Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Honestly the main reason I use synthetic is longer change intervals so I don't have to do it as much :)

It is worth it though, Mine has had synthetic it's whole life and it looks brand new through the oil filler. I bet if I sent a sample to blackstone they'd tell me I could go even further between changes. I've been meaning to do that but never get around to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alphius
Nov 5, 2009

Kremling posted:

Pretty sure I saw 14"s land boat cruising around Everett, Evergreen way last Monday.
Where were you on the morning of monday the 18th?

I work in Everett and have seen a privately owned SPD blue Crown Vic around Evergreen Way several times as well. :tinfoil:
Every time I see it I think of this thread. :smug:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Wasabi the J posted:

H3 in Reno winter.

I thought I was going to die/kill someone.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEIIIT it was just cold this year.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

InterceptorV8 posted:

SHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEIIIT it was just cold this year.

I'm in Afghanistan currently, this was like in 09-10. I couldn't see anything on a good day, add iced windows and freak snowstorms.

On a related note, every time my unit comes up to Reno to train with those guys in winter, it seems that Reno always has a snowstorm. We've kinda become harbingers of snow.

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

Also, what's the general consensus on fully synthetic oil? There's a few regulars at the shop who run full synth in their mustangs, and I've never had a car new enough to bother looking into it.

I don't know if full synthetic is really worth the extra cost. I run the Motorcraft brand synthetic blend in my 5.4 truck and change the oil every 5k. I also run the Motorcraft brand filters, they're like 3 bucks and have the right kind of anti-drainback valve, which keeps the valvetrain from clattering on startup.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

leica posted:

Yeah I think I'm gonna change my plugs and while I'm at it test every coil and I'll post the results. People on CV.net claim it's how the mpg's slowly get worse over time without you really noticing, the coils just get weaker and less efficient and sometimes never actually die, just barely putting along enough not to throw a CEL. I hate gradual issues like that because it's impossible to tell you even have a problem, even more so because the oem COPs are loving expensive to just replace for the hell of it.

The MSD COPs seem to be getting great reviews though, and are cheaper than oem and an aftermarket name I would trust with making coils anyway. Never heard anything bad about anything MSD makes.

Visteon's are virtually identical to motorcraft for a fraction of the cost.

Visteon is the European wing of motorcraft.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 20, 2013

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Wasabi the J posted:

On a related note, every time my unit comes up to Reno to train with those guys in winter, it seems that Reno always has a snowstorm. We've kinda become harbingers of snow.

So you were training in '88, '92, '01, '05, and '09? Stay away, dammit!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Farking Bastage posted:

Visteon's are virtually identical to motorcraft for a fraction of the cost.

Visteon is the European wing of motorcraft.

Where can you get them?

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Visteon...4bc413f&vxp=mtr

200 bucks for the whole set and they are identical to OEM. I put the same brand in my lincoln LS V8 and they have been rock solid for a quarter of the price.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Thanks for the info, I'm surprised I haven't heard about these on CV.net.

14 inch, maybe you should start putting info like that in the OP since it's a megathread now.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

More often than not, if you look at the stamps on the parts of your Ford V8, you will find the Visteon brand on something. GM's, CV's, Towncars, Continentals, LS'es, all the same poo poo.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

leica posted:

Thanks for the info, I'm surprised I haven't heard about these on CV.net.

14 inch, maybe you should start putting info like that in the OP since it's a megathread now.

I've been having serious connectivity issues with my laptop but was just thinking about that yesterday actually. Soon as I can get off my phone and get this piece of poo poo online again I was going to. Also what are the best resource links/online parts places?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tousley Ford is the best for dealer parts, I have it linked earlier in the thread with my steering shaft info. Other than that, Rockauto for everything else pretty much.

Also link ADTR for aftermarket performance parts, Arnott for air suspension replacement parts and CV.net.

I'm going to be replacing my air suspension here pretty soon so I'll make sure to document that the best I can.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

I'll be ohming out mine too, I just did an Olympia run and netted 20mpg round trip freeway. I mean I know its not a civic but I've read people getting mid 20s up to a high of 28 so figured it'd be something to look into.

What rear end do you have? I had the highway cruiser 2.73:1 in mine and my best was 26 MPG while on cruise control at about 65 pretty much drafting my parents' RV across a few flat midwestern states. My average in normal conditions was around 18, maybe up to 22 if I had a lot of highway time. I don't think those gears were available in later P71s and the whales had slightly worse aerodynamics so 20 doesn't sound terrible.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The '97 I owned would get close to 30 hwy with 2.73 gears. Last year of the aero body style, I loved that car.

My '02 has 3.27 gears and doesn't do near as well per gallon (low 20's), the lovely aerodynamics doesn't help either I'm sure. It is noticeably a lot quicker off the line though, not sure I'd want to trade that off since we do mostly city driving and that comes in handy. The taller gears only help on the interstate, and I imagine the gains for Whales isn't that great.

For whales this is the door sticker axle code chart:

quote:

The axle ratios are:

l C8 — 2.73 conventional (non-locker)

l 58 — 2.73 conventional (non-locker)

l AZ — 3.08 conventional (non-locker)

l R2 — 3.55 conventional (non-locker)

l Z5 — 3.27 conventional (non-locker)

l X5 — 3.27 locker

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

leica posted:

The taller gears only help on the interstate, and I imagine the gains for Whales isn't that great.

Is 'whale' the new body style? Is 3.27 what went into the P71s, or was there an even shorter ratio?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah "whale" is the latest body style and "aero" is the generation before it.

AFAIK, all P71's got the short gears as well as the Sport. 3.27's are the shortest stock gears, but lots of people run 3.73's.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Just double checked my door sticker and I've got the Z5 3.27 non locker rear end. Also I just noticed the P71 in the VIN :3:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
That took long enough :buddy:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
I'm freaking out, mannnn.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

LOL.

What the gently caress did you do this time?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

InterceptorV8 posted:

LOL.

What the gently caress did you do this time?

Looks like he's in a driveway so maybe nothing?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Cruisin' while awesome :hellyeah:

Also a verbal warning about tint limits, I'm like one degree below normal. They were checking the car out already when I was at the pawn shop and decided to light me up on leaving.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Washington State Patrol posted:

The maximum level of sunscreening material to be applied to any window, except the windshield, shall have a total reflectance of 35% or less, and a light transmittance of 24% or more. RCW 46.37.430

:doh:

Usually tint shops will tell you if you're going too dark, won't they? Every one I've been to did, anyway.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 22, 2013

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Oh hey, my state is getting all kinds of snow right now, probably a bad idea to be driving a RWD barge, right?

Wrong :allears:

I love how planted it is unless I kick the pedal and make it slide.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

T1g4h posted:

Oh hey, my state is getting all kinds of snow right now, probably a bad idea to be driving a RWD barge, right?

That car is badass. I'm kind of kicking myself in the rear end for getting a new 4 cylinder car and not a used CV. There's so many around here in the Detroit area.

I like the wheels. Please tell me you have a nice burbly exhaust on it.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV6x23uHnYs
Yeah, I replaced the stock mufflers with a pair of Flowtech Red Hots. Cheap little glasspacks but they make a wonderful crackling sound when you really get on it. I maaay end up replacing them with Flowmaster Super 44's eventually, not sure yet though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tested my new foam gun on the Vic, it's fuckin' awesome. Gonna use it on the house too :v:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

leica posted:

Tested my new foam gun on the Vic, it's fuckin' awesome. Gonna use it on the house too :v:

I really really like those rims.

T1g4h posted:

Wrong :allears:

I love how planted it is unless I kick the pedal and make it slide.

And I love the Mustang rims (or are they look alike?). Both of these cars look great!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

some texas redneck posted:

:doh:

Usually tint shops will tell you if you're going too dark, won't they? Every one I've been to did, anyway.

There may have been something mentioned at the time :v: but seriously, the difference on the wall looked a lot more blatent. The 25% looked really light and the 20 looked dark but not too dark, so I went with the 20 until I saw it on the car and realised it was pretty dark.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Eh, you're most likely white, so once they realized that, they chose not to suddenly "detect the odor of marijuana" and search your poo poo for 4 hours so your door panels are still intact :D

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

leica posted:

Is that an '02 Sport?

I'm pretty sure I saw a 2006 Sport(?) for sale once. Complete with a factory tach and console shift.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah it's an '02 Sport, no tach but it has bucket seats and console with a console shifter.

What did it for me most was the wheels which are Sport only, and when Ford refreshed the Panther front ends in '03 the wheels changed from going inward to outward almost like FWD wheels. I've seen an 03+ with the earlier wheels and the offset looked odd and way off, so apparently they had to change the wheel offset to compensate for the new front end. Too bad because the early wheels look a lot better.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I just got a proper wheel for mine, I can attest to the offsets being wrong. It visually looks off and has been bugging me.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

BrokenKnucklez posted:

And I love the Mustang rims (or are they look alike?). Both of these cars look great!

Bullitt knockoffs, haha. They're 17x9, +30 offset all the way around. I want to replace them with some proper offset ones that are wider and fit better since these require hefty spacers, but they were $200 for all 4 so I can't complain too much :v:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

T1g4h posted:

Bullitt knockoffs, haha. They're 17x9, +30 offset all the way around. I want to replace them with some proper offset ones that are wider and fit better since these require hefty spacers, but they were $200 for all 4 so I can't complain too much :v:

:aaa: 17x9 and you're running a large spacer? Just how much tire can you get under these cars? Enough tire will make just about anything handle well.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I think I am rocking 245/45/17 on all 4 wheels, I THINK. I'd go check but it's covered in half a foot of snow outside right now :v:

But yeah. I had to have 1.25" spacers up front because the back of the rim was grinding the balljoints. And then I've got 1.5" in the rear to make it look right and keep the rim away from the suspension and wheelwell.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

T1g4h posted:

I was never a fan of the Bullitt wheels on Mustangs, but they look seriously sharp on a CV.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

The Midniter posted:

I was never a fan of the Bullitt wheels on Mustangs, but they look seriously sharp on a CV.

I was thinking the exact same thing... But the crown vic still retains the old "Im a bad rear end 4 door sedan, dont gently caress with me look".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Damnit this thread makes me want a Panther.

T1g4h posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV6x23uHnYs
Yeah, I replaced the stock mufflers with a pair of Flowtech Red Hots. Cheap little glasspacks but they make a wonderful crackling sound when you really get on it. I maaay end up replacing them with Flowmaster Super 44's eventually, not sure yet though.

Especially this video.