted without disabling atime then you can look at that by stating the executable. Of course other things besides users running the program could update the atime.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Has anyone ever been forced to use MKS Toolkit before? Is it as big a piece of poo poo as I feel it is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Hadlock posted:

Has anyone ever been forced to use MKS Toolkit before? Is it as big a piece of poo poo as I feel it is?

It's fine, in the same way that Cygwin and SFU/Interix are fine. It's not Linux, but it's a fine halfway measure. At this point I'd just advocate that you virtualize Linux on a Windows host if you need *nix and use Powershell (or WSH Python/Ruby/Perl/whatever) if you want "real" scripting.