Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Oh hey, I was an extra on this last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

TheJoker138 posted:

Woody Harrelson as...Heisenberg.
Before I saw the cast list I thought that was John C. Reily

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

BonoMan posted:

I will never, ever, get tired of that clip.

I show it to anyone who even vaguely knows who Michael Caine is just to have an excuse to watch it again. Their Sean Connerey bit is amazing too.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Lizard Combatant posted:

I show it to anyone who even vaguely knows who Michael Caine is just to have an excuse to watch it again. Their Sean Connerey bit is amazing too.

We're reaching Inception levels of Michael Caine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX0F3kY3uxU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Dick Trauma posted:

We're reaching Inception levels of Michael Caine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX0F3kY3uxU

I love Michael Caine, I wish he would do an official SatNav.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

I've got a real one this time:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I miss the silly phazers and tricorders. :sigh:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I agree, this looks like it's a generic action thriller instead of a Star Trek film. You can't even see Spock's ears clearly.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Me too :(

They're actually holding handguns...

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

What the hell? Why are they wielding handguns?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
"People don't want a Star Trek film that's like the show, no one likes Star Trek. Let's make a film for people who hate Star Trek."

I swear, if this is another 'the villain wanted to be caught!' film, I'm going to... well... express disappointment.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Where's the spaceship. Star Trek is supposed to have spaceships.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Surprised they didn't put the word Star Trek in tiny print above "In the Darkness".

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Cicadalek posted:

Where's the spaceship. Star Trek is supposed to have spaceships.

Some of the best Trek adventures didn't involve the ships in any measurable way.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Aatrek posted:

Some of the best Trek adventures didn't involve the ships in any measurable way.
Star Trek is at its best when it's just an adventure story that involves the human experience and uses space stuff as props. Sort of like all good sci-fi stories really.

It seems like they're not trying to reproduce the last film. That was all spaceship-action. In this one they're going to be on a planet, in civilian clothes, using regular weapons and not special cadet-issue laser zappers. Sure, I'll buy into that.

Anyway, if you want the same old thing there's always half a dozen Trek films that are virtually indistinguishable in their sameness.

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008

Lizard Combatant posted:

I swear, if this is another 'the villain wanted to be caught!' film, I'm going to... well... express disappointment.

What does this even mean?

Anyways, that's a poster. Created at the whim of execs to appeal to the broadest audience possible. Which makes for generic looking crap. I'm sure you guys will get your phazers.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Edit: Beaten like a motherfucker.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 21, 2013

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Look like ten posts above yours.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Red Pyramid posted:

He means the trope of the villain getting caught, and it turns out getting captured was a vital part of his plan (whereupon he hacks the gibson/makes a masterful escape). Bonus trope points if the good guy's leader pitches a hissy fit saying "he did this RIGHT UNDER OUR NOSES", or if the good guys were dumb enough to put some vital macguffin in the same building as the supervillian.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Crackbone posted:

He means the trope of the villain getting caught, and it turns out getting captured was a vital part of his plan (whereupon he hacks the gibson/makes a masterful escape). Bonus trope points if the good guy's leader pitches a hissy fit saying "he did this RIGHT UNDER OUR NOSES", or if the good guys were dumb enough to put some vital macguffin in the same building as the supervillian.
Like Avengers, Dark Knight Rises, and Skyfall?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Red Pyramid posted:

Anyways, that's a poster. Created at the whim of execs to appeal to the broadest audience possible. Which makes for generic looking crap. I'm sure you guys will get your phazers.

That's an international poster to show off the actors in the film; not defending it, but isn't that fairly normal with international marketing?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Aatrek posted:

That's an international poster to show off the actors in the film; not defending it, but isn't that fairly normal with international marketing?

Also, Star Trek has always been much less popular overseas than in the US, so I'm not surprised to see an international poster downplay the "Trekkiness" of it (ie, no Enterprise).

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Canned Panda posted:

I've got a real one this time:

Looks like we are finally getting that Federation Cop Drama we always wanted!

Anyway, this poster is :krad:

thet0wer
Dec 4, 2012

fenix down posted:

Like Avengers, Dark Knight Rises, and Skyfall?

And The Dark Knight.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Barometer posted:

Anyway, this poster is :krad:

Looking at it on my wall right now :cool:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Aatrek posted:

I just watched the '79 movie last night and it had a lot of screentime devoted to showing ships.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

effectual posted:

I just watched the '79 movie last night and it had a lot of screentime devoted to showing ships.

50% of that movie was interior shots of the ship; the next 25% was exterior shots of the ship traveling through the universe's longest hallway, and the other 25% was exposition.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

effectual posted:

He probably meant on the show, even though I'd still argue that the ship was always prominently involved.

Regardless, everything I've seen of this new film looks really off in tone. While the 1st one had plenty of problems, it was at least bright and enough of a space adventure to pass for Trek in a favourable light.

A different tonal treatment would be fine if the story knocked it out of the park, but Hollywood hasn't given me much cause for optimism lately. Prove me wrong Star Trek Into Darkness, prove me wrong.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Lizard Combatant posted:

I kind of assume the twist is that the villain is a good guy who turned bad in order to prepare the Federation for an even bigger, upcoming threat. Cue: third movie.

I'd call it the Darth Revan trope.

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

Ninjas! Ninjas! Ninjas!

If you can rip through reality with them then it's time to cut your nails

The True Professionals..........of...........awkward....pauses

Master of the deadly "Hmmm, not bad." technique

In which the villain is Anthony Kiedis' Dad (no, really)

Ho Ding Pow and Lo Dow Mien sound pretty delicious to me

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!

Dick Trauma posted:

I miss John Cassavetes :smith:

This is a great movie. I really have no idea what you'd make the poster be, though.

Just to give y'all an idea of how things can waver, here's what the DVD cover looks like:

The DVD cover is certainly more accurate in terms of representing the movie's _look_, I'll say that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ShufflerZero posted:

Ninjas! Ninjas! Ninjas!

"Whoa dudes, there's a lot of ninja movies to pick from but let's get this one! Look at how many white guys are in it! You know it's gonna be good!"

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Lobok posted:

"Whoa dudes, there's a lot of ninja movies to pick from but let's get this one! Look at how many white guys are in it! You know it's gonna be good!"
Starring Mr. Harrison, Mr. Smith, Mr. Smith, Mr. Brown

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

How many of those movies have Richard Harrison in them and was he paid for any of them?

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
So I just caught up with this thread and I have to say it's been awesome just to read straight through. So much cool insight into design stuff in general, especially from kiimo- really neat to get insight from somebody working in the industry.

Anyway, I think there were a whole slew of kaiju posters a few pages back, so I'd like to add this:

In season 2 of the Star Wars: The Clone Wars series there was a two-episode kaiju style story arc about a giant creature called the Zillo Beast. This was included in the booklet in the Blu-Ray set.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

ShufflerZero posted:

Ninjas! Ninjas! Ninjas!

:ninja:

In keeping with the ninja theme:

Featuring a Garfield phone, evil toy robots and this guy.

I'm not even kidding.

You can find the whole thing on Youtube in all it's :psyduck: glory!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I have seen that. The blond guy is a reverse Super Saiyan; he removes his wig revealing black hair underneath, and then loses a fight.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Did someone say Richard Harrison? Did someone say Ninjas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqql30HE0To

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

ShufflerZero posted:

Ninjas! Ninjas! Ninjas!

Aaron Eckhart was in ninja movies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

CaptainHollywood posted:

Those Moonbeam films were really ahead of their time.

While I've liked the posters so far, I think this is case of too much of a good thing. Kingsley seems so out of place.

Only slightly better than when Matrix Revolutions attempted that for when it came to DVD.

Is there a version of this with just RDJ and Gyneth Paltrow, without all the other people in the background? Because I think that could be a decent poster.