Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

BANME.sh posted:

I never knew dealextreme sold camera stuff. I just got a IR remote for $2 with free shipping :stare:

Took just shy of 1 month to arrive. A lot better than I was expecting, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

BANME.sh posted:

Took just shy of 1 month to arrive. A lot better than I was expecting, honestly.

I take it that it works as expected? I ordered one too a couple of weeks ago. In my experience 1 month outside of the holiday season is pretty common for dx.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Yup, works perfectly and the camera responds to it instantly.

pal670
Nov 4, 2011
I don't know if it counts as CAMERA gear, but it is needed for my liquid photography, I am looking to buy a SplashArt kit. Gives me far more precise timing in a studio environment.
I am raising funds on IndieGoGo if anyone is so kind as to check it out :) You get some cool rewards too!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3238861&pagenumber=15#post413489846
Loving my new Canon EF 100mm Macro also.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/91308/buydig-rokinon-lenses-35mm-f1.4-lens-from-364-8mm-f3.5-fisheye-lens-from-221-24mm-f1.4-lens

Heads up! BuyDig is running specials on a few Rokinon lenses.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Looking for a wide angle lens for landscape and creative close ups.

Any word on this one: http://www.amazon.com/Tokina-11-16mm-AT-X116-Digital-Cameras/dp/B007ORX8ME/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

The reviews for the similar Tamron weren't very good. The comparable Nikkor has a larger wide open aperture and costs about 400 more.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

beergod posted:

Any word on this one: http://www.amazon.com/Tokina-11-16mm-AT-X116-Digital-Cameras/dp/B007ORX8ME/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

The reviews for the similar Tamron weren't very good. The comparable Nikkor has a larger wide open aperture and costs about 400 more.

Have you looked at the sigma 10-20 as well?

e. I haven't used any of these, but I always hear the sigma come up a bunch.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

beergod posted:

I had the Tokina 11-16 F/2.8 when I had my 7D and it was nice. I can post example if you'd like.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
Please do.

kyy
Apr 27, 2008

beergod posted:

I don't know much about Nikon but I doubt they make an ultra wide zoom with larger than f/2.8 aperture.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

beergod posted:

Please do.

http://imgur.com/a/hembw

beergod
Nov 1, 2004

Those are amazing. I bought the fisheye lens on sale above so we will see how that one works out.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004

kyy posted:

I don't know much about Nikon but I doubt they make an ultra wide zoom with larger than f/2.8 aperture.

Sorry I meant smaller.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
If anyone's interested, I'm asking $295 for my Canon 40D (plus battery grip) in SA Mart.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3538958

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

beergod posted:

Its better than the Nikkor offering. Get it, dont look back.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Hello people who actually know things about cameras, I'm looking for some advice about possibly purchasing or not purchasing a camera. The only thing I currently own that has a camera is my four year old cellphone, but I'm interested in upgrading that to something that isn't a cellphone. But as you can tell, I know nothing about cameras and have no idea on what I should get, if anything at all. I'm currently limited to a budget of about €500-600 max (so $650-800-ish) and would have to start from scratch, whatever I choose. Looking at the My First DSLR thread, it seems like unless there's a really good deal out there, a DSLR might be a bit above my league at the moment. Then again, I'm not sure if an ordinary point and shoot would be enough. The mirrorless cameras look cool as hell, but I have no idea what I'm talking about. Usage-wise, I'm currently studying to become a journalist and I'd like to be able add some pictures to my stories. I'm also interested in photography as a hobby. But because I've got no experience, I'm not sure what I would be shooting. If I had to say something, I'd say landscapes, street photography and portraits.

So basically:

I'm looking for a Thing That Makes Photos, starting from scratch, for a beginner. Budget's €500-600. First hand, second or third hand or how many hands as necessary. Doesn't have to be the newest thing on the market - and not only because of my budget.

Is this realistic with my current budget or should I just wait until the big journalism-bucks start rolling in to buy something?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Your budget is fine - you're looking at second-hand for a DSLR, something that's about 2-3 years old and has been treated reasonably well. Responsible sellers will list the number of shutter actuations (sometimes just "clicks" or "shots" or something like that); DSLRs like to get a bit of service - the shutter is likely the first thing to wear out, it's one of the few moving parts - at around the 100 000 shutter-actuation point.

It's not hard to find something that meets your budget, will let you get as thoroughly involved in this as a hobby as you like (or stay as let-the-camera-make-decisions as you like), with around 20-40K actuations and at least one decent lens. Have another look at the My-First-DSLR thread for brands and models, and of course ask here.

There is a mirrorlesss thread,
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3410935
which includes some useful technical information about what's what.

The standard advice from the point-and-shoot thread is "Buy the most expensive Canon P&S you can afford, ideally something in the S95/S100 line".

The MOST IMPORTANT thing is to fondle some cameras and find out how they fit in your hands. Go to a camera store and ask to play with lots and lots of different cameras (buy a picture frame or get some prints made if you feel guilty about not paying for their time). You'll find out fairly quickly if you like holding a big clunky DSLR, or prefer a mirrorless, or a slim little P&S.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
Can I please have consensus on:

A neutral density filter ( stop down)
Polarizing filter

I'm looking to shoot landscapes and I shoot Nikon

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Marumi and B&W make very good circular polarizers. If I remember correctly, B&W is better, Marumi is meaningfully cheaper.

To save money, buy a single large filter (72mm or 77mm) and just adapt it for smaller filter threads.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Socko posted:

To save money, buy a single large filter (72mm or 77mm) and just adapt it for smaller filter threads.
Just buy a 105mm and adapt it. :getin:

Beergod, buy Marumi or B+W for circular polarizers. I'm listing my 77mm B+W on SA-Mart today if you're interested.

edit: posted in SA-Mart

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 21, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Is anyone here sporting Sigma's new 35mm 1.4? I keep seeing rave review after rave review get posted.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Is anyone here sporting Sigma's new 35mm 1.4? I keep seeing rave review after rave review get posted.

If I weren't being a responsible adult right now, I'd have one to tell you all about. :(

I'm planning on getting one in August though.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The only people I can see buying it are fx Nikon users. Canon has a 35/2 IS, Nikon has a 35/1.8 dx.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

evil_bunnY posted:

The only people I can see buying it are fx Nikon users. Canon has a 35/2 IS, Nikon has a 35/1.8 dx.

:confused: you know there are people who buy the Canon 35mm f/1.4L or the Nikon 35mm f/1.4 AF-S for reasons too, right?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Also the Sigma 35mm f1.4 is about the same price as the Canon 35mm f2.

I'd strongly consider it but I tend to shoot between 50mm and 70mm.

A new 50mm f1.4 from any brand would get my interest going though

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Paragon8 posted:

Yeah, but it's not a Genuine Canon Lens :smug:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Mr. Despair posted:

That's actually one for the "in favor" column.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Mr. Despair posted:

Who the hell shoots Canon when there's a Zeiss in the same focal length? :smug: Ugh, plebes.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

!420 adapt pentax glass to everything everyday.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Why can't every company just make their mounts in the same style as Adaptall I mean COME ON

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I found a bottle of L Complete Care, a little spray bottle of lenscrafter cleaning fluid. It says, "High tech formula makes cleaning any lens fast and easy. Safe and effective on any lens or coating." It also says under cautions "contains Isopropanol".

Can I use this on lenses without the glass melting or anything? I tried it on a viewfinder and it got it nice and sparkly.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I don't think you want to use isoprop alcohol on lenses as they generally have different coatings on them than eyeglasses. I spent the $10 and bought a lens pen which has a brush to clean debris off and a little charcoal nub that absorbs grease/smudges.

e: It probably wouldn't immediately cause damage but over time could cause degradation of the coating, but I'm just speculating, and would not use it.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Ok - better safe than sorry. Thanks for the info. I have been thinking of a lens pen for a while now...I think I'll just go order one.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Shmoogy posted:

I don't think you want to use isoprop alcohol on lenses as they generally have different coatings on them than eyeglasses. I spent the $10 and bought a lens pen which has a brush to clean debris off and a little charcoal nub that absorbs grease/smudges.

e: It probably wouldn't immediately cause damage but over time could cause degradation of the coating, but I'm just speculating, and would not use it.

Modern eyeglasses usually have optional coatings that are almost identical to lens coatings.

But those coatings are also destroyed by isoprop cleaning, and they'll tell you when you buy them never ever wet clean them.

I got the anti-glare (same green/magenta sheen as lenses) on my glasses last time, won't next time because the anti-glare isn't enough of a benefit to justify cleaning being a pain in the rear end.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Paragon8 posted:

The Sigma 30/1.4 is about the same price as the Canon 35/2, the Sigma 35/1.4 is like three times the cost.

I didn't realize Canon had put out a 35/2 IS. $850 is way too much for that, Sony's got a 35/1.8 OSS (IS) for the NEX system for $350 and people are still bitching that it costs more than the Sigma 30/2.8 (which ran a cool $100 for a while there). You could get a Sigma 35/1.4 for that.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 23, 2013

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

The Sigma 30/1.4 is about the same price as the Canon 35/2, the Sigma 35/1.4 is like three times the cost.

I didn't realize Canon had put out a 35/2 IS. $850 is way too much for that, Sony's got a 35/1.8 OSS (IS) for the NEX system for $350 and people are still bitching that it costs more than the Sigma 30/2.8 (which ran a cool $100 for a while there). You could get a Sigma 35/1.4 for that.

Yup. Canon is being pretty weird with its recent lens offerings.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

I've been using a 20D with a Tamron 17-50 and 50mm/1.8 for the last 3 years or so. Mostly just used for taking pictures of cats while on vacation or when out with friends so they know how cool I am to own a DSLR. You know, the usual stuff. It's always been fine, though every now and then I can't get the shot I wanted due to not enough light.

I'm in the process of opening a large resturant/bar, and would like to be able to post nice progress pictures to a blog (which is going to require shooting wider than 17mm), and would like to post pictures of people having fun after it opens (which is going to require better low light performance).

Is it realistic to think that spending $500/$600 on a used 50D/60D is a better use of my money when searching for better low light performance than upgrading to faster lenses? Is there anywhere on the internet that compares noisiness of different ISO settings across cameras? If this upgrade is reasonable, I could then dump ~$500 on a wider lens, and have met my needs for $1000 or so.

Maybe shelling out $1200/$1300 on a used 5DII would be a better use of money? Obviously I'd have to sell my Tamron, but the used price seems to be even higher than what I paid for it new 3 years ago, so that shouldn't be an issue. I'm not too familiar with the selection of wide angle lenses available, would this end up saving me money on a wide angle lens?

Or I could go nuclear and try and convince the other shareholders to chip in for a "company owned" 6D or something crazy. Might be hard to convince them that $/MP isn't the only thing that matters though.

Kreez fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 24, 2013

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Kreez posted:

I'm in the process of opening a large resturant/bar, and would like to be able to post nice progress pictures to a blog (which is going to require shooting wider than 17mm), and would like to post pictures of people having fun after it opens (which is going to require better low light performance).

Frankly I'd skip right over the 50D/60D at this point in favor of something with the NEX-5N sensor (Pentax K-01 or K-5, etc). The 50D/60D make 3200 fairly usable, but the latest generation of cameras can punch it up to around 12,800 with equal results, which is going to be useful in a dim interior setting. Get yourself some fast glass too, something like a normal (~35mm) f/1.8 or f/2. I think 50mm is way too long on a crop sensor for shooting in a bar.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Another option would be to get a hot shoe flash. If your bar is really dark, the barrier you'll run into wont be high ISO capability so much as autofocus performance. A flash with an AF-assist on it will ensure that you get a lock on every time instead of frantically trying over and over again to focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Frankly I'd skip right over the 50D/60D at this point in favor of something with the NEX-5N sensor (Pentax K-01 or K-5, etc). The 50D/60D make 3200 fairly usable, but the latest generation of cameras can punch it up to around 12,800 with equal results, which is going to be useful in a dim interior setting. Get yourself some fast glass too, something like a normal (~35mm) f/1.8 or f/2. I think 50mm is way too long on a crop sensor for shooting in a bar.

I haven't really done any reading on gear since I bought my stuff in the first place, and even then I didn't really look beyond Canon/Nikon. I'll spend some time looking into other platforms.

No matter what body I decide on, I need to buy wider glass. Even with the 17mm of the Tamron I often want to go wider.

edit: whelp, made the mistake of reading the mirrorless thread. Going to be buying an X100s. I'll make the company buy a cheap UWA lens for the 20D to get the interior shots we need. At some point in the next year I'll upgrade the DSLR body for times when 35mm just won't do. Actually I'll probably fall in love with the x100, sell my Canon stuff, and buy an xpro1.

Kreez fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 25, 2013