Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

The player + guest + rotating guest model worked well in the Metroid LP because the player (clearly) had no idea what he was doing most of the time, and having multiple people providing commentary made it very involving. It's a bit "off" here, because it's prerecorded, so the Retsupurae attitude of snark takes over, though it manifests itself somewhat differently.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, though, so if you've got the energy to keep doing it, you should, and having rotating additional guests is welcome.

But, Slowbeef needs to keeps pronouncing it like "marry-oh". Not having him do that is strangely weird and uncomfortable. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
(Mostly kidding)

Clearly what we need is a rotating cast of LP-All Stars. Vicas, Psychedelic Eyeball, Medibot, Ragny...etc. etc. etc. It'd be a logistical nightmare to plan and schedule, but I'd expect no less of Diabetus.

(/mostly kidding)

(Serious version: IDK, man, do whatever works for you guys. You could literally have slowbeef doing a dramatic reading of horribad real person fanfic* over the gameplay and I'd watch that, too.)

*though if slowbeef actually did that, I think he'd have to ban himself

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I feel like Slowbeef is fine, but best taken in moderation. Rotating would be preferable.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
Part of me wants to support the aforementioned thread guest thing, given how neat guestpurae has been. However that seems like it could just open up a multitude of problems. :(

withheldmcfakename
Oct 30, 2011

did you know that
knuckles once smoked
out of a bong made
out of a disco ball?
Slowbeef and a third. Toffile mentioned playing this to completion during Echoes, why not have him come in and lie to you about where the green stars are and what not?

tentril
May 9, 2012
I'm interested to hear some commentary from this "Beetus" that everyone is mentioning. I want a Betus and Beetus video.

Honestly though the rotating third idea seems pretty solid. Do that.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Action Shakespeare posted:

Part of me wants to support the aforementioned thread guest thing, given how neat guestpurae has been. However that seems like it could just open up a multitude of problems. :(

Mico's thread guest thing with Galaxy 1 went okay. I can only think of one guest off hand that was absolutely terrible, and the commentary was later re-recorded with someone else. Several people were never on Skype, but the list of volunteers was long enough to just skip to the next.

Of course, with this random thread volunteers might get all star struck and freeze up.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Anoia posted:

Mico's thread guest thing with Galaxy 1 went okay. I can only think of one guest off hand that was absolutely terrible, and the commentary was later re-recorded with someone else. Several people were never on Skype, but the list of volunteers was long enough to just skip to the next.

Of course, with this random thread volunteers might get all star struck and freeze up.

I was pretty bad at Quality Control at the beginning. Open guest signups is really a gamble and I'm never doing it again.

IGotMine
Feb 12, 2009

Anoia posted:

ohmygodohmygodohmygod I've been waiting so long for this moment to come. Finally, those countless hours of practicing my laugh to slowbeef's pithy remarks will pay off!

Perhaps I am a fool, but is this an excessively common occurrence? I thought the communitarian groundswell technocratic paradigm shift had rendered star shock a thing of the past in the age of internet celebrity. Isn't our love of Diabetus really just an expression of our love for ourselves, John Q. Everyman?

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

IGotMine posted:

ohmygodohmygodohmygod I've been waiting so long for this moment to come. Finally, those countless hours of practicing my laugh to slowbeef's pithy remarks will pay off!

I bet you somebody somewhere is actually doing this right now.

Oh! I've got it! Please get Lime Popsicle to guest. I'd say Billy MC, but he's probably too famous now.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

In a perfect world, Billy and Lime would not guest, but retsupurae it after the fact. Probably singing the whole time.

Enormatron
Dec 22, 2009

Mazed posted:

In a perfect world, Billy and Lime would not guest, but retsupurae it after the fact. Probably singing the whole time.

If Billy and Lime RP anything, it should be from the Metroid Prime LP, particularly one of the wandering around aimlessly videos. Hopefully Billy will read the Metroid Wiki ahead of time so they'll have trivia to discuss while they do it.

e:Actually, beef and betus should RP that together with them. It'll be meta as hell.

Enormatron fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 21, 2013

Azriel Odin
Jun 3, 2011

Somehow I knew this was gonna happen.
Slowbeef and Diabetus talking over themselves would also probably be confusing as hell.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

IGotMine posted:

Perhaps I am a fool, but is this an excessively common occurrence? I thought the communitarian groundswell technocratic paradigm shift had rendered star shock a thing of the past in the age of internet celebrity. Isn't our love of Diabetus really just an expression of our love for ourselves, John Q. Everyman?
I think it's less "star-struck" and more "I'm not funny or interesting enough to keep up with this guy."

withheldmcfakename
Oct 30, 2011

did you know that
knuckles once smoked
out of a bong made
out of a disco ball?
The guys have dismissed a teamup with Billy and Lime on a few occasions as being more awkward than funny. That said, if Billy and Lime have a dark, rebellious phase and want to RP a Beef 'n Betus video they can go right ahead as far as I'm concerned!

"Diabetus sure is having trouble with this star! What a chump!"
"Gosh Billy, you sure aren't holding back!"
"I know, I know, I apologise if he's watching of course, I-I'm just saying he's going a little slow..."

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!

withheldmcfakename posted:

The guys have dismissed a teamup with Billy and Lime on a few occasions as being more awkward than funny. That said, if Billy and Lime have a dark, rebellious phase and want to RP a Beef 'n Betus video they can go right ahead as far as I'm concerned!

"Diabetus sure is having trouble with this star! What a chump!"
"Gosh Billy, you sure aren't holding back!"
"I know, I know, I apologise if he's watching of course, I-I'm just saying he's going a little slow..."

"That face pun was only average!"
"Gosh, Billy, I can't believe you're being so harsh."

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

Azriel Odin posted:

Slowbeef and Diabetus talking over themselves would also probably be confusing as hell.

They could both do the Ridley voice to differentiate between the LP and RP.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
All y'all are forgetting Billy's Motto: Don't RP the LP :3:

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Enormatron posted:

If Billy and Lime RP anything, it should be from the Metroid Prime LP, particularly one of the wandering around aimlessly videos. Hopefully Billy will read the Metroid Wiki ahead of time so they'll have trivia to discuss while they do it.

e:Actually, beef and betus should RP that together with them. It'll be meta as hell.

Didn't one of those videos include Slowbeef pseudo-ranting about Billy not guesting in one of those LPs? It's been a long time since I watched them, but I'm pretty sure I remember that in either Prime or Echoes.

IGotMine
Feb 12, 2009

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

They could both do the Ridley voice to differentiate between the LP and RP.

So the RP would be the one without the Ridley voiceover?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Would it be a good idea to have a SMG2 LP, with a scarecam?

where the "face" is the Super Mario 64 opening mini-game synched as best as you can to what's happening in the video

Sorry if that idea's been mentioned, and sorry I can't do it myself...

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Gensuki posted:

Would it be a good idea to have a SMG2 LP, with a scarecam?

where the "face" is the Super Mario 64 opening mini-game synched as best as you can to what's happening in the video

Sorry if that idea's been mentioned, and sorry I can't do it myself...
Goddammit NO, do NOT suggest a scarecam near anything where Blister has been. :cripes:

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

FinalGamer posted:

Goddammit NO, do NOT suggest a scarecam near anything where Blister has been. :cripes:

That was the funniest video in the entire LP though. Except for maybe the one with A Wooden Palisade and Ambisagrus, and one of the people told that story about a senior slapping them in the rear end while naked with a towel and calling them gay.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Pungry posted:

That was the funniest video in the entire LP though. Except for maybe the one with A Wooden Palisade and Ambisagrus, and one of the people told that story about a senior slapping them in the rear end while naked with a towel and calling them gay.

Explain. Now. I need to know

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I think we can now officially declare the thread derailed.

Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012

Neruz posted:

I think we can now officially declare the thread derailed.

I think it would be better to say we are off course. Maybe even that we have a problem out here in space.

Zabrien
Jul 31, 2011

Garbonix posted:

I think it would be better to say we are off course. Maybe even that we have a problem out here in space.

You mean out here in face?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So I was thinking: the Hammer Bros are one of those enemies that really don't work in 3D. They were by far the most annoying thing in Mario I and in Lost Levels, and could still kind of be dicks in Mario 3 if you didn't have a powerup and they were stationed in an advantageous place. In Galaxy 2, they look like total wimps because you can dodge the hammers to the left and right rather than have to time your way under them.

Also, Slowbeef should continue pronouncing Mario his way.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Patter Song posted:

In Galaxy 2, they look like total wimps because you can dodge the hammers to the left and right rather than have to time your way under them.

Oh ho ho, you'd think they would stay that easy, and yet...(Completionists of this game will no doubt know what I am referring to.)

Also, they can be real dicks in some of the later Super Mario 3D Land levels.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Patter Song posted:

So I was thinking: the Hammer Bros are one of those enemies that really don't work in 3D. They were by far the most annoying thing in Mario I and in Lost Levels, and could still kind of be dicks in Mario 3 if you didn't have a powerup and they were stationed in an advantageous place. In Galaxy 2, they look like total wimps because you can dodge the hammers to the left and right rather than have to time your way under them.

Part of the problem with the Hammer Bros in the Galaxy titles is that, aside from the wider range to dodge, they attack much slower than they did in the 2D games. If they kept on attacking with a constant stream of hammers like they used to, they'd be a lot trickier to take down. Still, like Color said, a few of them are still dicks.

Diabetus
Jul 5, 2004

:mario: Part XV - Tall Trunk/Freezy Flake/Haunty Halls revisited :mario:

Baldurdash / YouTube
(guests: slowbeef & Cherrydoom)

Enormatron
Dec 22, 2009
I've been waiting for this video. So ArgonMatrix, is it possible to do the comet in Tall Trunk and get every purple coin? Also, would you be able to get them all for the other purple coin comets with more than 100?

Serperoth posted:

I don't think it would be. There was a part in which there was a double line of coins, as well as the main "path" of them, running parallel. To get one would mean you miss the other.
I could be wrong, but I had the same question, and then saw the part I mentioned.

I know about that. The reason I asked AM if it's possible is because the videos he makes include some pretty ridiculous exploits of game mechanics.

Enormatron fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 7, 2013

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Enormatron posted:

I've been waiting for this video. So ArgonMatrix, is it possible to do the comet in Tall Trunk and get every purple coin? Also, would you be able to get them all for the other purple coin comets with more than 100?

I don't think it would be. There was a part in which there was a double line of coins, as well as the main "path" of them, running parallel. To get one would mean you miss the other.
I could be wrong, but I had the same question, and then saw the part I mentioned.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

All those wonderful puns. All that Slowbeef rage.

I hope this LP never ends. :allears:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Serperoth posted:

You can probably move up the slide like you could in Mario 64.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

The entire video, I kept expecting you and slowbeef to have a falling out similar to Chip & Ironicus' No More Heroes LP. Except not fake.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
This LP is the closest thing you can get to watching new episodes of 'Married with children'. A++ Would Watch Again!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Diabetus, your puns are tearing the LP family apart! :qq:

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
This video is like walking into a room halfway through an argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You should have heard them in the newest Retsu video. Please don't fight, guys. Keep fighting, it's hilarious.

• Locked thread