Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Green Jacket
Oct 23, 2008

Suddenly I have a refreshing mint flavor!
Aha! Those Fleer cards are it! My brother (who was actually the one collecting them) would have been 9 then so it adds up. He had a binder and everything. It stood out because he didn't collect cards normally but he latched on to that fad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

RunFish posted:

I have often thought that the 90s (and the 80s) where the worst thing to happen to cameras. I still get people to this day contacting me wanting to sell me their Canon S-2000. When I explain to them (in a much nicer way) what they have is a lovely knock off they get mad at me. I've even see some "Panasonic" video cameras that were just radios.

I agree. Canon users got screwed when they switched from the FD mount to the EF mount. Anyone who bought a VHS-C camcorder got screwed. Pentax? Minolta? *snicker* Olympus did build some badass point-and-shoot cameras though.

Tin Miss
Apr 8, 2009

Meow
Speaking of stickers...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I remember how, when Dragon Ball Z became a massive hit for Cartoon Network, Fox Kids decided they would try to replicate its success by showing Sailor Moon. Accordingly, their advertising tried to sell it as some sort of shonen action show. Nickelodeon did the same thing when they got Cardcaptor Sakura. Fox Kids also broadcast Vision Of Escaflowne, which in retrospect seems like kind of an odd choice.

They had better luck with Digimon, of course.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

Everyone had that one friend who was absolutely obsessed with these two and their infinite supply of mediocre movies.

Mine made me sit through It Takes Two at least five times :negative:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Metal Loaf posted:

I remember how, when Dragon Ball Z became a massive hit for Cartoon Network, Fox Kids decided they would try to replicate its success by showing Sailor Moon. Accordingly, their advertising tried to sell it as some sort of shonen action show. Nickelodeon did the same thing when they got Cardcaptor Sakura. Fox Kids also broadcast Vision Of Escaflowne, which in retrospect seems like kind of an odd choice.

I think most people remember DBZ and Sailor moon from back when they actually aired in syndication. Problem was, as most people recall, DBZ's syndicated episodes ended right before the episode where Goku finally went Super Saiyan. So you'd get right to the climax of the Namek saga and all of a sudden here comes Raditz again.

Fox Kids only aired part of Escaflowne before pulling the plug on it, which makes sense in retrospect. I think the last episode that aired ended with Van ripping open Hitomi's shirt to preform CPR. :v:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Jr. posted:

Maybe this has already been mentioned, but:

These bitches. With elbow and knee pads, of course. All those Active Cool Young Adults in NYC parks in movies or whatever had these. My mom bought me a pair in a Moscow train station, and my sister and I tried to go out and learn how to rollerblade probably a whopping three times before they got shoved in a grey plastic bag and were forgotten. Also, I remember these were one of the groupies for XTREME SPORTS, along with skateboards and BMX. There's a girl on my campus that uses these as transport, but when you're in college, basically anything goes (longboards? yep. Razor scooters with motors and seats? gently caress yeah). Like I did when I was 8, I keep getting a feeling that if I just bought a pair right now, I'd be a natural at it and not look lame at all! Inline skating, your star faded too quickly. :(

You would get mocked mercilessly for wearing elbow pads and/or a brake in my :canada: neck of the woods. Those "futuristic" plastic rollerblades were out of the question too. I had (and still have) these

Knee pads were somehow acceptable.

I graduated high school in 1998 and the only thing that kept our friend group together after that was pick-up roller hockey. Good times. It all fell apart when they decided to do a never-ending renovation on the rink though. :( Wish I still played.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SpazmasterX posted:

Fox Kids only aired part of Escaflowne before pulling the plug on it, which makes sense in retrospect. I think the last episode that aired ended with Van ripping open Hitomi's shirt to preform CPR. :v:

Really? While I know there were a few bits cut out here and there, I definitely remember seeing the whole series on Fox Kids.

Maybe it was only the UK Fox Kids?

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

leidend posted:

Knee pads were somehow acceptable.

Wrist guards were the only thing you could wear in my neighborhood without getting mocked.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Metal Loaf posted:

Really? While I know there were a few bits cut out here and there, I definitely remember seeing the whole series on Fox Kids.

Maybe it was only the UK Fox Kids?

Probably. I never saw another episode of Escaflowne on TV after that episode.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The other anime series I remember seeing on Fox Kids in the 1990s was Shinzo. I can't remember very much of it, but it seemed pretty generic.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Metal Loaf posted:

The other anime series I remember seeing on Fox Kids in the 1990s was Shinzo. I can't remember very much of it, but it seemed pretty generic.

There were quite a few, but most of them were nothing special. Fox Kids didn't actually really start airing anime until 2000.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Going back to the Rescue 911/Unsolved Mysteries conversation, anyone else a fan of America's Most Wanted back in the 90s? Granted the show started in the 80s and continues today (just not on FOX anymore) but I was a fan as a kid as morbid as that sounds. Not surprising I'm going to be entering the field of security and hopefully law enforcement one day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDmGO6scwRk

That theme song, just creepy but so mood-setting.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:

Metal Loaf posted:

Who else thought this was a terrifying when they were seven?

I loved this game so much. I think I still have it somewhere.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Oh gosh. That game.

EVERY. SINGLE. HORRIFIC. DEATH.

Seriously, who thought those were funny? They were horrifying.

RunFish
Sep 15, 2007

PhotoKirk posted:

I agree. Canon users got screwed when they switched from the FD mount to the EF mount. Anyone who bought a VHS-C camcorder got screwed. Pentax? Minolta? *snicker* Olympus did build some badass point-and-shoot cameras though.

Without getting too wordy about it, I have a lot of cameras.. a lot.. And I've ended up with some cool camera related media as well. Here is a Canon poster that details what the 90s and 80s did to Canon. As you can see it starts in 1935 with the Kwanon and ends in 1997 with the Sure Shot.

And for some more on topic content.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Metal Loaf posted:

Maybe it was a UK thing, because in the U.S. Cartoon Network aired both Sailor Moon and DBZ in the same block. And they never really made a secret of the fact that it was a pretty girly show.

:goonsay:

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

Ain't you ever seen a naked chick riding a clam before?

Remember when she starred in this when it was cutting edge technology at the time? :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GWQgb015Lc

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

DicktheCat posted:

Oh gosh. That game.

EVERY. SINGLE. HORRIFIC. DEATH.

Seriously, who thought those were funny? They were horrifying.

Jesus christ, you aren't kidding.

"Rated E for Everyone!"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Intrusive Thoughts posted:

Going back to the Rescue 911/Unsolved Mysteries conversation, anyone else a fan of America's Most Wanted back in the 90s? Granted the show started in the 80s and continues today (just not on FOX anymore) but I was a fan as a kid as morbid as that sounds. Not surprising I'm going to be entering the field of security and hopefully law enforcement one day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDmGO6scwRk

That theme song, just creepy but so mood-setting.

I remember watching this when I was younger and getting freaked out about it, then later in life finding out the true story about how it was made and I realized how helpful it could be.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Man, this thread has been a trip down memory lane. The 90s was such a magical time, it was basically the 80s but more :krad:. It's also depressing because the wackiness of the 90s pretty much ended once 9/11 happened and everything is now super-serious and cynical, for the most part. I want my teen years back. :sigh:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Starhawk64 posted:

Man, this thread has been a trip down memory lane. The 90s was such a magical time, it was basically the 80s but more :krad:. It's also depressing because the wackiness of the 90s pretty much ended once 9/11 happened and everything is now super-serious and cynical, for the most part. I want my teen years back. :sigh:

I blame mass adoption of the Internet and associated newfound ability to be constantly and meticulously self-aware of the context and absurdity of every situation ever. You can't have natural 90's camp if you're aware that it's campy while you're doing it.

9/11 was a pretty major international buzzkill though.

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007
:sidvicious:

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

Random. But I had one. Remembered seeing it at Toys R Us. "USE BARCODES FROM EVERYDAY ITEMS"

The best part was drawing the character/item that it made on index cards, taping the barcode to the back and making your own poo poo. I spent more time making cool characters than worrying that my can of green beans only had 10hp and 2attack.
I got one of these at a garage sale, I thought I had hit the jackpot. It didn't come with any cards and I didn't realize you could make your own. Man I wish I had known that back then.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I can't remember if it's been posted already, but here's a link to the Space Jam website, which is still up seventeen years later.

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice

atdt 5045550155

ata

Always loved dialing out at the exact moment a friend tried calling, and hearing a voice coming from my modem.

I remember getting BBS magazines too, at least one or two times. They had lame listings of boards in each city (and most were for New Orleans, not Baton Rouge, so I ran up a long distance phone bill one time on accident - scary!). Luckily I was introduced to the UG when I was 11 (92-93) by an older kid on the school bus. Files co-sysop by the age of 13! Used to play Descent II at the LAN parties, eventually Warcraft 2 took over. Loved those cameras you could drop in Descent II so you could see if other people were around in that small rear end little window in your HUD. Can't remember if the camera was part of the mine you could drop or if I would drop a camera near a mine so I knew when to detonate it - been way too long since I've played to remember much about it. Carrying heavy as hell CRTs into and out of my dad's car for those parties was such a pain in the rear end. Everything is so much lighter now. :( And what was the first program that let you play IPX network games over the Internet? It started with a K!

And I remember downloading Doom 2, think I started it before leaving for school and it was still downloading when I got home. And if I remember right it was something like 50 1.44MB ZIP files. Also got a 1GB hard drive for Christmas around this time - I remember it clearly because it was the most expensive single gift I'd ever gotten, costing $500.

ZZT! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZZT) I loved this game. I always had such big aspirations for creating my own ZZT world.. think I even would draw the poo poo out for weeks in notebooks. Never did finish one, though.

Then there was MegaZeux. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MegaZeux) I didn't get as into it as I did ZZT, but I loved the fancy new graphics. (I mean, come on, look at them!)

So I LOVED Sierra and LucasArts games, and had every one of them, along with tons of NES games.. but my mom would still get me those CDs with 100+ shareware/freeware games. I remember there were a few adventure games on them. I didn't think I'd remember the name of this game but a few lucky Google searches found it for me. Hugo's House of Horrors. The only thing I really remember is I'm pretty sure there was some part of the game with an actual red herring in it. That's all I remember - and that may actually be from the sequel. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo%27s_House_of_Horrors)

And I remember trying to figure out the answers to the questions for one of the Leisure Suit Larry games. It was meant to keep kids out of the game. And "suck blue frogs" - don't think I'll ever forget that.

edit -

VVVVV thanks! I had so much trouble getting Kali to work I remember. I did do straight modem games with Duke3D and Warcraft 2 with my best friend a ton though. Was always waiting for Scorched Earth to have the modem play. I think it always said "coming soon". :(

cletus42o has a new favorite as of 20:59 on Mar 20, 2013

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.

Metal Loaf posted:

I can't remember if it's been posted already, but here's a link to the Space Jam website, which is still up seventeen years later.

Oh my god the wallpapers are made to be tiled.

cletus42o posted:

And what was the first program that let you play IPX network games over the Internet? It started with a K!

Kali.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

cletus42o posted:

And I remember trying to figure out the answers to the questions for one of the Leisure Suit Larry games. It was meant to keep kids out of the game.
Haha, I forgot about that. I guess it might've been a good idea in 1987, but even by 1995 the questions were mostly horribly dated.

Bandit Queen
May 10, 2008

Bomrek posted:

Everyone had that one friend who was absolutely obsessed with these two and their infinite supply of mediocre movies.

Mine made me sit through It Takes Two at least five times :negative:

My sisters were both obsessed with them. They watched all of their stupid movies and shows.

I used to spend hours playing this. I loved making elaborate rooms for my characters for some reason.

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007
:sidvicious:

Bandit Queen posted:

My sisters were both obsessed with them. They watched all of their stupid movies and shows.

I used to spend hours playing this. I loved making elaborate rooms for my characters for some reason.

Holy poo poo I remember this! I used to write so many horrible stories when I was in middle school. One time I handed in a story that was literally Pokemon fan fiction, and I got a B+, hell yeah teachers not knowing what Pokemon was!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The website for You've Got Mail is also still up, apparently.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Metal Loaf posted:

Oh my god, the "Games" page actually told me to update Shockwave. It's like it's 1998 all over again.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Ha, I just now realized how redundant calling it a "Mobile Battle Tank" is.

Like...isn't it sort of implied that any and every tank is mobile, and for battle?

Why not just apply that moniker to every vehicle in their arsenal?

"This is our pride of the skies, the Flying Shooting Jet."

And,

"The lynch-pin of our navy, the Floating Big Gun Battleship!"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

Like...isn't it sort of implied that any and every tank is mobile, and for battle?

And,

Furthermore, it's the "M.B.T. Mobile Battle Tank"

I wonder what the M.B.T. stands for :v:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Main Battle Tank! :haw:

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.

quote:

ZZT! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZZT) I loved this game. I always had such big aspirations for creating my own ZZT world.. think I even would draw the poo poo out for weeks in notebooks. Never did finish one, though.

Oh god I spent entirely too much of my life building worlds in ZZT. I thought I was so clever building hidden areas accessible by "Name that tune" and all sorts of other bizarre garbage. It never struck me that this was all useless since I didn't really have internet access or friends who cared. On the up side when I ended up learning object oriented programming I understood all the basics thanks to ZZT, so I guess there's that.

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.
Does anybody remember that show that was like Unsolved Mysteries, but it was pretty much a news show that only covered the supernatural? Like, it had anchors and big desks and stuff :v:

I was pretty interested in the supernatural when I was little, and in Argentina we had a channel called "Infinito" that ONLY showed that kinda stuff. We had Unsolved Mysteries, this supernatural news show, and we even had some self produced stuff, like a show called "Juro que es verdad" ("I swear it's true"). Here's a segment of that show:

http://vimeo.com/42578837

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

I wish I still had my collection of bitchin' hyperfoil X-men trading cards.

These don't properly express just how holographic and shiny the cards really were.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I think fleer 1994 X-men set is what you were talking about.

raven4267
May 7, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

And,

Hehe, never really noticed that. It is pretty redundant. :)
All they had to do to get me to buy a bunch of cards was put pictures of big guns blowing stuff up and I ate that poo poo up as a kid.

Scroto Baggins posted:

I wish I still had my collection of bitchin' hyperfoil X-men trading cards.

These don't properly express just how holographic and shiny the cards really were.

Those cards were the poo poo! I wish I still had mine as well.

raven4267 has a new favorite as of 03:19 on Mar 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

V!ntar posted:

Does anybody remember that show that was like Unsolved Mysteries, but it was pretty much a news show that only covered the supernatural? Like, it had anchors and big desks and stuff :v:

The show you are thinking of, I believe, is Sightings.

Here's a clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpfcB9WCDZc

• Locked thread