Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Chainclaw posted:

It looks like the safest place to work is a console game studio with a Metacritic average above 80.
PC's not a bad place to work either, looks like. Though I can't help but wonder if that isn't just because PC developers tend to be independent these days. The "layoffs below 80% metacritic" spike would largely be publisher-driven, hence, take them out of the picture, the numbers improve.

I wonder what would happen to the numbers if he extrapolated independent vs publisher-driven studios?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

Chainclaw posted:

San Francisco seems the safest area to work, from that data.

As far as Bay Area is concerned, that's very true all across the software industry. As a dev, you get laid off, you walk across the street to the next building and get a job there at some other big name firm (or any startup, nowadays). The downside is that your salary implicitly accounts for that, so you have to live with a very considerable paycut. I know game programmers who worked on AAA projects since 2007 and just now are breaking into the 6 figures, while many software companies in the area will pay fresh college grads more than that.

DreadCthulhu fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 21, 2013

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

In console space, independent studios still need publishers to secure contracts, and keep them long enough to ship games. Studios like Gas Powered Games and Obsidian are independent, but still had layoffs when publishing gigs fell through.

I'm also wondering if a lot of indie studios didn't even make it to that report. Small studios are shut down or just fade away all the time before they ever even ship a game, and you rarely hear about it when a studio hasn't shipped a game yet.

It would be harder to acquire the information for, but I would love to see a chart showing studio growth in the year preceding layoffs, as well as a comparison of places showing average time at the company of people who were and were not laid off, and a chart showing average number of years of industry experience of people before and after layoffs.

Layoffs by discipline would also be useful to know. Layoffs aren't going to be an even split, some places might keep more designers, some might keep more programmers. I imagine artists were hit the hardest as a discipline last year. A tear down of layoffs by artist discipline would be useful for a lot of my artist friends looking for work to know where to focus. Is non-outsourced demand for animators higher or lower than that for environment artists? Obviously UI positions are in huge demand right now across the board.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
We had a pie eating contest on pi day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMBII9ZueYs

My intern Nick is the far right, and his performance dissappointed me. He blamed it on not liking cherry pie.

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 21, 2013

djkillingspree
Apr 2, 2001
make a hole with a gun perpendicular

Chainclaw posted:

In console space, independent studios still need publishers to secure contracts, and keep them long enough to ship games. Studios like Gas Powered Games and Obsidian are independent, but still had layoffs when publishing gigs fell through.

I'm also wondering if a lot of indie studios didn't even make it to that report. Small studios are shut down or just fade away all the time before they ever even ship a game, and you rarely hear about it when a studio hasn't shipped a game yet.

It would be harder to acquire the information for, but I would love to see a chart showing studio growth in the year preceding layoffs, as well as a comparison of places showing average time at the company of people who were and were not laid off, and a chart showing average number of years of industry experience of people before and after layoffs.

Layoffs by discipline would also be useful to know. Layoffs aren't going to be an even split, some places might keep more designers, some might keep more programmers. I imagine artists were hit the hardest as a discipline last year. A tear down of layoffs by artist discipline would be useful for a lot of my artist friends looking for work to know where to focus. Is non-outsourced demand for animators higher or lower than that for environment artists? Obviously UI positions are in huge demand right now across the board.

I think layoffs are pretty spiky, and yeah, if you break them down by discipline it's probably a lot more revealing. Blizzard's layoffs, which were specifically mentioned, were 90% outside of development. 38 Studios obviously hit development a lot harder, but still it's more indicative of their particular failings vs. the state of the industry as a whole.

Phantasmal
Jun 6, 2001

Diplomaticus posted:

Holy poo poo, thank you. I worked on Dragonrealms and it's awesome to hear that people still think of it fondly. Interestingly, it took more than 15 years for Dragonrealms to embrace microtransactions and RMT (by this I mean the Simu Shop, not selling GM-assisted in-game weddings/name changes).

It was probably the first online game I played with any sort of regularity, and it's far and away the most interesting MMO-like I've played to this day. The way it tried to describe combat without actually using numbers was amazing for an RPG, and I still think the skill and experience system with modifications could still be a great way to discourage mindless grinding as a form of character progression while still feeling justified from the player's perspective.

It's kinda shocking it took them so long to start using microtransactions. Their playerbase seems to me to be absolutely perfect for that kind of model, but perhaps it was a concern that they might undermine the legitimacy of the world.

djkillingspree
Apr 2, 2001
make a hole with a gun perpendicular

DreadCthulhu posted:

As far as Bay Area is concerned, that's very true all across the software industry. As a dev, you get laid off, you walk across the street to the next building and get a job there at some other big name firm (or any startup, nowadays). The downside is that your salary implicitly accounts for that, so you have to live with a very considerable paycut. I know game programmers who worked on AAA projects since 2007 and just now are breaking into the 6 figures, while many software companies in the area will pay fresh college grads more than that.

Also 6 figures in the Bay Area is in no way similar to 6 figures in most other parts of the country. Even with the insane housing prices in Orange County I get dizzy looking at real estate listings in the Bay Area.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

djkillingspree posted:

Also 6 figures in the Bay Area is in no way similar to 6 figures in most other parts of the country. Even with the insane housing prices in Orange County I get dizzy looking at real estate listings in the Bay Area.

Exactly, that puts another huge dent as well. You get a haircut around the Bay no matter what, unless you manage to negotiate really really well, which I don't know how often works at game companies.

Back a few years ago WA was a good place to be with the high salaries and low housing costs, I don't know if things finally caught up. Seattle/Kirkland/Bellevue were going up in price pretty rapidly.

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

Chainclaw posted:

Dan Teasdale from Twisted Pixel made a bunch of graphs based on the layoffs in the games industry from last year: http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/na

It looks like the safest place to work is a console game studio with a Metacritic average above 80. Also, it shows that the UK, Austin, and Boston were all hit really hard last year. San Francisco seems the safest area to work, from that data.

I couldn't find a link in there to his raw data, I'm curious if he missed any layoffs, some don't really make the rounds as much as others.

Thanks for that read - really interesting. Though, Baltimore not even part of the data. :colbert:

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

DreadCthulhu posted:

I think this has more to do with lots of people in games failing at assertiveness. This is also part of the problem with crunch. If you are looking for a job while employed it is very easy to just walk away from offers that don't pay what you are worth.

AmazonTony
Nov 23, 2012

I'm the Marketing Manager for Amazon's Digital Video Games group. Feel free to ask me questions about upcoming and current deals. We'll also be doing community giveaways, Q&As with developers, and Podcasts with ++GoodGames.

devilmouse posted:

On that note, if anyone's going to be out at PAX and wants to come to the Microsoft NERD party thing on Thursday night before the show, holler and I'll send you the code for free tickets.

This thing: http://paxparty2013.eventbrite.com/

Hey-O! I'll be running all over Pax East this weekend. Would love to hang if you're around. PM me here or at tvacgamer on reddit and I'll get you my contact info (open invite to anyone on the thread).

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
And as if to go against the statistics being discussed here, I've just been offered a job at a AAA UK studio. I say offered as I need to complete a phone interview later with another AAA UK Studio, so I need to get on with that and hopefully get to choose.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

BizarroAzrael posted:

And as if to go against the statistics being discussed here, I've just been offered a job at a AAA UK studio.

Sweet. Grats dude. You've been working at this for a while and now it's paying off. :)

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Well, this new Blizzard game is going to make them a ton of money, even though I'm not personally interested in it. I'm more excited for what other "small epics" they may be getting into, and pushing the mobile gaming envelope.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
See, I'm not that massively surprised by it. Like, it's a little unexpected but I don't think I'm all that surprised. The Warcraft CCG did crazy business but it wasn't something that Blizzard could really control so when active development on that came to a halt it was really only a matter of time before the concept got brought back in some form or another.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Also Duels of the Planeswalkers did big business for Magic and Wizards, and led to need customers in other parts of the business, this could do something similar. Though possibly also for Wizards if the old WoW TCG is anything to go by.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Magic makes some loving absurd amount of money for Wizards/Hasbro - also Wizards weren't involved with the production of the WoW CCG as far as I remember.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants
This popped up in my facebook thingy a bit ago via someone I know at uhh ubisoft I think (I'm terrible at remembering this stuff some times)

Anyway there's a company who's aiming to replace scaleform as the go-to UI middleware for games, so I became a bit curious and I was wondering what opinions of it may be.

Anybody hear of / have thoughts on http://coherent-labs.com/

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
I'm planning on graduating with a computer engineering degree shortly and have been making games throughout my time at university.

How should I construct a portfolio when I apply for programming positions?

Should I create a website or should I use Dropbox?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Juc66 posted:

This popped up in my facebook thingy a bit ago via someone I know at uhh ubisoft I think (I'm terrible at remembering this stuff some times)

Anyway there's a company who's aiming to replace scaleform as the go-to UI middleware for games, so I became a bit curious and I was wondering what opinions of it may be.

Anybody hear of / have thoughts on http://coherent-labs.com/
I expect something like this will become the standard, but I doubt it will be soon. You're going to see a lot of these pop up, some might catch on, ScaleForm might buy one out, etc.

I like it because it's not Flash, but realistically, that's their only major selling point. Everything they showed was "we're like ScaleForm, but you can use HTML!"... and that's not a selling point to anyone looking at having to retrain their entire UI team.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 22, 2013

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Jaytan posted:

I think this has more to do with lots of people in games failing at assertiveness. This is also part of the problem with crunch. If you are looking for a job while employed it is very easy to just walk away from offers that don't pay what you are worth.

I don't think any amount of assertiveness is going to convince a typical game studio to give a fresh college grad six figures a year.

Here's Develop's salary survey: https://www.develop-online.net/features/1803/Develop-Salary-Survey-2013-The-results. Median salary globally is £34,183 ($52,088), but it's skewed toward UK developers whose average salary is a bit low. Game Developer Magazine also has an annual survey with a larger sample size that is more US-based, and the last time I checked (a couple of years ago), the average salary (I assume the mean average) was $80,000 with artists making a bit less at $70,000, programmers making a bit more at $90,000, and entry-level & QA guys making way less ($40,000), which lines up with my personal experiences.

edit: The only discipline where the average is six-figures across the board at all experience levels is business. Even programmers don't average six figures unless they have a doctoral degree.

emoticon fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 22, 2013

waffledoodle
Oct 1, 2005

I believe your boast sounds vaguely familiar.

Shalinor posted:

I expect something like this will become the standard, but I doubt it will be soon. You're going to see a lot of these pop up, some might catch on, ScaleForm might buy one out, etc.

I like it because it's not Flash, but realistically, that's their only major selling point. Everything they showed was "we're like ScaleForm, but you can use HTML!"... and that's not a selling point to anyone looking at having to retrain their entire UI team.

I also didn't see any mention of animation tools, and to me that seems like the nut you really have to crack if you want to supplant Flash/Scaleform.

waffledoodle fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 22, 2013

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
Despite it's humble looking website, for Scaleform replacement, the answer is Iggy by RADTools. It uses SWFs and is way better in every way.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Harold Krell posted:

I'm planning on graduating with a computer engineering degree shortly and have been making games throughout my time at university.

How should I construct a portfolio when I apply for programming positions?

Should I create a website or should I use Dropbox?

Don't use Dropbox. A few companies have that blocked. Use a goon host found in SA-Mart and then once you buy hosting/a domain there should be a CPanel to install Wordpress or some other easy template style site.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Sion posted:

Magic makes some loving absurd amount of money for Wizards/Hasbro - also Wizards weren't involved with the production of the WoW CCG as far as I remember.

Sorry, lazy posting on my phone, I was being a bit cynical and saying that people that start playing the WoW TCG tend to end up playing Magic instead.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Wow how come the uk games industry pays less than everywhere else! Are games devs in America and Canada considered quite well off? $70k a year sounds mad, especially when I always thought the uk had a higher cost of living.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

concerned mom posted:

Wow how come the uk games industry pays less than everywhere else!

I reckon it's mostly Studios loving off to the o glorious land of milk and honey Canada and major shutdowns flooded the job market with dizzying amounts of majorly experienced dudes, while the number of young aspiring student/graduate types continues to grow. We weren't that huge an industry to begin with really.

The UK has only just jumped on the tax relief bandwagon and apparently we're already seeing some returns from that
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21828869

Couldn't tell you about cost of living as my perspective was hosed a bit when I moved from Middlesbrough, nowadays even more of a bombsite than when I studied there - to Leamington Spa and eating £375 a month rent each with a bro of mine.

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Mar 23, 2013

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
I'd say it was because the economy is in the shitter thanks to financial deregulation... but the US is the same. :downs:

Middlesbrough. My homeland and ancestral lands for many generations. :swoon:

"People are leaving because of the uncertainty in the town. In Gresham we have 1,500 homes scheduled to be demolished but we do not have a plan for what will be developed on the area where the homes will be cleared. Grove Hill is now like going through Beirut and it is heartbreaking to see what has happened in St Hilda’s"

- Councillor Ken Walker, 2009

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I think some of it is certain places skewing the statistics with the shoddy practices we see every week or so in the blog portion of The Trenches. If it's any consolation, I think it's those places that are dying off as they tend to be the one run by people who took credit for something in the 80's and have been coasting on that ever since without really having the aptitude to run a company or team, or even necessarily to to make a game.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I guess what I'm really asking though is are game dev wages considered a decent well paid wage in the Americas? Like I'd consider being on £45k a year very comfortably off. Does it reflect like that there?

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

concerned mom posted:

I guess what I'm really asking though is are game dev wages considered a decent well paid wage in the Americas? Like I'd consider being on £45k a year very comfortably off. Does it reflect like that there?

QA wages are considered rather bad, programmer wages are seen as decent.
But keep in mind the cost of living in the USA varies rather massively from location to location, and to a lesser degree it's like that in Canada too.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

concerned mom posted:

Wow how come the uk games industry pays less than everywhere else! Are games devs in America and Canada considered quite well off? $70k a year sounds mad, especially when I always thought the uk had a higher cost of living.

Keep in mind that the UK survey uses median average rather than the mean:

quote:

We’ve calculated the result above on these pages as a median average, rather than a mean average. A mean average would otherwise distort the numbers by including a group of very senior contributors who have kindly taken part to help form data in higher tiers.
With those well-paid execs included, the average jumps up to £36,523, but that's also down on last year's tally of £37,407.

Although £36,523 ($55,617) is still way lower than the US averages :crossarms:

edit:

concerned mom posted:

Senior game developers are actually pretty well off but due to the disparity between how much a senior is paid versus how much a entry level/indie dev is paid, there is a bit of a perception that most game developers live on ramen noodles.

However, even a senior game programmer makes less and works more hours than he would have at a regular software job in Silicon Valley, so...

edit2:

For comparison

quote:

While inflation-adjusted ("real") household income had been increasing almost every year from 1945 to 1999, it has since been flat and even decreased recently. U.S. median household income fell from $51,144 in 2010 to $50,502 in 2011. Extreme poverty in the United States, meaning households living on less than $2 per day before government benefits, doubled from 1996 to 1.5 million households in 2011, including 2.8 million children.

Source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_income_in_the_United_States

emoticon fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 23, 2013

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah it depends what you are doing. A starting artist gig is like 45k to 60k a year. Which isn't bad. Just don't expect to get a place in SF though. Environmental artists though? 120k a year at least.

It's probably the hardest job though considering you are basically the core essential artist for the game.

And yes QA wages are not something to live off. You only make 12 an hr. That's like.. what 22k for a year? Yeah good luck trying to live off that. NOW that's someone living off ramen noodles.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Shindragon posted:

Environmental artists though? 120k a year at least.

It's probably the hardest job though considering you are basically the core essential artist for the game.

What? That's absurdly ridiculous. Where the hell you getting your information and if it's true I want to know where that is lol

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
No kidding, I've been an environment artist for 10 years now and that number is nuts!

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)
Yeah either that's crazy high or Shindragon works at some super wealthy studio. Generally, you're not going to be making six figures unless you're management (art director?), business, or a lead programmer.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:

ceebee posted:

Don't use Dropbox. A few companies have that blocked. Use a goon host found in SA-Mart and then once you buy hosting/a domain there should be a CPanel to install Wordpress or some other easy template style site.

Thanks, I'll try that.

As a follow-up, would it benefit me in any way if one of my demos was a GameMaker project?

Also, how will interviewers know that the games I upload to the site were created by me? I've uploaded some other projects before under a pseudonym and I wouldn't want them to think I'm plagiarizing someone else's work.

Paniolo
Oct 9, 2007

Heads will roll.
Maybe not base salary but after a couple of shipped titles an engineer should be pulling in six figures after bonuses, at least on the west coast. Game developer magazine publishes a yearly salary survey, I found it useful to buy a digital copy of that issue when I was in salary negotiations.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Paniolo posted:

Maybe not base salary but after a couple of shipped titles an engineer should be pulling in six figures after bonuses, at least on the west coast. Game developer magazine publishes a yearly salary survey, I found it useful to buy a digital copy of that issue when I was in salary negotiations.
Definitely. Artists, probably not, but engineers with 6+ years of experience, especially if they're AAA, should have salary ranges starting at 90k+. If you're taking less than that, hopefully it's for a good reason (startup + equity, basically).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

emoticon posted:

Yeah either that's crazy high or Shindragon works at some super wealthy studio. Generally, you're not going to be making six figures unless you're management (art director?), business, or a lead programmer.

Well I am working at Lucasarts. :v: (ILM and the animation studio are here as well)

To be clear, when I said hard I mean like in certain places like Microsoft, Insomniac, Naughty Dog. A Senior Enviroment artist pulls in around 100k or more. Lucasarts is like roughly 90k or more. Hell at ND a regular EVA gets like 70k. A starting EVA is mostly likely to net around 40k of course. Edit: You be suprised Shalinor. Some places have artist make more than the engineer. More of the exception than the rule but look hard enough and it's there. That is to say I'm not trying to break into the AAA immediately.
With like the 20 or so small moblie companies around, it's a good place to start.Worst comes to worst I"ll end up at Zynga. :v: (not so bad considering half my QA team from Sony SCEA is now there)

http://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/environmental-artist-salary-SRCH_KO0,20.htm

Not sure how legit glass door is so correct me if I"m wrong that if isn't a reliable source.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 23, 2013