Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Alphius posted:

friction with the pin during a lifted state.

I'm no Honda engineer (nor have I ripped apart my F22C yet), but the mechanical force required to displace the pin while the two outside rockers aren't riding their lobes is going to be significantly higher than when they're supported. I think you'd need to put deliberate effort into doing it wrong in order to get that pin to move such that the rockers dropped to the lobe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
More importantly, where the hell does the pin that locks them together come from and how does it get in there?

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Dave Inc. posted:

More importantly, where the hell does the pin that locks them together come from and how does it get in there?

Think of it like the cylinder in a lock if you're familiar with that.

The pin is cut in three places, such that the cuts align with the gaps between the three rockers and everything moves freely. If you offset the three pin-segments slightly, then they start to mechanically bind the three rockers to travel together.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Also:

Wikipedia posted:

The switch-over point is variable, between a minimum and maximum point, and is determined by engine load. The switch-down back from high to low RPM cams is set to occur at a lower engine speed than the switch-up (representing a hysteresis cycle) to avoid a situation in which the engine is asked to operate continuously at or around the switch-over point.

The guess that I'd make from this is also that it's timed electronically to occur when the followers are in contact with all three lobes.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I don't understand how the pin can get rammed in there while the engine is spinning without some issues - I am guessing that diagram is a simplification for the purposes of explaining the system, though.

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc800hkqY2M

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

kastein posted:

I don't understand how the pin can get rammed in there while the engine is spinning without some issues - I am guessing that diagram is a simplification for the purposes of explaining the system, though.

There isn't very much force at all on the rocker arms. The pin is made of hardened steel and only needs a small amount of oil pressure against it, it just slips in when the holes line up. The speed difference between the small and large rocker arms is minimal. There isn't much force involved at all; motorbike gearboxes use the same principle to engage gears where the forces and relative speed difference is much greater and have no problem.

Incidentally, the toyota vvtL-i system does the exact same thing as v-tec but in a different way so as to circumvent the patents. Both lobes are in contact with the same big rocker arm (which sits underneath the cam), except the follower pad thing touching the bigger lobe is constantly collapsed and doesn't do anything. At the appropriate rpm oil pressure fills the rocker arm and the pad is filled rigid, allowing the larger lobe to act on the rocker as a whole. It's basically a hydraulic lifter which can be collapsed on command.

Alphius
Nov 5, 2009

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

I'm no Honda engineer (nor have I ripped apart my F22C yet), but the mechanical force required to displace the pin while the two outside rockers aren't riding their lobes is going to be significantly higher than when they're supported. I think you'd need to put deliberate effort into doing it wrong in order to get that pin to move such that the rockers dropped to the lobe.

I completely agree.

The more I think about it the more I think that when oil pressure is released, the pin stays locked in to the high lift rocker due to friction until the valve is at minimum lift and the tension (and therefore friction) is relieved from the pin, at which time it retracts and VTEC is disengaged on that cylinder without the harsh drop to the cam if the pin was forcefully retracted while the valve was open.

The application of oil pressure should lock all vales into high lift within two crank revolutions, and when it is released within two revolutions all valves will be back on low lift.

As far as hysteresis goes, they just don't want you holding right at VTEC activation and flipping back and forth; so VTEC engage would hypothetically be set at say 4500 RPM and disengage would be 4400 RPM to keep it from quickly activating and deactivating when you are right at the switch point. Same thing as ECU controlled electric fan on/off temperatures and TCC lockup on auto vehicles.

Krakkles posted:

Also:

The guess that I'd make from this is also that it's timed electronically to occur when the followers are in contact with all three lobes.

This would be impossible since there is only one VTEC solenoid for all rockers, and there is never a time when all the rockers for every cylinder are in contact with all three lobes. Some valves will be open at all times.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
http://www.theonion.com/articles/man-with-strong-brand-loyalty-willing-to-kill-for,31761/%5C

I've never actually owned a Mazda (driven quite a few), but I would support this.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Ugh, I'm being trolled by Jalopnik.

I like the idea, but apparently Corvette and Camaro aren't names worth keeping, while poo poo like the Vega and Biscayne that no one alive remembers get ressurected? While the new Camaro may be more of a Chevelle in spirit it's very dsitinctly styled as a Camaro, so that would be troublesome.

This was posted in the comments, which is better, except I would replace the Spark with Chevette, as historically the Chevette was the cheapest car in the lineup.

But that leaves no room for Corsica, Lumina and Celebrity. :(

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 22, 2013

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

That and I figured the Aveo would be a name GM would want to distance themselves from. Of course I was under the impression that the Sonic was a completely different car from the Aveo but Wikipedia is telling me it's just the second gen Aveo. :confused: I thought the Sonic was getting great reviews but we'll see how they hold up a few years down the line.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

The first Aveos were unmitigated poo poo the moment they rolled off the assembly line.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The Aveo doesn't have as much heritage, true, but it's called the Aveo in every other market in the world and has been for a while so in the interest of continuity it's probably better to keep it.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
pour()
done

Throatwarbler posted:

:cripes: About two-thirds of that image is complete poo poo.

"Task Force" is the name of the cheap off-brand tools they sell at Lowes. The name also sounds like a total gimmick because they want you to think their truck is doing Important Things(tm).

And "Advance Design", what the gently caress? I don't see what's so bad about "Avalanche".

"Kingswood Estate". It's an SUV, not a stuffy manor in the Scottish countryside.

It also goes without saying that if they drop the Corvette name, they will have taken a huge, steaming dump on a successful and well-established brand.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Awesome cars don't need to idle well.

2011 Le Mans 787B lap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81zhOQ5PvaE

Dan Millen pegging a dyno
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHDzGLjYh4M

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Why is a picture of dropping the name Corvette and bringing back car names that nobody in the current car buying market remembers in this thread? That picture clearly goes in awful automotive poo poo. Those names read like a Grand Theft Auto designer created them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cenodoxus posted:

"Task Force" is the name of the cheap off-brand tools they sell at Lowes. The name also sounds like a total gimmick because they want you to think their truck is doing Important Things(tm).

And "Advance Design", what the gently caress? I don't see what's so bad about "Avalanche".

"Kingswood Estate". It's an SUV, not a stuffy manor in the Scottish countryside.

It also goes without saying that if they drop the Corvette name, they will have taken a huge, steaming dump on a successful and well-established brand.

:colbert:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I have found the russian holdbrooks :stare:

:nws: ads http://www.yaplakal.com/forum2/st/0/topic555998.html

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I saw this at the supermarket and it made me smile.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Throatwarbler posted:

Why the hell does anyone even click on that sack of poo poo website?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

jonathan posted:

Awesome cars don't need to idle well.

2011 Le Mans 787B lap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81zhOQ5PvaE
I doubt they do any more, but as recently as 9 years ago, you could ask your friendly neighbourhood Mazda dealership to order you in a 26B crate motor from Hiroshima. This would cost you approximately $110,000. I worked for Mazda Australia at the time, and my boss had the parts catalogue with the entry in it on his desk permanently. I think it was his dream to put one of them into a drag car.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
pour()
done

I appreciate how in this picture they've teetered a car up on two sidewalls and braced it with a flimsy piece of pipe, yet someone felt that it would be WAY too unsafe to work on this vehicle without wheel chocks.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
Helped my wife's parents move into a new condo in Miami and this was parked in the same tiny parking lot:

At first I thought it was a terrible Koen'g repo but then I checked their website and it's not really terrible.

Homepage: http://www.ddrmotorsport.com/index.php

From their flickr page, the interior, a little spartan:

If nothing else, hot chick: http://www.flickr.com/photos/63724961@N04/6123233809/in/photostream

netwerk23 fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 22, 2013

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

No plates?

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
FL has no front plates, and the rear could be hidden in the shadow under that valence. In the three days I was there it never moved, and the neighbor kid said he hadn't seen it moved recently either. It was clean though, so someone is caring for it.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Anjow posted:

I saw this at the supermarket and it made me smile.

Dammit, I want a Hilux. I see them when I travel, then I get back to the US and I am sad.

VanNuys
Feb 25, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

Powershift posted:

I have found the russian holdbrooks :stare:

Wow, that thing looks awesome in the green he repaints it in. It's probably a loving riot to drive too.

EDIT: It's also loving hilarious how he digs it out of the snow mid thread.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

kimbo305 posted:

Cherry Shadow ES:

The owner popped out of the bar next to where it was parked to brag about it. I'm assuming it had the turbo but he didn't specifically say he had it. He said he was thinking about shipping it to Puerto Rico and selling it for a profit.

It may have been debaged, stuff swapped, but if it was a turbo car, it would have had a badge on the fender and a hood bulge with stickers on the sides, most of them with the refreshed front end like that were either 2.5L NA or the Mitsu V6.

4 Door, Turbo, "refreshed front" Shadows are very, very rare. Most P-Body survivors these days are the V6 That would have a v6 badge too, so I would guess its the NA 2.5.

God I know way too much about a car nobody cares about.

There is a 72 Year old lady I check in every so often who has a ~32K 4 Door with the super-rare Variable Turbo, T-IV Motor in it. Possibly the world's rarest Turbo Dodge that isn't a Shelby. My friend who works AAA found it one day about it when he was called in to put a battery in it. They were apparently built 10 for Chrysler Execs, and this one ended up in the Used-Car auction circuit where she bought it in 95. Hope to buy it before she drives it into the side of a bank.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 22, 2013

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Mighty Horse posted:

You've made this day a special day by just your being you. There's no person in the whole world like you. And I like you just the way you are.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Paul Boz_ posted:

Those names read like a Grand Theft Auto designer created them.

This strikes me at the most GTA car I've seen in real life. It looks like a bunch of different cars melded together, has this completely amorphous name, and the interior isn't very detailed. I want to just open the door, toss out whoever was inside, and drive away until I got where I was going then just abandon it.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
pour()
done

davebo posted:

and the interior isn't very detailed.
The interior is very :smith: indeed. I've seen better detail and styling in arcade simulators.

It is a kit car though, so they (unfortunately) sacrificed a good deal of interior styling and detail in the name of low cost and easy assembly. Anyone with the skills and tools to build one should be able to dress up the interior to their liking.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

davebo posted:

This strikes me at the most GTA car I've seen in real life. It looks like a bunch of different cars melded together, has this completely amorphous name, and the interior isn't very detailed. I want to just open the door, toss out whoever was inside, and drive away until I got where I was going then just abandon it.

9/10ths of the exterior is pure McLaren F1. The other 1/10th of the car ruins it :(

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Mighty Horse posted:

It may have been debaged, stuff swapped, but if it was a turbo car, it would have had a badge on the fender and a hood bulge with stickers on the sides, most of them with the refreshed front end like that were either 2.5L NA or the Mitsu V6.

4 Door, Turbo, "refreshed front" Shadows are very, very rare. Most P-Body survivors these days are the V6 That would have a v6 badge too, so I would guess its the NA 2.5.

There is a 72 Year old lady I check in every so often who has a ~32K 4 Door with the super-rare Variable Turbo, T-IV Motor in it. Possibly the world's rarest Turbo Dodge that isn't a Shelby. My friend who works AAA found it one day about it when he was called in to put a battery in it. They were apparently built 10 for Chrysler Execs, and this one ended up in the Used-Car auction circuit where she bought it in 95. Hope to buy it before she drives it into the side of a bank.

My first car was a Shadow with a 2.5 NA. It was so slow, but would just keep on going. I always keep my eye out for a turbo one to buy, but it's pretty much impossible to find a clean one now a days.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000

zinc68 posted:

9/10ths of the exterior is pure McLaren F1. The other 1/10th of the car ruins it :(

It's hard to tell but the fake carbon fiber headlight panels had LED 'eyebrows'. Tacky.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Saw this at QT. I rather liked it. Had to chortle at the hellafunctional sticker.

Then I came across this.

:stare::fh:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Saw this at QT. I rather liked it. Had to chortle at the hellafunctional sticker.

so loving nice. Also, I miss Quiktrip's, believe it or not. Diabeetus in a cuuuuup!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Carteret posted:

so loving nice. Also, I miss Quiktrip's, believe it or not. Diabeetus in a cuuuuup!

I loving love QT's. Their stores are so nice and clean.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Cenodoxus posted:

Advance design was the name of Chevy trucks made from 48-55, Task Force was the name from 56-60.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски