Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!
OP, if the problem is what you studied, is there any way you can look into going back to school?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Benny the Snake posted:

No it was Farmer's. There's an office down the street from me.

You do realize that people actually need insurance right. It's not like a new car or whatever they sell to confused old folks over the phone. Stop being dumb.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Pfirti86 posted:

OP, if the problem is what you studied, is there any way you can look into going back to school?
It's time and money I don't have right now. For me, I'd have to take out more loans to go into graduate school. So I'm going to look into it later.

This Monday I'm going around town to any and every place I can find to apply at. I'm not hesitant to work at a fast food job, or at a supermarket. Heck, I loved working at a supermarket pushing carts-great exercise! And I've been going to my job agency and asking if there's anything, even warehouse jobs and they've said no. I'm waiting until Monday because it's the first day of business and there's more than likely going to be a hiring manager on scene.

On top of that, Thursday’s a job fair at USC. $15 for a ticket but as far as I'm concerned it's money very well spent. There'll be dozens of companies over there-I already looked at the list. I'm going to make a huge push this upcoming week and I hope something turns up. I'll work on calling family today in the meantime.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Double post disregard.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

CountingCrows posted:

So goons, is the job market in good o'l America really this dismal? Or does OP give off vibes of "Hahahah, yeah right" whenever someone considers him for even the most menial low skilled job?

I don't wanna be an rear end, but I'd imagine I could get a minimum wage job at McDonald's or a supermarket within a month without that much difficulty. Is this really not true?

It really depends on where you live. Where I am it iis worse then what it was ten years ago but you can pick up a low paying low skill job within a week if you want one. Other areas are worse and a few are better off.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
You're just now 'going around town' to apply for every job you see? How many jobs have you applied for so far?

Carlos Spicywiener
Sep 8, 2011

Moustache fart.

docbeard posted:

OP, while you probably shouldn't listen to the people here who seem to think that you can just wander into a McDonalds and order an Extra Value Meal #5 with a side order of part-time employment

OP should actually apply for jobs and then (and only then) complain about how hard it is to find work.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Benny the Snake posted:

It's time and money I don't have right now. For me, I'd have to take out more loans to go into graduate school. So I'm going to look into it later.

This Monday I'm going around town to any and every place I can find to apply at. I'm not hesitant to work at a fast food job, or at a supermarket. Heck, I loved working at a supermarket pushing carts-great exercise! And I've been going to my job agency and asking if there's anything, even warehouse jobs and they've said no. I'm waiting until Monday because it's the first day of business and there's more than likely going to be a hiring manager on scene.

On top of that, Thursday’s a job fair at USC. $15 for a ticket but as far as I'm concerned it's money very well spent. There'll be dozens of companies over there-I already looked at the list. I'm going to make a huge push this upcoming week and I hope something turns up. I'll work on calling family today in the meantime.

Hey how about you apply to all the jobs there this time instead of just one, OK?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Well my job search was fruitful. I applied for about ten places today. Three places, fast food joints, are hiring. I'm following up on them this week. I applied with textbroker.com and now I just sent them a W-9 so they can put me on payroll. And I got a call from a political campaign and after telling them I want a paid position and they want me to send them a resume. I feel pretty good right now about my prospects. Tomorrow I'm pounding the pavement again. So far things are looking very good.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
How'd it go?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

juche mane posted:

How'd it go?
Let's see, I ran around Tuesday and Wednesday as well. Found a couple of places that were hiring. Been filling out applications like mad. I called my McDonald's yesterday and I had to re-apply. I also applied to local mom and pop place who's doing interviews Friday. I'll swing by tomorrow. I also dropped in to my local In-N-Out and to my pleasant surprise, the manager said they're hiring and took down my number to call me back. Frustrating enough, In-N-Out doesn't give out numbers to individual locations which is rather counter-intuitive. In-N-Out is awesome, so I'll be sure to drop in next week to double-check.

Now to apply online to a couple other places.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Have you applied to any jobs that do not hire teenagers?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Sigma-X posted:

Is there any course of action he can take that wont get criticised by somebody in this thread?

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

If you bothered to read the thread, you'd see that the OP has applied in plenty of places besides fast-food joints, but as this point needs a job and is diligently applying everywhere to do so.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

CravingSolace posted:

If you bothered to read the thread, you'd see that the OP has applied in plenty of places besides fast-food joints, but as this point needs a job and is diligently applying everywhere to do so.

Hes done in 2 weeks what I did in 2 days when I was looking. He has a wildly different view of trying, he has nothing else to do with his time. Its better than nothing though I guess but I'm not gonna congratulate it.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I'm pretty sure I got an interview at the Tilly's. I submit my application directly to the working manager and he starts asking me questions: interview questions. Like "What's the difference between customer service and selling something to a customer?" He asked me about how my previous work and volunteer experience would apply to a retail environment. I answered him as carefully and as thoughtfully as possible and I'm positive I made a good impression on him. Like when he asked how I went above and beyond for a job, I talked about how I canvassed a neigborhood on my own for three hours straight to talk to talk to voters directly. Unfortunately the guy was a shift manager and not the store manager. But all the same, I'm confident that I have my foot in the door. I'm going to make more similar runs next week. Meanwhile tomorrow I'm calling the deli when the manager said she'd do interviews. Things are very much looking up.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 22, 2013

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

ClemenSalad posted:

Hes done in 2 weeks what I did in 2 days when I was looking. He has a wildly different view of trying, he has nothing else to do with his time. Its better than nothing though I guess but I'm not gonna congratulate it.

He's gone to every place he can, gone to job fairs, tried family connections, etc. What the hell else can he do?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

CravingSolace posted:

He's gone to every place he can, gone to job fairs, tried family connections, etc. What the hell else can he do?

I mean there was that job fair where he applied to all of one job, because he thought that selling insurance was ignoble work compared to applying to McDonalds.

There's the fact that he's only looking for jobs within 15 minutes of his parent's home.

He's not sitting on his rear end entirely but he seems really comfortable where he's at, and is taking literal weeks to do what could have been days worth of effort. I don't see any particular reason to call this guy a champion here yet.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

CravingSolace posted:

At this point if you are not knocking on random doors in your neighbourhood to see if they are hiring you are just slacking off you lazy leeches.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Namarrgon posted:

At this point if you are not knocking on random doors in your neighbourhood to see if they are hiring you are just slacking off you lazy leeches.

Not even businesses. He should just knock on random doors of houses on the off chance that the CEO of We're Always Hiring lives there and is in a good mood.

This is one of the things that makes job-hunting terrible. No matter how much you're doing, there's always the sense that you should be doing more (and someone who is happy to tell you so).

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
OP, please don't go knocking on doors, unless you plan on wearing a cowboy hat, bolo tie and kahki blazer, pretending to be "old school southern."

Really though, your best bet is to go door to door selling gasoline, out of a Range Rover.

ClemenSalad posted:

On paper/internet forum context only, I'd agree with you. The only reason why I'm not on your side is because these threads are always disorganized, conversation/chat type threads.

If the OP really wanted to get more out of it, he would give us a more comprehensive list of what he's doing.

I know this post pertains to the whole idea of "no matter what path the OP takes, goons will insult him."

Honestly though, when I was looking for work, I submitted organized reports to my career counselor.

March 22
-Submitted application to https://www.website.com sent cover letter to hr@website.com Follow up scheduled for March 27th.
-Dropped off application at Wendy's no face to face conversation with hiring manager. Manager's will be in on March 24th 8am-4pm
-Followed up with https://www.fuckshit.com in regards to cover letter/resume sent in on March 18th

OP, I hope you're keeping records of what you're up to. Obviously I'm not demanding you tell us everything but I hope you're not relying on your memory for stuff like this. Having your job search procedures down on paper brings things into far better perspective. You can more properly assess the way you handle scheduling, followups, walk ins, etc.

Also, use your phone's calendar/task list/notepad.

cname fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 22, 2013

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I'm keeping my applications on record, but I focus on the ones where the manager says "We have open positions in our location." Quite a bit of places will have a "now hiring", "help wanted", or "accepting applications" and then turn around to say "Yeah, not for this location, sorry. We're talking about one that's over there." I put the ones where they have open positions on-site on the top of my list and call once a week until I either get an interview or they tell me that the position is no longer available.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Remind us again why you need to live with your parents and thus can only apply to jobs within 15 minutes of their home?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Sigma-X posted:

Remind us again why you need to live with your parents and thus can only apply to jobs within 15 minutes of their home?
OP does not have a car and his public transportation options are garbage. I'd also imagine his lack of funds and transportation would make difficult to find a place to live where he will theoretically find a job.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Wolfy posted:

OP does not have a car and his public transportation options are garbage. I'd also imagine his lack of funds and transportation would make difficult to find a place to live where he will theoretically find a job.
Exactly. I've gotta start small for now.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Wolfy posted:

It depends on the type of job but often offices are willing to fly you out to interview you/pay for your relocation. He doesn't necessarily have to stick to where he can get to today.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Jeffrey posted:

It depends on the type of job but often offices are willing to fly you out to interview you/pay for your relocation. He doesn't necessarily have to stick to where he can get to today.

Yeah the OP is having trouble getting a fast food job so clearly the answer is to get someone to fly him out for an interview and complementary housing.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Dr_Amazing posted:

Yeah the OP is having trouble getting a fast food job so clearly the answer is to get someone to fly him out for an interview and complementary housing.

Believe it or not there are 80 gazillion more jobs he can try to apply to outside of a 15 minute circle, he graduated from college and there's lots of things he is qualified for.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
While making a wider sweep of further-out jobs would naturally slow him down on a per day basis, I could still imagine going up to 1 hour each way to get a job. Life can suck, but it's worth it if you get that job that can help you move on with your life.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Jeffrey posted:

Believe it or not there are 80 gazillion more jobs he can try to apply to outside of a 15 minute circle, he graduated from college and there's lots of things he is qualified for.

It's true he's probably going to have to open up the search a little. But unless he's like the only person in the country that can do a job, no one is going to pay for an air ticket just to get him in for an interview. Are there any jobs at all that would do this for anything outside of a one of a kind engineer or surgeon or something? Is it really something that happens often?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Dr_Amazing posted:

It's true he's probably going to have to open up the search a little. But unless he's like the only person in the country that can do a job, no one is going to pay for an air ticket just to get him in for an interview. Are there any jobs at all that would do this for anything outside of a one of a kind engineer or surgeon or something? Is it really something that happens often?

If they aren't paying me to fly out I'm not taking the job :smug: (but seriously, if they won't fly me out I'm not taking the job. I'm in the games industry and its the status quo, but we're skilled labor with off-the-job training. Even a run-of-the-mill engineer will be getting their interviews covered unless its a lovely place, though. You don't have to have 1 of 300,000,000 type skills, just skills that require existing training and experience.)

If the OP had tangible, demonstrable skills, yes, it is possible to have a company fly you out for an interview.

The OP has a BA in English which doesn't teach a trade the way an engineering or comp sci degree does, however, and he doesn't have an existing work history of note, except for his political canvassing, and given his relatively weak grasp of the English language (which is actually common among English majors, if my friends are any indication), I doubt he has the ability to market whatever skills he has in a way that won't ring hollow.

But even if he has no marketable skills, there are plenty of jobs within a distance such that he could drive out to an interview, and then either figure out reliable transportation or new lodging if an offer was made. This would require some element of planning, carry some risk (the OP would have to not suck so badly at the job that he gets fired, or else he'd likely have to move back in with the parents or sell the used car, etc), and otherwise require him to break out of his comfortable existence where mom buys and cooks all his food and shuttles his rear end around and does everything short of rubbing it out for him.

So instead, he applies to fast food jobs that he is overqualified for within walking distance of Mom's place to make a token effort, rather than buckling down and growing up.

Everyone moves out of Mom's place eventually (except for goons). This is the time for the OP to do so, and the first part of that search is looking for jobs that aren't on the way to Mom's favorite grocery store.

e: I would like to point out that the sole opportunity cost for the OP applying to jobs outside of MomCab's range is missing out on reading some comic books or playing a videogame. Dude has no responsibilities outside of household chores and his internship ended. Even on a lottery-winning chance, he should be applying to jobs. The worst thing that happens is they pass on him and he doesn't get the job, which he doesn't have anyways.

Apply to all manner of jobs, you can choose to not take them once they interview/make the offer. Shutting yourself down like you did with those insurance company jobs at the job fair is of absolutely no benefit.

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 23, 2013

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Dr_Amazing posted:

Relocation and paid travel expenses for an interview are common after a certain point in your career. BA in English + successful internship is not that point.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Good luck on your job search, OP. This poo poo is difficult, and I know how you feel. I'm at a stage where I'm either over-qualified for smaller jobs, but under-qualified for the rest and any in-betweens are just not available right now. I can see why you don't want to move out yet, because being poor and living hand to mouth is bullshit. Just keep the job search going, spring is when many places start hiring since university students who are from out of town go home, summer camps open up if you like working with kids...all sorts of different opportunities are going to be presenting themselves within the next couple months.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Hey Benny I thought of something. I am pretty sure you mentioned that you are in touch with the career center at your alma mater, right? Can you contact the alumni relations person and ask for the names of any alumni who currently work in [field in which you want to work]? Even if these people are in different locations from you, you never know what advice they may have and who they may know.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
Sigma-X, he does not have a car, so he can't drive out, and the bus transportation is unreliable. He's also fairly broke, which is why he's at his mom's house for the moment, and also why he is applying pretty much everywhere, even fast-food joints.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

CravingSolace posted:

Sigma-X, he does not have a car, so he can't drive out, and the bus transportation is unreliable. He's also fairly broke, which is why he's at his mom's house for the moment, and also why he is applying pretty much everywhere, even fast-food joints.

Well I presume the point would be if he could get a job that is far away from mom's but pays better/has a career attached to it, he could actually use the money he gets from it to move out/get a cheap car. Getting a fast food job means he has some money now but he still is tasked with finding a "real" job. It doesn't solve the issue it delays it. The income coming in can help but the feeling of complacency that has something will hurt.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Jeffrey posted:

Well I presume the point would be if he could get a job that is far away from mom's but pays better/has a career attached to it, he could actually use the money he gets from it to move out/get a cheap car. Getting a fast food job means he has some money now but he still is tasked with finding a "real" job. It doesn't solve the issue it delays it. The income coming in can help but the feeling of complacency that has something will hurt.

If he can't get there, how is he going to get money from it to move out, though?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Is 15min on foot? On bus? Or getting a ride?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Araenna posted:

If he can't get there, how is he going to get money from it to move out, though?

Again, any company that really wants to hire him is probably willing to give him enough money to relocate. I'm not talking about further away fast food jobs, obviously they have to be a step above that before they'll consider it. However asking a new employer for enough money to relocate closer (just security deposit lets say) is not unreasonable. It is not very much compared to a person's wage and I'm sure lots of places are willing to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax
His parents already cover his needs I'm sure they'd be thrilled to help stop that be it a ride or even first months rent.

• Locked thread