Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

West SAAB Story posted:

SaabUSAParts generally offers OEM by default; there may have been a few revision changes, but I'm not too hip on the SS to know offhand. There's likely Skandix, URO, and Scan Tech parts available ATM. My guess is that you have a later revision, or a Scan Tech part. Contact Mike Shaw @ SUP to see whats up.

E: Seeing Dee-Dee's picture still makes my heart sink. :cry:

Yeah that's rough, but It makes me feel good about my purchase to keep my kids safe.

Luckily I've already been in contact with Mike though email since my last post, he's been pretty helpful so far. He's matched up my vin and it is the correct part. I'll snap some photos in the next hour to send to him and for you guys as well to get a good side by side. I could probably rig something up to get the motor to mount, but I'd rather do it the right way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Yeah that's rough, but It makes me feel good about my purchase to keep my kids safe.

After seeing the car (after seeing how 'relatively unscathed'), many friends/relatives have said they'd never give me poo poo for owning a SAAB again. I'm just thankful I took the 2000 that day.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I'll snap some photos in the next hour to send to him and for you guys as well to get a good side by side. I could probably rig something up to get the motor to mount, but I'd rather do it the right way.

This is what it looks like in EPC..

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
That looks like the OEM one vs what I actually have.

Here is the OEM:

Here is the replacement:

The replacement doesn't have mounting holes for the motor, the holes are to hold the back side of the new style, actually they don't look like they do anything except have plastic behind them and they are not threaded, nor the right size. If they even were mounting holes they don't line up, aren't spaced right, with the holes on the motor. I'll send these to Mike.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 21, 2013

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Hey Viggen, I found your next car!

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!
Gorgeous.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Hey Viggen, I found your next car!

Speaking of unicorns.. :sigh:

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Mike doesn't have the answers I need except for telling me that it is the correct part for my VIN and to go to a dealer to have it fixed. The nearest dealer is 60 miles away and it currently isn't an option.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Mike doesn't have the answers I need except for telling me to go to a dealer to have it fixed. The nearest dealer is 60 miles away and it currently isn't an option.

It looks like you have the wrong part (no poo poo). I'd hit up (forget his name) of TheSaabSite, and ask him if he has something comparable, and ship the wrong part back to SUP. I assume Mike agrees that they don't match, and he won't charge you restock. Worst case if he gets pissy, you can always threaten a CB - but that will burn that bridge forever.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

West SAAB Story posted:

It looks like you have the wrong part (no poo poo). I'd hit up (forget his name) of TheSaabSite, and ask him if he has something comparable, and ship the wrong part back to SUP. I assume Mike agrees that they don't match, and he won't charge you restock. Worst case if he gets pissy, you can always threaten a CB - but that will burn that bridge forever.

Cool, looks like the pictured item is correct on thesaabsite vs saabpartsusa. It is a shame that they are being supplied aftermarket, and we all know aftermarket likes to blanket years that were never tested. I'll ask for a refund. I was almost going to get an '06 motor because it looks completely different than my 07.

http://www.thesaabsite.com/93new/Saab-93-window-regulators.html#linkbar

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Cool, looks like the pictured item is correct on thesaabsite vs saabpartsusa.

I'd still call (1-800-774-4496) to make sure you are getting the right part. TSS has never done me wrong, but sometimes their site data is a bit late - it's essentially a one-horse operation, and sometimes he lags on updates (and updating prices, which is good when everyone else is adding a 40% surcharge to IDMs, et al).

Don't forget about V&S, and to browse around Car-Part for used parts in the future.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

West SAAB Story posted:

I'd still call (1-800-774-4496) to make sure you are getting the right part. TSS has never done me wrong, but sometimes their site data is a bit late - it's essentially a one-horse operation, and sometimes he lags on updates (and updating prices, which is good when everyone else is adding a 40% surcharge to IDMs, et al).

Don't forget about V&S, and to browse around Car-Part for used parts in the future.

I called but nobody was there. You know I made a mistake, the 03-06 listed looks like it will fit my 07, but the one listed for 06 and up looks like the same wrong part. What the hell?

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 22, 2013

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I called but nobody was there. You know I made a mistake, the 03-06 listed looks like it will fit my 07, but the one listed for 06 and up looks like the same wrong part. What the hell?

Could be exchanged after a specific build date, but I didn't see anything in EPC about it, and I don't have your VIN handy. :shrug:

Viggen fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 22, 2013

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Going back to saabparts usa, the 03-06 that specifically excludes my VIN range looks exactly like what I have in my car:
http://www.saabusaparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=1096

I'm very tempted to pulling off the other side to see if this one was replaced with an earlier motor and regulator, except for the fact that the plush fragile weather cover was in perfect condition on this side.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 22, 2013

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I'm very tempted to pulling off the other side to see if this one was replaced with an earlier motor and regulator, except for the fact that the plush fragile weather cover was in perfect condition on this side.

That's what it looks like. See if you can have someone do an IRIS report (if they replaced regulator under warranty, it'd be listed in IRIS).

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

West SAAB Story posted:

That's what it looks like. See if you can have someone do an IRIS report (if they replaced regulator under warranty, it'd be listed in IRIS).

Would that just be a call to the dealer? I don't know jack about IRIS.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Would that just be a call to the dealer? I don't know jack about IRIS.

They should still have IRIS access, yes. Any "official" dealers likely still have IRIS, even if they've given up on supporting our cars. If it was done aftermarket, and you have no records, you're kind of SOL. I wouldn't imagine many under-warranty repairs would have used an older regulator/motor combo rather than order one - unless they were severely backlogged and the tech just didn't care.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
That was interesting. They seem to employ only chicks at Beverly Hills SAAB. Nobody knew what I was talking about so I got transferred a few times. Once I got somebody who knew IRIS she didn't see anything about a window regulator, but she didn't think it would show it even if it did happen, but I don't know whats the truth on that.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Aeka 2.0 posted:

That was interesting. They seem to employ only chicks at Beverly Hills SAAB. Nobody knew what I was talking about so I got transferred a few times. Once I got somebody who knew IRIS she didn't see anything about a window regulator, but she didn't think it would show it even if it did happen, but I don't know whats the truth on that.

If it was done under warranty, it'd be listed. My 2008 has the A pillar covers listed for warranty replacement (they were hard plastic, GM changed them out with fuzz-covered plastic). Anything done under warranty is listed in IRIS. It sounds like someone may have done that out of warranty, but your car hasn't been out of warranty that long. Does the door sit properly? Wondering if it was in an accident, now.

I've been texting someone with a 2002 9-3 with a bit-too-high of an asking price for the last two days. They won't give me the VIN, and want to meet in person. Sorry, person, I am not going to waste hours of my life to look at a car if I can tell it's going to be garbage. :argh:

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
People alway trip on VIN numbers. My car looks straight. I've been around enough body work to spot stuff out. I can always point out a re spray as well. Im confident that it has not been struck. If a 3rd party was in that door panel I would have noticed and a replacement door would have been noticible as well.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

West SAAB Story posted:

Speaking of unicorns.. :sigh:

Yeah, I pulled the pictures from an auction here in Sweden set to finish the 3rd of April. The title of the auction is "SAAB Automobile AB bankruptcy estate enthusiast car auction".

Complete list of cars to be sold is here. 31 9-4Xs, 37 9-5NG sedans, and I think 6 9-5NG SportCombis.

Current bids include 23k USD for one of the completely unregisterable SportCombis (obj no 554318)...

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Sure - kick a guy when he's already down..

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't dream of it. That people actually bid that much for cars that are completely useless as cars (but perfect as "collector items" or something) gives me hope that alot of them will survive for the world to see. I think.

Sabmo
May 7, 2009

What could have been. This probably would have been on sale within a year if GM weren't dicks about it.

I can't decided how much I like it yet.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Sabmo posted:

I can't decided how much I like it yet.

I still want this, even if it was just a fan render. It was based on the Kappa platform, same as the Solstice and Sky.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I would have bought the crap out of an updated Sonett

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

West SAAB Story posted:

I still want this, even if it was just a fan render. It was based on the Kappa platform, same as the Solstice and Sky.

:shlick:

Same. Even allowing for the inevitable compromises that would come with putting something like that into production, it'd still be pretty drat nice.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I was talking to a buddy about my '06 regulator in my '07 and he told me his Chevy truck has an '07 hood on his '06 truck and the VIN number matches.
Sounds like it might be common practice to use leftover or other parts if the car is at the beginning or end of a run. Any truth to this? And extra so since they are both GM in a sense.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Sounds like it might be common practice to use leftover or other parts if the car is at the beginning or end of a run. Any truth to this? And extra so since they are both GM in a sense.

When parts are shared, you usually have a VIN cutoff for old/new parts, but you said your VIN was not applicable, and I saw nothing regarding it in EPC - so either it's a one-off or an undocumented repair/exchange.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I'm getting uneven tire wear on my front tires, I've recently replaced shocks and springs all around and took it to our local (bonafide!!!) cool guys alignment shop. Anyway, I need to get shims to adjust rear camber a bit, which are already on order. However, the computer shows that a tool is needed that they don't have to finish the job correctly for toe-in (tool 89 96 795) which I can't find anywhere. First, is the tool really necessary? Second, how to adjust toe-in on these since there doesn't seem to be any mention of how to do it without the tool.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

keykey posted:

I'm getting uneven tire wear on my front tires, I've recently replaced shocks and springs all around and took it to our local (bonafide!!!) cool guys alignment shop. Anyway, I need to get shims to adjust rear camber a bit, which are already on order. However, the computer shows that a tool is needed that they don't have to finish the job correctly for toe-in (tool 89 96 795) which I can't find anywhere.

I've never actually done this. :effort: I was talking to my 'over my head' indy earlier about a 2K1 95 with 45,000 original miles that I can get for a steal, but I'm a bit worried about if it has the PCV update, if it's weeping, et al. I already paid through the nose for parts when I fixed those issues on the 2K. :corsair:

He said that you can get by with a small pry bar, but didn't really go into further context beyond "It's a pain in the rear end. I tell everyone to go to Les Schwab."

Sending someone who can legally drive (and lives nearby) to get the VIN and further info on the car - I just left a business card on it with 'Nice car, interested in selling it?' scrawled over the top.

Replacing a 2K silver LPT with a 2K1 silver Aero may not be quite so painful.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Here was DeeDee, circa Q3 2009, before I put factory wheels and Euro side indicators on..

Here may lie DeeDeeTwo:

:dance:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I keep getting the urge to buy a Saab 900 classic to have a fun, manual transmission, weekends-only counterpart to my Volvo 240.

I realize that, as a person with not too much money to dump into a broken money sink/car, this is an absolutely terrible idea.

But classic 900s are just SO COOL. I think it's in my genes; my dad owned a 99 with a 5-speed (currently rusting in the yard after the water pump blew) and he and my mom owned a 1984 900 Turbo (currently rusting in the yard after the transmission blew).

I am contemplating these in my area. Are they likely to be as problematic as they have the potential to be? Do the wheels on the third one mean anything special?

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Apr 7, 2013

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!
If you end up owning a 240 and a 900 simultaneously, you'll be living a dream I've always lusted for. I hope you go for it.

That said, my humble opinion is that owning a 900 is going to be a lot like owning your 240. Strong body and drive train (though the 900 transmission requires more care) with mediocre to poor accessories. If you can safely say your 240 hasn't put you in the poor house, the 900 shouldn't either. The big thing to remember is that it has a new set of idiosyncrasies to learn specific to it, so take some time on the internet to do so.

That said, you've probably noticed the classic 900 comes in 3 flavor varieties: hard top, convertible and turbo. I have driven all 3. My opinion is that you will love the experience of the top down in the convertible, but you will hate trying to keep the top water tight. Because they are not as rigid, they're handling suffers compared to the hardtop. If it is going to be only a weekend driver, you could get the turbo. I've often gotten the naturally aspirated one, because I like to daily drive my Saabs. The reason I say that, is because with the turbo comes another set of maintenance concerns and a different learning curve.

Overall, I think any true fan of driving or Swedish cars should own a classic 900 once in their lives. I say go for it.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
http://www.wrightcars.com/used/Saab/2005-Saab-9-2X-a7b2b9f80a0a006501d44a0cbd1983ba.htm

My fiance just drove past this this morning.

Make: Saab
Model: 9-2X
Trim: Aero
Bodystyle: Hatchback
Doors: 4 door
Mileage: 84,375 miles
Engine: 2.0L H-4 cyl
Transmission: Manual

If anyone in/willing to go as far as Pittsburgh is looking for one. He was not impressed with the timing of them getting that in, since he just bought a car from that dealership, same lot, not long ago.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

atomicthumbs posted:

I am contemplating these in my area. Are they likely to be as problematic as they have the potential to be? Do the wheels on the third one mean anything special?

The third one has Aero SPG wheels, which came from a sports package, usually included some body kit pieces. I don't recognize the body kit pieces on the car, but aero parts are usually sought after due to being relatively rare. Plus they look cool.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

The third one has Aero SPG wheels, which came from a sports package, usually included some body kit pieces. I don't recognize the body kit pieces on the car, but aero parts are usually sought after due to being relatively rare. Plus they look cool.

code:
That claims to be a '92.  The last year of the Aero here in the states was 1991.
  /
:spergin:

atomicthumbs posted:

I keep getting the urge to buy a Saab 900 classic to have a fun, manual transmission, weekends-only counterpart to my Volvo 240.

As already stated - just so long as you have resources for parts, and can do the majority of the work yourself, you'll be fine. 5 speeds are beyond rare, and even rebuildable cores are not all that easy to come by, anymore. Do not settle for a 3 speed 'tragic.. they really are awful, and will be far more of an effort to exchange than getting a manual outright.

I have finally given up (for now) on the idea of another C900, because parts are difficult to find, and almost all of the cars have had at least one neglectful owner - and its showing. If you can find a first-or-second owner C900 over 20 years on, that's the exception, not the rule.

Faerunner posted:

If anyone in/willing to go as far as Pittsburgh is looking for one. He was not impressed with the timing of them getting that in, since he just bought a car from that dealership, same lot, not long ago.

You might ask Motronic next time he is about those parts..

ExcessiveForce
Mar 21, 2010
Would anyone here be interested in a Thule roof rack for a 9-3? I sold my 99 9-3 a few months ago and forgot I had this in my garage. Its the LB50 load bars, 400XT Feet, and the Saab fit kit. Only used a few times over the summer for my kayak. PM me if interested.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
My 2003 93 linear has a coolant leak which I've "fixed" by dumping water into the coolant reservoir and while my car will normally run fine and doesn't get in the dangerous "hot" zone about once a week the temperature needle will float between 50 and 75% and I start the heater on high and open all my vents and drive the last mile or so home / to the office (my commute is about 20 miles). Doing this for about two to three minutes brings the needle down and everything looks good from what I can tell inside the car.

However it's gotten to the point where I've been dumping about a quart of water in to the reservoir every day and my entire coolant system is now crystal clear water. I'm hoping flsuhing the water and returning to 100% coolant will buy me the two or three months I need to get the money together to have my mechanic swap out the hoses, temp sensor, possibly the water pump and radiator.

I poked around on thesaabsite and saabcentral on how to do a flush and I THINK I found the petcock on the lower right of the radiator, yet when I twist mine a quarter-turn counter clockwise nothing drains out. I didn't put the car on jack stands or ramps, but I thought on a level surface at least something would come out. Do I need to elevate the car to drain my system?

EDIT: I'm a bad owner and my car has been abused by my neglect. I'm trying to turn the corner and do right by my car.

Nystral fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 14, 2013

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

West SAAB Story posted:

code:
That claims to be a '92.  The last year of the Aero here in the states was 1991.
  /
:spergin:

Well I was only pointing out that those wheels are sought after. That owner probably sourced them separately from the car.

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.
So this is where the Saab owners check in? I just won this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=171027289060&autorefresh=true

I already have a daily driver, (Chevy Sonic). This will be my first "fun" car. Please tell me I did ok.