Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

SnakesRevenge posted:

Given your flesh.

Is this true about hunting horns? This blows my mind. Totally going for a R Ludroth tail when I get home tonight to test this!

The A attack poke is what does it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

SnakesRevenge posted:

Given your flesh.

Is this true about hunting horns? This blows my mind. Totally going for a R Ludroth tail when I get home tonight to test this!

That would really surprise me, I was going to be using HH for my bashing breaks but if it cuts tails I have no idea wtf.

Edit: The bradygames guide says 'consistent impact' rather than cutting, so I dunno wtf.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Falcon2001 posted:

That would really surprise me, I was going to be using HH for my bashing breaks but if it cuts tails I have no idea wtf.

Edit: The bradygames guide says 'consistent impact' rather than cutting, so I dunno wtf.

Seems like the special attack poke and the second A attack are what's doing it for me.

Here's a guy doing it in portable 3rd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtYyZouutUw&t=1045s

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Hey so, I bought Monster Hunter Freedom Unite waaaay back in September of last year when I bought a PS Vita. I only just started playing it today becuase I'm a miserable peasant and can't afford a Wii-U. So, I've been doing these quests for the Elder and am now supposed to harvest some tongues.

(I apologize if this is super obvious :( )

I found the yak dudes I need to kill, but a big pseudo-dragon thing swept down and slaughtered me. Am I supposed to fight him, or am I in the wrong area? He was still there when I returned, and killed me again.

I made myself some bitchin dual swords out of parts of the white raptor dudes, but they bounced off even when fully sharpened...

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I believe you're supposed to avoid him.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Lizard Wizard posted:

I believe you're supposed to avoid him.

ah, alright.

I've not played a MH game before so I wasn't sure if he was the game's way of telling me "go grind herb picking and slowly mining until you can craft LIZARDOPHOBIA BATTLEGEAR" or something.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Well, I'm not sure what table I'm in, but I found six rustshards in a row. Got a rusted hammer and some weapons that sold for solid cash. At this point I'm not going to bother to turn back if I'm not on an ideal table.

Also, Qurupeco has an absurd amount of health. gently caress that dude. I went online with some really cool pubbies, we fought a Rathian, Lagiacrus, Gobul, those fights didn't last as long as the Qurupeco. Ridiculous.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 22, 2013

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Annath posted:

ah, alright.

I've not played a MH game before so I wasn't sure if he was the game's way of telling me "go grind herb picking and slowly mining until you can craft LIZARDOPHOBIA BATTLEGEAR" or something.

Yeah, it's sort of a Monster Hunter tradition; one of the earliest missions will always be derailed by the sudden appearance of an incredibly powerful monster that you have absolutely no chance of killing, you're just supposed to run away.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Annath posted:

Hey so, I bought Monster Hunter Freedom Unite waaaay back in September of last year when I bought a PS Vita. I only just started playing it today becuase I'm a miserable peasant and can't afford a Wii-U. So, I've been doing these quests for the Elder and am now supposed to harvest some tongues.

(I apologize if this is super obvious :( )

I found the yak dudes I need to kill, but a big pseudo-dragon thing swept down and slaughtered me. Am I supposed to fight him, or am I in the wrong area? He was still there when I returned, and killed me again.

I made myself some bitchin dual swords out of parts of the white raptor dudes, but they bounced off even when fully sharpened...

Throughout the games there are several of these intended "surprise" monster attacks. You go along thinking you're just collecting some easy stuff and then tigrex/lagiacrus/etc. show up out of nowhere. You can't possibly take them on at that point: you're just meant to dodge them while collecting your popo tongues/monster innards/all that jazz.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Colapops posted:

Throughout the games there are several of these intended "surprise" monster attacks. You go along thinking you're just collecting some easy stuff and then tigrex/lagiacrus/etc. show up out of nowhere. You can't possibly take them on at that point: you're just meant to dodge them while collecting your popo tongues/monster innards/all that jazz.

Alrighty, one other question then.

I went to the Pokke Farm, and found the mining node. The cat told me that there was another mining node but than I needed to build/extend a ladder? Is that part of the upgrades I can buy, or something else?

Edit:

and if dual blades suck someone please let me know before I waste a bunch of time and loot.

Annath fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 22, 2013

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
The charm tables knowledge in the OP has ruined the game for me. My OCD won't let me continue until I know I'm not on a cursed table, and the website with the fishlady script has been down all day.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Scored myself a Ceadeus switchaxe AND a deepsea gem at the same time :toot:. Also does anyone have advice to maximise your damage output on him, until I get slime? I've been using an upgraded lagia switchaxe, cause that thing is weak to lightning.

e: I have upgraded lagia DSes so I could try that I guess, since he doesn't move lots

Reoxygenation fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 22, 2013

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

I remember Gobul being a pain in the rear end to fight in Tri. Did he get toned down or am I just better at the game?

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
Just beat my first Qurupeco... took me one hour :suicide:

I used a hammer to do it and I feel that wasn't the wisest choice, half the time I would bounce off him because he'd turn and I'd hit his wings or something. Any tips for him for my next few attempts? What's a good weapon for it?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Highblood posted:

I used a hammer to do it and I feel that wasn't the wisest choice, half the time I would bounce off him because he'd turn and I'd hit his wings or something. Any tips for him for my next few attempts? What's a good weapon for it?

It's all about sharpness. Try upgrading your hammer or buying a new one with a better sharpness rating. The sharper it is, the more hits will actually land and do damage.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Holy crap it's hard to make out anything on a normal 3ds in this game. And it feels a little awkward without a circle pad pro.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Is anyone else getting access denied on the table checker thing?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Yes. I just want confirmation that I'm on table ten. :(

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Shlapintogan posted:

Yes. I just want confirmation that I'm on table ten. :(

That's where I'm at too, I'm pretty sure I did it all right, but I'd just like to be sure before I go all the way!

avlein
Jun 13, 2011
Ahahaha the 3DS transfer app is on the EU eShop, but not on the US one.

Goddammit capcom. :suicide:

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Does anyone know what the "Sonic Waves" song does on hunting horns? I would assume it works like a sonic bomb but so far there's no effect that I can see on any monsters.

Eirgen
Jan 29, 2010
yup, sonic bomb effect at your location

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

BlueDestiny posted:

Does anyone know what the "Sonic Waves" song does on hunting horns? I would assume it works like a sonic bomb but so far there's no effect that I can see on any monsters.

That only affects certain monsters. Generally it affects things that swim underwater or dig under sand, as well as stunning Lagombi, enraging Nargacuga and interrupting Quropeccos' songs.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bussamove posted:

Nibelsnarf's breaks are his gills, front feet, and uvula if I'm remembering my time from P3rd correctly. His nose takes more damage though. Also he has the best drat weapons, his hunting horn is a harmonica for crying out loud.

Oh Jesus, how do you break his uvula? Any time his mouth is open, he's biting at you. It must be a fairly easy break, yeah? Also, 'breaking a uvula' sounds like the worst pain ever.

Sadly, no weapons unlocked for me after I beat him. But I had so much fun fighting him that that won't be a problem. He's the first 'new' monster that I really had a blast fighting. It's a shame you can't break his nose, it seems like such an obvious place to crack!

If his HH is a harmonica, that'll be the first HH I try to get/use.

such hawks
Jul 28, 2007

Annath posted:

Alrighty, one other question then.

I went to the Pokke Farm, and found the mining node. The cat told me that there was another mining node but than I needed to build/extend a ladder? Is that part of the upgrades I can buy, or something else?

Edit:

and if dual blades suck someone please let me know before I waste a bunch of time and loot.

It is an upgrade you buy with pokke points from the backpack guy just outside the farm. It won't unlock until you've gone up a few stars in the village quests though (I can't remember how many, sorry).

Dual blades in MHFU aren't as powerful as they are in MH3U, but they are still definitely viable. Make sure to have lots of mega juice or power juice to keep your stamina when you go beast-mode later on - it'll help a lot. Having said that, it pays not to get stuck with one type of weapon, as you can make some fights much easier on yourself with a weapon change (I'm looking at you plesioth, you fish bastard). With plesioth, I switched to a heavy bowgun and some fire and thunder ammo, and he turned from the most infuriating fight to a cakewalk.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

dvorak posted:

Fish him out with a frog and make it a land battle. Best Gobul Practices. I don't think it's ever spelled out in the game, so don't feel bad.

The books you can buy actually mention he loves frogs.

Ayss
Jul 11, 2007

YorexTheMad posted:

The charm tables knowledge in the OP has ruined the game for me. My OCD won't let me continue until I know I'm not on a cursed table, and the website with the fishlady script has been down all day.

I'm right there with you. I was really looking forward to giving this series a chance. I spent all evening yesterday running around in multiplayer shooting giant monsters with groups and having a great time. But knowing I could be on a bad table that could really ruin my end game, and the tracker being down has really killed my enthusiasm. Hopefully I can pick up and put some real time into this once it's recovered!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

h3avyduty posted:

With plesioth, I switched to a heavy bowgun and some fire and thunder ammo, and he turned from the most infuriating fight to a cakewalk.

I'm going to try bowguns one of these days, and my character is working towards this by being skeevy and stuffing all the free bullets from the Hunter's Guild into his Rhenoplos Armor.

Vallens
Jan 27, 2004

Get back in line you drunken fool!
Stream going up.

http://www.twitch.tv/vallens/new

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Ok so I got a rust shard of some sort. Is there some way to make use of it? Also am I right in thinking getting rust shards means I don't have a cursed table?

edit: make that a rusted fragment

Karanas fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 22, 2013

Dinotron
Sep 2, 2008
Some 'sperg-lord dropped into my room, informed us that he's "a god at this game",and told us that we should just step back and watch him kill the monster. What is it about this game that attracts elitist pricks? We have one guy on de team that had starting gear on an Agnaktor, but other than that we were gravy.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

I'm away from my Wii U most of this weekend so I'll be living vicariously through your stream. Thanks!

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
How newbie-friendly are the ranged weapons in MH3U, especially the bow?
I generally prefer ranged combat but in the demo I ran out of time with the bow against the easy monster and barely made it with the heavy bowgun.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Highblood posted:

Use the super pound. Hold R to charge up all the way and release when you are not moving. Super pound does not bounce.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

scissorman posted:

How newbie-friendly are the ranged weapons in MH3U, especially the bow?
I generally prefer ranged combat but in the demo I ran out of time with the bow against the easy monster and barely made it with the heavy bowgun.

Bows are not especially friendly to newbies, but they aren't hard to learn if you stick with it. To start: there are 3 types of arrows with bows: Rapid, pierce and scatter. Rapid shot fires a volley of up to 5 arrows in a vertical line. This is probably the preferred shot type of bowyers archers gunners who use bows. Pierce arrows continue through a monster up to 5 times, doing damage every set amount of distance travelled through the monster. Scatter is like rapid, except the arrows spread horizontally. People don't like spread as much as the other two but it's a perfectly usable type. Then after this there's the arrow rain attack, of which there are 3 varities, 2 of which just vary the area over which the arrow rain does damage, the third causing a blast. You don't need to buy ammo for bow, which is a definate advantage over bowguns, but you can buy coatings for your bow which can make them do more damage, poison, paralyze or put monsters to sleep. There are some other coatings but these are your main coatings.

Really, for any weapon if you're curious how they play, take the starter one, go out in a free hunt in offline village and experiment with them.

Oh, another thing. Bows are much, much more useful for elemental damage application than raw damage, and the starting bows are probably not up to the same level as some of the other starter weapons because of this.

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 22, 2013

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

Highblood posted:

Just imagine that soon enough you'll be able to kill him in like five, ten minutes on the outside.

For the tables thing, I was lucky enough to just put in one sample and get one response. All Xs except for T3. Didn't check until about 25 hours in, so I'm thankful I got a good one.

dvorak fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 22, 2013

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
Looks like the data transfer software is up to download on 3ds now. Just searched for everything Capcom has on the shop and it was there.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
So how's the experience with the WiiU's built in voice? Do you guys find people are actually using it online?

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Ignimbrite posted:

Bows are not especially friendly to newbies, but they aren't hard to learn if you stick with it. To start: there are 3 types of arrows with bows: Rapid, pierce and scatter. Rapid shot fires a volley of up to 5 arrows in a vertical line. This is probably the preferred shot type of bowyers archers gunners who use bows. Pierce arrows continue through a monster up to 5 times, doing damage every set amount of distance travelled through the monster. Scatter is like rapid, except the arrows spread horizontally. People don't like spread as much as the other two but it's a perfectly usable type. Then after this there's the arrow rain attack, of which there are 3 varities, 2 of which just vary the area over which the arrow rain does damage, the third causing a blast. You don't need to buy ammo for bow, which is a definate advantage over bowguns, but you can buy coatings for your bow which can make them do more damage, poison, paralyze or put monsters to sleep. There are some other coatings but these are your main coatings.

Really, for any weapon if you're curious how they play, take the starter one, go out in a free hunt in offline village and experiment with them.

Oh, another thing. Bows are much, much more useful for elemental damage application than raw damage, and the starting bows are probably not up to the same level as some of the other starter weapons because of this.

So, since you can't choose your weapons in the demo, is the demo bad at representing the bow?
I haven't bought the game yet, so I'm only playing around with the demo.

Another question, are the other ranged weapons any easier to get into and use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

scissorman posted:

I haven't bought the game yet, so I'm only playing around with the demo.

Another question, are the other ranged weapons any easier to get into and use?

Ah, no, the demo should have a bow on even pegging with the other weapons. The other ranged weapons are probably about the same to get into since you need to carry ammo and items for ammo with you when you go on a hunt. To be honest they're not inredibly hard to get into, just more so than most melee weapons because you have to aim and all the ammo and arrow types.

• Locked thread