Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

DiggityDoink posted:

I've only ever seen it on trucks/SUV/Jeeps, basically anything mildly lifted. It gets worse the more extreme the suspension geometry. It doesn't hurt that most lifted vehicles end up being constructed poorly from older trucks with bushings and other components already hurting.

Both times I've had to deal with it were on 80s Cherokees and it ended up being the steering dampener. It's really loving scary the first time but after that its like kastein was saying, you figure out a way to stop it while you pull hair out trying to find the problem.

Steering damper is a bandaid. All it does is cover up a poorly designed or maintained suspension. I know a lot of people with lifted jeeps with no steering damper at all and no deathwobble.

And yeah, poor construction or extreme suspension geometry tend to make it more likely.

veedubfreak posted:

On the topic of death wobbles. How can someone drive day in and day out on a tire that is so clearly out of balance that the suspension is moving a solid 4 inches + at highway speeds. How hard is it to get your tire balanced. I start freaking out if I get even the tiniest of vibration out of my wheels and tires, I can't even imagine driving with a tire that is 1/2 lb out of balance.

Are you talking about the front? because that's not out of balance tires, that's suspension oscillation.

The outside video there is so shakycam I can't really tell if anything else is up, photographer keeps moving the drat camera... but when they go over the bridge the expansion joints quite clearly trigger a bout of deathwobble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

That damn Pharah again...

College Slice

Couple days old, but this is absolutely baffling. I know there's "one born every minute" but I have a very difficult time imaging that there's actually people on this earth so brain-dead that they think this is in any way legitimate. How do they survive in day to day life and haven't been eaten by a bear or something?

The videos brought tears to my eyes I was laughing so hard.

SiliconX fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 21, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DiggityDoink posted:

it ended up being the steering dampener

Oh good, kastein covered this so I'm gonna say I agree and add that step one for chasing down a death wobble is to REMOVE the damper. Actually, that's step 1 for a lot of suspension diagnostics. Dampers are great, but they mask problems. When you have to replace one every 10k miles it's because your suspension is borked and beating it to death (and I've known people in this situation who wouldn't listen to reason).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
To add to that, when you see a truck with dual, triple, or even quadruple (:haw:) steering stabilizers, you know you're dealing with a highly professional, skilled offroad fabricator.

And should immediately get as far away from the hackjob, deathtrap truck they're on as soon as you possibly can.

Some terrible truck stuff:

These photos are also great for other reasons - just check out the number of shocks, driveline design, control arm angles, etc... loving horrible. Steering design is pretty awesome too!

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

kastein posted:

Some terrible truck stuff:

These photos are also great for other reasons - just check out the number of shocks, driveline design, control arm angles, etc... loving horrible. Steering design is pretty awesome too!

You forgot to mention paint jobs.

Looks like somebody's got a Tonka Truck fetish.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Holy crap.

I'm not sure if this one is worse or better. It certainly took more time to "create".

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

SiliconX posted:

Couple days old, but this is absolutely baffling. I know there's "one born every minute" but I have a very difficult time imaging that there's actually people on this earth so brain-dead that they think this is in any way legitimate. How do they survive in day to day life and haven't been eaten by a bear or something?

The videos brought tears to my eyes I was laughing so hard.
They might be more believable if they didn't claim to be able to replicate pretty much any supercar. Maybe stick to just a couple?

Also, there was some confusion by one of the articles I read about how they weren't sure how they had access to real Lamborghinis. Probably is not that hard when you're fleecing people from around the world for 20-50k for fake cars.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Motronic posted:

I'm not sure if this one is worse or better. It certainly took more time to "create".

It is at least a bit stronger, provided good welds. I'd really like to see some gusseting in there. It's a tough situation when you go stupid high. High-steer arms and drop pitman arms only take you so far. My suggestion is don't go that high. LCOG is better anyway, unless you're just mud-bogging I guess. I hate mud anyway.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
And again AI makes me realise I'm right and they are wrong. I've always thought that the steering damper just masks issues and that a blown one isn't the cause of problems. I've had a couple of cars with blown dampers including my S beetle. All I did was clean the oil off it so it'd pass inspection. Couldn't see any point in it.

Threw so many parts at the front end on that car, but it just never wanted to behave. I guess some cars are just like that.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

What is with the shiny spacer block under the leaf shackle doodad that extends back and seems to tie onto the rear end of the leaf again?

And once again cakefool demonstrates that while there may possibly be areas he could be considered proficient in, this area of discussion isn't one.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Cakefool posted:

What is with the shiny spacer block under the leaf shackle doodad that extends back and seems to tie onto the rear end of the leaf again?

It looks to be there to stop the diff / axle assembly from rotating. But I may be wrong. That thing is such a clusterfuck.

I'm no offroad master but what's the point in massive lifts? the way I see it as long as the body is high enough to prevent high centering and have a decent amount of flex that's as good as it gets.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

With hand positioning like that, he deserves to die from massive death wobble.

I don't drive much, but when I do, half-mom all the way.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Jonny Nox posted:

Mind you I have driven more than a few km with my elbows on the spokes and my chin on the top of the wheel (very empty secondary highways)

I wonder if an airbag at exactly the wrong moment and position could knock someone's head off.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

General_Failure posted:

It looks to be there to stop the diff / axle assembly from rotating. But I may be wrong. That thing is such a clusterfuck.

I'm no offroad master but what's the point in massive lifts? the way I see it as long as the body is high enough to prevent high centering and have a decent amount of flex that's as good as it gets.

Its more for crawling and being able to flex, massive lifts like that are actually pretty useless in reality because it lifts everything that would be in the way out of the way except for one important part:

The solid axles and diffs.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Cakefool posted:

It's a spacer block, I'm not sure if it really ties into the shackle in the back or not, but that shackle piece and related hardware is there to prevent axle wrap. This is fancy speak for the axle trying to pass the springs.

It's this:

Axle wrap is exacerbated by lift blocks and giant tires because essentially lift blocks and giant tires make the lever longer.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, it's some sort of ridiculous attempt at making the axle not flop around wildly when throttle is applied.

Good luck getting it to stay put with leaf springs shaped like barrel hoops.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

trouser chili posted:

It's a spacer block, I'm not sure if it really ties into the shackle in the back or not, but that shackle piece and related hardware is there to prevent axle wrap. This is fancy speak for the axle trying to pass the springs.

It's this:

Axle wrap is exacerbated by lift blocks and giant tires.

Exactly.

With smaller tires and a lower stock setup, the axles generally won't have the torque/ability to twist hard enough to axle wrap, but the higher your lift and bigger your tires, the more ability the axles gain to twist the leaf springs, the shackle ties to the rear of the spring, helping give support and preventing the axles from twisting free of the leaf springs.

In reality if you do a lift that massive (which is pretty silly) you need to replace the stock leaf springs with a better set.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

kastein posted:

Yeah, it's some sort of ridiculous attempt at making the axle not flop around wildly when throttle is applied.

They are ridiculous on these rigs and help demonstrate the lengths one must go to make the suspension behave when this much lift and tire is applied, but they are legitimately used on high-powered drag cars all the time, most commonly in the doorslammer classes. In that application they are typically called "traction bars".

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Traction bars go from the body to the axle, I thought - those things are more of a one sided overload leaf than anything else.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Not to mention they are on the wrong side of the spring to prevent axle wrap on acceleration.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Saw this at work today, in the parking garage. Barely visible in the hatch area is the bare plywood sub "box":

Closer on the fender:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Jonny Nox posted:

Also: 16 Ave NW, Calgary

Owners are going to be complaining about how poo poo their Toyota is after they have to completely replace the rear suspension in a year (the bumper was about an inch off the ground) Not seen, kids wandering around in the back.

I would have thought those things came with Nivomats in the back, considering how much Toyota charges for them. You can get Nivomats with the tow package on Dodge/Chrysler vans.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Godholio posted:

So...it was a four wheel drive truck and they just removed the rear driveshaft and left it in 4-hi, or what?
I think that was the explanation given by the seller in the auction. The trailer portion is grafted to the frame or something, and there isn't a live axle back there, so yeah, you have to leave it in 4HI in order to move. I don't recall if he said anything had been done to the front diff or transfer case to handle that.

Speaking of, how would one handle that? Regear the front diff so you don't max out at 47 mph? What can be done to not make the whole front drivetrain not poo poo itself?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Left Ventricle posted:

Speaking of, how would one handle that? Regear the front diff so you don't max out at 47 mph? What can be done to not make the whole front drivetrain not poo poo itself?

The front diff is geared the same as the back. Otherwise any 4 wheel drive would do nothing other than turn the weakest link into tiny parts.

I've driven a long, long way on a front diff only of several 4x4 vehicles. In all likelihood it's not a problem.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Holy gently caress. Anyone stupid enough to be taken by these clowns deserve what they get.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Linedance posted:

I don't drive much, but when I do, half-mom all the way.

Me too, but it's more manly if we call it a "reverse farmer." :colbert:

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Closer on the fender:

Okay, I've seen this in the hellaflush thread too. What is this about, why are the kids doing it?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Neptr posted:

Okay, I've seen this in the hellaflush thread too. What is this about, why are the kids doing it?

Only guessing but I guess a slab of stickers is cheaper than respraying a panel in the right colour.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Motronic posted:

The front diff is geared the same as the back. Otherwise any 4 wheel drive would do nothing other than turn the weakest link into tiny parts.

I've driven a long, long way on a front diff only of several 4x4 vehicles. In all likelihood it's not a problem.

Same. Might stretch the transfer case chain in time if you do it a lot on a chain driven case.

You know what's a little terrifying? Limping back from Rausch Creek to the KOA in Pine Grove via i81... in front wheel drive... with a manual transmission and a front auto locker. That right there was a terrible car thing.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

slidebite posted:

Holy gently caress. Anyone stupid enough to be taken by these clowns deserve what they get.
The old saying about the fool and his money has never been truer.

But on the other hand, the Jalopnik article did come to the conclusion that a good amount of their victims were non-native English speakers. It certainly explains how they can fill their sketchy-looking website with barely passable English and still manage to rope people in.

It's also kind of lovely to think that the only people who fall for this scam are the people who probably can't afford the real deal, so they're hurting their victims a lot worse than if it were some rich sheikh looking to fill the last spot in his 40-car garage.

On the subject of sticker abuse:

Because gently caress VISIBILITY.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Neptr posted:

While the "Sunoco fender" is quite likely just an unpainted replacement fender, the hellaflush kids typically do this to perfect condition body parts. The most common I've seen (I admittedly used to spend some time on an unnamed import forum) is front lips & bumpers, and it's always stickers from the hellaflush trifecta: Illest, Canibeat, and... gently caress I don't know, who cares.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

enojy posted:

While the "Sunoco fender" is quite likely just an unpainted replacement fender, the hellaflush kids typically do this to perfect condition body parts. The most common I've seen (I admittedly used to spend some time on an unnamed import forum) is front lips & bumpers, and it's always stickers from the hellaflush trifecta: Illest, Canibeat, and... gently caress I don't know, who cares.

Usually if someone mentions Illest I walk away from the conversation. Rule of thumb.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

trouser chili posted:

They are ridiculous on these rigs and help demonstrate the lengths one must go to make the suspension behave when this much lift and tire is applied, but they are legitimately used on high-powered drag cars all the time, most commonly in the doorslammer classes. In that application they are typically called "traction bars".

This is how real trucks do it:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Usually if someone mentions Illest I walk away from the conversation. Rule of thumb.

Last week my family had gastro. I was the illest of all of them.

Not really, but it's just about the only sense I find that awful word semi-acceptable.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Giblet Plus! posted:

This is how real trucks do it:

Square tube is not a good choice for that application.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
uh, that's the axle

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

General_Failure posted:

Last week my family had gastro. I was the illest of all of them.

Not really, but it's just about the only sense I find that awful word semi-acceptable.

I'd like to know the etymology, quite frankly.

I always assumed it had to do with the feeling of drifting. "I'm usually pretty good about keeping my food down, but a few dozen laps in that lovely Honda really did me in. That was the illest I've felt in 10 years."

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Cenodoxus posted:

The old saying about the fool and his money has never been truer.

But on the other hand, the Jalopnik article did come to the conclusion that a good amount of their victims were non-native English speakers. It certainly explains how they can fill their sketchy-looking website with barely passable English and still manage to rope people in.

It's also kind of lovely to think that the only people who fall for this scam are the people who probably can't afford the real deal, so they're hurting their victims a lot worse than if it were some rich sheikh looking to fill the last spot in his 40-car garage.

On the subject of sticker abuse:

Because gently caress VISIBILITY.

Want to see this and the Libertarian mobile get in a wreck. :unsmigghh:

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Previa_fun posted:

Want to see this and the Libertarian mobile get in a wreck. :unsmigghh:

In a high-speed particle collision, matter and antimatter collide to form a burst of pure energy in the form of gamma rays.

Practically speaking, if we could get them going fast enough, maybe we'd end up with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cenodoxus posted:

In a high-speed particle collision, matter and antimatter collide to form a burst of pure energy in the form of gamma rays.

Practically speaking, if we could get them going fast enough, maybe we'd end up with this.

Its okay, the free market and pure strain gold will solve any issues, no need to involve the cops and insurance.