Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Bartlett got pissed because someone under him made the decision for him, even though it would have been what he would've done. That's why he fired Toby instead of letting him resign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
He fired Toby because he had to, and I don't think, between the "I don't want you for a minute to think I'm one of them" speech and the turmoil over the pardon, that there's much room to debate what Bartlet thought about what Toby did.

Maud Moonshine
Nov 6, 2010

I didn't mean that it would fit more with Bartlett's character, just that it would fit more for Toby's. I can just about see him being willing to take the fall for the President, though I think he'd be kind of resentful about it.

My mum is notorious for making wildly off-base interpretations of things. She doesn't pay enough attention. I just thought it was kind of amusing.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Maud Moonshine posted:

My mum is notorious for making wildly off-base interpretations of things. She doesn't pay enough attention.

She'd be right at home in the Walking Dead thread.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
I always felt Bartlet's anger at Toby seemed over the top. Sure, what the guy did was wrong but he also saved social security and was one of the minds behind that tuition dealie. He solo'd at least one SoU and wrote a majority of the others and in general was one of the most useful people in Bartlet's team. And Jed just forgets all that because Toby told (or took the blame at least) the public Hutchins had a silly little Space Shuttle? Come on, Jed, who really cares?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Popo posted:

I always felt Bartlet's anger at Toby seemed over the top. Sure, what the guy did was wrong but he also saved social security and was one of the minds behind that tuition dealie. He solo'd at least one SoU and wrote a majority of the others and in general was one of the most useful people in Bartlet's team. And Jed just forgets all that because Toby told (or took the blame at least) the public Hutchins had a silly little Space Shuttle? Come on, Jed, who really cares?

I think he was more angry at Toby doing something that forced him to fire him then the actual divulging state secrets - because you can't divulge state secrets and still hold a government job.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Popo posted:

Bartlet was angry that Toby took the decision away from him because Toby didn't trust Bartlet to make the right decision.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Popo posted:

This is vastly (vastly) understating the seriousness of a major national security breach. No one gets a pinch on the cheek and an "aww, you rascal you!" for divulging classified information to the public, no matter how many speeches they wrote or policy initiatives they got passed. And, if we grant the premise that Toby really was the leaker, he knew all that and did it anyway. His offering his resignation--whether he was the leaker or not--is laughable and almost a slap in the face to Bartlet. The politics of the situation simply don't allow for Toby to quietly resign--and Toby, a political guy through and through, would know that as well as anybody. There's also the broader context of Toby having a history of questioning Bartlet's moral integrity. Finally, there's a sense that Toby is doing this, at least in some small part, for his own personal glory. Bartlet tells him many people will see him as a hero; Schiff, if I recall correctly, kind of plays it as though Toby had never considered that, but Bartlet knows Toby pretty darn well, and as the audience, we've certainly seen him be at times pompous and self-aggrandizing. Toby (or whoever the leaker is) has taken a complex situation and reduced it to a simple answer: if we have the capability to save the astronauts, we ought to do so. Bartlet has to consider other variables, such as the likelihood that revealing the existence of the military shuttle will promote an arms race of orbital weapons platforms, or provoke some kind of aggressive action from some unfriendly nation. We might consider those to e remote possibilities, but if either one of them were to occur, they would result in a much greater loss of life than the few astronauts on the space station.

All in all, Toby's trangression was in no way minor, and I believe that Bartlet had every right to be furious with him. You know, assuming it really was Toby that did it.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
What really let me down was how the morality of such a weapon was almost completely brushed over. There could have been an interesting discussion on the militarization of space, and how the existence of a military shuttle could represent the "do as I say, not as I do" attitude of American foreign policy. Instead we get a crappy whodunit subplot. Everyone in the administration is furious over the leak, but apparently less so over the idea that the government sees no problem with the construction of this shuttle in the first place.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

JohnSherman posted:

What really let me down was how the morality of such a weapon was almost completely brushed over. There could have been an interesting discussion on the militarization of space, and how the existence of a military shuttle could represent the "do as I say, not as I do" attitude of American foreign policy. Instead we get a crappy whodunit subplot. Everyone in the administration is furious over the leak, but apparently less so over the idea that the government sees no problem with the construction of this shuttle in the first place.
Which is why, shocking statement from a liberal incoming, I was pretty much fine with what Toby did. I, the taxpayer, don't remember asking my government to weaponize space, so Toby let me know they were doing it. Nice guy, that Toby - shame about the never ending guilt trip that he turns into through seasons 6 and 7.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I was let down a lot by the fact that we never actually get to see anything pertaining to the space shuttle. I think that's an enormous oversight for a visual medium. We got to see it when they assassinated the foreign dignitary by getting him off his plane in the middle of the night, we got to see an agent with a hole in her head when Zoey got kidnapped, and when the hurricane knocks over the tender boat, Bartlet huddles next to a radio in his office counseling its signal officer. So I'll concede that it might have been ridiculous to conjure the special effects for wind and rain, and maybe an action sequence for the SWAT team that murked Zoey's kidnappers would have been outside of the show's scope, but at the best of times, they always found a way to get us in physical contact with the current events happening outside of the West Wing itself.

With the space shuttle thing they could have done anything from a begrudging blast-off sequence at a military installation, to a shot of a couple guys in space suits waving at television cameras on a tarmac, to just having some the astronauts show up at the White House to be received as guests. The showrunners never really made the effort to obscure the fact that the whole ordeal was a cheap plot point to gently caress around with Toby for a while, and that's kind of unfortunate.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
West Wing was always really good about tell, not show. I think it's part of the style. The story isn't about what's happening out there, it's about how the characters in here are dealing with it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It's also a reflection of the fact that at that level of administration, you rarely see directly the things you're influencing or reacting to.

Short of having a situation room type set-up, I suppose.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
I've taken to putting on my coat like Barlet. Partly because I have headphones on and my phone sitting on my desk while I put it on but also in tribute to Martin's greatest role.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

I've been looking through the archives, and I'm wondering - was there a thread for The West Wing while it was airing? Because it was a drat popular show when it was.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Here's the thread for the series finale: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1876088

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Oh how the hive mind's opinion of Studio 60 has fallen.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Does Greg Brock drop his Zip disk (lol) with the Hoynes article in CJs office on purpose? It looks like it, but...why?

Also was Toby banging Rena (Rina?)? I'm pretty sure she and Angela Blake take a trip to Mandyville too.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

myron cope posted:

Does Greg Brock drop his Zip disk (lol) with the Hoynes article in CJs office on purpose? It looks like it, but...why?
I can't remember exactly how that scene plays out, but I'm pretty it was a personal favour to CJ, but covering himself enough to deny he leaked it if it came out.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Hoops posted:

I can't remember exactly how that scene plays out, but I'm pretty it was a personal favour to CJ, but covering himself enough to deny he leaked it if it came out.
Which is just ridiculous, because they both looked at the disk, at each other, at the disk, at each other. There is no wiggle room at all, unless he just wants to lie "I did not realize I dropped the disk", at which point why don't you just tell her and then lie about that. Oy.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
If Greg gives her the story he's given her the story. If she finds a disk, nobody knows how she got that disk. No matter what Greg's gonna know he gave her the story, but it comes down to what he can convince other people of.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Oh the Lydells. Boy did you school Mandy and CJ.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
In case any of y'all are interested, Mark Oshiro, who runs markreads.net and markwatches.net has started watching The West Wing and posting episode-by-episode reviews.

Maud Moonshine
Nov 6, 2010

BrooklynBruiser posted:

In case any of y'all are interested, Mark Oshiro, who runs markreads.net and markwatches.net has started watching The West Wing and posting episode-by-episode reviews.

This is nearly the best news I've had all week. :D Thanks for posting about it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Mark's excitement at the pilot got me excited! His energy reminds me of my first time watching the series. If I show a girl the pilot and she doesn't like it, that's a dealbreaker. :colbert:

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Mark's excitement at the pilot got me excited! His energy reminds me of my first time watching the series. If I show a girl the pilot and she doesn't like it, that's a dealbreaker. :colbert:

You should go back through Mark's past archives of shows! Excitement and enthusiasm are his Things, and it owns.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Well, I've been binging through this series for the last couple of weeks, already up to Season 5. Why are they making Abbey so unlikeable? She seems to criticize the president for god drat near everything, constantly trivializing immensely complex situations and blaming him for everything, acting super entitled and taking everything personally. I realize she's the first lady and all, but man I really can't stand her character right now, it's like they're trying as hard as possible for me to not like her. Does it get better or worse as the series goes on?

Edit: Also is it weird that I squealed a little when I saw John Goodman out of fricking nowhere? I loving love John Goodman

reversefungi fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 27, 2013

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Dark Wind posted:

Well, I've been binging through this series for the last couple of weeks, already up to Season 5. Why are they making Abbey so unlikeable? She seems to criticize the president for god drat near everything, constantly trivializing immensely complex situations and blaming him for everything, acting super entitled and taking everything personally. I realize she's the first lady and all, but man I really can't stand her character right now, it's like they're trying as hard as possible for me to not like her. Does it get better or worse as the series goes on?

It gets better, but not because Abbey’s writers get better. It’s just that she gets much less screen time in seasons six and seven.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
In season 5 the writers really had no idea how to generate any conflict so they used the First Lady as a source of DRAMA as often as they could, whether it made any sense or not.

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof

The Dark Wind posted:

Edit: Also is it weird that I squealed a little when I saw John Goodman out of fricking nowhere? I loving love John Goodman

I'm pretty sure that was meant to reflect her new perspective after what happened in S4, a general "I am so over this presidency bullshit, I'm done" attitude. I'm assuming you mean her attitude beginning with S5, do you think she was bitchy before then?

And re: Goodman, I yelled "yes!" and did a little fist pump myself. The way we only got little glimpses of whomever it was, building up the suspense, and then--there he was! I thought it was brilliant casting.

JULIAN ASSANGE
Dec 6, 2012

Julian Assange FACT:
If you unzipped my pants, you would only find more pants.
They did manage to decently justify the shift in her character, but from Zoe's kidnapping on, they basically turned Abbey into an antagonist. I can see how that character arc could have worked, what with how traumatic the season 4 ending was, but every time she's on screen during season 5, she's criticizing someone. It gets old fast and it's sad to see her refusing to meet anyone halfway, ever. It's a huge shame since she was one of my favourites during the Sorkin years (note: they are all my favourite).

I think the easiest way to look at it is to pretend they're different people than were in the show before Sorkin left. The characterisation changes for everyone, mostly for the worse. They aren't bad characters from there on out, but they are different, less charming, less nuanced. Abbey is just the most extreme example. Vinick is my favourite post-Sorkin character, even more than anyone in the main cast, and I think a lot of that came down to Alan Alda.

JULIAN ASSANGE fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 27, 2013

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Marley Wants More posted:

I'm pretty sure that was meant to reflect her new perspective after what happened in S4, a general "I am so over this presidency bullshit, I'm done" attitude. I'm assuming you mean her attitude beginning with S5, do you think she was bitchy before then?

And re: Goodman, I yelled "yes!" and did a little fist pump myself. The way we only got little glimpses of whomever it was, building up the suspense, and then--there he was! I thought it was brilliant casting.

When you're bearing the responsibility of hiding a secret capable of upending the the United States Presidency and have been promised that it would only be one term- and your husband announces a reelection bid without consulting you, and then wins said bid... And you know its probably going to kill and or deteriorate his quality of life for the rest of his shortened life- you'd probably be bitchy even after you accepted it.

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof

TheBigBad posted:

When you're bearing the responsibility of hiding a secret capable of upending the the United States Presidency and have been promised that it would only be one term- and your husband announces a reelection bid without consulting you, and then wins said bid... And you know its probably going to kill and or deteriorate his quality of life for the rest of his shortened life- you'd probably be bitchy even after you accepted it.

I had forgotten all about his promise to serve only one term! Wow, I need a marathon. There was a time I could quote the whole damned series, chapter and verse. Yeah, you're right.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

TheBigBad posted:

And forfeited your medical license for the duration of the his presidency.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

tomapot posted:

And forfeited your medical license for the duration of the his presidency.

And then your daughter was kidnapped when she most assuredly would not have been kidnapped if your husband kept his promise.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
No no guys, we need to have blind hatred of Mrs. Bartlett because her reproductive organs are in the inside :goonsay:

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Conquistador posted:

No no guys, we need to have blind hatred of Mrs. Bartlett because her reproductive organs are in the inside :goonsay:

:bravo:

Leo McGarry became a one-dimensional rear end in a top hat out of nowhere for a few episodes in the post-Sorkin era, too.

Criticizing bad writing isn't misogyny. Breaking Bad will be back on the air in a few months, save some outrage for that.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not mad at all, it was a joke. I frankly can't stand Skylar but I honestly like Mrs. Bartlett. So, back atcha, I guess

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Since we seem to be hating on the female characters, did anyone else despise the character of Amy Gardner? Her constant "what the gently caress is going on" look pretty much summed up what I was thinking whenever she showed up onscreen. I understood that she was a strong feminist advocate who bounced around jobs and had an on/off relationship with Josh, but I never understood why they kept bringing this decidedly unmemorable character back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't mind Amy, I recall her pulling some shady poo poo though. I've only watched the show through and through once though so, my memory may not be the best.

• Locked thread