Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BoutrosBoutros posted:

I don't really get the big deal about that one. Girl wants to go to camp, and other people want to pay for it. Are we really scraping the bottom of the bucket so hard that this is considered terrible?

I'm pretty certain the kid doesn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

my game will be more age appropriate than the games I'm stuck playing

quote:

It's no secret there aren't enough females in STEM professions

quote:

my Mom has to hire programmers and developers sometimes for her work. She's really glad I like computers and programming because she says as a business person she feels like she's held hostage by developers

That's totally how a 9 years old girl talks.
Love the 2nd comment though:

quote:

I like 9 year olds. I think "9" is a pretty cool age. I don't really play RPGs anymore. But I like and support people that prove people wrong.

Are they trying to push their poo poo merchandise or stir buzz around the super awesome rpgmaker camp ?

content:
Ever felt like not playing golf because reasons ? This fine old man has the perfect assemblage of pvc pipes for you http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1626277825/the-drutter?ref=recently_launched

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

BoutrosBoutros posted:

I don't really get the big deal about that one. Girl wants to go to camp, and other people want to pay for it. Are we really scraping the bottom of the bucket so hard that this is considered terrible?

It is literally "fund my lifestyle" which is against the kickstarter TOS, and the whole thing feels like monetizing the hell out of a kid's upbringing.

I do not like the execution at all, on the other hand I think if the kid is looped in on all of this it is basically a great way to kickstart (unintentional) the kid's awareness and training in social media marketing.

ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013

Why is his title image so jpg-ed?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Pomp posted:

That's some grade A viral marketing.

Viral marketing for a summer camp that teaches kids to use one of the user-friendliest game design programs out there. Holy Hell, screw whatever this campaign is, the person who set up that summer camp is BRILLIANT.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

unpacked robinhood posted:

Ever felt like not playing golf because reasons ? This fine old man has the perfect assemblage of pvc pipes for you http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1626277825/the-drutter?ref=recently_launched

"A family of four can now play with only one Drutter." I have never seen this family.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

content:

Wouldn't most golf courses have issues with people using slingshots to play 'golf'?

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!
Man, where the gently caress was 'RPG Camp' when I was a kid?

I had to go to stupid Jesus camp. At least we got to swim I guess.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

quote:

My name is Mackenzie Wilson and I'm 9 but because you have to be 18 to have a project on Kickstarter, I'm partnering with my mom, Susan Wilson who told me to say she's 29 but I made her a birthday cake last week so I know she's 43.
shit_that_didnt_happen.txt

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

cyberia posted:

Wouldn't most golf courses have issues with people using slingshots to play 'golf'?

Wouldn't most golf courses have problems with slingshots in general?

Although I do (conceptually, not monetarily) support this idea, because I see it as the successor to lawn darts as "most dangerous family game."

makomk
Jul 16, 2011
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/914635363/lace-anchors-20-a-simple-design-for-simple-people - there's probably nothing awful about the product itself, but is it just me or is the title of this Kickstarter a bit off?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Kaizoku posted:

Wouldn't most golf courses have problems with slingshots in general?

Although I do (conceptually, not monetarily) support this idea, because I see it as the successor to lawn darts as "most dangerous family game."

Yeah, I really only want one so I can terrorize my neighborhood with my new artillery.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

The Human Crouton posted:

Yeah, I really only want one so I can terrorize my neighborhood with my new artillery.

quote:

As the video shows, it consists of a sturdy slingshot on top of a telescopic shaft to shoot the golf ball cherry bomb forward

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Yo who wants a super-racist manga clone?

Meet Shaniqua No Ho.

Quoting this because the project's creators have taken their ball and gone home. Too bad, Shaniqua no Ho, you were 1/20 of the way there!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

miguelito posted:

I don't know what amazes me more - the ingenuity of some scammers, or the stupidity of the internet.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/susanwilson/9-year-old-building-an-rpg-to-prove-her-brothers-w?ref=category

The gist: White middle-class mom wants 900 bucks for her :3: widdle daughter (who plays on PS3 and Kindle HD) to visit RPG Camp so she can make an RPG. This is because a.) her brothers called her a poopyhead and this is clearly the best solution and b.) it's a meaningful step to make "Girls in Tech" (verbatim quote from the thumbnail) more relevant.

The first reason would classify this as a light-hearted parody kickstarter, the second one however is just impossible to fathom in human thoughts.

There is a week long camp where people are taught to use RPG Maker? That has to be a giant racket but if it's not also being run by the people behind that camp I'll be really loving surprised.

I imagine the camp is like this:

Day 1, hour 1: Introduction to RPG Maker.
Day 1, hour 2: No really, you're done with the introduction.
Day 2-7: Make your game while we count money.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

makomk posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/914635363/lace-anchors-20-a-simple-design-for-simple-people - there's probably nothing awful about the product itself, but is it just me or is the title of this Kickstarter a bit off?

Oh man, where have these been all my life? For whatever reason I just cannot tie a lace so that it'll hold.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

A slingshot? This guy has obviously never met a bored college student nor heard of potato gun golfing. With PGG, your biggest concern is how to fit 18 holes worth of beer into one backpack. The putter superglued to this jackass' slingshot is awful. When potato gun golfing, you don't have to fret the lovely putting part of golf: When you're on the green and aiming at the ground 10 feet in front of you, everything goes in the hole. Okay, it won't be in the hole, but it'll definitely be in a hole of some sort. Everybody is Tiger Woods when playing PGG. Hell, it takes calculation and talent not to overshoot the green by 100 yards.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Mercury Hat posted:

Quoting this because the project's creators have taken their ball and gone home. Too bad, Shaniqua no Ho, you were 1/20 of the way there!

There is a mea culpa there in the updates section as well. Looks like they're going scorched earth on the whole project:

A couple of sad otaku posted:

To whoever may read this, let us start by apologizing. We were naive, privileged, and stupid. While we're sure we would have eventually reached our goal, we realized, after deep reflection, that it wouldn't have been right. As such, we've suspended the project, and we will be reporting ourselves to Kickstarter as violating their terms of service. We've already begun disassembling our Tumblr, Facebook, and Blogger accounts. We'll remove the website as soon as we can. We would remove the Kickstarter project itself, but they are kept up indefinitely once launched. If we can find a way to have it removed, we will. If not, all we can say is that our apology will be on display along with our mistake as an example for others.

We would also like to thank the people who, despite their very justified rage at our callous and unthinking behavior, were willing to take a moment to help us understand what we did wrong. They were under no obligation to do so, and we had no reason to expect that kindness. They were willing to take on that burden, and we owe them a debt. Thank you, and we cannot apologize enough for the harm we caused.

It's a hollow apology, but we never meant to offend. You hear that so often, but it never makes it any better. We wanted to make manga with an empowered, capable woman as the protagonist. We wanted to make a comic that showed a brown skinned woman in a leading role like Luffy and Goku. We wanted to change the conversation about sex workers by making them respectable and powerful. We wanted to do it by parodying a genre we love very much. We thought we'd been careful with problematic elements in the script by asking women and sex workers for feedback while we were working. We were wrong.

These are all excuses, and nothing can change the fact that we were in the wrong. We had good intentions, but it is very, very obvious that we failed. Noble intentions aren’t good enough; we didn't check our privilege nearly enough to consider the pain and damage we would do and have done with this comic. We understand that people are angry and will be angry; they have every right to be. We hosed up.

We're sorry, and we promise that we will try our best to do better in the future. We will learn from our mistakes. We're not asking for forgiveness or a pat on the back because we “learned something” at so many people's emotional distress. We were stupid, and we deserve anger and disgust that we've seen over the past few days. We can see that very clearly now. We're sorry, and we can't say it enough.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1116321106/shaniqua-no-ho-0/posts

At least it appears they've become cognizant of the fact that their project was racist and naive.

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

There is a week long camp where people are taught to use RPG Maker? That has to be a giant racket but if it's not also being run by the people behind that camp I'll be really loving surprised.

I imagine the camp is like this:

Day 1, hour 1: Introduction to RPG Maker.
Day 1, hour 2: No really, you're done with the introduction.
Day 2-7: Make your game while we count money.

Even if that's all it was it wouldn't be too ridiculous. I went to boy scout summer camp most years as a kid and all it was was older kids taught us merit badge poo poo. They did it for free room and board over the week. It cost about the same amount as this kickstarter's goal. Of course, kickstarter wasn't a thing at the time, so we had to pay for it by various fundraisers over the year but you can't really do that as an individual person.

Acrylic Squirrel
Apr 7, 2007

That appeals to me more than golf itself.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Beanpants posted:

There is a mea culpa there in the updates section as well. Looks like they're going scorched earth on the whole project:

At least it appears they've become cognizant of the fact that their project was racist and naive.

Yeah, assuming they're sincere they're acting a lot more maturely than a lot of people I've met.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!
Those wacky men and their antics!

Though I have to admit, the guy seems pretty sincere so I'm having a hard time summoning any real animosity.

Another lazy effort to get a boring children's book self-published. At least this one isn't about the 'armor of God,' which seemed to be everywhere a few months ago on Kickstarter. And I've seen way worse art than what she's put together (though her obvious copy-paste job on the kids' faces doesn't help).

Foyes36 has a new favorite as of 05:08 on Mar 22, 2013

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Pomp posted:

I'm pretty certain the kid doesn't exist.

I want to make a bunch of Kickstarters in the voice of a cat.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Beanpants posted:

"We were naive, privileged, and stupid." Looks like someone checked their privilege :smugissar:

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Alan Smithee posted:

"We were naive, privileged, and stupid." Looks like someone checked their privilege :smugissar:
"While we're sure we would have eventually reached our goal..."

Hahaahhah

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

miguelito posted:

I don't know what amazes me more - the ingenuity of some scammers, or the stupidity of the internet.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/susanwilson/9-year-old-building-an-rpg-to-prove-her-brothers-w?ref=category

The gist: White middle-class mom wants 900 bucks for her :3: widdle daughter (who plays on PS3 and Kindle HD) to visit RPG Camp so she can make an RPG. This is because a.) her brothers called her a poopyhead and this is clearly the best solution and b.) it's a meaningful step to make "Girls in Tech" (verbatim quote from the thumbnail) more relevant.

The first reason would classify this as a light-hearted parody kickstarter, the second one however is just impossible to fathom in human thoughts.

That DnD crap must be fake. Who plays a paladin without a deity? Have fun without your powers, kid.

Edit: looking at the KS in question and the comments in the thread, the kid must be fake, too. My sister is 9 and interested in STEM, and she doesn't talk like that.

Uhhh: Holy cow, 10k for that?

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 08:58 on Mar 22, 2013

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)
Awww, lil' Kenzie is at 10k already with no signs of stopping.

Jen Roberts posted:

Have fun @ RPG camp, Kenzie, and I hope your brothers enjoy their heaping helping of crow they get to eat now!

Blonadine Taylor-Straggi posted:

I used to play so much RPG maker when I was younger, though it was an older version! Have fun at coding camp, show the boys how to do it and I'm excited to play your game when it's finished!

Scott Kirby posted:

Greetings from Malaysia, Mackenzie! Looking forward to seeing the finished game, and please make sure you remind your brothers every day just how cool and successful you are hahahahaha

You go little grrl!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Honestly the whole thing seems fishy, not once do any of the family members show up and the whole presentation is done using relatively professional motion graphics. It just doesn't strike me as the real deal

TheBigGinger
Dec 6, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

Honestly the whole thing seems fishy, not once do any of the family members show up and the whole presentation is done using relatively professional motion graphics. It just doesn't strike me as the real deal

:ughh: That's because it's fake.

TheBigGinger has a new favorite as of 15:08 on Mar 22, 2013

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Well you should back this project so she does'nt become a mildly attractive middle-aged lady married to a guy, because guys suck, with glasses and stuff.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Well you should back this project so she does'nt become a mildly attractive middle-aged lady married to a guy, because guys suck, with glasses and stuff.

I think it's so that you don't become a trophy wife married to some nasty old dude.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Alan Smithee posted:

I think my "son" wants to dress up like Princess Peach because some bullies told him he couldn't. Time to get my kickstarter going, you don't donate to it, you don't support gender equality!

Princess Peach Outfit to be provided by Spirit Halloween. Spirit Halloween was founded out of the observation of a trend on the verge of explosion. Since the opening of its first store in 1983, Spirit has experienced tremendous growth. In 1999 Spirit Halloween operated 63 seasonal locations throughout the United States and was acquired by Spencer Gifts LLC. Since its acquisition Spirit has expanded its store base from 63 locations to over 1,000 for the 2012 season and has become the largest Halloween specialty store on the planet! Spirit Halloween stores are situated in high visibility, high-traffic strip centers. The typical store opens around Labor Day weekend and closes in early November. Spirit Halloween Superstores are located in 49 states and Canada in all major markets.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone know what camp this kickstarter is trying to raise money to attend? When I search for RPG camp all I find are larp-style camps, and links back to the kickstarter.

I was kinda hoping it was like some sort of al-queda rpg camp.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Madcosby posted:

Anyone know what camp this kickstarter is trying to raise money to attend? When I search for RPG camp all I find are larp-style camps, and links back to the kickstarter.

I was kinda hoping it was like some sort of al-queda rpg camp.

If you go to step 2 on this page http://www.internaldrive.com/locations/md-summer-camps-maryland-computer-camps/towson-university-baltimore-camp/ you can see the course. It's at least researched well if it's a fake.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

neongrey posted:

Oh man, where have these been all my life? For whatever reason I just cannot tie a lace so that it'll hold.

Have you ever seen this site? http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/slipping.htm

Basically you tie the second half of your knot the opposite of the way you've been doing it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Drinking Dom P Out Of A Diaper got shut down because of the controlled substances involved.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

Drinking Dom P Out Of A Diaper got shut down because of the controlled substances involved.

hahah what? Didn't they have some KS for the champagne and piano? Granted they didnt drink it

monkey4love
Sep 28, 2008

Noyemi K posted:

That DnD crap must be fake. Who plays a paladin without a deity? Have fun without your powers, kid.

Edit: looking at the KS in question and the comments in the thread, the kid must be fake, too. My sister is 9 and interested in STEM, and she doesn't talk like that.

Uhhh: Holy cow, 10k for that?

For 10K 'the brothers' will send you a personal apology. Limit of 5, so act fast.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

What's the difference between drinking champagne out of a diaper and drinking beer out of a giant Princeton-themed robot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Probably the sending the diaper if someone bid on that. Since there'd still be alcohol present.

Man, the internet produces some strange loving sentences I'd never expect to type :v: