Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Giggily posted:

Just gonna go ahead and put this out there. I Datpacked the OldFashioned folder, and it broke a few lots in the process.

On the other hand my cities load and save in moments and I can switch between data views in seconds. Totally worth it.

I might try this. It's mostly responsive enough for me unpacked, except for when I switch back to regular view from the zones data view. That takes probably 30 seconds or more. I'm speculating that for some reason it dumps all the lot graphics out of memory for that view, but not for underground or anything else. Whatever the cause, it's a pain in the rear end because that's one of the most useful data views.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Hatbox Ghost posted:

Yowza! How did you get those angled roads?

They're in NAM :ssh:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

benzine posted:

Lucky you, I tried to datpacked my plugins and it is an instant CTD, at least the plugins are datpacked v:shobon:v

Don't pack NAM, and it may take several tries to get it working. But oh man is the performance better.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Just got a free copy of SimCity 4 from Origin following the debacle over the new SimCity, does it come with the patch installed like the Steam version, or will I have to install that before I add any mods in?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
They're giving away free copies of SimCity 4? I thought they wanted people to actually play the new one. :smug:

Either way, more in the community can't be a bad thing.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Dapper Dan posted:

I recently reinstalled SC4 and I can't seem to find combined road/subway/bus/rail stations mod. I remember it being a lifesaver in terms of space. Anyone know where I might find it?
It's called RTMT (Road-Top Mass Transit). If you don't feel like mucking about with deleting .dat files, I uploaded my set.

Autumncomet posted:

http://www.mediafire.com/?vdmhrlgshr6s8nk

It's right-hand driving, so I hope you're not from the UK (you can just swap in the UK variants though). According to the list I keep of my folder structure, I have the TH bus sign model, the Roman timetable, a red shelter phonebooth, the long modern overhang for the GLR stations, a London Underground subway entrance, and the Big Blue bus stop.

Also, does anyone have any ideas about this? :sigh:

Autumncomet posted:

Agh, help me. :negative: Windows 8 Pro, Intel Core i5-2410M, graphics card is Intel HD Graphics 3000, 4GBs of RAM (it's a laptop). SimCity 4 was working perfectly well with just the -CPUCount:1 thing under Windows 7 Professional, but now, no matter how I run it (I've tried -CPUpriority:high, messing with the resolution, windowing, -d:Software...), it just won't start. As in, I can run it from Steam or the desktop and a window will pop up that says "GDriver Window - DirectX" and then its title changes to "SimCity 4" and then the window goes away and the game stops running. :confused:

It won't even get to the intro screen, and I've also tried -intro:off and -audio:off. All of my drivers are updated and windows 8 (64-bit) is fully updated. I've tried with and without plugins in the folder (and I nuked all of my saved games since I was planning on redoing my plugins anyway) and the same thing persists when I uninstall and reinstall via Steam. I've also tried running in XP service pack 3 and Windows 7 compatibility mode, but that doesn't do anything either. In fact, I don't even get the "GDriver Window - DirectX" thing with XP compatibility, just a black box that goes away after a few seconds. Every other game I've played in the meantime works well (I had to do some edits for KotOR I, but that's otherwise it). I have DirectX 11 and the only thing I can think of is that I need to download an earlier version of DirectX, I guess from Microsoft??

I've verified the game cache and nothing seems to be missing. When I open the task manager while the window is still up, it just says SimCity 4 is not responding. I just want to build cities. :(

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

For some reason I have 10000 Sims commuting to a city with nothing in it. It has less jobs than residents, but the commuters just flock to it like moths to a lantern.

e: interesting, none of these commuters are visible with the transportation route tool. What the gently caress?

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 21, 2013

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Inverness posted:

They're giving away free copies of SimCity 4? I thought they wanted people to actually play the new one. :smug:

Either way, more in the community can't be a bad thing.
I already had the game, but none of the other games they were offering looked that appealing and at least this way I don't have to insert three CDs to install it.

Oh well, could just try patching it I guess :)

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Paul.Power posted:

Oh well, could just try patching it I guess :)

Is there a readme.txt or an .ini file in the installation directory? That might give you the version number.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I would just like to thank the goons who created the mod packs. As soon as it was apparent that SC5 was not going to be what I wanted(though I didn't think it would be as horrible as it is) I dug my copy of SC4 out of storage and reinstalled it. Then I remembered that I should get some mods for it, but also remembered how much of a pain in the rear end it was the last time due to all of the missing dependencies. It is really nice to have everything all in one place again, so thank you. (as soon as they are done downloading that is. My crappy DSL connection sure gets upset at torrents and kills the connection periodically.

I just have a few questions about the mod pack content. Being a huge fan of railroads I used to enjoy having a realistic, and extensive rail network in my region. I used to have a ton of mods for railyards, and alternate locomotives so that my cities looked more realistic. Unfortunately they were some of the hardest to find dependencies for and if I remember correctly a lot of them require deps that are no longer available. Are there any rail related mods included in these mod packs?

Failing that, does anyone have any suggestions for rail related mods that they currently enjoy and recommend for downloading?

Finally, I was unable to find my actual disks for the game, so I logged the serial into steam so I could run it through there. Is there any issue associated with modding the game if it is running through steam?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There are several additional rail stations in the Old Fashioned pack, but not much else.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
One more question dealing with the game itself rather than mods. Is there a way to make it so that disasters are able to happen randomly? If I remember correctly, the only disasters that could occur were fire and riots(maybe earthquake?). It has been years since I have last played the game and I may have missed the setting, but is there anyway that I could make it so that lightning strikes and tornados are able to randomly occur like in SC:C to SC3K rather than have to be started randomly?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Complete noob problem:

I'm starting a city, and after a pop of about 1000 I cannot get the demand for Agriculture down at all. I've tried it both with and without the SPAM addon, and I can cover half the drat city with farms and nothing seems to help. What am I doing wrong?

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
You want LESS Agri demand?

Just stop zoning it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Complete noob problem:

I'm starting a city, and after a pop of about 1000 I cannot get the demand for Agriculture down at all. I've tried it both with and without the SPAM addon, and I can cover half the drat city with farms and nothing seems to help. What am I doing wrong?

You will always have agriculture demand with SPAM. If you build schools people stop wanting farms as much.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Iunnrais posted:

You want LESS Agri demand?
Uh, yeah, don't I? In SimCity games don't you want to generally keep the RCI graphs close to zero? The Ag bar is pegged to the top of the graph no matter what I do.

Plopped down a school, will see what that does.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Uh, yeah, don't I? In SimCity games don't you want to generally keep the RCI graphs close to zero? The Ag bar is pegged to the top of the graph no matter what I do.

Plopped down a school, will see what that does.

Zoning agriculture will just increase demand. If you want to kill Agriculture demand, zone a bunch of dirty industry.

Also, keeping your RCI graph close to zero isn't what you're "supposed" to do. You generally want a high demand in whatever you want to build.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
How the hell do you use the hole digger lots? I wanted to make a ditch, so I plopped some down on every second tile like the screenshots show. Then I tried to drag a road through it but it just says "unsuitable grade for construction". If I try it perpendicular to the lots it says "unsuitable area to build network".

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
In SC4, I rarely have any of the three bars near zero. I focus more on keeping the demands balanced then zero'd. So if R and I are maxed and C is halfway, I build more R and I. That sort of thing.

Having anything at zero would make me sad, because then I couldn't build it where I want to.

TheFluff posted:

How the hell do you use the hole digger lots? I wanted to make a ditch, so I plopped some down on every second tile like the screenshots show. Then I tried to drag a road through it but it just says "unsuitable grade for construction". If I try it perpendicular to the lots it says "unsuitable area to build network".

Place ONE digger lot. Connect ONE road to it. It will fail if you are too close to sealevel, as it won't dig into the aquifer.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Iunnrais posted:

It will fail if you are too close to sealevel, as it won't dig into the aquifer.

This was the problem, thanks for the help. That's annoying though. I guess I should build it elevated instead.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Huh. For some reason I was under the impression you got "penalized" somehow if the demand bars were too high. Thanks for the info.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Huh. For some reason I was under the impression you got "penalized" somehow if the demand bars were too high. Thanks for the info.

My understanding is that the bars represent how many people would like to move in or build a business in your city if they could. More demand isn't ever a bad thing.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
High demand is actually just Sims asking for a tax hike. Welcome to Obama's Simnation.

boji
Sep 6, 2003
Monkey hate clean.
I'm using the awesome region linked in the OP, but when I go out to region view, all my cities look like flattened green nothing.

Any fix for this? Apologies if it's already been addressed elsewhere.

edit: Somehow the problem resolved itself, hooray!

boji fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 22, 2013

Masa
Jun 20, 2003
Generic Newbie
Are there any guides for how to use the Dat Packer without getting horrible graphical glitches? Last time I tried it, this happened:

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You're not the only one, I played the game for a long time always trying to get the bars to 0 too. The agriculture demand bar irritated me for a long time.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Wait, so if the RCI bars just denote that people want that kind of thing to be zoned, but you still want to keep the bars high above 0 anyway, how are you supposed to know what to zone? Just whatever you like as long as the RCI bar for it is in demand?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
I zone whatever I drat well please and if the sims won't build on it I'm hopping into a military helicopter and leveling a suburb. Suck it down peasants.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wait, so if the RCI bars just denote that people want that kind of thing to be zoned, but you still want to keep the bars high above 0 anyway, how are you supposed to know what to zone? Just whatever you like as long as the RCI bar for it is in demand?

You decide what kind of city you want and zone correspondingly. The RCI indicator tells you what kinds of cities you can build, not what you must build. And if it doesn't support what you want, build services, amenities and otherwise adjust things until your dream city can be supported.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

boji posted:

I'm using the awesome region linked in the OP, but when I go out to region view, all my cities look like flattened green nothing.

Any fix for this? Apologies if it's already been addressed elsewhere.

edit: Somehow the problem resolved itself, hooray!

If you alt-tab or click out of the window while it's saving+exiting, the region view will be a flat grass tile. The city is fine. But you have to wait for it to save and go to region view before you go out of the SC4 window if you don't want to gently caress up region view.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

jadebullet posted:

Failing that, does anyone have any suggestions for rail related mods that they currently enjoy and recommend for downloading?

For added realism, I like catenary mod: the http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/21935-rail-catenary-mod-v3-hd-version/

But if you're like me and don't like that it is to bright there is a fix for it: http://workingman-productions.co.uk/downloads/rvt_faded_catenaries.asp

He also has a nice rail pack: http://workingman-productions.co.uk/downloads/rivit_german.html

Hope this get you started.

Maltor
Sep 24, 2011

Masa posted:

Are there any guides for how to use the Dat Packer without getting horrible graphical glitches? Last time I tried it, this happened:

Seconding this, I can never Dat Pack my mods without running into tons of broken references or just straight up instant CTDs.

But the performance gains are SO incredible...

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I forgot how enjoyable this game is. I have spent the last couple of hours working on terraforming my region and listening to the SC3K soundtrack. I haven't even started any cities yet, but I am still having a blast. Still, I wish that you could adjust the terraforming brush size other than zooming in and out.

That being said, I am probably being way too spergy about my region building. My current project while I take a break from mountain making, since that is a pain in the rear end, is making a series of smaller rivers and streams to feed into my larger river.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

jadebullet posted:

I forgot how enjoyable this game is. I have spent the last couple of hours working on terraforming my region and listening to the SC3K soundtrack. I haven't even started any cities yet, but I am still having a blast. Still, I wish that you could adjust the terraforming brush size other than zooming in and out.

That being said, I am probably being way too spergy about my region building. My current project while I take a break from mountain making, since that is a pain in the rear end, is making a series of smaller rivers and streams to feed into my larger river.

The secret is to just download a height map of an actual part of the world ans just skip the terraforming process.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

jadebullet posted:

Post pictures, this thread can't have enough pictures.

The goon region at PSG.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Giggily posted:

The secret is to just download a height map of an actual part of the world ans just skip the terraforming process.

Meh, I prefer doing stuff custom. It just feels more rewarding that way. Plus the area that I am setting my region in (Northeast PA) probably wouldn't transfer over well into Sim City because of all of the mountains.

Anyway, because it was requested, I took two pics of my region so far. (ignore the two different texture sets. I made the river while I was downloading the old fashioned pack and haven't updated it yet.)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

What are the rules for passenger trains in this? Are they more of a region thing or something?

I'm on my third city in the region, just trying to figure the game out, and my passenger trains are at like 3% capacity.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I am kind of disapointed that I can only find the soundtrack for SC3K on Amazon. At least I have that though, since that is the game I played the most when I was younger.

By the way, has anyone ever made a mod that would enable random disasters?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jadebullet posted:

Meh, I prefer doing stuff custom. It just feels more rewarding that way. Plus the area that I am setting my region in (Northeast PA) probably wouldn't transfer over well into Sim City because of all of the mountains.

Anyway, because it was requested, I took two pics of my region so far. (ignore the two different texture sets. I made the river while I was downloading the old fashioned pack and haven't updated it yet.)

Holy crap. You're going to upload this before you start building cities, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

jadebullet posted:

I am kind of disapointed that I can only find the soundtrack for SC3K on Amazon. At least I have that though, since that is the game I played the most when I was younger.

The SC3000 soundtrack is on Spotify, if you have that: http://open.spotify.com/album/1oOsNeGfkAKvYZ3RvSs0Ie

• Locked thread