Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Dandy Shrew posted:

So, well into week 40 and this baby does not want to come out. I don't know. Guess I'm super comfortable to live in or something. I go in Friday to talk about induction but I was really hoping it wouldn't come to that. Are all first babies this stubborn?! Little dude is just cozy as can be.

Do one of those XBox/Wii dance games. That sounds dumb, but I did it and I dilated two more centimeters that night. It really progresses things along. I just danced that baby out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Schweig und tanze posted:

Honestly I would buy a car seat and plan on a zip car rental to get home. 1., many hospitals won't let you leave without a car seat; 2. Dealing with public transport after having just given birth sounds pretty hellish, not to mention I'd be wary of having an unvaccinated newborn on the subway (judging by the NYC subway, in any case). You can get a decent car seat without spending a ton of money, and it is extremely helpful to have one and know how to install and use it. Holding your baby in the back seat of a cab is a terrible, completely unsafe idea and illegal in any case.

I -THOUGHT- so, but hey, I don't have a kid and I don't know!

Thanks guys, I just couldn't help putting myself in that situation and wondering what I would do! Now I know it's a Thing that some cabs come with car seats. Who'd a thunk?

Do they make strollers that are not absolutely gigantic that have a detachable seat that works as a car seat? Because that would be cool.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

EVG posted:

Do they make strollers that are not absolutely gigantic that have a detachable seat that works as a car seat? Because that would be cool.

Yep :) We'll get one of those at first, since our kid'll be born in the middle of the summer, and I don't want to lug one of those massive Scandinavian winter-compatible strollers around untill I absolutely have to.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

EVG posted:

I -THOUGHT- so, but hey, I don't have a kid and I don't know!

Thanks guys, I just couldn't help putting myself in that situation and wondering what I would do! Now I know it's a Thing that some cabs come with car seats. Who'd a thunk?

It may not actually be A Thing in Chicago, Rectal Cushion lives in Norway. But yeah, have an infant bucket carseat, learn to install it with the seatbelt installation.

As for the stroller question, yes they do. You buy the carseat, then you get just a base for the carseat. http://www.toysrus.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=12574022

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
EVG, go to Amazon and buy the latest edition of Baby Bargains. You can get it as an ebook too. I promise you, it will answer almost every question about what to buy and it gives price ranges city vs suburbs recommendations and everything.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
So, I was worried about gestational diabetes, being that I've got the regular kind on both side of the family. Nope, no problem there. What I am is vitamin D deficient. Despite my prenatal multi-vitamin that tears up my stomach something wicked.

Anyone else have to deal with this? I used to live in Scotland, but I've been out a year and get some sun now. And, as I said, I've been taking the multi-vitamin. I eat plenty of eggs, but fish is a bit tricky here- especially things like tuna (which they're always wanting you to avoid eating a lot of).

I have an OBGYN appointment tomorrow, but I'm a little freaked that it's a full on deficiency rather than an insufficiency.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Molly Bloom posted:

So, I was worried about gestational diabetes, being that I've got the regular kind on both side of the family. Nope, no problem there. What I am is vitamin D deficient. Despite my prenatal multi-vitamin that tears up my stomach something wicked.

Cod liver oil :black101:

car dance
May 12, 2010

Ben is actually an escaped polar bear, posing as a human.

Unlikely because Polar Bears do not know how to speak.
Also it does not make any sense.

EVG posted:

Here's a question for you gals! What do you do when you don't have a car? I live in Chicago and am happily car-free, relying on our pretty drat great public transit system. When I had to have a minor surgery (or run any errands, or whatever) we simply get a cab or rent a zipcar (by the hour car rental).

This is completely theoretical, but what if I had a baby, and needed to get home from the hospital after giving birth? Would you take brand-new-baby on the train/bus? Hold it in the backseat of the cab (this sounds like it would be dangerous). Or ??

This would be assuming that you don't have, or plan, on buying a car. I guess maybe you'd buy a carseat just for these rare occasions? Seems like an unecessary expense, because I would certainly plan on wearing my babe and feel fine about taking it on public transit with me...

I live in Chicago and do not own a car. The hospital I went to still wouldn't let me leave without a car seat. What we ended up doing was buying a carseat and borrowing my mom's car to take her home in it. We've used it a handful of times since then but 95% of the time are on the train and babywear.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 21, 2017

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Chickalicious posted:

Your baby is 3 months old. Sleep training at that age (or any age if it involves leaving the child to cry, in my opinion) is silly. He should still be eating at night, and realistically it's NORMAL for most kids to wake during the night well into the 1st year and beyond.

Yeah, we do realize that we're jumping the gun a bit with timing. I've got a lot more time on my hands this week than I expect to have again before...a year and a half from now(?), so we figured we'd at least give it a shot. Working on our side is also the fact that while he's only 3 months old (and a few weeks late coming out), Dominic has already hulked out to 15 pounds. We've talked this plan over with our pediatrician who's given us some advice to modify the sleepeasy strategy to a much slower wean. We're not looking to eliminate night feedings, just consolidate them a bit and make managing the night easier on both of us.

Anyhow, while we've been able to pre-empt most of his wakings from 8-3ish with dream feedings, he's been wide awake around 4ish. This happens to be just before one of our scheduled feedings, which really messes with trying to avoid feeding him to sleep. This seems to be the main obstacle at the moment. Even so, we do feel like we have had some success with things so far, and if nothing else this may make things easier when we try to go the whole night without feedings.

Chandrika
Aug 23, 2007
In all of Canada, and some states in the United States, it's perfectly legal to take a child in a taxi without a car seat. NOT that it's a good idea, or even safe, but it's not illegal. Once, my two-year-old daughter and I were stranded in an airport late at night, and our only transportation option was a taxi. We had to take it, but I was worried the whole time.

My daughter was born at home, but if she weren't, we would have taken a bus home. I did a quick check and it looks like hospitals can't legally prevent you leaving, no matter your method of transportation. But, if you fight, or leave anyways, be prepared to have CPS called on you.

Edit: I fully support well-fitting and certified car seat use!!

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Chandrika posted:

hospitals can't legally prevent you leaving, no matter your method of transportation. But, if you fight, or leave anyways, be prepared to have CPS called on you.

Calling cps on someone for traveling by bus, sounds perfectly reasonable and not at all completely loving stupid :downs:

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Have fun with the 4, 6, and 9-month sleep regressions.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 21, 2017

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Lullabee posted:

Though some could argue taking a few day old baby on massive public transport is not exactly safe. Think of all the different types of people who ride the bus. Now, imagine being in close quarters to them with a baby who's immune system isn't perfected yet. Did you know, for most pediatricians, a fever in a baby less than a month old is an automatic hospital stay?

I'm not saying riding the bus is bad, I just personally wouldn't want my kid exposed to that many germs in such a small space. If it were me, I'd take a taxi.

Hospitals are full of people too. A lot of people have been sitting in that taxi so there are germs there too. Calling CPS on someone for taking the bus is completely absurd.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 22, 2017

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Ratatozsk posted:

Yeah, we do realize that we're jumping the gun a bit with timing. I've got a lot more time on my hands this week than I expect to have again before...a year and a half from now(?), so we figured we'd at least give it a shot. Working on our side is also the fact that while he's only 3 months old (and a few weeks late coming out), Dominic has already hulked out to 15 pounds. We've talked this plan over with our pediatrician who's given us some advice to modify the sleepeasy strategy to a much slower wean. We're not looking to eliminate night feedings, just consolidate them a bit and make managing the night easier on both of us.

Anyhow, while we've been able to pre-empt most of his wakings from 8-3ish with dream feedings, he's been wide awake around 4ish. This happens to be just before one of our scheduled feedings, which really messes with trying to avoid feeding him to sleep. This seems to be the main obstacle at the moment. Even so, we do feel like we have had some success with things so far, and if nothing else this may make things easier when we try to go the whole night without feedings.

In case you aren't aware, night wakings are actually physiologically important for infants for SIDS prevention purposes and sleep training is completely inappropriate before four months of age. Imposing feeding and sleep schedules before that time period is potentially dangerous and should be avoided. Infants do not develop "adult-like" sleep cycles until after four months of age (hence the four month sleep regression). Most common sleep training methods advise waiting until at least six months. Additionally, if your wife is breastfeeding, ceasing night feedings so early will most likely negatively impact her supply.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

I seriously just need to give up the idea that anything will go normal or pleasant during my entire pregnancy :cry:

I failed my first glucose test, and go in for the three hour test tomorrow. What are the chances the three hour one will turn out okay after having failed the 1 hour non-fasting test?

On a good note..I'll be 27 weeks tomorrow. Last trimester is here! At least the cerclage seems to be working :)

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Grey: You remind me of my girlfriend, she's about 24 weeks and it's been one thing after another with her, like every possible thing that can go wrong has gone wrong for her. Nothing major, thankfully, but if there's a pregnancy symptom, she's had it, and to top it off her father in law was in the hospital for about 3 weeks and died, her inlaws were completely unable to plan anything and she had to plan the wake/funeral while working full time as a teacher and 24/7 morning sickness. She's currently on limited bedrest and has a catheter until after delivery and her husband is away for work. Hang in there! I always feel like I'm cursing myself but I wish I could share my uneventful and thus far completely run of the mill pregnancy with women like you. Other than being wicked uncomfortable because of the sudden 30 lb weight gain, I've never felt better. (Oh, also, wicked acid reflux which just started but I can probably help that with diet changes.)

From what I've read, it's very very common to "fail" the first test and be fine on the 3 hr. Anecdote is not data, but of all the women I know who failed the 1 hr went on to fail the 3 hr and had GD, out of about 10 people I can think of offhand.

I have a chronic migraine/headache disease which would've made the 3 hr a nightmare (and actually, pregnancy has been the best thing for the chronic migraines, for real... though I've had a headache for the past 7 months, heh), so I'm very glad I didn't have to decide whether or not to a) take the test and be incapacitated for a week or so or b) treat it like I had GD and keep track of my blood sugar anyway.

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
Also, doublepost but this didn't really fit in with the theme of my last post... I just want to say a huge thank you to everyone who participates in and maintains this thread. It's just one thread, but it's the only pregnancy related resource I've seen that doesn't make me want to tear my hair out. I feel a bit snobbish or elitist for rolling my eyes over it, but the level of "sparkly baby dust" and ridiculous acronyms and sanctimoniousness on places like Babycenter, etc. is so offputting. Books have been hit or miss too, as even though they try to be inclusive, most are completely written to a "you and your husband preparing for this child you've planned for years" audience rather than the "surprise, you're pregnant and the father is totally not in the picture!" audience of me, and I can't relate at all. Same goes for my pregnant friends/family members. So it's good to have this space that I feel is relatively free of judgement, and a great and diverse resource across the board.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Greycious posted:

I failed my first glucose test, and go in for the three hour test tomorrow. What are the chances the three hour one will turn out okay after having failed the 1 hour non-fasting test?

Pretty good actually. I want to say something like 70%? It depends a bit on the cutoff they used for the 1 hour.

Congrats on making it to 27 weeks!

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Ceridwen posted:

Pretty good actually. I want to say something like 70%? It depends a bit on the cutoff they used for the 1 hour.

Congrats on making it to 27 weeks!

Well I guess I shouldn't get too down about it yet then. My 1 hour results were 152? (150 something). The nurse I spoke with said 140 is the max 'normal' range.

sudont posted:

Also, doublepost but this didn't really fit in with the theme of my last post... I just want to say a huge thank you to everyone who participates in and maintains this thread.

Seriously this thread has been so awesome for me as well. I never even bothered looking for other pregnancy forums since I know people here don't say much unless they know what they are talking about and also aren't afraid to call someone out if they are full of poo poo or are doing something potentially risky.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!

sudont posted:

Also, doublepost but this didn't really fit in with the theme of my last post... I just want to say a huge thank you to everyone who participates in and maintains this thread. It's just one thread, but it's the only pregnancy related resource I've seen that doesn't make me want to tear my hair out. I feel a bit snobbish or elitist for rolling my eyes over it, but the level of "sparkly baby dust" and ridiculous acronyms and sanctimoniousness on places like Babycenter, etc. is so offputting. Books have been hit or miss too, as even though they try to be inclusive, most are completely written to a "you and your husband preparing for this child you've planned for years" audience rather than the "surprise, you're pregnant and the father is totally not in the picture!" audience of me, and I can't relate at all. Same goes for my pregnant friends/family members. So it's good to have this space that I feel is relatively free of judgement, and a great and diverse resource across the board.

This, a thousand times. I can't stand the cutesy acronyms and.. I don't know what you'd call it, but my sister will send me IMs that are like *throws labor dust at you* and it INFURIATES me. Emote Actions? I've no patience for it, at any rate.
I've found this thread and invaluable resource and I really, really appreciate everyones contributions. Especially with my plethora of stupid questions and concerns :)

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
Haha, yeah, "emote actions" is a good way to put it, I know exactly what you mean. When I read pregnancy forums, I picture half the posters as heavyset women with 80's perms, sweatshirts with puffy glitter paint kittens with a cross on a gold chain. I made the mistake of commenting once that I had an occasional (meaning, maybe 2-3 half-glasses in a month, tops) glass of wine, which my doctors have been more than okay with. I'm pretty sure CPS will be waiting for me at the hospital when I give birth and I've guaranteed my son will have Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Back with more reflux baby action :(

So, I already posted about her issues - constantly in pain, spitting up, vomiting, etc - but things have not really gotten better. I still can't see any difference with the Zantac she's on (maximum dose). I've also completely (I think) cut out all dairy and soy from my diet.

We had a few days last week when she acted like a normal baby for most of the time: she cried, but it was 'I'm a hungry baby' crying instead of 'I'm in pain' crying. It was pretty awesome. But she's gone right back to being in pain. The only difference I can think of is that we were out of peanut butter for a few days, so I didn't eat any. So I'm going to cut out peanuts and caffeine (why not?) to see if that makes any difference at all.

If none of that works, then I'll try the hypoallergenic formula again. We probably didn't give it enough time to make a difference last time, but she and I were both so miserable. We did find out I probably don't have an oversupply issue: she was still fussy and vomiting on two carefully controlled ounces of formula.

I'll give up breastfeeding if I have to :( I just want my baby to feel better. I have no idea if it's a food intolerance, but I'll try anything at this point.

Also, wanted to say thanks for this thread: I read all the time even if I never contribute.

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012

Greycious posted:

I failed the first test and passed the second. I probably shouldn't have eaten a snack right before the first test.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

newts posted:

So, I already posted about her issues - constantly in pain, spitting up, vomiting, etc - but things have not really gotten better. I still can't see any difference with the Zantac she's on (maximum dose). I've also completely (I think) cut out all dairy and soy from my diet.

Zantac didn't do much for my son, but Prevacid was a godsend. His pediatrician said she would always prescribe Prevacid if the insurance companies didn't want to see that they'd tried the cheaper med first.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

newts posted:

We had a few days last week when she acted like a normal baby for most of the time: she cried, but it was 'I'm a hungry baby' crying instead of 'I'm in pain' crying. It was pretty awesome. But she's gone right back to being in pain. The only difference I can think of is that we were out of peanut butter for a few days, so I didn't eat any. So I'm going to cut out peanuts and caffeine (why not?) to see if that makes any difference at all.

If none of that works, then I'll try the hypoallergenic formula again. We probably didn't give it enough time to make a difference last time, but she and I were both so miserable. We did find out I probably don't have an oversupply issue: she was still fussy and vomiting on two carefully controlled ounces of formula.

I'll give up breastfeeding if I have to :( I just want my baby to feel better. I have no idea if it's a food intolerance, but I'll try anything at this point.

Different reflux meds work for different people. Ask the doctor to try something different. I want to say we went through 5 of them with my son? (turned out he didn't have reflux at all - he had hypercalcemia as a result of the Williams Syndrome we also didn't know he had at the time). Has she had an upper GI to check that she is actually experiencing reflux? You might want to ask for that as well - all the Zantac and Prevacid in the world isn't going to help if it's a dietary sensitivity.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

sudont posted:

Completely agree. Without this thread and the people involved, I would have went insane during my wife's pregnancy. It's so hard to find people who are wiling to talk about pregnancy without the touchy-feely crap that overtakes all of the websites around the internet.

We are now two weeks into being parents and I owe a lot of my sanity to this thread.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

sudont posted:

I made the mistake of commenting once that I had an occasional (meaning, maybe 2-3 half-glasses in a month, tops) glass of wine, which my doctors have been more than okay with. I'm pretty sure CPS will be waiting for me at the hospital when I give birth and I've guaranteed my son will have Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.

The problem with moderate drinking during pregnancy, which many women think is OK because they drank an occasional glass of wine and had perfectly healthy babies, is that, as the most recent research shows, it's a bit of a genetic potshot. The rate in which the alcohol metabolises out of the system varies from baby to baby, just as it does for people in general, so many women CAN drink a bit without it having any particular effect on the baby, whereas if you're unlucky, you'll have one of those babies who will be harmed (not FAS-level harmed, of course, they'll just become marginally dumber, apparently :v:) just from those occasional glasses.

But it's worth keeping in mind that the baby shares your BAC when you drink while pregnant, and that no unborn baby can metabolise alcohol particularly well.

I hope I don't come across all :byodame: now, I love this thread for being non-insane as well. I've just heard so many women go: "Well, I drank a bit and had perfectly healthy babies, so don't believe the mean people trying to scare you from enjoying a small glass of wine!", when it's actually a bit more complicated than that.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
I woke up with a complete devil of a cold yesterday, went in to the doc for routine baby check today, and while everything is going pretty well she said that if I don't have this little dude on my own by next friday, she'd like to induce me just because of my bp issues. I'm a bit scared but also relieved, though I do really hope he decides to come out before then with no fuss.

Still. This cold is lovely. Doctor didn't seem too concerned, though.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Acrolos posted:

Completely agree. Without this thread and the people involved, I would have went insane during my wife's pregnancy. It's so hard to find people who are wiling to talk about pregnancy without the touchy-feely crap that overtakes all of the websites around the internet.

We are now two weeks into being parents and I owe a lot of my sanity to this thread.

I have come to the harrowing conclusion that I am NOT the Goddess Earth Mother hippie type who embraces all things maternal/pregnancy related like the rest of the internet. I am the complete opposite of BabyCenter and those kinds of forums.

I hear you on the two weeks in and needing something to cling onto though..we are closing in on week three, and he slept awful last night. :( It really is an adjustment.

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm going to call my OB's office, but it's Saturday and I'll have to leave a message for the on call doctor (which is weird because they are supposed to have Saturday hours between September and April) so I figured I'd check in here too.

I'm just over 28 weeks and woke up at 5:30 am with cramps that feel exactly like menstrual cramps. Not severe, but I'd say mild to moderate--annoying enough that were I not pregnant I'd take ibuprofen and use the heating pad. No increase in discharge, spotting, back pain, fever, or muscle tightening like it's a contraction, etc. It doesn't seem like round ligament pain or "I stretched a muscle" pain, it feels exactly like menstrual cramps. Drinking water and lying on my left side didn't seem to make a difference. I've not noticed any Braxton Hicks, but from what I read they seem like they'd be more contraction-like, with muscle tensing/tightening and would ebb and flow. These cramps aren't constant, they do come and go, but when they come, they're there for a while, not like a "30 second cramp, 10 minutes later, another 30 second cramp". Exactly like menstrual cramps.

I'm not panicking or anything, I just figured I'd ask for some input. I had cramping through most of the first trimester that was routine/normal, and one spotting episode that was also nothing. I'm just unsure if it's more concerning during the third trimester, I guess, and with it being Saturday (why do these things always happen nights/weekends?!) I would love to avoid the 8 hr ER wait!

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Definitely call the doctor but I felt a lot of menstrual-type cramping toward the end. It's likely nothing but still good to check in with the doctor just in case.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
I agree with calling your doctor. Also, it may be different wherever you are, but generally at 28 weeks, you would go to L&D not the ER with a concern, so if you don't get a call back and are still worried, you probably won't have to go to the ER.

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
Got a call back really quickly and the midwife on call is the one I saw 2 weeks ago and she said "better safe than sorry" and wants me to be seen. Office is closed of course, grr. I'm very lucky in that we have a dedicated OB hospital here, so I'm going to the ER/triage unit there and they'll check me out. Last time I was there was an 8 hr wait and cost me $1200 which I haven't paid (I was uninsured, but I have insurance now) but she said there's no one in the waiting room right now, at least! I'm sure it's nothing but I agree, better safe than sorry. Will keep you posted!

Edit: Home, and everything is fine. Hooked me up to a fetal heart monitor, did a pelvic exam, urine test, etc. etc. and it looks like it's just cramping from contractions, but my cervix is still totally closed and long enough. I'm apparently having around 1 every 20 minutes or so, which is odd because it's a constant, very low level cramping that doesn't come and go, nothing like what I'd think of as a "contraction", so I have no idea how to tell if they get "more frequent" or more than 1 every 10 min for more than an hour! I see the midwife on 4/3 anyway, so that's good.

sudont fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 23, 2013

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008
I think I have post partum depression. :(

I don't feel like a mom..it doesn't feel real. I get that I gave birth, but it seems like this stranger just showed up that I have to take care of now. I don't even like holding my baby, and it makes me feel like scum. I just want him in his crib, sleeping and being quiet. I know it isn't his fault..he is just a baby, but I feel incredibly alone right now.

I think I need help.

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
Hastings, I'm so sorry you're dealing with this! I obviously don't have firsthand experience (yet) but that sounds textbook to me. Please, please don't be afraid to talk to your doctor, they won't think you're a terrible mom/person and can get you some help. It doesn't help to hear I'm sure but you're not alone in going through this, and I don't know a single woman who had it that doesn't get through it and adore their child and feel like a mom. Do you have someone you can talk to right now, like a partner or a parent/close friend?

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Hastings posted:

I think I have post partum depression. :(

You're aware of your feelings, and you know that you need help dealing with them. That's really, really good, and a step towards getting better in itself.
Talk to your health care provider.
You're not scum for feeling this way, quite the opposite,
you're doing a great job and being a great mother by recognizing that something is wrong and taking steps to deal with it.

What you're going through sounds absolutely horrible, and I really, really feel for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

sudont posted:

Hastings, I'm so sorry you're dealing with this! I obviously don't have firsthand experience (yet) but that sounds textbook to me. Please, please don't be afraid to talk to your doctor, they won't think you're a terrible mom/person and can get you some help. It doesn't help to hear I'm sure but you're not alone in going through this, and I don't know a single woman who had it that doesn't get through it and adore their child and feel like a mom. Do you have someone you can talk to right now, like a partner or a parent/close friend?

I've talked to my husband, mother and a close friend about it. They all seem to think this stereotypical new motherhood at almost three weeks in. In my husbands words: "I feel the same way, its just that they don't give a fancy name to new dads". It just feels like I'll never escape the newborn phase. I feel better almost immediately when I get some sleep, and I know the main issue is breastfeeding. I HATE IT and Rocky is now hating the bottle for whatever reason. I feel like I'm not a person..just a human cow with no dignity or personality. I just sit there and feed and milk..eyes staring into space. My husband and mom totally think this is normal for moms to be jarred by reality like this, and my friend thinks I'm normal but could be on my way to depression..but I don't know. Is it normal to feel like this only a little over two weeks in?

Hastings fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 24, 2013